Medical SchoolU. of Toronto
FellowshipUCSD
3303 S.W. Bond Avenue
Portland, OR 97239
503 418-4500
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Paula Amato to a friend?

5.3

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Oregon Health Sciences University to a friend?
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Dr. Amato was lovely and very easy to work with. She wasn't the most talkative person, but she was always there to answer questions we had, which was great ... She wasn't the one to usually initiate conversations, so we learned to have a list of everything we wanted to know for visits. We saw her very rarely, and mostly dealt with nurses or other doctors, though she was our main doctor.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Dr. Amato was lovely and very easy to work with. She wasn't the most talkative person, but she was always there to answer questions we had, which was great..............................................................
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Prepare every question you could ever have about the process, and have it with you for the appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Dr. Amato was very nice, and answered all questions we asked of her. She wasn't the one to usually initiate conversations, so we learned to have a list of everything we wanted to know for visits. We saw her very rarely, and mostly dealt with nurses or other doctors, though she was our main doctor.
Describe the protocols Paula Amato used in your cycles at Oregon Health Sciences University and their degree of success.
During our donor egg retreival, they discovered not as many follicles growing as they wanted. So they decided to stop the cycle, reset, and do it again. She predicted it would yeild a better result, and it did! We got 23 mature eggs, and ended up with 13 healthy embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
My only real beef with OHSU is that it's VERY difficult to communicate with everyone and be on the same page. We would get info on one thing, and a cost, and a month later find out something else happened and it cost twice the price, and nobody had let us know. Either having one nurse be in charge of everything for each couple, or something else would help this alot. We had a lot of phone calls with the billing and finance departmetns that were frustrating because nobody was talking to each other. And it's a shame, because it's a lovely place and everybody was very nice and seemed to truly care about us.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
As previously stated, my only critisicm of the clinic is the lack of communication between us (the IP's) and the clinic and our GC. Lots of frustating calls and random bills in the mail that could have been avoided if there was a central person we could discuss on all matters, instead of speaking to the doctor, then the nurse, then finance, then billing, etc.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University.
We spent approximately $38,000 for donor eggs ($7,000), embryo creation, and 1 transfer, as well as the corresponding doctors appointments.
Describe Paula Amato's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Oregon Health Sciences University.
Dr. Amato strongly preferred a SET, which after exhaustive research and many discussions, we agreed with. For both the health of the baby, and the GC
Portland

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University.

4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
she [Dr. Amato] has mentioned before IVF was started that she would recommend a single egg transfer due to the risk of multiples and having a bicornuate uterus...I received an MRI to verify that my previously diagnosed bicornuate uterus was not a uterine septum, which would require surgery prior to IVF treatment. I was also prescribed an extra medication called Saizen during the egg retrieval process to improve my egg quality.
European, East Asian
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
To be completely honest, out of the many times I’ve been to the clinic, I’ve only seen Amato twice. (All the doctor’s work togetherat theclinic and even have daily meetings to discuss patients) But each time she was great. Very knowledgeable and answered our questions. We had been going through fertility care for awhile so we thought we knew a lot but she explained a lot more.
We read reviews online of Amato beforehand and a few said to make sure to ask questions. I feel she explained everything well before us asking any questions we had about our own personal care.
Interested in our journey, listened to our concerns, available for questions
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
I saw several nurses since I started treatment there and every one has been great. This may seem like an odd thing to be happy about but they are all great at drawing blood. I bruise very easily and having to have blood draw every 1-2 days is tough on my veins. Luckily I only bruised once from my blood draw, which makes me very happy since I use my arms a lot at work. They have all been very helpful too. My personal nurse Rachel is always willing to communicate with me, especially through email since my work schedule doesn’t work very well with her work schedule.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
One thing you’ll have to be is willing to see any doctor or nurse available. They tell you that they all work together at the consult. I personally think it’s great but I could see it confusing or annoying some people who like to stick with the same people. You do have a primary doctor and nurse but I personally have only been scheduled with my primary people a few times. I’ve seen other doctors and nurses at the clinic many times.
I don’t remember specifics but they offer different “packages” from 2 different financing companies. Our specific package included: 2 egg retrievals, up to 2 fresh embryo transfers, and unlimited frozen transfers from fresh cycles. This package was one of the more expensive options at $23,705.78
We’re not quite at that stage yet but she has mentioned before IVF was started that she would recommend a single egg transfer due to the risk of multiples and having a bicornuate uterus.

2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
As a gay couple, we found Dr. Amato to be welcoming, helpful, knowledgeable and professional. We were very happy with her both in terms of outcome and patient experience. Given that we lived out of state, she was especially accommodating in setting time to consult before we chose OHSU, to meet during treatment, and to arrange for skype/phone communication whenever possible. When our first attempt at egg retrieval didn't yield enough follicles, she adjusted course and the result the second time was great.
The advice I'd give about Dr. Amato is similar to the advice I'd give about any doctor -- namely, you'll likely be talking to the nurse more than the doctor on in-between appointments...so make sure to take advantage of her when you're face to face or on the phone. She's very willing to answer questions and return calls...i just had'nt realized going in that the IPs see the actual doctor for a relatively few number of appointments.
She was always willing to go the extra mile to accommodate our needs, answer our questions, and work w/ us remotely via skype, phone, etc.
Not sure I can recount these very well. We had the donor on a cocktail of hormones/meds to help her prepare for retrieval, and those had to be adjusted after the first round didn't yield enough. GC was on progesterone and estrace before and after transfer. We only transferred one embryo.
Our primary nurse left the clinic very early in the process, so we had an interim nurse for a period, and then transitioned to a new full-time nurse. This for the most part didn't cause major issues, but it did mean that someone was always playing catch up. Not their fault, of course.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
The facility and all staff we worked with are great -- and they have all been very willing to work with us and accommodate us from a different state. Very gay friendly as well. The only negative I can think of comes from explanation of costs. We were given a rough estimate of cost...but it became hard to follow along w/ what each new charge was and how it tied back to the estimate. A few times we had to bounce between the financial coordinator, nurse, and billing to reconcile why there was a difference between what we had expected to pay and what bills arrived. Overall the cost was not dramatically different from the estimate -- but it was at times frustrating along the way to try to keep track of what was what. Everyone was very friendly, but this was the one example where things could have been more smooth.
My recollection is that we were told we could do either -- but through our research, and talking w/ the doctor and GC, we determined that a single embryo transfer was less risky and therefore the right approach.

Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. Amato is a very practical doctor. She is clearly very smart and analytical, and that worked really well for me. She did a great job responding to questions. I also always felt like I knew that plan and that she was taking my concerns into account. She was realistic in her expectations, but also encouraging and hopefully with us for the end result....Dr. Amato will be attentive and will absolutely provide information when requested, but she will not be a hand holder.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Dr. Amato is a very practical doctor. She is clearly very smart and analytical, and that worked really well for me. She did a great job responding to questions. I also always felt like I knew that plan and that she was taking my concerns into account. She was realistic in her expectations, but also encouraging and hopefully with us for the end result. Her approach is friendly, but not as warm as other doctors. In addition, while she was great at responding to lots of questions, she didn't volunteer information as generously as other doctors might. This worked out ok for us since I always came in well-informed with lots of questions, but if you need your doctor to be more of a impetus for that, Dr. Amato might not be as good of a fit.
It's important to know that fertility doctors have a lot of patients and their main role is to develop a plan to get you pregnant. Dr. Amato will be attentive and will absolutely provide information when requested, but she will not be a hand holder. Luckily, her nurse Rachel does a great job doing some of the more logistical helping and answering the inevitable endless questions that come up during the process. Rachel works very closely with Dr. Amato.
Dr. Amato always made us feel comfortable and we never felt rushed getting our questions answered. She was very realistic and down to earth about everything. She isn't the most 'touchy feely' doctor, but that worked well for us. We wanted the information straight up with adequate time to address our concerns, and we got that with Dr. Amato.
Rachel did an excellent job. She was always very patient with questions and fast in responding to emails. She offered up best practices and tactics to get through the process and was always incredibly organized with the paperwork that was necessary. Rachel showed a lot of compassion and understood how emotional the infertility process could be. We were very grateful to have her as our primary contact as we went through IVF.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
OHSU does a really great job of coordinating care. The steps I needed to take throughout the process was crystal clear and the clinic was very organized. The facilities were wonderful and they have an amazing view of the Willamette river. OHSU is organized in such a way that you have one doctor as your primary point of contact, but most of your procedures will rotate between the four doctors. All four of the doctors were really wonderful and they have excellent coordination with each other. The only procedures I had that were not performed by a doctor were early cycle ultrasounds.
- Meeting with the doctor for a consult was $250. - Pre-Cycle diagnostic expenses cost about $2,000 in total. - IUI cost about $500, then another $325 if we did an ultrasound first. - My IVF stimulation medications were about $3,500 from the OHSU pharmacy. - OHSU has IVF package options. We chose a non-refund package for two IVF cycles at $21,000. - PGS testing was $3,800. Of this $1,800 was paid to OHSU for biopsy and the rest was paid to the testing lab for up to 8 embryos.
Dr. Amato had a strong preference for me to transfer only one embryo since we were doing PGS testing and I was 33 at the time. That was fine with me, so we didn't have any further discussions on the topic.

Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Other
More clinical than personable, which was OK with me. Follow up was my biggest frustration-- She [Dr. Amato] and the rest of the OHSU team never finalized protocols until I was mid cycle (i.e. had been on BC for a week or two) which meant I was in the dark and I was always scrambling to get medication in time. Conversations after failed pregnancies weren't very sympathetic, after the third chemical pregnancy she suggested I go to another doctor.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Other
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
More clinical than personable, which was OK with me. Follow up was my biggest frustration-- She and the rest of the OHSU team never finalized protocols until I was mid cycle (i.e. had been on BC for a week or two) which meant I was in the dark and I was always scrambling to get medication in time. Conversations after failed pregnancies weren't very sympathetic, after the third chemical pregnancy she suggested I go to another doctor.
If you're fine with "going with the flow" than Dr. Amato is good for you. If you like to be in control and plan a lot of ahead of time I would have reservations.
Always remembered my information but conversations felt rote, received a few "I don't know, that's a drag" in response to chemical pregnancies.
Long lupron protocol, 1 menopur & 150 gonal f, stimmed for 11 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Hannah)
Hannah was wonderful. She was compassionate and always willing to have a long explanatory conversation when she it was something she could explain. When it wasn't, she was great at finding the answer and getting back to me in a reasonable amount of time.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Overall I like the clinic. The biggest frustration is with the late setting of protocols and lack of communication that sometime comes with this. Some cycles were better than others, and others I was having to get medication last minute (and pay a premium to do so) because it took so long. Similarly, when someone was on vacation or the schedule is out of the norm the communication sometimes broke down (i.e., not getting my transfer instructions at all because they occurred after a holiday. I took the wrong medication as a result).

2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Amato is passionate about her work, as evidenced by the fact that she is/was on the ethics committee for SART. I get the impression she lives and breathes her work and is very invested in the success of her patients...Dr. Amato was candid but always present and ready to answer questions either online or while on call. I felt she was very interested in our success, not just for her numbers but because she believes in her work...
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Pick her even if you have to wait longer for the appointment. Hard as it may be, try to keep your emotions in check and listen objectively to the facts, otherwise feelings cloud your judgment and you forget to ask the important questions.
We did IUI twice, at our insistence, and both failed. We quickly moved to egg donor (fresh cycle). I used estradiol for a while (no memory of the dose or duration; tablets) followed by 12 long weeks of progesterone in oil shots (2 ml I think, but its a blur). I didn't really mind the estradiol like some people except it gave me headaches. The POI was awful for the first few weeks, but I got used to it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University.
God I wish I could recall her name. She was an absolute sweetheart. She endured the most trivial of questions and always got back to me quickly if she needed to consult the RE.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Very professional, private, elegant space in a new building. The egg donor pool was limited in number and limited to in-house only. I don't know if they allow outside donors but I don't think so.
I think the bottom line was about $25K. Nothing was covered by insurance
Portland

Dr. Amato was very honest with us but cancelled egg retrieval during our first cycle of treatment due to not enough eggs being produced... She was honest with us but a bit pessimistic about our chances. A bit more optimism would have been nice. She prescribed Menopur but cancelled egg retrieval during our first cycle of treatment. We spent a lot of money on the Menopur, so we were quite disappointed that this did not lead to any success.
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Be aware that if you're not a very good candidate for using your own eggs in an in vitro fertilization attempt, she'll likely stop your cycle and try to push you towards donor egg IVT.
225 units of Menopur daily, starting on day 3 after start of period
We thought the nurses were very good, well trained, and professional
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Strengths: pharmacy in same building, easy to get to, free parking, comfortable, new facilities. Weaknesses: did not strive to get insurance to cover some of treatment. Not everything needs to be specifically filed as infertility, forcing the patient to pay 100%.
Intrauterine insemination endocrine management $475 Follicular scans $1300 Blood draws $130 Intrauterine insemination $283 Sperm prep $180 Estradiol $320 Progesterone $85 HCG $60 Menopur $1226 Progesterone suppositories $136
Portland
She [Dr. Amato] seemed to write me off because of my age and initial test results: all at the low end of normal. Didn't feel like she cared that we were struggling and that we were being impatient.... I just never felt like I connected with this doctor. She kept telling me we were fine, and then things would get worse (results wise). Even when we did procedures, I don't remember being asked how we were feeling, or any considerations to the challenges of being an infertility couple. Like IUIs were wasting her time.
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
I hope she has some brilliant technical skills that we just never got to see; her coldness was too much for us to deal with.
She seemed to write me off because of my age and initial test results: all at the low end of normal. Didn't feel like she cared that we were struggling and that we were being impatient.
She wanted us to keep trying on our own and reluctantly started us on Clomid + IUI. She thought we would just need one cycle, then two, then...we went to someone else.
I never had the same nurse from one day to the next. No relationships developed.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
For a large facility, I had higher expectations. But between the coolness of the doctor and the lack of connection with the staff, its hard to say if they had any real strengths. The view from the windows was nice.

8 IUI, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr Amato was open to my desires and weighing those with odds of success...I felt that Dr Amato was warm, down to earth, and accommodating. She was up front and honest yet gentle with her information. She spent the time I needed with me even during my initial free meet and greet. Dr Amato was also on time!... I will be using donor egg and sperm....Don’t be afraid to ask any questions
8 IUI, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Don’t be afraid to ask any questions
Dr Amato was open to my desires and weighing those with odds of success
I will be using donor egg and sperm.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Katie )
It wasn’t always easy to get in touch with the RN on the phone
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Strengths include being willing to try with patients own eggs even if the odds are low, as long as the patient understands. Other clinics are too worried about ther statistics. Being part of a university they are not influenced by pharmaceutical companies or other companies sales. They offer Financial packages. Very open to every family type.
I bought a fertility package since my insurance did not cover anything. It was less expensive than paying per item.

2017 - 2019
7 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Amato is a straight shooter. ...She is very responsive to questions and concerns. She made my husband, myself and our donor feel at ease. ... She tells you the facts but still shows compassion for your situation. She is very responsive to emails and replys in a timely manner. She returns calls promptly and is willing to work with you. ... She may appear stern but she is very compassionate! ...
2017 - 2019
7 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Dr. Amato is a straight shooter. She tells you the facts but still shows compassion for your situation. She is very responsive to emails and replys in a timely manner. She returns calls promptly and is willing to work with you.
She may appear stern but she is very compassionate!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Rachel Cox)
Rachel is very compassionate about her work and it shows. She has a very sweet demeanor and make sure that all questions are answered in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
OHSU has a variety of opportunity for those seeking a family. There are financing options available which I was not able to find at other clinics. This staffing is consistent so you see many of the same faces. It is a calm and quiet environment and they are willing to work through any trouble.

2007 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
She [Dr. Amato] paid attention, listened, and gave me her best efforts.... I appreciated her thoughtful care. I felt like a person, not a number. She gave me her best advice even when I didn’t want to hear it. She is very skilled and knowledgeable and readily shared her knowledge with us. We genuinely believed she cared about us and wanted to help us.... During our twins heartbeat ultrasound, the doctor cried with us. When we came back for a FET after ten years, they all remembered us.
2007 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Paula Amato at Oregon Health Sciences University?
She can be direct which I appreciate.
She paid attention, listened, and gave me her best efforts.
Very responsive and kind.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Great location, easy scheduling, straightforward billing. It feels like a team that’s on your side. During our twins heartbeat ultrasound, the doctor cried with us. When we came back for a FET after ten years, they all remembered us. The lab director did our transfer even though he no longer practices, just supervises. It’s like a family.
Straightforward fees. Very inexpensive FETs ($1600)