Medical SchoolEmory
FellowshipU. of North Carolina
1025 Morehead Medical Drive
Charlotte, NC 28204
704-355-3149
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Paul Marshburn to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Carolinas Medical Center to a friend?
[Dr. Marshburn's] bedside manner was exactly what we needed — truthful, to the point and compassionate... He cares about his patients’ health first and foremost. He never pushed an agenda and allowed my body’s response (and that of my husband’s) to guide the process. He saw me as an individual and always put me first — over any possible outcome. But mostly he was kind and he answered ALL of my questions with knowledge and experience. I can’t imagine having trusted anyone else to get us where we are today.
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
From day one, Dr. Marshburn was kind and informative. His bedside manner was exactly what we needed — truthful, to the point and compassionate. And not only that, but when he helped pioneer the fertility clinic years ago, he fought to make it affordable for the folks who worked for the hospital. Which, in my case, was extremely beneficial as it gave me incredible financial assistance/benefits for pursuing help with our fertility. He cares about his patients’ health first and foremost. He never pushed an agenda and allowed my body’s response (and that of my husband’s) to guide the process. He saw me as an individual and always put me first — over any possible outcome. But mostly he was kind and he answered ALL of my questions with knowledge and experience. I can’t imagine having trusted anyone else to get us where we are today.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
Ask questions! He’ll answer them honestly and he has a great way of explaining things so that they make sense. The body is so complex but he makes it more easily understood and will go out of his way to make sure you understand what’s going on.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
The entire staff at this location treated my husband and I with respect and kindness. They went out of their way to make us comfortable, speak the truth, and cheer alongside of us during our TTC journey. We were seen as individuals, not statistics, and were treated as though our situation was unique (because it was). I can’t imagine having worked with anyone else.
Describe the protocols Paul Marshburn used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
From the beginning, it was determined that I had a low average egg supply. He never pushed us one way or another but always made it clear what our options were. He was always good about recommending what he believed was clinically best for us but never pushed anything on us. As our infertility was considered “unexplained”, He recommended pursuing several rounds of IUI as this was least invasive. As two rounds failed, he then explained the benefit of pursuing IVF due to my lower egg supply but also that it would increase the likelihood that we could conceive. Granted, we were blessed in that we had a lot of financial assistance through my insurance which allowed us to consider this option sooner. He ultimately always left the decision up to us but always made sure we had the information and the time to make the decision. We chose to do IVF after two rounds of IUI. We retrieved 18 eggs, 6 were frozen, and one was implanted. Dr. Marshburn did not recommend transferring more than one egg at a time given my age (I’m under 35 so the chances of one working was high enough) and he didn’t want to risk multiple embryos sticking as this can pose some increased health risks to me and/or the babies themselves. We completed a fresh transfer with one embryo and became pregnant during that cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center.
She was the best listener and communicator. I always left knowing what the next step was and it felt as though she walked alongside me — rooting for us and cheering for us. She seemed just as excited that our transfer was successful as we were. I never felt alone and words can’t express what that does for someone going through such a stressful and emotional experience.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
They’re very careful about the privacy of their patients and the continuum of care across facilities (labs, OBs, etc). They made sure nothing fell through the cracks and made sure you left feeling taken care of. They offered snacks in the lobby and went out of their way to be aware of the emotions of their clients (i.e. their clinic was set up beside another clinic that had frequent pregnant women coming in and out — they provide separate nursing rooms for nursing moms so that the women in the clinic are not watching this occur as even that can be emotionally painful).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center.
~15,000 for meds and procedures.
Describe Paul Marshburn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
I appreciated the concern he had for my health. It felt as though he was just as concerned about my personal health than a successful transfer. Which made me trust him more.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr Marshburn is an outstanding Dr. he is kind and compassionate and wants you to fully understand the process and anything you have questions about. He is happy to discuss percentages and what ifs etc. He doesn’t rush you and is easy to talk to.... The protocol after the femera and IUIs did not work was IVF. I used lupron, menopur and gonal F and ovidril trigger and crinone. For the later FET for a 2nd I used estradiol, vivelle patches and progesterone in oil shots.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
Write out questions you have ahead of time so you do not forget to ask something. Also if you have records from another hospital/practice bring copies because we had trouble with them being able to access them even though the other practice said they sent them.
Dr Marshburn is warm and kind and takes time with you as a patient. Jen is happy to explain anything and you feel he truly cares.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Libby Boatwright)
The entire staff is wonderful and compassionate. I mainly worked with Joanna and Libby but also worked with Jenny and Bethany. They are al very kind and happy to help you in any way. They treat you like friends.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Parking and validation is easy. Great hours. Not usually a long wait. The place to have blood drawn is on another floor and can have a wait depending on the time of day. The clinic waiting room is adjacent to MFM so you can easily and often see pregnant women/kids.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Carolinas Medical Center.
Monitoring was efficient and well run.
I believe the IVF cycle including meds and retrieval and transfer etc was around 15000. A frozen transfer including meds was around 4000-5000
He felt there was a greater risk to transferring two especially for the first transfer.
2013 - 2016
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Marshburn was wonderful. Before my first ever visit he had reviewed all tests and information sent over from my gynecologist and was prepared with a plan before we even spoke...He was very confident and easy to speak with. I would have liked to have had more interaction with him versus just the nurses but enjoyed the appointments where I met with him. ...I don't have a single negative thing to say about him... He is willing to listen and work with you
2013 - 2016
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Marshburn was wonderful. Before my first ever visit he had reviewed all tests and information sent over from my gynecologist and was prepared with a plan before we even spoke. As our conversation progressed he made changes based on the information he got from me and went from there. He was very confident and easy to speak with. I would have liked to have had more interaction with him versus just the nurses but enjoyed the appointments where I met with him. Once we became pregnant he was present during the initial ultrasound and explained everything to us in detail and asked us to please update him when our son was bored. I was impressed when I did and actually received an email back from him. It was so nice. When going back to him to try for a second child he again had read up on everything and even remembered the notebook I kept with me at every appointment. I don't have a single negative thing to say about him.
Go in with all your details. He is willing to listen and work with you but be prepared so as not to prolong the process.
The staff was friendly and some even remembered by name by sight and not just the chart. They always were personable which was very nice. When I got my first ever positive two nurses even jumped up and down with joy when I went in for my BETA.
1) first cycle was 50mg clomid days 4-8 to which I did not respond so we proceeded with 100mg clomid days 12-16. I had a 18mm follicle on my LT ovary. Triggered on CD 20. IUI on CD 22. Negative outcome 2) Switched to Femara based on the nasty side effects I had from the clomid. 5mg femara days 4-8. I had a 23mm and 17mm follicle on my RT ovary on CD 14. Triggered that night and IUI on CD 15. Negative outcome 3) 5mg Femara on days 3-7. I had a 22mm follicle on my RT ovary on CD 11. Triggered CD 12. IUI on CD 14. Positive beta 14DPIUI. Live birth at 40w1d. 4) 5mg Femara on days 4-8. I had a 19.5mm follicle on LT ovary on CD15. Triggered CD16. IUI on CD18. Negative outcome. 5) 5mg Femara on days 3-7. I had a 24mm and 19mm follicle on LT ovary on CD11. Triggered that night and IUI on CD13. Negative outcome 6) 5mg Femara on days 3-7. I had a 24mm and 15mm follicle on LT ovary on CD10. Triggered that night and IUI on CD12. Negative outcome 7) 5mg Femara on days 3-7. I had a 16mm follicle on LT ovary and a 19mm and 16mm follicle on RT ovary on CD10. Triggered on CD11 and IUI on CD13. Negative outcome. Negative outcome After the 4th failed IUI for our second child we decided to move onto IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center.
They were always welcoming and tried to remember something small about each of their patients. They were always compassionate and very informative. They were prompt with their call-backs and always willing to answer questions I had.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
The clinic is great. It's set inside a hospital so it's a little cumbersome to get to but the clinic validates your parking and gives clear instructions so it's not so bad. The clinic itself is very clean and has everything you need to be treated. Their hours for follicle checks are amazing and very helpful for a working couple.
Each IUI cost approx $600-$700 including medications.
Charlotte
Dr. Marshburn is pleasant and takes his time to talk to you. I wish he was able to explain our unexplained infertility, but I guess sometimes no one can! I feel like he put us on the typical and usually prescribed track of 3 IUIs, then IVF. I wish there were more things we could try to diagnose and try before having to fork over $20k for IVF.
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
He is pleasant and takes his time to talk to you. I wish he was able to explain our unexplained infertility, but I guess sometimes no one can! I feel like he put us on the typical and usually prescribed track of 3 IUIs, then IVF. I wish there were more things we could try to diagnose and try before having to fork over $20k for IVF.
Don't expect to see him often. You will most often deal with the nurses instead. Doctor appts are mostly for initial consults only.
The doctor forgot that we were new to all of this and he used terminology and abbreviations that were foreign to us. We had to ask him to stop and clarify a few times. He breezed over the descriptions of procedure protocols and highly recommended that we just read up on the prodedures ourselves on the American Reproductive Society's website. As he only addressed everything on a high-level, he was unable to address the nitty-gritty details of IUI testing and IVF scheduling. I felt that I would have liked to talked to both the doctor and a nurse at the same time during my dr meetings, as the nurses are the ones who hold more knowledge on the day-to-day workings of the lab/office/hospital and who can answer all my questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Kathleen Bratschi)
She was our biggest advocate. She was always prompt in answering my questions and phone calls. She was always able to address and explain all the issues and questions I had that the doctor was not able to answer (due to not being available to me). She was patient and kind, which made the process a bit less painful for me.
Charlotte
Dr. Marshburn is patient and respectful. He understood our health issues, listened to our concerns and provided us with a well organized plan to conceive...Be patient. Dr. Marshburn and his team are fantastic, but this can be a long process filled with many tests and visits. You will understand what is being done each step of the way, though. You are in good hands!
How was your experience with Paul Marshburn at Carolinas Medical Center?
The team is fantastic and really tailors your care to your individual situation and preferences. They also know me by name and treat me with kindness and compassion.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
This clinic operates like a well oiled machine. Everyone is kind and compassionate and the team responds to phone calls in a timely manner.
Monitoring appointments are easy! You arrive early in the morning and are generally seen within 15 minutes or less.