3.7

Paolo Rinaudo works at

499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158

2022, Successful
We came in knowing very little and he [Dr. Paolo Rinaudo] took the time to explain and made sure we understood the process also gave us options. He was a very nice dr whom showed he cared and wanted us to walk out understanding the process...He suggested single If multiple embryos we can freeze and try one at a time... Was also very warm and caring. He walked us through the whole process and steps.
The [UCSF] front office is great very nice, his nurse however was rude not nice at all. After the first consultation they make sure to send you what you need to do next thru the portal and you can call the front office for any questions very organized professional and nice...We have just begun our process. We paid 440$ for the first initial consultation which included the ultrasound. It is very pricey but if that is what it takes for us to start our own family it is worth it.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
We came in knowing very little and he took the time to explain and made sure we understood the process also gave us options. He was a very nice dr whom showed he cared and wanted us to walk out understanding the process
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Write down all your questions because he is very good at explaining
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
I felt like a human because he took the time to explain the procedure and what to expect and was very patient and thorough with his explanations. Was also very warm and caring. He walked us through the whole process and steps.
Describe the protocols Paolo Rinaudo used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
We had a consultation along with an ultrasound and he explained our options and explained the ultrasound results very thoroughly
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF.
She was rude and made us feel uncomfortable but the dr was great She was rude , and didn’t answer our questions and did not answer in comments Maybe she was having a bad day.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The front office is great very nice, his nurse however was rude not nice at all. After the first consultation they make sure to send you what you need to do next thru the portal and you can call the front office for any questions very organized professional and nice
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF.
Describe Paolo Rinaudo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
He suggested single If multiple embryos we can freeze and try one at a time
San Francisco

At start of consultation I was 38 with low ovarian reserve (3 follicles barely 4mm each, FSH 11.2) My husband was 35 and with history of chemo due pancreatic cancer. He [Dr. Rinaudo] said IUI would be the less aggressive route since we wanted to avoid IVF ... Dr. Rinaudo it's one of the most compassionate and caring doctors ice ever dealt with. He was candid, expressed concern and helped with decision making applying evidence based expected outcomes specific to our case
The rooms could be a little "less medical" feeling but honestly I didn't care about going to a foofy clinic. I cared about the expertise and everyone at RHC has been wonderful! ... Both Kat and Norma [nurses] are so fast in responding and so organized. They're always communicating with each other and made every step of the process seamless! They're absolutely the best supporting team I'm ever worked with!
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Dr. Rinaudo made this difficult and scary process just the opposite. He explained everything very clearly and set realistic expectations. My husband was just a couple of years post pancreatic cancer treatment when we first saw Dr. Rinaudo and we assumed the issue was just a male factor but when I got tested and discovered that I had a very low ovarian reserve (only 3 follicles and barely 4mm each during pelvic US) we realized our situation just became tenfold more complex. I was 38 at the time so it wasn't statistically surprising but it was definitely emotionally shocking to find out nevertheless, considering I've always been healthy. After 3 cycles of IUI didn't work Dr. Rinaudo recommended IVF. Having lost my childhood best friend to breast cancer at the age of 33 shortly after IVF, the thought of it was terrifying. Though the statistics aren't clear that IVF causes cancer, I've personally witnessed too many cases. We discussed this with Dr. Rinaudo and he explained that it is important to consider that it's not just IVF but the ongoing hormone surges throughout pregnancy that could trigger cancer. This shed more light on the subject but didn't make going through IVF more enticing. We agreed with my husband that if we came to the point where IVF was the only option we'd get further genetic testing for cancer. This is the ONLY weakness that I would say Dr. Rinaudo has. Neither HE nor ANY medical professional was the one to suggest this test, despite my husband's history of cancer and my Ashkenazi background. Once we told him we want to do the genetic testing, Dr. Rinaudo very quickly arranged for us to meet with a wonderful generic counselor who performed the saliva test. After a few weeks we were contacted by the same genetic counselor who gave us the terrific news that my husband was clear of any genetic cancers (which was my biggest fear) and followed the news my revealing that I have the BRCA2 gene (a fear we didn't anticipate). Now I was even more glad we did the test but even more confused by why NOBODY ever suggests to get this test done considering 1 in 40 people of Jewish descent have some form of the BRCA gene. We decided for me do a double mastectomy and reconstruction and put IVF on hold until I recovered. Now I'm recovered and less fearful of going through IVF. Now I'm ready to get back on track to starting a family.
Pick his brain. He's brilliant. But do your research and be your own advocate in the process. This would apply to any doctor as well.
Dr. Rinaudo it's one of the most compassionate and caring doctors ice ever dealt with. He was candid, expressed concern and helped with decision making applying evidence based expected outcomes specific to our case.
At start of consultation I was 38 with low ovarian reserve (3 follicles barely 4mm each, FSH 11.2) My husband was 35 and with history of chemo due pancreatic cancer. Double whammy! He said IUI would be the less aggressive route since we wanted to avoid IVF possible so he said we'd give no more than 3 cycles a try then move on to IVF. 3 cycles of IUI resulted in 0 pregnancies.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Kat and Norma)
Both Kat and Norma are so fast in responding and so organized. They're always communicating with each other and made every step of the process seamless! They're absolutely the best supporting team I'm ever worked with!
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The clinic is started off the art and overall beautiful. The rooms could be a little "less medical" feeling but honestly I didn't care about going to a foofy clinic. I cared about the expertise and everyone at RHC has been wonderful!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF.
We were fortunate to have Cobra insurance coverage under my husband's previous employer in Massachusetts which covered all fertility treatment. We no longer have this coverage and were quoted about $15,000 not including medications per cycle for out of pocket cost.
Dr. Rinaudo suggested single embryo transfer to avoid potential risks associated with potentialof multiples based on our situation and my age

2017 - 2018, 9 Eggs Frozen
I felt he [Dr. Paolo Rinaudo] was very straightforward and kind. He answered all my questions. There is some room for improvement in being proactive in helping me think about decisions involved in doing another round, but I'm not even sure that would have technically been appropriate for him to get involved in my decision making. It would have been great to be able to see him at each ultrasound, too. He didn't do the actual procedure only because he broke his arm.
Strengths [for UCSF]: beautiful facility, wonderful nurses. Fantastic communication. The recovery room played beautiful music and looked out over the bay. Overall I was very pleased. Negatives: I felt hustled along *just a little* during the regular blood / ultrasound visits. It's a complicated process so there is *always* room for improvement in communicating the issues.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
I felt he was very straightforward and kind. He answered all my questions. There is some room for improvement in being proactive in helping me think about decisions involved in doing another round, but I'm not even sure that would have technically been appropriate for him to get involved in my decision making. It would have been great to be able to see him at each ultrasound, too. He didn't do the actual procedure only because he broke his arm.
Be proactive in asking questions - he is a research focused and has a tremendous wealth of knowledge. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification even though he talks quickly and is clearly busy, as all doctors are .
Dr. R was very warm, kind, supportive, as were the nurses at the clinic - wonderful nurses. However each time I went in for an ultrasound leading up to the retrieval, I saw a different person, including the two doctors who performed the procedure (Dr. R broke his arm and was not able to perform the procedure) and I felt that they were not as warm as I would have liked.
My hormone treatments were very standard. I don't know that there is any rationale other than, there was no reason to deviate from the standard.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Paula Chavez)
SO VERY kind and supportive. Loved them.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: beautiful facility, wonderful nurses. Fantastic communication. The recovery room played beautiful music and looked out over the bay. Overall I was very pleased. Negatives: I felt hustled along *just a little* during the regular blood / ultrasound visits. It's a complicated process so there is *always* room for improvement in communicating the issues.
$8000

1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
He [Dr. Rinaudo] took the time to listen to my concerns and offer options for my treatment goals. I felt like he was the subject matter expert I needed to be successful....He spent enough time with me to get a sense of my goals with respect to being able to freeze embryos and eggs, if possible. I knew my age was my biggest obstacle and he set a realistic expectation. I knew not to expect huge numbers of follicles at age 39, so I appreciated his directness/candor to hope for 10 at best.
UCSF CRH is new and very clean. The parking is a nightmare, but that is to be expected in SF. Weakness is the silo of information. Billing and scheduling are not in sync. Good luck reaching anyone via phone. After your initial consultation, you are given emails to the key groups. Email early and often because you may not get a response.... Getting the estimate of costs was very challenging. I wanted to have this addressed before my first monitoring appt and it arrived at around 6p the night before.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Come with a list of questions because he is busy and it will take a couple of days to get an email response.
He took the time to listen to my concerns and offer options for my treatment goals. I felt like he was the subject matter expert I needed to be successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Norma)
Norma and Kat have been great at relaying information.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
Everyone comes in from 7-9a and it seems as though those hours are the hardest to get specific information.
$14k without meds
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
Getting the estimate of costs was very challenging. I wanted to have this addressed before my first monitoring appt and it arrived at around 6p the night before. The billing aspect seems very disconnected.
2017, 15 Eggs Frozen
I really enjoyed meeting Dr Rinaudo. He was very clear about treatment options and about expectation. Treatment details were clearly explained. I felt I received the appropriate information to make an educated choice...Dr Rinaudo was very kind and provided valuable information, including a small book he wrote about fertility...he used a standard protocol with ganyrelix...the clinic [UCSF] is very busy but I felt that the care received was excellent.
How was your experience with Paolo Rinaudo at UCSF?
Do not hesitate to ask questions!
he used a standard protocol with ganyrelix
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: 2 nurses, excellent)
the nursing staff was very helpful and responsive
Describe your experience with UCSF.
the clinic is very busy but I felt that the care received was excellent.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
the monitoring visits were efficient and overall on time
10k
we focused on the egg freezing process
San Francisco
Dr Rinaudo was extremely kind and polite. He offered honest care and he was very helpful. The information provided were clear. We knew what to expect at every step. We had a fantastic experience and would definitely recommend him to others...do not hesitate to call his nurse with questions. Dr Rinaudo will call you right back
UCSF is an incredible place. It is new and very beautiful...the billing department was not efficient...[Nurse] Paula was great and very responsive to questions and problems...Dr Rinaudo was extremely kind and polite. He offered honest care and he was very helpful. The information provided were clear. We knew what to expect at every step. We had a fantastic experience and would definitely recommend him to others.
he was great and kind
we started with IVF because of long history of infertility. His treatment resulted in an excellent response
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Paula)
Paula was great and very responsive to questions and problems
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is an incredible place. It is new and very beautiful
15k
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
the billing department was not efficient