7.1

Paulette Browne works at

12011 Lee Jackson Mem. Hwy
Fairfax, VA 22033
703.246.0500

Retrieved 5 eggs and none fertilized. [Dr. Browne] Pushed donor eggs. Would do a 2nd IVF round but would not change the protocol...She is very thorough but blunt. She does not mince words. She is not cuddly. She is quick and to the point...You may do a consultation with your Dr but then only see them a few times. For all but 2 sonograms, it was a different Dr each time and even the egg retrieval was done by a different Dr. Then when you do bloodwork it is just in and out - no one talks to you or puts you at ease
Our nurse [at Shady Grove Fertility] was Ann and she was great. Absolutely loved her. However, when I had a question or concern, I would never get her. I would leave a message on her voice mail and another nurse would respond. Spoke to about five different nurses and it was extremely frustrating. It felt less of a relationship and more like I was just another cog in the wheel...Monitoring was done by bloodwork (drawn by a different nurse each time) and sono (done by a different doctor each time)... When you have your sonogram, it always be with a different doctor - whoever is one that rotation.
How was your experience with Paulette Browne at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paulette Browne at Shady Grove Fertility?
Data and statistics are very important to them. If you amh levels are too low and depending on your age, you may not get the answer you want. Be prepared for any scenario and to try not to have false hopes.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paulette Browne at Shady Grove Fertility?
At Shady Grove, it feels like a cattle call. You may do a consultation with your Dr but then only see them a few times. For all but 2 sonograms, it was a different Dr each time and even the egg retrieval was done by a different Dr. Then when you do bloodwork it is just in and out - no one talks to you or puts you at ease
Describe the protocols Paulette Browne used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Gonal-F 300 / Menopur 150 with HCG trigger shot. Retrieved 5 eggs and none fertilized. Pushed donor eggs. Would do a 2nd IVF round but would not change the protocol. We went to get a second opinion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Anne)
Our nurse was Ann and she was great. Absolutely loved her. However, when I had a question or concern, I would never get her. I would leave a message on her voice mail and another nurse would respond. Spoke to about five different nurses and it was extremely frustrating. It felt less of a relationship and more like I was just another cog in the wheel
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I went to Fair Oaks which the waiting area is nice. The bloodwork (7-8am) was usually very quick but no relationship. Always a different nurse. At one point, due to the snow, we had to go to the Annandale office because the Fair Oaks one was closed. The Annandale office is bigger but older - waiting room is drabby, the seats are uncomfortable. People were there from all over and you had to stand which eventually they took a number of us to a large conference room. It felt like a cattle call. When you have your sonogram, it always be with a different doctor - whoever is one that rotation. Each one has a different demeanor and outlook. Was given various scenarios - mostly positive. Dr. Browne was on vacation and our egg retrieval was done by a different doctor. That doctor showed more compassion. A third doctor is the one who monitored our eggs because De. Browne was on vacation. He was much more positive with the outlook even though nothing fertilized. When Dr. Browne returned three weeks later, she wanted to have a debrief. We had already decided to get a second opinion but I called. It was basically like a "I told you so" type scenario of her just saying that she knew this would happen. This is NOT the portrayal she gave in our initial consultation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paulette Browne at Shady Grove Fertility.
It was all handled by my insurance and we paid about $100 out-of-pocket. We actually never saw a bill.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Different information and different outlook provided by different doctors. I barely saw Dr. Browne. It felt like there is no point person. They could not tell us what was wrong with the eggs. It felt very accusatory as if it were my fault. Each doctor gave conflicting information. Each nurse gave conflicting information. It felt as if no one knew you and no one really cared.
Fair Oaks

Dr. Browne never called us with results - either good or bad. The call we received to inform us that my beta test numbers were not good and I was miscarrying, was done so by a nurse. Dr. Browne didn’t follow up at all....Beginning with our first visit, we did not feel positive or hopeful after meeting with her. She conveyed a sense of bewilderment as to what our problems might be regarding our infertility. She also treated miscarriages with very little gravity.
Unfortunately after Dr. Greenhouse’s passing, the office [Shady Grove] became chaotic. The administrative team was in disarray. They made multiple mistakes when processing my insurance or updating my personal information in their files.... Laura was very kind and helpful. While she wasn’t the person who delivered all of my results, she was a fairly constant face.... Dr. Browne never called us with results - either good or bad. The call we received to inform us that my beta test numbers were not good and I was miscarrying, was done so by a nurse. Dr. Browne didn’t follow up at all.
How was your experience with Paulette Browne at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Browne was a fill in, as our original physician passed away unexpectedly. Beginning with our first visit, we did not feel positive or hopeful after meeting with her. She conveyed a sense of bewilderment as to what our problems might be regarding our infertility. She also treated miscarriages with very little gravity. She lacked compassion. In addition, after the front desk failed to process my new insurance, she made snide comments during future appointments about how hard her staff worked to fix the error (despite it being their error in the first place).
Be clear about your expectations of communication.
She recommended Clomid and IUI. She did not explain why she thought this protocol would work, other than she figured that producing two eggs would improve our chances. If it didn’t work, then she said she would recommend IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Unfortunately after Dr. Greenhouse’s passing, the office became chaotic. The administrative team was in disarray. They made multiple mistakes when processing my insurance or updating my personal information in their files.
We paid $1800 for each IUI cycle, for a total of $3600.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?