Oregon Health Sciences University

Doctor available by emailNurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Toronto
ResidencyU. of Toronto
FellowshipUCSD
3303 S.W. Bond Avenue
Portland, OR 97239
503 418-4500
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Paula Amato to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Oregon Health Sciences University to a friend?
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Other
More clinical than personable, which was OK with me. Follow up was my biggest frustration-- She [Dr. Amato] and the rest of the OHSU team never finalized protocols until I was mid cycle (i.e. had been on BC for a week or two) which meant I was in the dark and I was always scrambling to get medication in time. Conversations after failed pregnancies weren't very sympathetic, after the third chemical pregnancy she suggested I go to another doctor.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Other
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
More clinical than personable, which was OK with me. Follow up was my biggest frustration-- She and the rest of the OHSU team never finalized protocols until I was mid cycle (i.e. had been on BC for a week or two) which meant I was in the dark and I was always scrambling to get medication in time. Conversations after failed pregnancies weren't very sympathetic, after the third chemical pregnancy she suggested I go to another doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
If you're fine with "going with the flow" than Dr. Amato is good for you. If you like to be in control and plan a lot of ahead of time I would have reservations.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Always remembered my information but conversations felt rote, received a few "I don't know, that's a drag" in response to chemical pregnancies.
Describe the protocols Paula Amato used in your cycles at Oregon Health Sciences University and their degree of success.
Long lupron protocol, 1 menopur & 150 gonal f, stimmed for 11 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Hannah)
Hannah was wonderful. She was compassionate and always willing to have a long explanatory conversation when she it was something she could explain. When it wasn't, she was great at finding the answer and getting back to me in a reasonable amount of time.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Overall I like the clinic. The biggest frustration is with the late setting of protocols and lack of communication that sometime comes with this. Some cycles were better than others, and others I was having to get medication last minute (and pay a premium to do so) because it took so long. Similarly, when someone was on vacation or the schedule is out of the norm the communication sometimes broke down (i.e., not getting my transfer instructions at all because they occurred after a holiday. I took the wrong medication as a result).
What specific things went wrong at Oregon Health Sciences University?
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Amato is passionate about her work, as evidenced by the fact that she is/was on the ethics committee for SART. I get the impression she lives and breathes her work and is very invested in the success of her patients...Dr. Amato was candid but always present and ready to answer questions either online or while on call. I felt she was very interested in our success, not just for her numbers but because she believes in her work...
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Pick her even if you have to wait longer for the appointment. Hard as it may be, try to keep your emotions in check and listen objectively to the facts, otherwise feelings cloud your judgment and you forget to ask the important questions.
We did IUI twice, at our insistence, and both failed. We quickly moved to egg donor (fresh cycle). I used estradiol for a while (no memory of the dose or duration; tablets) followed by 12 long weeks of progesterone in oil shots (2 ml I think, but its a blur). I didn't really mind the estradiol like some people except it gave me headaches. The POI was awful for the first few weeks, but I got used to it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University.
God I wish I could recall her name. She was an absolute sweetheart. She endured the most trivial of questions and always got back to me quickly if she needed to consult the RE.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Very professional, private, elegant space in a new building. The egg donor pool was limited in number and limited to in-house only. I don't know if they allow outside donors but I don't think so.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University.
I think the bottom line was about $25K. Nothing was covered by insurance
Portland
Dr. Amato was very honest with us but cancelled egg retrieval during our first cycle of treatment due to not enough eggs being produced... She was honest with us but a bit pessimistic about our chances. A bit more optimism would have been nice. She prescribed Menopur but cancelled egg retrieval during our first cycle of treatment. We spent a lot of money on the Menopur, so we were quite disappointed that this did not lead to any success.
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Be aware that if you're not a very good candidate for using your own eggs in an in vitro fertilization attempt, she'll likely stop your cycle and try to push you towards donor egg IVT.
225 units of Menopur daily, starting on day 3 after start of period
We thought the nurses were very good, well trained, and professional
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Strengths: pharmacy in same building, easy to get to, free parking, comfortable, new facilities. Weaknesses: did not strive to get insurance to cover some of treatment. Not everything needs to be specifically filed as infertility, forcing the patient to pay 100%.
Intrauterine insemination endocrine management $475 Follicular scans $1300 Blood draws $130 Intrauterine insemination $283 Sperm prep $180 Estradiol $320 Progesterone $85 HCG $60 Menopur $1226 Progesterone suppositories $136