UCSF

Nurse available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolTurin
ResidencyYale
FellowshipU. of Pennsylvania
499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Paolo Rinaudo to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UCSF to a friend?
9 Eggs Frozen
I felt he [Dr. Paolo Rinaudo] was very straightforward and kind. He answered all my questions. There is some room for improvement in being proactive in helping me think about decisions involved in doing another round, but I'm not even sure that would have technically been appropriate for him to get involved in my decision making. It would have been great to be able to see him at each ultrasound, too. He didn't do the actual procedure only because he broke his arm.
9 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
I felt he was very straightforward and kind. He answered all my questions. There is some room for improvement in being proactive in helping me think about decisions involved in doing another round, but I'm not even sure that would have technically been appropriate for him to get involved in my decision making. It would have been great to be able to see him at each ultrasound, too. He didn't do the actual procedure only because he broke his arm.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Be proactive in asking questions - he is a research focused and has a tremendous wealth of knowledge. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification even though he talks quickly and is clearly busy, as all doctors are .
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Dr. R was very warm, kind, supportive, as were the nurses at the clinic - wonderful nurses. However each time I went in for an ultrasound leading up to the retrieval, I saw a different person, including the two doctors who performed the procedure (Dr. R broke his arm and was not able to perform the procedure) and I felt that they were not as warm as I would have liked.
Describe the protocols Paolo Rinaudo used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
My hormone treatments were very standard. I don't know that there is any rationale other than, there was no reason to deviate from the standard.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Paula Chavez)
SO VERY kind and supportive. Loved them.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: beautiful facility, wonderful nurses. Fantastic communication. The recovery room played beautiful music and looked out over the bay. Overall I was very pleased. Negatives: I felt hustled along *just a little* during the regular blood / ultrasound visits. It's a complicated process so there is *always* room for improvement in communicating the issues.
$8000
Describe Paolo Rinaudo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
San Francisco
I wouldn't say that Dr. Rinaudo made me feel like a number, but the UCSF clinic environment that he operated in did make me feel anonymous and I didn't necessarily feel like my doctor was strongly invested in the success of my outcome. He is a very kind and genteel person, but he wasn't ever able to offer me insights into why my transfers weren't succeeding or what we might be able to do differently.... My first cycle was cancelled due to poor response to the treatment protocol.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
I felt like Dr. Rinaudo didn't necessarily have a strong investment in my outcome. My first cycle was cancelled due to poor response to the treatment protocol. From then on (subsequent 2 retrievals) he stayed with a protocol that he said was the only / best one for me given my poor response to the first one. The protocol didn't yield very many eggs, and when embryos were cultured out to Day 5 there were even less to work with. He explained it to me as an egg quality issue / limit of my age, which I understand but I always had a nagging feeling that there should be some adjustment tried or even contemplated to get a better result. From my first retrieval, only three Day 5 embryos survived. We transferred them one at a time with no success. I became interested in PGS for my second retrieval as a way to get past my egg quality issues. Dr. Rinaudo tried to explain the risks of the process to me, but I insisted on it because I was trying to "solve the problem" and I suppose I didn't have enough of a sense that he was trying to solve it with as much purpose or passion. So we went for the PGS, and unfortunately ended up with only one embryo to test which came back as anuploid. It was a traumatic experience for me to go through a retrieval process and end up with no embryos to transfer. I ended up taking a four month break so my husband and I could regroup, and then we switched clinics.
I think Dr. Rinaudo could provide more guidance to a couple, to create a more informed process, while still leaving the ultimate decision up to the patient. I think he's a lovely person, and perhaps he and I just didn't have a personality fit, but I felt like I needed more expert guidance from a RE.
I wouldn't say that Dr. Rinaudo made me feel like a number, but the UCSF clinic environment that he operated in did make me feel anonymous and I didn't necessarily feel like my doctor was strongly invested in the success of my outcome. He is a very kind and genteel person, but he wasn't ever able to offer me insights into why my transfers weren't succeeding or what we might be able to do differently. I didn't feel like he was really trying to solve the problem of my case, just repeating the same protocol with no adjustments because he said it was the best / only protocol for me. However, I subsequently switched clinics and have gotten somewhat better results with my retrieval there in terms of the numbers of eggs retrieved (although no positive pregnancy test yet).
Dr. Rinaudo did my first cycle as an antagonist protocol I believe (Gonal F, Ganirelix, Menopur as the primary medications). My body didn't respond well and that cycle was cancelled. For two subsequent retrievals we used a Clomid Flare protocol. I understand this is for poor responders, and that was his rationale for using it. However it resulted in small numbers of eggs (7 one time, 6 the other). I inquired about changing it for my last retrieval with him and he said it was the only / best one for me. However, in a subsequent cycle at a different clinic, my RE has used a different protocol and gotten better results (14 eggs retrieved). So I believe that my nagging feeling that Dr. Rinaudo should have looked at ways to adjust that protocol for me was the correct feeling.
The main nurse I interacted with was honestly a bit brusque and lacking in the compassion that I expected from such a role. One time she actually sort of questioned / almost accused me about having an extra dose of one of my medications when I provided her with a medication inventory for an upcoming cycle (it turns out that she had over-ordered it). And one time she forgot to order needles for one of my injectables and my husband and I had to scramble to get them. We had a communication issue related to my Day 2 embryo report on my second cycle, which left me not knowing whether I would be doing a Day 3 transfer the next day, or whether my embryos would be cultured out to Day 5. It was incredibly stressful. I actually felt mildly uncomfortable with this nurse and did feel like I was a number to her.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I know that UCSF is a center of excellence, and I took great comfort in knowing that I was at one of the country's best centers for reproductive health. However, I think the patient experience comes down to the doctors and nurses you interact with most frequently, and my experiences there during these cycles left me feeling unsure how important my case was and whether everything that could be done for me (as an older patient with poor egg quality) was being done. This is why I switched - I felt like I needed more personalized attention, and I had had a good experience with an RE who had moved on from UCSF so I could compare the approaches. So I went to his clinic after two unsuccessful cycles with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF.
My first retrieval and three transfers were covered by my insurance. My final cycle was a self-pay cycle with a retrieval and PGS but no transfers unfortunately, and I believe it was around $15,000.
Dr. Rinaudo understood that my husband and I were trying to avoid twins, and he was supportive of our decision to only transfer one Day 5 embryo at a time. However, I wish he had educated us more on the statistical probability of that approach actually working out for someone of my age. My current RE let us make the ultimate decision of course, but he did a statistical analysis that showed that we could safely transfer 3 Day 3 embryos at a time to cover the number of embryos that probably wouldn't survive. I know it's difficult to compare Day 5 to Day 3, but I felt like we were making a more informed, rational decision with our current RE than with Dr. Rinaudo.
San Francisco
We had a couple of meetings with Dr. Rinaudo but most of the time, we dealt with his assistant and nurses. At times, I felt like I shouldn't ask too many questions because I sensed that he's busy. It's not that Dr. Rinaudo was unfriendly, it's just that I didn't feel like he genuinely cared. I am just one of the many patients he's treating...He also didn't follow up after the treatment when it resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
I guess I will say be firm and make sure you get to speak to him when you really need to
Dr. Rinaudo gave me a sense that he is very busy. It's not that he would cut you off but I was given the impression that my time is up when I asked a lot of questions. He also didn't follow up after the treatment when it resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
I was on the Estrace Priming Antagonist protocol. Since it was my first IVF, Dr Rinaudo said we would go with this and adjust accordingly. We didn't have to adjust anything so I think he selected the right protocol. However, of the 15 eggs retrieved, only 5 fertilized.
Paula was great and very helpful. However, I had a sense that she was too busy.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I like the facility and location. Everything is new and clean. I do think they are understaffed as everyone seems to be running from one thing to the next. There are some REs that are better than others but those are booked months if not years ahead so as a new patient, I'd recommend you do your research and choose the physician you want to see instead of being assigned one.
Around $15000
I've been reading more about the risks of multiple embryo transfer and I think going forward, I would do PGS and single embryo transfer.
2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
He [Dr. Rinaudo] took the time to listen to my concerns and offer options for my treatment goals. I felt like he was the subject matter expert I needed to be successful....He spent enough time with me to get a sense of my goals with respect to being able to freeze embryos and eggs, if possible. I knew my age was my biggest obstacle and he set a realistic expectation. I knew not to expect huge numbers of follicles at age 39, so I appreciated his directness/candor to hope for 10 at best.
2 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Come with a list of questions because he is busy and it will take a couple of days to get an email response.
He took the time to listen to my concerns and offer options for my treatment goals. I felt like he was the subject matter expert I needed to be successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Norma)
Norma and Kat have been great at relaying information.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF CRH is new and very clean. The parking is a nightmare, but that is to be expected in SF. Weakness is the silo of information. Billing and scheduling are not in sync. Good luck reaching anyone via phone. After your initial consultation, you are given emails to the key groups. Email early and often because you may not get a response.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
Everyone comes in from 7-9a and it seems as though those hours are the hardest to get specific information.
$14k without meds
2010 - 2011
3 IUI, IVF
Dr. Rinaudo was knowledgeable, kind, realistic and pragmatic. However, he was never the physician that treated me during the actual IUI or IVF process. I went through IUI 3 times and IVF 3 times.
2010 - 2011
3 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
I thought he was fine - not great but fine thus hard to give feedback
I had mixed experience at UCSF but overall it was positive and the nurses and staff were caring. There were times when I would deal with someone that was less sensitive or knowledgeable about me and my treatment and this was primarily during IUI (which was a waste of time and money). During the IVF process it was a much better experience even though the first two times resulted in a negative pregnancy test but we ended up with a healthy child so overall experience was positive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF.
They were compassionate
15 Eggs Frozen
I really enjoyed meeting Dr Rinaudo. He was very clear about treatment options and about expectation. Treatment details were clearly explained. I felt I received the appropriate information to make an educated choice...Dr Rinaudo was very kind and provided valuable information, including a small book he wrote about fertility...he used a standard protocol with ganyrelix...the clinic [UCSF] is very busy but I felt that the care received was excellent.
15 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Do not hesitate to ask questions!
he used a standard protocol with ganyrelix
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: 2 nurses, excellent)
the nursing staff was very helpful and responsive
Describe your experience with UCSF.
the clinic is very busy but I felt that the care received was excellent.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
the monitoring visits were efficient and overall on time
10k
we focused on the egg freezing process
San Francisco
Dr Rinaudo was extremely kind and polite. He offered honest care and he was very helpful. The information provided were clear. We knew what to expect at every step. We had a fantastic experience and would definitely recommend him to others...do not hesitate to call his nurse with questions. Dr Rinaudo will call you right back
he was great and kind
we started with IVF because of long history of infertility. His treatment resulted in an excellent response
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Paula)
Paula was great and very responsive to questions and problems
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is an incredible place. It is new and very beautiful
15k
Endometriosis, Unexplained
He's [Dr. Rinaudo] warm and engaging. He's also busy, and our case didn't require a ton of supervision, so, although we had the sense that he was monitoring our treatments, he outsourced the basic stuff to other members of the team. We really only saw him once. . .Be upfront and candid with him...He's a warm and easy to work with individual. Clinic runs like a machine, but is personal...
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
He's warm and engaging. He's also busy, and our case didn't require a ton of supervision, so, although we had the sense that he was monitoring our treatments, he outsourced the basic stuff to other members of the team. We really only saw him once. . .
Be upfront and candid with him.
No idea.
Lovely. Well staffed, tons of people, and warm and easy-to-work-with staff.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Upper-crust, scientifically-up-to-date academic medical center. Unlike the rest of UCSF, runs well. Billing is a mess.
Still unclear.
3 IUI, 7 IVF, Egg Freezing
Nice doctor who cared. Great, helpful, kind.
3 IUI, 7 IVF, Egg Freezing
Great, helpful, kind
Good option
Nice doctor who cared
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Paula)
Paula was great, but there's still a lot you need to be on top of yourself.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF.
approx $10k for everything?