Strongly recommend: 50%Don't recommend: 50%5

13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192
703-680-1770

1 patient review filtered by:

[Protocol with Dr. Paul Shin] Varicocele surgery and follow up sperm analyses...At the consultation, Dr. Shin listened to what we had been through and decided to perform an exam on my husband. During the exam he discovered the fertility issue - a varicocele which explained the sperm issues we saw in the analysis and is a cause of male factor infertility...My husband and I had gone through a year of infertility treatments abroad (IUI, injectable hormones with timed intercourse, 6 months of femara) with no success before we saw Dr. Shin...After so much mystery surrounding our infertility, it felt like a huge relief to have an answer!
Varicocele surgery and follow up sperm analyses [with Dr. Paul Shin at Shady Grove Fertility]...I think Shady Gove Fertility is one of the only clinics that employs a urologist! It speaks to their commitment to trying to figure out the cause the fertility issues and the best way to treat patients...At the consultation, Dr. Shin listened to what we had been through and decided to perform an exam on my husband. During the exam he discovered the fertility issue - a varicocele which explained the sperm issues we saw in the analysis and is a cause of male factor infertility...
How was your experience with Paul Shin at Shady Grove Fertility?
At the consultation, Dr. Shin took my husband to room to examine him and then he came back and got me where he showed me a clearly formed varicocele that was so apparent it could be seen with the naked eye! He used an ultrasound to show us how large it was. After so much mystery surrounding our infertility, it felt like a huge relief to have an answer! Research showed us that up to 40% of males with a varicocele experience trouble conceiving. After Dr. Shin discovered the varicocele, we recommended a few options including surgery. Because we wanted multiple children and our age, we decided to pursue IVF AND also varicocele surgery with the hope that we might be able to conceive naturally in the future. He performed the surgery in August 2017. Subsequent sperm analysis showed improvement. Dr. Shin stayed in touch with us and consulted with us on the improvements. Following the surgery, we had my husband's sperm analyzed several times and it showed improvement. This was encouraging news. In May 2018, we welcomed out son who had been conceived via IVF. In May 2019, we started TTC naturally and became pregnant NATURALLY 6 months later! We are expecting our son in April 2020. We truly believe that the surgery Dr. Shin performed helped us conceive our son and are so grateful to him. He is a very easy going, compassionate individual with a great sense of humor who guided us during a difficult time and helped us achieve our dream of expanding our family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Shin at Shady Grove Fertility?
If sperm analyses have shown that there are factors below normal range, please see a urologist, specifically Dr. Shin! So many times clinics only look at the woman when male factor infertility can play a role 50% of the time! Because we saw Dr. Shin we were able to tackle the fertility issue and conceive naturally!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Shin at Shady Grove Fertility?
My husband and I had gone through a year of infertility treatments abroad (IUI, injectable hormones with timed intercourse, 6 months of femara) with no success before we saw Dr. Shin. Some of my husband's sperm numbers in the sperm analysis, specifically morphology, were below the normal range. While the flags were apparent in terms of issues related to sperm, the doctors we saw previously did not look into my husband and what might be causing our fertility issues and said we had unexplained infertility. At the consultation, Dr. Shin listened to what we had been through and decided to perform an exam on my husband. During the exam he discovered the fertility issue - a varicocele which explained the sperm issues we saw in the analysis and is a cause of male factor infertility.
Describe the protocols Paul Shin used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Varicocele surgery and follow up sperm analyses.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paul Shin at Shady Grove Fertility.
The varicocele surgery was completely covered by insurance (Aetna).
Paul Shin