6.7

U of South Florida

Pak Chung works at

1305 York Avenue

Treated 2014 - 2018
I always did natural cycles (ie. no progesterone shots) prior to transfer [with Dr. Pak Chung]...was caring and always spoke to my husband and I with enthusiasm and a optimistic flair. While he was always brief and to the point, our interactions didn't feel overly clinical...Weakness: Can be rushed. Appointments never started on time (sometimes had to wait 1.5-2 hrs in waiting room). Did not seem overly involved in my case for some rounds of IVF but granted we had gone through 8 egg retrievals together so near the end, I felt I was in good hands with any doctor at the clinic.
Strengths [for nurses at Weill Cornell]: Organized, responsive, good communicators Weakness: None...It [monitoring] was a cattle call and sometimes chaotic. I feel like there has to be a way to automate this more. Operational strategy wasn't superb... Weakness: Could feel like a factory at times...Billing department is terrible. I've had to dispute every single bill I ever received from this clinic, followed by hours of agonizing calls with my insurance company. After requesting a billing audit from my insurance company, I received a refund in excess of $15K (which indicates the level of incompetence of the billing staff).
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Strengths: Direct, intelligent, not patronizing, showed empathy, competent. He will call you on a weekend or late in the evening to check in on you. I've never had doctors call me outside of business hours before so this was appreciated (meaning did not feel like a 9-5 operation). Weakness: Can be rushed. Appointments never started on time (sometimes had to wait 1.5-2 hrs in waiting room). Did not seem overly involved in my case for some rounds of IVF but granted we had gone through 8 egg retrievals together so near the end, I felt I was in good hands with any doctor at the clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He doesn't have a lot of time and always seems a bit rushed so have all your questions ready in advance. Befriend his nurses and his office staff. They are fantastic and will get you the access you need to Dr Chung or answers to questions they themselves can answer. They run a tight ship. It seems like each of the doctors at Weill Cornell have their own support staff so the calibre of that team makes a big difference in your overall experience.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr Chung was caring and always spoke to my husband and I with enthusiasm and a optimistic flair. While he was always brief and to the point, our interactions didn't feel overly clinical.
Describe the protocols Pak Chung used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
Really cannot remember at this point. However, I always did natural cycles (ie. no progesterone shots) prior to transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Christine Wu)
Strengths: Organized, responsive, good communicators Weakness: None
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Strengths: A very well-oiled machine. Weakness: Could feel like a factory at times. You will definitely see women you know in the waiting rooms but cannot really attribute that to the clinic perse. Billing department is terrible. I've had to dispute every single bill I ever received from this clinic, followed by hours of agonizing calls with my insurance company. After requesting a billing audit from my insurance company, I received a refund in excess of $15K (which indicates the level of incompetence of the billing staff).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
It was a cattle call and sometimes chaotic. I feel like there has to be a way to automate this more. Operational strategy wasn't superb.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Honestly cannot remember but each round of IVF was approx. $20-25K (excl genetic testing, incl ICSI, FET, meds)
Describe Pak Chung's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
He felt that multiple embryos was a good strategy for my first transfer as it increased the odds of success. However, after I failed to conceive, I requested that I not "waste" 2 embryos each time and would prefer to only transfer a single. He was completely open to that and subsequent transfers (2x) were successful.
Treated 2015 - 2016
He [Dr. Chung] was really thoughtful, considerate and kind. He is a straight shooter and tells it like it is. He is very busy though and often times it could be hard to get in touch with him. He will eventually return calls but I often felt like there was not a ton of time spent analyzing my difficult case...Never changed my medicine during my actual IVF cycle. I did 6 cycles at this clinic and it was the same medicine / routine over and over again...Always called at night when he said he would.
[Weill Cornell] Strengths: Huge clinic, has had experience with everything, lots of different doctors to consult with for opinions. Weakness: Mad house for monitoring hours, not a lot of specialized patient attention...Long waits, lots of women, cattle call....roughly 25K for IVF cycle plus meds...The nurses always seemed very busy and rushed. They did not have a ton of insight beyond letting me know what my daily medication would be...Never changed my medicine during my actual IVF cycle.
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He was really thoughtful, considerate and kind. He is a straight shooter and tells it like it is. He is very busy though and often times it could be hard to get in touch with him. He will eventually return calls but I often felt like there was not a ton of time spent analyzing my difficult case.
Cornell is a mad house, be ready to wait and be a number.
Spent a lot of time with patients going through the ultrasounds and bloodwork. Always called at night when he said he would.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Long waits, lots of women, cattle call.
roughly 25K for IVF cycle plus meds
What specific things went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
- Never changed my medicine during my actual IVF cycle. I did 6 cycles at this clinic and it was the same medicine / routine over and over again.

Treated 2014 - 2015
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
See prior entry about human vs. number.
With Dr. Chung, specifically, I always felt he tried very hard to be kind and to take the time to explain answers to questions. Before both of my embryo transfers, he called me to discuss the embryo quality and to give me his recommendations. When I had a number of questions, he suggested and did, in fact, meet with me in his office before each transfer to discuss details. Undergoing treatment at Cornell generally, it's virtually impossible not to feel like a number, particularly during the monitoring portion and the retrieval at the hospital. That said, Dr. Chung, at least for me, did his best given his caseload to provide individual care and attention. It was not perfect but overall I felt more like a human than a number under his care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Pak Chung's nurses: Julianna and Christine)
They are incredibly busy but usually return calls within the same business day. All conversations were very rushed so it was important to have a sense of my questions before we spoke.
The experience was hard as it was very impersonal. That said, with such a large volume of patients the focus is almost exclusively on moving people in and out. For this reason, I was usually in and out within 30-45 minutes.
Treated 2015
He [Pak Chung] had a very humane approach to infertility treatment, and even though there were many reasons to suggest donor eggs, he emphasized that I had never done an IVF cycle and that there were also many positive factors in our case...Weill Cornell is a big operation so it is not super personal - I saw many drs other than Dr Chung during the stimulation phase ,and some were really brusque and cold. But I liked how organized the clinic was. It does feel like a factory but the good part of that is you never wait long and they know what they are doing. WHe I did see Dr Chung he was very warm and helpful. His nurses were great communicators.
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Know that Weill Cornell IVF is a bit of a factory and you will mostly be seeing nurses, but that he is overseeing everything. Ask as many questions in advance as you can.
He had a very humane approach to infertility treatment, and even though there were many reasons to suggest donor eggs, he emphasized that I had never done an IVF cycle and that there were also many positive factors in our case.
I don't remember that well - I was also getting IVIG, steroid, and other treatment separately via Dr Jonathan Scher who had diagnosed me with antiphospholipid antibody syndrome and with recurrent miscarriages.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
A bit of a facotry. But very organized.
It was crowded but I never waited more than 20 min. Many days I waited only 5.