6.8

Peter Ahlering works at

17300 North Outer Forty
Chesterfield, MO 63005
636.778.9899

We have Male factor infertility, so my husband is now seeing a urologist. ... I feel he is very knowledgeable, and does spend a lot of time with his patients. He is a very kind Dr., and will pretty much do what you ask of him. And, if he doesn't know an answer, he will do his best to find out for you. ... For my egg retrieval he gave me gonal-f, menopur. And my trigger shot was ovidrel.
Our previous coordinator made a huge mistake with us. She didn't read our chart thoroughly and we had to cancel a transfer because of her. ... The clinic [MCRM] has poor communication with each other. The Dr and nursing staff are great, the office staff is helpful. At times, I feel like there is a lot of miscommunication in their billing department, about things that I need to pay out of pocket for and things that should be billed to insurance. ...
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
He is a very smart man, and his statistics speak for themselves.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
At times I really feel like there is a break down of communication with their office and my husband and I. I feel like we have very poor follow up from their clinic. We have Male factor infertility, so my husband is now seeing a urologist. He has been under his care for 3 months. After his 1 month follow-up with the urologist, MCRM contacted us because they said he will need labs after he had just had them drawn and a SA. We hadn't heard from MCRM for at least 2 months, no check ins or anything. And it was like they were demanding that my husband have these tests done. So. I called the urologists office and they said, no it takes 3 months for Clomid to start working and he didn't need to have labs since he had just had them drawn. And when I called MCRM to let them know we'd just follow up with the urologist, they were a little irritated. But, we didn't feel it was necessary. We barely have any communication with them right now. No check ins or anything.
Describe the protocols Peter Ahlering used in your cycles at MCRM Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Courtney Mitan)
I have only communicated with her through email, but she is always prompt in responding back, and answers all my questions. She is always nice.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
The clinic has poor communication with each other. The Dr and nursing staff are great, the office staff is helpful. At times, I feel like there is a lot of miscommunication in their billing department, about things that I need to pay out of pocket for and things that should be billed to insurance. I am so glad I now have coverage for infertility. Last year around this time my previous coordinator made a huge mistake. We had planned to do our transfer in December and the coordinator didn't realize that we had frozen eggs not embryos. Even though she had my chart (I think) and the office wasn't prepared to do our transfer. We didn't know my husband needed to see a urologist to do a work up for his azospermia. Super frustrating.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility.
Had to pay out of pocket for some things that I didn't feel that we should have. I feel they are comparable to other clinics.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at MCRM Fertility.
Our previous coordinator made a huge mistake with us. She didn't read our chart thoroughly and we had to cancel a transfer because of her. She was following embryo transfer protocol, did not know that we had frozen eggs. Totally lost confidence in her and the clinic that day. I now have a new coordinator and so far she's been great. My previous coordinator was Jennifer Farley.

2020, Unsuccessful
I told him [Dr. Ahlering] repeatedly throughout the entire process I was in incredible pain. He dismissed all of my symptoms. I am still dealing with recovering physically 6 months post retrieval. He set very high expectations for which he was confident in achieving in just one cycle. Afterwards, he completely flipped the switch stating he would probably need 5-6 cycles...
MCRM feels like a big factory farm...I think they cycle as many people as possible to make the most money possible which is not in your best interest if anything goes wrong ( which in my case did)...I would ask how many patients they cycle at one time...They did not order enough medication for stimulation shots which resulted in me having to cut doses at the end because they had not given me enough time to get the medication
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Dr Ahlering's motto appears to be "profits before people." I told him repeatedly throughout the entire process I was in incredible pain. He dismissed all of my symptoms. I am still dealing with recovering physically 6 months post retrieval. He set very high expectations for which he was confident in achieving in just one cycle. Afterwards, he completely flipped the switch stating he would probably need 5-6 cycles. I do not trust that anything he ever said was the truth and caught him in at least two bold faced lies.
I would ask how many patients they cycle at one time. The coordinators clearly cannot handle the large work load and Dr Ahlering knew NOTHING about our file/medications in our post retrieval meeting that resulted in producing not one embroyo.
MCRM feels like a big factory farm. Staff runs around like chickens with their heads cut off, providing horrible care and misinformation. "Dr" Ahlering is unreachable and dismissive.
Birth control for about 14 days then stimulation shots followed by a trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay )
Lindsay apparently is incompetent at her job and unable to keep up with the high workload. When I complained of my horrible pain and asked for guidance, she responded "office is closed on the weekends." The epitome of great health care!
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
In my experience, Dr Ahlering and MCRM are all about money. They did not care about my health , their terrible results ( after verbally promising the world), nor about wasting our hard earned money. Dr Ahlering knew NOTHING about our file or our medication list in our post retrieval meeting. When my husband pressed what he would do differently, his eyes were wide and he said "I don't know I have not reviewed your medication list." So why are we even having this meeting? I think they cycle as many people as possible to make the most money possible which is not in your best interest if anything goes wrong ( which in my case did). I would steer clear.
Pretty high considering it's one of the most poorly ran businesses I've ever seen.
Describe Peter Ahlering's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at MCRM Fertility.
I would not know. He could not even produce one viable embroyo after over promising the world.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at MCRM Fertility.
They did not order enough medication for stimulation shots which resulted in me having to cut doses at the end because they had not given me enough time to get the medication.
Chesterfield

After our initial consultation with Dr. Ahlering, my husband and I both had many labs drawn. ... we had 2 beautiful Normal embryos to work with. We transferred both embryos and ended up miss carrying at 5.5 weeks. With our most recent Retrieval, Dr. Ahlering changed up my protocol. ...Doctor Ahlering is kind, very detail oriented, has the best bedside manner, sends you messages on the portal
Everyone at MCRM is friendly and makes you feel cared for. I feel that they value your time and schedule your appointments in a way so that you aren’t sitting in the waiting room for very long. The receptionist is always friendly and has her paperwork organized and ready to go when you arrive for your appointment. All in all I am so pleased with MCRM and I will never switch to any other fertility clinic.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Doctor Ahlering is kind, very detail oriented, has the best bedside manner, sends you messages on the portal just to check in to see how you’re doing, he listens without knocking down ideas you may have, and he shares so much knowledge with you. He is honestly the best best doctor I have ever worked with. Hands down the best fertility specialist in the St. Louis area!
Be ready to get your questions answered. He goes over everything with you in such detail! Also, don’t be afraid to ask him any question you may have.
Dr. Ahlering is so kind and so full of knowledge. He never rushes appointments with him and always answers questions when asked. He also listens to my concerns as a patient.
After our initial consultation with Dr. Ahlering, my husband and I both had many labs drawn. My husband also had a very in depth semen analysis done. These tests answered questions that other fertility specialists failed to answer. After gathering all the useful data, MCRM presents a report to you and your partner that applies to the outlook/success rates of the infertility treatments. This was so nice to see our realistic chances. With our first egg retrieval we retrieved 17 eggs, 16 fertilized, 6 made it to day 6 and had genetic testing done to them. They results from the genetic testing came back and we had 2 beautiful Normal embryos to work with. We transferred both embryos and ended up miss carrying at 5.5 weeks. With our most recent Retrieval, Dr. Ahlering changed up my protocol. He added Omnitrope and upped my Menopur and Follistim dosages. This resulted in 30 eggs retrieved! 24 of those eggs were mature, and we are in the midst of getting our final numbers this week!
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jen Hoelting)
Jen is very organized. She answers all of my questions promptly. She is great to work with and has been my coordinator for both retrieval’s I’ve had done with Dr. Ahlering.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
We went with the Gold package with each egg retrieval. I do not remember the exact cost but it is comparable with other doctors in the area
Chesterfield

He [Dr. Ahlering] told us he didn’t think IUI would be beneficial for us and would only very minimally increase our chances of conception after 2 failed timed intercourse cycles. He said he felt the minimal increase was not worth the added cost of doing an IUI. We agreed. We began a 3rd timed intercourse cycle. Later that day, his PA stated that he recommended we try at least 2 IUIs if our 3rd timed intercourse cycle failed. We questioned this as he had just told us that he didn’t recommend IUI.
The staff at the front desk [of MCRM] is frequently rude...They are exceptionally hard to get records from, even after you have paid for them. I paid $32.89 for 17 pages of my medical record. I requested the full record; however, I was only sent partial labs and imaging reports...their contact for medical records, stated that they do not send consultation or progress notes with the record because it is the physician’s prospective on the patient. She also stated that she printed off my husband’s semen analysis, put it with our record, and gave it to Dr. Ahlering (I suppose for him to approve?) after we requested our records and he removed the semen analysis report before giving the record back to her. She noticed this, did not question where the report went, and mailed our record without it. When I called to ask where the rest of our record was, she said Dr. Ahlering was out of town and she would have to ask him about it the next day. The next day, she said she would mail us “some notes from our record” and the SA report. She said the medications, dosages, and treatment plans were proprietary to their facility and they would not be released to myself or my new doctor. After telling her that I would check with my new doctor and the US Department of Health and Human Services to see if this was standard practice, she advised that I could print flowsheets off of the patient portal with the treatment information. I did not receive a refund for the missing information, nor would I have paid $32.89 for my records if I would have known that I would only be receiving partial labs from an outside facility and ultrasound reports. I will know in a few days if I actually get the SA report and “some notes from my record” in the mail.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
My first impression of Dr. Ahlering was that he seemed like a car salesman. Out of desperation for a baby, we decided to give him a chance and start treatment immediately rather than wait for another consultation with a different doctor. I fully regret this decision. We met with Dr. Ahlering once and had 3 phone conversations with him. He and the office are (for lack of a better word) exceptionally shady. I feel like he is just out to make money and does not truly care about his patient’s success. I also feel like there has been retaliation against us for leaving their practice and seeing a different specialist.
Do not go to MCRM Fertility for any reason. Do not see Dr. Ahlering. I 100% regret my decision to receive treatment from this physician.
Dr. Ahlering and his staff gave us conflicting information regarding his recommendations for our care. He told us he didn’t think IUI would be beneficial for us and would only very minimally increase our chances of conception after 2 failed timed intercourse cycles. He said he felt the minimal increase was not worth the added cost of doing an IUI. We agreed. We began a 3rd timed intercourse cycle. Later that day, his PA stated that he recommended we try at least 2 IUIs if our 3rd timed intercourse cycle failed. We questioned this as he had just told us that he didn’t recommend IUI. We were instructed to set up a phone call with Dr. Ahlering to discuss the conflicting information. He called over 1.5 hours after the scheduled time and stated that we were “all speaking the same language” and that an IUI would not benefit us. Clearly, he and his PA were not speaking the same language. He refuses to forward any of his consultation or progress notes to my new doctor and his staff states that all records of treatment plans, prescribed medications and dosages are proprietary information specific to their facility (rather than the individualized care they claim to provide) and they also won’t release those records. The only records they are willing to release are lab results and ultrasound reports. This leads me to question if there even is any documentation regarding my care. They do not seem to see myself or my husband as human beings trying to grow our family, but rather as an enemy for daring to question them.
We did one timed intercourse cycle with 7.5 mg letrozole for 5 days. Midcycle scan showed follicles not large enough to trigger. Started letrozole 7.5 mg again for 5 days. Second midcycle scan showed mature follicles. Triggered with Ovidrel and then proceeded with TI. Second cycle we did 5 days of 10 mg letrozole and added 3 injections of 50 units Gonal-F. Midcycle scan showed follicles were not mature. We were instructed to use 75 units of Gonal-F for 2 days and then the remainder of what was in the pen the 3rd day (about 50 units). Second midcycle scan showed several mature follicles. Risks of multiples were discussed and we triggered with Ovidrel that evening and proceeded with TI. For our third cycle we used 10 mg letrozole for 7 days, one day of 150 units Gonal-F, followed by 75 units Gonal-F the next 2 days. Midcycle scan showed mature follicles and we triggered with Ovidrel and proceeded with TI. We were unsuccessful each time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christina Romacker)
Christina seems to care about her patients. She seems like a good person. I don’t have anything bad to say about her.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
The staff at the front desk is frequently rude, not only to myself, but also other patients. They are exceptionally hard to get records from, even after you have paid for them. I paid $32.89 for 17 pages of my medical record. I requested the full record; however, I was only sent partial labs and imaging reports. Michelle Brinkmeyer, who is their contact for medical records, stated that they do not send consultation or progress notes with the record because it is the physician’s prospective on the patient. She also stated that she printed off my husband’s semen analysis, put it with our record, and gave it to Dr. Ahlering (I suppose for him to approve?) after we requested our records and he removed the semen analysis report before giving the record back to her. She noticed this, did not question where the report went, and mailed our record without it. When I called to ask where the rest of our record was, she said Dr. Ahlering was out of town and she would have to ask him about it the next day. The next day, she said she would mail us “some notes from our record” and the SA report. She said the medications, dosages, and treatment plans were proprietary to their facility and they would not be released to myself or my new doctor. After telling her that I would check with my new doctor and the US Department of Health and Human Services to see if this was standard practice, she advised that I could print flowsheets off of the patient portal with the treatment information. I did not receive a refund for the missing information, nor would I have paid $32.89 for my records if I would have known that I would only be receiving partial labs from an outside facility and ultrasound reports. I will know in a few days if I actually get the SA report and “some notes from my record” in the mail.
I had no insurance coverage. Each ultrasound was $250. Medications costs were around $370 each cycle.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at MCRM Fertility.
There was one instance where my nurse sent the wrong dosage of my prescription to the pharmacy. I caught the mistake at the pharmacy and it was corrected.
Chesterfield

He [Dr. Ahlering] prefers to transfer one but said he would be fine with me transferring two...I didn’t feel like the original consultation was based on my issues but general issues... is extremely intelligent. He knows what he’s doing and you can see that he’s passionate about helping people have a baby. When I went in for my first appointment he followed back up with me rather than getting a nurse to reach out. I appreciated that...I had a very basic IVF protocol. It unfortunately ended in no normal embryos. They started with BC. Then did STIMS for 9 days and had my egg retrieval.
I had a horrible experience with the Finance dept [at MCRM] and it made me feel like they just wanted my money...I had a very basic IVF protocol. It unfortunately ended in no normal embryos. They started with BC. Then did STIMS for 9 days and had my egg retrieval...I have nothing but great things to say about Lindsay [nurse]. When we found out I had zero normal embryos I could tell she was upset too. She made me feel like she genuinely cared that my heart was breaking. She followed up with me a few days later to make sure I was ok. It meant a lot to me that she did that.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Dr. Ahlering is extremely intelligent. He knows what he’s doing and you can see that he’s passionate about helping people have a baby. When I went in for my first appointment he followed back up with me rather than getting a nurse to reach out. I appreciated that.
That it’s ok to ask questions. You are spending a lot of money. Do not allow your appointment to be rushed. Get all the information you need before you leave.
I had a horrible experience with the Finance dept and it made me feel like they just wanted my money. I didn’t feel like the original consultation was based on my issues but general issues.
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Van Winkle)
I have nothing but great things to say about Lindsay. When we found out I had zero normal embryos I could tell she was upset too. She made me feel like she genuinely cared that my heart was breaking. She followed up with me a few days later to make sure I was ok. It meant a lot to me that she did that.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
The clinic is beautiful. The staff is friendly besides Mel in finance. I almost didn’t move forward with the clinic because of her. Then she was rude the day before my retrieval when I called to ask a question about my down payment. She was great the original meeting. Once I put my down payment she no longer had to be nice. I have great things to say about everyone besides Mel.
I luckily have insurance. My insurance didn’t cover the genetic testing-2,500 The deposit-2,000 (not sure why you need a deposit)..The medication 3,400. We also paid out of pocket an additional 1,500 for other services like nano beads and sperm selection.
He prefers to transfer one but said he would be fine with me transferring two.
Chesterfield

[Dr. Peter Ahlering] is very knowledgeable and wants to do the best option for his patients instead of just out for the money and not caring...He makes us feel comfortable...After we did 2 unsuccessful rounds of IUI Dr. Ahlering suggested that we get an HSG test done to see if my tubes were blocked. so I went to my OBGYN and had an HSG test done and according to that they were not blocked so we continued with two more rounds of IUI after the next 2 more unsuccessful rounds of IUI Dr. Ahlering suggested that we do an exploratory laproscopy to see about any underlining cause as to why the IUI's had not worked.
whole staff [at MCRM] from dealing with my husbands male factor to doing our IUI cycles have been amazing!...She [nurse] will email us periodically checking in on us and asking how we are, she is always a phone call or email away and answers quickly if we ever need anything. Ceara our PA that actually done our IUI transfers she is very sweet and caring as well. She explains the results of my husbands wash and how much sperm count he had left after the wash and takes her time and explains what she is about to do when she is doing the IUI and asks if I am alright while she is doing it.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Our experience with Dr. Ahlering has been great. He is very knowledgeable and explains our situation and what he thinks is the best treatment from our diagnosis. He does say things sometimes that is over our heads but we ask him to explain it in our form lol, he does not get mad or hesitate to explain things in our way of understanding. He takes his time with you and wants to make sure we understand fully and will answer any questions or concerns we have. He makes us feel comfortable.
If they are looking for a good infertility doctor he is the one to go too. He is good and knows what he is doing. don't hesitate to ask questions or talk about concerns. He makes you feel comfortable.
When we had out first initial consolation appointment with Dr. Ahlering he took us into his office, he listened and went over all of our first steps ad options for going forward. He took his time, did not rush us out of there and really treats his patients like humans and cares for them. He is very knowledgeable and wants to do the best option for his patients instead of just out for the money and not caring. His whole staff from dealing with my husbands male factor to doing our IUI cycles have been amazing! We are truly grateful for MCRM! :) Praying to be able to do an IVF cycle with him soon and it being successful.
With my PCOS the fertility medicine I took leading up to my 4 IUI cycles were: -Letrozole pills - Gonal F shots -Ovidrel shot On the day of IUI we went to the clinic and they did a Sperm wash on my husbands semen because he has a morphology issue then two hours later we did the IUI. After the IUI I would lay on the table for 15-20 minutes then a few days later I would have to put prometrium inside my vagina for 2 weeks until I went and did my blood work to see if I was pregnant. After we did 2 unsuccessful rounds of IUI Dr. Ahlering suggested that we get an HSG test done to see if my tubes were blocked. so I went to my OBGYN and had an HSG test done and according to that they were not blocked so we continued with two more rounds of IUI after the next 2 more unsuccessful rounds of IUI Dr. Ahlering suggested that we do an exploratory laproscopy to see about any underlining cause as to why the IUI's had not worked. So my OBGYN did the laparoscopy and we discovered that I had some past PID damage and that my tubes were not fully blocked but he only way anything could get thru them was to be forced that is why we got a false reading from the HSG test with the dye being forced thru them. We gave Dr. Ahlering all the results and met with him and talked about our next step, we are now to the point of an IVF cycle which we have not been able to afford, IUI will no longer work for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christina Romacker )
Out primary nurse Christina is very sweet and caring she has talked to us about her infertility situation and has compassion for her patients. She is always on top of everything when we have done our IUI cycles and gets us the right medicine and has it sent to our pharmacy so its ready when we get there. She will email us periodically checking in on us and asking how we are, she is always a phone call or email away and answers quickly if we ever need anything. Ceara our PA that actually done our IUI transfers she is very sweet and caring as well. She explains the results of my husbands wash and how much sperm count he had left after the wash and takes her time and explains what she is about to do when she is doing the IUI and asks if I am alright while she is doing it.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
The clinic is very clean and bright and the staff is friendly and caring. They are all there to help you get your dream family and make you feel comfortable. Our first IUI we were a little confused on where my husband did the sperm wash and which desk to see to get checked in for my part of the IUI but they were very nice and directed us where to go for my husband and where to get checked in for my part.
For everything including ultrasounds, sperm wash, IUI, and medicine was around 2000 each cycle.
Chesterfield

Dr. Ahlering has been professional, knowledgeable, and an open-book...He always answers with evidence based research and does not hesitate to repeat a diagnostic procedure if results were unclear...-full lab workup for partner and myself -Clomid and thyriod medication for partner -continue with vitamin regimen as desired -ultrasound for myself to assess follicle count, tubes, uterine lining, and health of reproductive anatomy -ultrasound for partner to assess for varicocele -repeat SA as needed
Our initial visit with the financial department [at MCRM] shared basic information for 1 IVF cycle. After more diagnostic testing, were were given other options of packages. All options were ok, we just didn't know there was a possibility of other options. We so weren't aware that certain discounts would not apply under a package vs a single cycle...-IVF package quoted at $29,500. We have not yet undergone this process. -roughly $1,000 out of pocket expenses so far with diagnostic testing
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Dr. Ahlering has been professional, knowledgeable, and an open-book. There are tines I wish I knew more information, so I ask. He always answers with evidence based research and does not hesitate to repeat a diagnostic procedure if results were unclear.
Take your plan step by step. It's ok to know what you don't know.
At times, certain diagnostic results require normative data. At times, sitting face to face with the doctor is what you need. Data drives treatment as well as bedside manner. Both have necessary roles.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at MCRM Fertility.
The nursing staff had been quick to respond, present professionally and compassionately. At times, I am unclear if my appointment is done ore if I am needing to be see for something else.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
Strengths: science, confidentiality, compassionate, great location Weakness: financial information was not the most forthcoming. It required us to ask intricate questions to assure we had a clear understanding.
We asked about the science behind 1 embryo vs multiple and Dr. Ahlering shared information about age, egg quality, risk of multiples during pregnancy.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at MCRM Fertility.
Our initial visit with the financial department shared basic information for 1 IVF cycle. After more diagnostic testing, were were given other options of packages. All options were ok, we just didn't know there was a possibility of other options. We so weren't aware that certain discounts would not apply under a package vs a single cycle.
Chesterfield
Dr. Ahlering is extremely knowledgeable and caring. You could tell he was extremely sincere. He was right about everything he predicted. We were concerned we needed a sperm donor and he assured us that wasn’t necessary and he was correct. ... He recommended egg banking due to my husband’s severe DNA fragmentation and my low reserve so we would have several chances at making healthy embryos.
They [MCRM] organize fun family events and meet and greets where patients can meet each other and talk to Dr. Ahlering. They are always extremely friendly and quick to respond. I had an easy time working with the finance department as well ... Jen Atkinson was my retrieval coordinator and she was amazing! ... Courtney Mitan was my transfer coordinator and she is so kind and compassionate.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Dr. Ahlering is extremely knowledgeable and caring. You could tell he was extremely sincere. He was right about everything he predicted. We were concerned we needed a sperm donor and he assured us that wasn’t necessary and he was correct. This is truly his passion! We drove 6 hours every time to meet with him because he was so much better than our local clinic.
Voice your concerns to him. He’s patient and understanding and will be very straight forward with you.
I felt like a human because Dr. Ahlering was ALWAYS so patient and so kind. He went into so much detail explaining everything to me. I never felt rushed. I would schedule a call with him when we felt concerned and he always had the ability to calm us down.
He recommended egg banking due to my husband’s severe DNA fragmentation and my low reserve so we would have several chances at making healthy embryos. Meds: Omnitrope, Gonal F, Lupron+Pregnyl dual trigger, Menopur, Cetrotide, Estrace, PIO, Endometrin, Vivelle patches We also did two months of Lupron therapy prior to first transfer. 2nd transfer we did a modified Lupron therapy for about a month before and they changed my progesterone protocol to taking the inserts every day instead of every other. PIO until week 9
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jen Atkinson and Courtney Mitan )
Jen Atkinson was my retrieval coordinator and she was amazing! She was super organized and would call me often to touch base. Love her. I actually miss her. Courtney Mitan was my transfer coordinator and she is so kind and compassionate. She constantly checked in on me to check how I was doing and always answered all 1,000 of my questions. She became a friend to me!
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
Jen Bader is the patient coordinator and she does a great job and connecting patients with other patients and making everyone feel like a family. They organize fun family events and meet and greets where patients can meet each other and talk to Dr. Ahlering. They are always extremely friendly and quick to respond. I had an easy time working with the finance department as well
2 Cycle Oocyte/Embryo Banking $14,450.00 DNA fragmentation $300.00 Positive sperm selection $200.00 Anesthesia $500.00 Sperm sample $200.00 Sperm freeze $250.00 Anesthesia $500.00 Receptiva $690.00 PGS $1,950.00 PGS Shipping charge $100.00 FET #2 $3,800.00 Embryo storage fee $500
For our first transfer Dr. A recommended only one embryo and we understood his reasons why. For our 2nd transfer we were transparent and said we couldn’t afford two more transfers and meds and also couldn’t handle the stress of two more transfers. He was supportive and was on board with transferring 2 PGS normals.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
With each IUI cycle it was the same ... Dr. Ahlering always took the time with consultations to explain things and provide answers to all your questions. He makes his patients feel comfortable at all times during procedures and explains everything he's doing. ... He not only answered all my questions and explained everything to myself but he ensured my husband got all his questions answered.
There was issues it seemed like when my donor would go in to drop off paperwork or fill out paperwork. ... MCRM has some of the state of the art technology and is constantly updating and adding to make things better. They expanded their offices. The front desk person always greeting you with a smile. Sometimes the billing was behind several months and would bill you 3 or 4 months after things took place.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Dr. Ahlering truly cares for his patients and does whatever in his power to ensure the outcome they want. Even though we were not successful with obtaining pregnancy. Dr. Ahlering always took the time with consultations to explain things and provide answers to all your questions. He makes his patients feel comfortable at all times during procedures and explains everything he's doing. Not only did he make myself feel comfortable with him but he made my husband feel as comfortable as well. He not only answered all my questions and explained everything to myself but he ensured my husband got all his questions answered.
Ask questions, no questions is stupid or dumb.
I truly felt like everyone cared for your care and your outcome and make you feel like a person and not a number. Everyone was always so friendly and made sure you were taken care of and if you needed anything
With each IUI cycle it was the same...Letrozole, Follistum, insemination, progesterone, then hcg blood draws 2 weeks later.
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Shawnie Hurt)
Shawnie was always helpful, caring and compassionate. She was very knowledgeable about process and procedures and all FDA regulations. She was patient with us when it was taking a very long time for our donor to get his things done, never did she rush us to get things done or pressure us in any way. It seemed like when we were at our lowest she knew how to make things a bit better.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
MCRM has some of the state of the art technology and is constantly updating and adding to make things better. They expanded their offices. The front desk person always greeting you with a smile. Sometimes the billing was behind several months and would bill you 3 or 4 months after things took place. They have great resources including a Facebook group for patients to communicate with each other.
We had no benefits for health insurance and had to pay for everything out of pocket. Some things they would bill the insurance company and then bill us later. All 3 IUI's were paid for out of pocket.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at MCRM Fertility.
There was issues it seemed like when my donor would go in to drop off paperwork or fill out paperwork. I'm not sure who was responsible or if there was miscommunication between the front desk, my coordinator, and us or what the case may have been. It always seemed to get fixed quickly.
Chesterfield

I was surprised when I met Dr. Ahlering for the first time. He is the most compassionate, kind and down to earth doctor I've ever had. He listened to mine and my husband's concerns and questions and answered everything clearly until we fully understood.... Be ready to talk and listen to Dr. Ahlering. Your appointment won't be a quick appointment like every other doctor appointment.
Christina [a nurse at MCRM- Chesterfield] is the best! She was always so compassionate and helpful during stressful cycles. Even though we didn't have any success after 4 IUIs she still sends us emails asking how life is going and always reassuring us she's here for us. She is one of the reasons we will go back when we are ready... I love this clinic. Expect to be greeted by happy, kind and smiling staff. It's very clean and a positive environment. I almost never had to wait in the waiting room before my appointment which was always nice. I honestly don't have a single weakness to list.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Every time I met with my doctor or nurses they always remembered me by name. I wasn't just another case to them. Even though we didn't have success and are on a break from treatment right now, I still get personalized emails from my nurse asking how my husband and I are doing. It brings a smile to my face every time knowing how much they still care and they are still here for us.
Christina is the best! She was always so compassionate and helpful during stressful cycles. Even though we didn't have any success after 4 IUIs she still sends us emails asking how life is going and always reassuring us she's here for us. She is one of the reasons we will go back when we are ready.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
I was able to apply for 50% off medication but nothing else was covered under my insurance. Each IUI procedure was $500. Ultrasounds and bloodwork were additional costs. I think all together for 4 IUI cylces, it was close to $5,000. We were also able to do a payment plan.
Chesterfield

Dr. Ahlering completes all the ultrasounds, retrievals, and transfers himself and will spend time talking to you and answering any questions you have including doing phone consults if you live away from the main clinic or any of the satellite clinics... He remembers things you've spoken of months later and customizes your treatment to you, along with making adjustments to later treatments if previous cycles did not respond how you and he wanted.
We live over 2000 miles from this clinic [MCRM], but believe so much in them, that we plan to use them in further treatments to provide our son siblings.... The clinic and staff are very well run and wonderfully caring. The only real issue we have had was with billing, and they were still very understanding it just took a bit of time to straighten things out. Part of this was because of miscommunication and misunderstanding, but as I said, they were still very patient.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Dr. Ahlering completes all the ultrasounds, retrievals, and transfers himself and will spend time talking to you and answering any questions you have including doing phone consults if you live away from the main clinic or any of the satellite clinics (Tulsa, OK and Springfield, MO). He is very much a talker during this consults and does really well answering all questions and explaining anything you need. He doesnt act at all like he is rushed or needs to get on to the next patient. He remembers things you've spoken of months later and customizes your treatment to you, along with making adjustments to later treatments if previous cycles did not respond how you and he wanted.
Be prepared to really talk to him, he strives to answer all your questions and make sure you understand the treatment plan, so sometimes consults can be lengthy.
Dr. Ahlering (and his staff) treated me and our treatment plan as if it was their own, as if this was something they were going through with my husband and I. Any questions we had they did their absolute best to answer question, our Nurse coordinator cried with me when she called to deliver the positive pregnancy test news, and even during a subsequent phone consult (we live 2000 miles from the clinic) with Dr. Ahlering about further cycles he remembered the name of our son and that we had a female embryo transfered at the same time that did not survive. We live over 2000 miles from this clinic, but believe so much in them, that we plan to use them in further treatments to provide our son siblings.
We chose to do 2 cycles and bank the eggs before fertilizing them and doing a transfer. Both cycles were agonist cycles with the use of follistem and gonal-F and a lupron trigger. I was also on estrogen patches and then testosterone patches for the 2nd cycle. The first cycle produced 10 eggs and the second produced 12 (I have reduced ovarian reserve). We then used ICSI and PGS testing. We ended with 4 embryos for testing 2 normal and 2 low level mosaic (which will be used after another 2 egg banking cycles if needed).
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jen and Rachel)
You will have different nurse coordinators for retrieval and transfer cycles. Both of the coordinators (and the entire staff) were wonderful. They never had a problem answering question after question, were extremely patient and helpful. Rachel (our transfer coordinator) even cried on the phone with me when she called to give us our only positive result after 3 transfers and 7 embryos (2 transfers at a previous clinic).
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
The clinic and staff are very well run and wonderfully caring. The only real issue we have had was with billing, and they were still very understanding it just took a bit of time to straighten things out. Part of this was because of miscommunication and misunderstanding, but as I said, they were still very patient. The clinic has "offices" on 2 seperate floors, so its necessary to know where you are going, but if you show up on the wrong floor, it isn't a difficult thing to fix. They work really well to accommodate you and your needs, we live over 2000 miles away and they do phone consults and order some of the pre- testing done nearer to us.
We paid around 23,000$ for 2 egg banking cycles, PGS testing, medications, and 3 months of frozen embryo storage.
Dr. Ahlering was fine with us transfering 2 PGS tested embryos, as I am healthy. I know from others that he will suggest only one embryo in certain cases. He has also suggested using our low level mosaic embryos if the planned 2 egg banking cycles are not successful.
Chesterfield

He [Dr. Ahlering] is really like no other doctor I have ever dealt with. He cares about what you want, and tries to get to you to your goal without pushing you to do what he wants. He is supportive, he even answered my email on the weekend within minutes.... He doesn't care how much money he is making off of you, he cares if you get pregnant or not. Our Egg retrieval only ended up with 5 mature and he said we needed another egg retrieval and I said I couldn't afford it and he said "then I won't charge you".
Strength [MCRM- Chesterfield] would be the compassion and working with each person individually. They have great success rates because Dr. Ahlering knows what he is doing. They are very busy so sometimes they don't return calls super fast but they never forget you.... $20k including PGS testing, embryoscope, two egg retrievals, fertility meds, and transfer... Jen was amazing, she became a friend more than a coordinator. She was responsive and knew what she was doing, always talked me off the ledge and gave me more support than I ever could have imagined
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
He is really like no other doctor I have ever dealt with. He cares about what you want, and tries to get to you to your goal without pushing you to do what he wants. He is supportive, he even answered my email on the weekend within minutes.
You are in wonderful hands, trust that he knows what he is doing and doing the best for you
He doesn't care how much money he is making off of you, he cares if you get pregnant or not. Our Egg retrieval only ended up with 5 mature and he said we needed another egg retrieval and I said I couldn't afford it and he said "then I won't charge you". He is in this business to help people complete their families, not to make a profit off of vulnerable women.
First retrieval we used gonal-f, menopur, and cetrotide but my follicles didn't respond well so we switched up to add clomid and testosterone patches for the second cycle. I got the same result but I liked how he tried something different to see if we could get a better outcome
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jen Atkinson)
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
Strength would be the compassion and working with each person individually. They have great success rates because Dr. Ahlering knows what he is doing. They are very busy so sometimes they don't return calls super fast but they never forget you.
His view was that people should have large families if they want them, but one baby at a time was best for mother and baby- he likes to transfer one embryo at a time
Chesterfield

I feel like [Dr. Peter Ahlering is] a great doctor overall but is not great about listening to or respecting patients concerns if they fall outside what he believes. He can be close minded in his treatment approach and will refuse treatment options that are outside his opinion of what causes failure in IVF. You really have to advocate hard for yourself with this doctor if you’d like to explore any other option
I have had a couple nursing coordinators [at MCRM] but Jen F. was always timely in her response and generally compassionate. I’m a long distance patient so her being responsive was very important to me...After contacting multiple staff members and leaving voicemails and emails, I received a call that they had lost or just received my results. It was a very nerve wracking experience, as anyone waiting on results can attest to!
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
I feel like he’s a great doctor overall but is not great about listening to or respecting patients concerns if they fall outside what he believes. He can be close minded in his treatment approach and will refuse treatment options that are outside his opinion of what causes failure in IVF. You really have to advocate hard for yourself with this doctor if you’d like to explore any other options.
Be prepared to do your own research if things don’t go as planned and actively seek out treatments you think might benefit you because he may not. Ie, intralipids, ERA testing, uterine scratch.
I felt the doctor was always too busy to remember details and didn’t listen well to our concerns or questions. However, he’s personable while you’re in his office and his nursing staff is usually really great.
We used ICSI with nanobeads for sperm selection, PGS testing, global-f. Our transfers were basic with estrogen and progesterone supplementation. Our first cycle produced good embryos but no pregnancies and 1 ectopic that required emergency surgery. We are still in progress after our second retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Farley)
I have had a couple nursing coordinators but Jen F. was always timely in her response and generally compassionate. I’m a long distance patient so her being responsive was very important to me.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
I think they’ve gotten so busy, they forgot about the personal aspect of all this and how daunting ivf can be. You really have to seek out answers to questions. After failures, it’s hard to get an appointment any sooner than 2 weeks out. After a failed transfer, the sooner the consultation, the better. Trust me. They have great technology though that as far as I know, no other clinics have, especially in regards to sperm selection. They will work with you financially, particularly after failed cycles.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at MCRM Fertility.
I did off site monitoring because I live out of state.
Our first cycle was around $13000 for retrieval and one transfer. We then paid about 2-3k per transfer after. Our second cycle was given to us at about half price due to our ending up with all failures and an ectopic. We’ve spent about $25k at this clinic.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at MCRM Fertility.
Our first retrieval cycle, we PGS tested our embryos. They said they had not received them yet on Friday afternoon of the week they were to have been done. I contacted genetic testing lab and was told they’d been sent overtwo days earlier. After contacting multiple staff members and leaving voicemails and emails, I received a call that they had lost or just received my results. It was a very nerve wracking experience, as anyone waiting on results can attest to!
Chesterfield

The biggest strength of the clinic [MCRM] is that they have a patient support specialist. This really made this clinic stand out above others to me. They organize patient events and gatherings. She also manages a Facebook page for patients which allows patients to connect. They also coordinate a cycle buddy program so you have someone to connect with during the IVF cycle. They are amazing with their patient outreach.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Dr Ahlering is an outstanding doctor with compassion for his patients. He is very knowledgeable and confident in his research and choices for treatment. He is also willing to consider your opinion and take into account your personal wishes for treatment. Even though I have diminished ovarian reserve, he has never once given up on me or my desire to pursue treatment using my own eggs. He is very specialized in treating patients who have diminished ovarian reserve by focusing on using less medication and getting more quality from the eggs retrieved. He is very compassionate and respectful of his patients.
He is a very caring and friendly doctor who is very knowledgeable and trustworthy.
The staff is always very welcoming and warm. I felt like they all knew my name and were always very encouraging and compassionate. Dr Ahlering is very interested in ensuring I felt like all of my questions were addressed.
Dr Ahlering prefers the Antagonist protocol with treating patients with DOR. He uses a combination of oral medication and injectables. I had one cycle cancelled due to no response to medication which I was using clomid and injectables so the following cycle he had me use Letrozole and injectables but also starting the oral medication prior to the timing I did in the previous cycle which gave me 4 mature eggs from 4 follicles at baseline. The next cycle we continued with the Letrozole but used them at the same time as the injectables which resulted in 2 eggs retrieved from 3 follicles at the baseline scan.
My coordinator was extremely compassionate and helpful outside of and during my retrieval cycles. Always responsive to questions and took the time to see me if she was available to say hi during my monitoring appointments. All of the nursing staff were very warm and compassionate and made the experience positive.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
The biggest strength of the clinic is that they have a patient support specialist. This really made this clinic stand out above others to me. They organize patient events and gatherings. She also manages a Facebook page for patients which allows patients to connect. They also coordinate a cycle buddy program so you have someone to connect with during the IVF cycle. They are amazing with their patient outreach. Occasionally it does feel a little disorganized since they cycle all of the patients at the same time so it gets pretty chaotic and it can be difficult to get in touch with someone once the phones are turned off after hours. They have an emergency line for after hours but some questions are better off not considering it an emergency!
Dr Ahlering includes a few things as part of his standard of care such as ICSI and then some extra add ins depending on the patient needs. He offers an embryoscope, nanobead sperm selection and positive sperm selection.
No comment
Chesterfield
During our first meeting with Dr. Ahlering he answered all of our questions, explained all the science his lab used to male factor, and gave us some options for us to think about. We met with him again to discuss the results of our lab work and semen analysis. From there, he made a detailed plan for us and made sure he answered all of our questions. When I emailed him additional questions we had throughout the process, he always he emailed me back within 24 hours (usually by the end of the day)!...He made us feel very relaxed and we never felt uncomfortable asking questions. His bedside manor is some of the best we’ve experienced!
It was around $18,500 out of pocket without any insurance coverage [at MCRM]. They offer a $1000 educator discount...There were times during our cycle that I had to advocate for myself and be assertive but the nurses were always quick to call me back and answer all my questions!...Jen and Rachel [nurses] were both amazing!! Jen did tons of leg work to see if any of my meds would be covered by insurance (even though they were not). I do wish I would have received my list of medications sooner than a few days before my start date. This would have given me time to comparison shop for medications.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Dr. A is amazing! He was so thorough in answering all our questions and explaining what would happen as we went through every step. He made us feel very relaxed and we never felt uncomfortable asking questions. His bedside manor is some of the best we’ve experienced!
Don’t be afraid to ask questions!
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jen and Rachel )
Jen and Rachel were both amazing!! Jen did tons of leg work to see if any of my meds would be covered by insurance (even though they were not). I do wish I would have received my list of medications sooner than a few days before my start date. This would have given me time to comparison shop for medications.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
In December of 2016 my husband and I saw our FIRST specialist. We left the appointment feeling hopeless! The doctor was rude.. he showed no enthusiasm... there was no detailed plan. They made us watch a video in a small dark room, by ourselves! It.Was.AWFUL! A year passed. Then, after talking with a high school friend, (and MCRM patient!) my husband wanted a second opinion. I sent an email to MCRM on MLK day 2018, not expecting a call back because the office was closed. Within 30 MINUTES someone was on the phone with me, getting everything scheduled! And let me tell you, I JUST KNEW!! I KNEW it would be different! I KNEW they cared! I KNEW we had found our clinic! We met with Dr. Ahlering on 1-30-2018 and, for the first time in YEARS, we felt HOPEFUL, EXCITED, and so very THANKFUL! MCRM has different technology and Dr. A showed us, in detail, the difference in his lab as compared to others. We knew it wouldn’t be easy. We knew there were no guarantees. But, when you feel supported in this journey, it makes all the difference!! There were times during our cycle that I had to advocate for myself and be assertive but the nurses were always quick to call me back and answer all my questions!
It was around $18,500 out of pocket without any insurance coverage. They offer a $1000 educator discount.
Dr. Ahlering was very honest with us about the risks of transferring multiples and said it would be a safer option to transfer a single, frozen embryo. We trusted his judgement!
Chesterfield
I really respect Dr. Ahlering but I don't see him often. I've actually only seen him twice - at my initial consultation and then a few weeks later when getting the results. Since starting treatment I haven't seen him but I have been offered appointments with him.... I am currently in my 3rd IUI cycle and my medication combination has changed each cycle. I feel like the changes are in response to how the previous went and I appreciate that we're making these changes and not doing something that doesn't work over and over.
The entire staff at MCRM is so kind and loving. I always feel like a human - not a number - when I'm in the office. It's very important to me since I spend so much time their during any given month.... They are so busy - so they are occasionally running behind. They offer early appointments which I appreciate because of my work schedule. You likely won't see Dr. A [Ahlering] all that often but the rest of the staff is great and I always feel well taken care of.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Right now, I'd say that I really like him and would recommend him but I'm not sure how long that would be the case if we don't get better results soon. Not that the results are his fault but I would start to wonder about the treatment plan.
I am currently in my 3rd IUI cycle and my medication combination has changed each cycle. I feel like the changes are in response to how the previous went and I appreciate that we're making these changes and not doing something that doesn't work over and over. I started with just oral medications and a trigger, then my dosage was upped for my second and now on my third I'm doing injectibles, orals and a trigger. I am hopeful that this cycle will give the results we want.
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christina)
Christina is amazing. I don't know how she does it all! She regularly is returning my messages and calls well after hours and I always feel very informed.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
They are so busy - so they are occasionally running behind. They offer early appointments which I appreciate because of my work schedule. You likely won't see Dr. A all that often but the rest of the staff is great and I always feel well taken care of.
Each ultrasound is $200, the IUI procedure and sperm wash is $500. I have had 1 ultrasound each cycle except the first when I had 2. In addition to the procedures above my medications cost anywhere from $200 - $500 a cycle. The most I've spent is $1,200 for 1 cycle.
Chesterfield

Dr. Ahlering was very friendly and seemed genuinely concerned about us. However, he underplayed the risks of being unsuccessful...Dr. Ahlering likes to say that his protocols are individualized but they really aren't. My nurse mentioned that it was the "___" protocol - essentially one of a dozen options and one commonly used for people with PCOS. When my results were OK, but not stellar, during monitoring visits, Dr. Ahlering did very little to increase my dosages or change the path we were on which ultimately led to failure.
When we called to reschedule our retrieval time [at MCRM], Rachel was very rude - I have not spoken to her directly since as I began communicating with a different coordinator after that exchange....here were a few routine business office matters that were pretty frustrating, including issues with insurance...The discounts are OK - but very limited. I would personally like to see a needs based discount for couples with low income to allow those of us with a subsistence income to have the chance to have a baby too.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Dr. Ahlering was very friendly and seemed genuinely concerned about us. However, he underplayed the risks of being unsuccessful, even going so far as to say that with our numbers we were looking at at least one and maybe two live births. Needless to say, when I ended up with dramatically fewer eggs (10 not 20), embryos (2) and no live births, I was very disappointed/heartbroken and angry at myself for spending our life savings on something we were lead to believe was a pretty sure thing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Ahlering at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Take his enthusiasm for your chances of success with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, he is selling a very expensive service.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Ahlering at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
We had specifically requested a later retrieval because my husband has had a demonstrably lower count/quality in the mornings. We had also discussed a Sunday retrieval with Dr. Aubuchon (we saw her for our pre-retrieval appointment instead of Dr. Ahlering because he was busy). After this appointment we were scheduled for the very first 7 am appointment on Saturday. When we called in to ask why and how to get this changed, we were basically told that they could not and would not change it - like it or lump it! - and that they had 70 other patients and were too busy to accommodate our needs... even if we had spent $10000+ in patients to MCRM specifically for the treatment.
Describe the protocols Peter Ahlering used in your cycles at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility and their degree of success.
I purchased the IVF Gold package. Dr. Ahlering likes to say that his protocols are individualized but they really aren't. My nurse mentioned that it was the "___" protocol - essentially one of a dozen options and one commonly used for people with PCOS. When my results were OK, but not stellar, during monitoring visits, Dr. Ahlering did very little to increase my dosages or change the path we were on which ultimately led to failure.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
When we called to reschedule our retrieval time, Rachel was very rude - I have not spoken to her directly since as I began communicating with a different coordinator after that exchange. Overall, she did a good job before that and the decision to just squeeze us in was not hers. So, although we had a very heated exchange, overall she did an acceptable job.
Describe your experience with Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
Overall, MCRM is a marketing machine that is attempting to grow their clinic and attract new patients. They do offer relatively low prices and are interested in using newer technologies to improve success. I do think they believe they are doing good for people, however, it is hard to understand how any clinic can excuse charging such high prices to cash pay patients while giving huge discounts to insuranced patients (through their agreements with the insurance companies) but this is an industry-wide issue not specific to MCRM. Dr. Ahlering is knowledgable and wants a good outcome for his patients. Even so, they are actively building on to their facility with new construction, etc. The discounts are OK - but very limited. I would personally like to see a needs based discount for couples with low income to allow those of us with a subsistence income to have the chance to have a baby too.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Ahlering at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
$10,000 for the Gold package with discounts $3500 for medication $2200 for PGS testing (we ultimately decided not to do this when we only had 2 embryos, we had been told we were likely to have 8+ when we started the process)
Describe Peter Ahlering's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
We had two embryos and he was more than happy to transfer two embyros. From what I have heard, he is willing to transfer more embryos if that means a successful pregnancy, regardless of risk of multiples. The clinic seems to have a relatively high number of multiples.
What specific things went wrong at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility.
Pretty much the things already described - changing decisions after consulting with us and not allowing us to be involved in those changes. There were a few routine business office matters that were pretty frustrating, including issues with insurance, but while frustrating they did not impact our treatment in the end.
Missouri Center for Reproductive Medicine & Fertility
Columbia

He [Dr. Ahlering] was very knowledgeable but he wasn’t very sympathetic. He didn’t want to really explain why it wasn’t working. He was more interested in explaining the process. I also asked him to write a letter saying that I was diagnosed as ‘infertile’. However, all he did was basically say it was my fault we were not trying IVF again...He treated me like a human but he tried to make everything seem ‘normal’ when I was not able to get pregnant. He basically couldn’t give me a reason that both transfers failed.
The clinic [MCRM] was nice. It was in a nice location in Chesterfield. It was sometimes hard to get through to a real person when calling the office. The front desk ladies were nice. However, they didn't always know what was going on...Was suppose to have blood work done, but the front office didn't know. So I sat and waited for 30 minutes before someone finally telling me I needed to get my blood drawn. Waited over an hour for some appointments.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
He was very knowledgeable but he wasn’t very sympathetic. He didn’t want to really explain why it wasn’t working. He was more interested in explaining the process. I also asked him to write a letter saying that I was diagnosed as ‘infertile’. However, all he did was basically say it was my fault we were not trying IVF again.
Be prepared to spend a lot of money and don’t get your hopes up.
He treated me like a human but he tried to make everything seem ‘normal’ when I was not able to get pregnant. He basically couldn’t give me a reason that both transfers failed. I ultimately felt like he just wanted more money.
I used the normal IVF drugs and protocol the first time. The second time, we did everything the same except we included anti-rejection shots even though Dr. Ahlering didn’t think that was a real drain it didn’t work the first time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey)
At first, she was very attentive. But once I had the second failed cycle, she was less attentive and sometimes rude.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
The clinic was nice. It was in a nice location in Chesterfield. It was sometimes hard to get through to a real person when calling the office. The front desk ladies were nice. However, they didn't always know what was going on so I would have to tell them what I needed at my next appointment.
The initial cycle was around $15,000 (depending on medications). The second cycle was given to me at a discounted rate. He took about $4,000 off but they added more medications.
Chesterfield

While we are at the beginning of our journey, Dr. Ahlering wanted to go straight to IUI without knowing the full story of me and my husband's health. I had to push back several times that I was not doing an IUI until we got my husband's tests back. It was frustrating--it felt as if we was just pushing us along without actually looking at our situation.
Our coordinator [at MCRM], Christina, does an OK job. I am always able to reach her via email, but often need to follow up to ensure she is answering the questions I need. Before my first trigger shot, she did not realize she had not actually given me any instructions on how to do it--the whole process felt unorganized.... You will have to stay on top of them for communication and clarifying any questions you have.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Dr. Ahlering is friendly. You will have to ask him to slow down and for exact reasons behind his recommendations as he does not do a good job of explaining your options as opposed to just saying "do this."
Make sure you have a clear understanding of ALL your options, the pros and the cons. He will easily overwhelm a patient who does not feel comfortable questioning or advocating for themselves.
We are still in the middle of our journey, so there will be more to come. So far, we've done a medicated, monitored cycle with a trigger shot. In the middle of that cycle, we got my husband's semen analysis results back which showed some issues. We are going to see an urologist who specializes in male infertility as Dr. Ahlering does not seem to have the knowledge to do as much for my husband.
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christina, Coordinator)
Our coordinator, Christina, does an OK job. I am always able to reach her via email, but often need to follow up to ensure she is answering the questions I need. Before my first trigger shot, she did not realize she had not actually given me any instructions on how to do it--the whole process felt unorganized.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at MCRM Fertility.
Test results are hard to get. I've had to call and email several times. My coordinator did not call in my trigger shot prescription and had to do it last minute. Dr. Ahlering was pushing to do an IUI procedure without having the whole picture of our fertility situation, which would have been a waste of an IUI cycle due to male factor infertility. Dr. Ahlering gave my husband his semen analysis results and said he would never be able to conceive without IVF. That may end up being true, but Dr. Ahlering said that without doing any additional testing on my husband. No bloodwork, no ultrasound, no repeat semen analysis. We are going to a urologist to get more complete information.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Ahlering is very compassionate. He is knowledgable and always discussing current research. Sometimes it seems he's not on board with what many other doctors are doing though (such as with immune factors in failed FETs/RPL). He has some of the best technology and resources I've seen...I do wish we had made medication/dosage changes sooner to try for better results. He seemed hesitant on making protocol changes... He will always sit down and discuss things with you if you ask.
Sometimes they [MCRM] seem unorganized. Messages or notes don't always get passed from one person to another and communicated well. The front desk is courteous and kind. The lab is excellent about answering emails and questions...My coordinator always made me feel comfortable & informed about the necessities, but sometimes I received phone calls from other people who weren't my coordinator and wished all my news had come from her--good or bad...
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Be thorough on your questions. Don't expect him to tell you every single detail. Be realistic with your expectations. You are not the only patient, so try to remember that if you feel neglected or not heard. Discuss options with him and ask if you want to know things. He will always sit down and discuss things with you if you ask.
Diagnosis: Severe male factor.... also questionable egg quality. We've been through 5 retrievals and 1 canceled cycle due to low response on my end. I don't think there's anything he's done that has hurt our success, but I do wish we had made medication/dosage changes sooner to try for better results. He seemed hesitant on making protocol changes and I felt like we just kept having poor results without making any significant changes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
Lindsay often emailed or called just to check on me or give me reminders of dates, medication start dates, etc. She always shows compassion and truly appears to care for her patients. She is kind and makes me feel comfortable.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
Sometimes they seem unorganized. Messages or notes don't always get passed from one person to another and communicated well. The front desk is courteous and kind. The lab is excellent about answering emails and questions.
Even with "100%" insurance coverage, I still had OOP expenses. There was a deposit to hold our spot in our first cycle, additional resources not covered--such as nanobeads & embryosope. Also, biopsy/freezing & PGS testing.
Dr. Ahlering has always been open and honest about the risks of transferring and potentially carrying multiples. I appreciate the fact that he does this and I feel like he encourages a single transfer for the health and well-being of the mother, but I also understand why people want to transfer multiple embryos, especially with the cost of additional transfers.
Chesterfield
Dr. Peter Ahlering appears to be very knowledgeable about infertility, and I personally believe he is not only an expert, but a pioneer in the field of infertility science, as he keeps up with all the latest testing and treatments. I feel very comfortable in his presence and in his care... Your coordinator is your point of contact to MCRM and Dr. Ahlering. The Coordinators are in-charge of updating Dr. Ahlering to your situation, your medications (ordering and dosage), and your calendar of medication and treatments.
MCRM is a good place to go to if you don't want to feel like just a number at a clinic but an actual person that matters. I felt like everyone at MCRM truly wanted me to get pregnant, have a good pregnancy and a healthy baby(ies). However, I also think that they have experienced rapid growth in clientele during the past year and so, and getting on the transfer schedule may take a month or two wait. Also, mistakes have been made in regards to my care, but most of them were quickly resolved.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
He is a very busy man, please be patient with him. Infertility can be a very long and cruel journey (spanning years), please be patient with yourself and your situation.
We are assigned a coordinator and mine was pretty good at keeping up with my questions and concerns.
At MCRM you are assigned a coordinator. Your coordinator is your point of contact to MCRM and Dr. Ahlering. The Coordinators are in-charge of updating Dr. Ahlering to your situation, your medications (ordering and dosage), and your calendar of medication and treatments. It is best to communicate with coordinators through email, but you can call if need be. They will always call you with important information. If you have a question or concern and it's after business hours you can contact an on-call coordinator that will assist you. The coordinators are great!
Shawnie Hurt is a thoughtful and positive coordinator. She is my point of contact at MCRM and always answers my questions and concerns to the best of her ability. If she doesn't have an answer, then she speaks with Dr. Ahlering and gets back to me with one. I think she must work long and hard hours and she does so with calmness and compassion.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
Our insurance wouldn't cover any infertility treatment. Dr. Ahlering is less expensive than the clinic we first went to located on the the East Coast. But out of pocket for infertility is just expensive. Be prepared to pay out several thousand dollars no matter what you do.
For both of my transfers, I've transferred two embryos. The first resulted in twin girls. The second resulted in miscarriage.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at MCRM Fertility.
We've had some paperwork lost that was important to dosage amounts for the day.
Chesterfield
I think my first IVF cycle was very "Fertility 101" and nothing special about it, after it was cancelled due to low ovarian response I had an appointment [with Dr. Ahlering] to go over what the next steps would be. Dr. Ahlering seemed very unsure about how to move forward, but at the end of our appointment a light bulb seemed to go off in his head and he subsequently added Letrozole to my regular IVF med calendar. Unfortunately, Letrozole seemed to lower my estrogen levels to a point where Dr. Ahlering decided to cancel my IVF cycle again...
Our IVF "Gold" package [at MCRM] was about $10,000 plus another $4000 in outside costs for meds and tests. Also a $350 cost for sperm test and $150 or so for charges before our IVF package took place...Weaknesses- I found that MCRM's accountant, Dena was quite unfriendly and hardly ever returned phone calls or emails, in the very beginning I was told that my chart had a note that said I was to only see Dr. Ahlering for ultrasounds (due to some medical concerns) and yet there were times I saw a nurse or the other doctor.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Dr. Ahlering always seems a bit rushed, but he is clearly a very devoted and passionate. I was quite surprised that when I had my "Why my IVF cycle was cancelled" appointment, he seemed very unfamiliar with my case which was not so comforting considering the situation.
BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE. Be sure that you are just as informed about the medicine and ART procedures that you will go through.
I like that we have IVF coordinators that are "assigned" to be in constant communication with us and explain things, support us, etc- but I found that many times my coordinator's emails were very short with littler to no explanation about what was going on, I found that I learned more about my cycle and why things didn't work through talking with other patients. Also, when I went in to speak with Dr. Ahlering about my cancelled IVF cycle (after about a month), he seemed very unfamiliar with me and my case. I do not expect Dr. Ahlering to remember all of his patients and their situations, but I do wish he would be familiar with the patient he is seeing during an appointment- especially one as sensitive as a cancelled or failed IVF cycle.
I think my first IVF cycle was very "Fertility 101" and nothing special about it, after it was cancelled due to low ovarian response I had an appointment to go over what the next steps would be. Dr. Ahlering seemed very unsure about how to move forward, but at the end of our appointment a light bulb seemed to go off in his head and he subsequently added Letrozole to my regular IVF med calendar. Unfortunately, Letrozole seemed to lower my estrogen levels to a point where Dr. Ahlering decided to cancel my IVF cycle again.
My coordinator was VERY positive, which helped me stay positive, but primarily when I physically saw her at the clinic. Her emails were quite short and offered very little explanation to questions I had.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
Strengths- I've never had to wait more than a few minutes for my appointment, most of the staff were extremely polite and positive, I usually got email responses from my coordinator within 12-24 hours. Weaknesses- I found that MCRM's accountant, Dena was quite unfriendly and hardly ever returned phone calls or emails, in the very beginning I was told that my chart had a note that said I was to only see Dr. Ahlering for ultrasounds (due to some medical concerns) and yet there were times I saw a nurse or the other doctor.
Our IVF "Gold" package was about $10,000 plus another $4000 in outside costs for meds and tests. Also a $350 cost for sperm test and $150 or so for charges before our IVF package took place.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at MCRM Fertility.
During my first IVF cycle, I received a medicine calendar that had some errors, luckily I caught them and asked about them and was told the correct information- but it still bothered me. There was a time that I was getting an ultrasound done and the nurse didn't put my name on the door so another doctor came in while I was getting my ultrasound done. I was also told that my file indicated that all of my ultrasounds were to be done by Dr. Ahlering, but judging by the frequency to which that was not done- I'm thinking that it was not in my file as I was told.
Chesterfield
My first nurse [at MCRM] did not communicate very well and was unorganized. Once Rachel became my coordinator, everything was explained better and I felt more calm for our transfer...There are many strenghts and very few weaknesses...My husband and I got our medication for free through the Livestrong Cancer Foundation. Other than that, we paid less than $12,000 [for IVF]...Dr. Ahlering has been very caring and understanding of our situation. Each question, phone call or email, was answered quickly and honestly and explained in a way it was easy to understand. My husband was diagnosed with cancer several years ago and Dr. Ahlering helped us get through our first IVF cycle with 3 genetically normal embryos. We had our first transfer one week ago and are currently waiting for our Beta results.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Dont be afraid to ask questions. MCRM is very good at communicating, but you can't be afraid to ask anything. It can become very intense and stressful, but they are there to help you through the whole process.
Each discussion was thoroughly explained and comfortable.
Everyone's protocal will be different. Thankfully I do not have to deal with endo, PCOS or other female fertility issues so our cycle was mild compared to other women.
Describe your experience with your nurse at MCRM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rachel Lowrie)
My first nurse did not communicate very well and was unorganized. Once Rachel became my coordinator, everything was explained better and I felt more calm for our transfer.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
There are many strenghts and very few weaknesses. I would say the one thing to be sure and ask about would be possible side effects for stims and the best way to do the PIO shot for transfer.
This all varies depending on what your situation is. My husband and I got our medication for free through the Livestrong Cancer Foundation. Other than that, we paid less than $12,000.
Dr Ahlering told us that since all of our embryos were genetically normal, we could transfer one or two. It was up to us whether we wanted twins. We chose to transfer one at a time to reduce any complications that could arise with multiples.
2017, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Peter Ahlering] will set up telephone call visits with my husband and I so we can discuss what happened and plans of action moving forward. He has a good bedside manner when we are in St Louis for retrievals... My second cycle we increased the amount of Menopur and we ended up with 11 eggs again. My third cycle I am currently in and we removed Menopur and increased Gonal F and as of this morning, I have only two dominant follicles on ultrasound. I don't really know the rationale behind his choices. I just trust him to know what he is doing!
Jen [nurse at MCRM] has a lot of work cut out for her every month. My favorite thing about her is her compassion. I need it. She is prompt with schedules and is in contact with me even after hours if needed via phone or e-mail. I really appreciate her...They work from sun up to sun down on retrieval days. My nurses during retrieval are always very kind and helpful. They are a great team!...The clinic seems to be a well-oiled machine. They do a great job of seeing several girls a day during cycle week.
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Dr. Ahlering is in St Louis and I live in Tulsa Oklahoma. He is accommodating to us Tulsa girls and I appreciate that. He will set up telephone call visits with my husband and I so we can discuss what happened and plans of action moving forward. He has a good bedside manner when we are in St Louis for retrievals. I get a warm fuzzy feeling just being around him. He is doing a wonderful thing helping couples create families!
Just know that you are not guaranteed success in the first cycle and it may be hard to drive or fly to St Louis frequently for multiple cycles. That can get expensive on top of an expensive disease to start with. I am very happy with the clinic staff and Dr. Ahlering. The only thing to think about is getting there!
Just due to the sheer amount of patients he sees on a monthly basis for fertility treatments amazes me. It's not his fault there are so many infertile couples though. I felt mostly like a human, but didn't give it a 100% just because his clinic is so busy.
My first cycle resulted in retrieving 11 eggs after using Gonal F and Menopur to stimulate my ovaries. My second cycle we increased the amount of Menopur and we ended up with 11 eggs again. My third cycle I am currently in and we removed Menopur and increased Gonal F and as of this morning, I have only two dominant follicles on ultrasound. I don't really know the rationale behind his choices. I just trust him to know what he is doing!
Jen has a lot of work cut out for her every month. I can't imagine trying to keep track of 20 plus girls' menstrual cycles and dealing with their emotions. My favorite thing about her is her compassion. I need it. She is prompt with schedules and is in contact with me even after hours if needed via phone or e-mail. I really appreciate her.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
The clinic seems to be a well-oiled machine. They do a great job of seeing several girls a day during cycle week. They work from sun up to sun down on retrieval days. My nurses during retrieval are always very kind and helpful. They are a great team!
Our doctor highly recommended we transfer a single embryo. He felt like multiples were risky and could cause problems for me and the babies that we might avoid by just using one.
Chesterfield

my husband and i were put on Clomid [by Dr. Ahlering] and i had to take a trigger shot a day before my IUI...was so amazing to work with. Something I will not forget is that he called me after hours to see how I was doing after the IUI. It amazed me that the doctor would reach out to me personally. I’ve never had that happen with ANY doctor period...Of course I have questions after 2 failed IUIs what’s next. He answered all of my questions and gave me different options. Going through this journey is already difficult enough but I felt he was really caring and sincere. After my IUI the doctor called me after hours to check and see how I was doing! I was so impressed by that! He really treated me like a human being! He’s a great doctor and would recommend to any of my friends going through the same situation.
The staff [at MCRM] was always so friendly and positive. If money wasn’t an issue I would go to them in a heartbeat...Christina [nurse] was extremely helpful. She responded quickly to my questions (and there were many). She made my medication schedule easy to understand and gave me specific directions about the times...I received an IUI treatment through a drawing at one of their events for patients and previous patients. However I believe each ultrasound was $250. Not sure how much blood work cost or what the cost of the meds were
How was your experience with Peter Ahlering at MCRM Fertility?
Going to see a new doctor is always very worrisome. What are they going to say? What are they going to do? Of course I have questions after 2 failed IUIs what’s next. He answered all of my questions and gave me different options. Going through this journey is already difficult enough but I felt he was really caring and sincere. After my IUI the doctor called me after hours to check and see how I was doing! I was so impressed by that! He really treated me like a human being! He’s a great doctor and would recommend to any of my friends going through the same situation.
I would tell them to take the information in, review and make your decision. A lot of options were given and it can be overwhelming but in the end you need to know ALL of your options and with the help of your doctor chose what is best for you.
Dr. Ahlering was so amazing to work with. Something I will not forget is that he called me after hours to see how I was doing after the IUI. It amazed me that the doctor would reach out to me personally. I’ve never had that happen with ANY doctor period. The staff was always so friendly and positive. If money wasn’t an issue I would go to them in a heartbeat.
I don’t remember specifics I just remember my husband and i were put on Clomid and i had to take a trigger shot a day before my IUI
Christina was extremely helpful. She responded quickly to my questions (and there were many). She made my medication schedule easy to understand and gave me specific directions about the times.
Describe your experience with MCRM Fertility.
The staff was very nice and always greeted you with a smile. The only thing I would point out is sometimes a question might get lost in the portal. After a couple of days I would contact them directly and ask to speak to someone that could help