Kofinas Fertility Group

Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolUCLA
ResidencyUCLA
FellowshipUCLA
506 6th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
Staten Island
4855 Hylan Blvd.
Staten Island, NY 10312
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Peter Brzechffa to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kofinas Fertility Group to a friend?
Endometriosis, PCOS
Dr. B [Brzechffa] was the first doctor to ever make me feel comfortable throughout my entire 8 years of ttc. The moment I met him he was funny, talkative and made me feel like my journey was in the right hands. No matter how scared I was during our visits he reassured me that he wouldn't cause me any unnecessary pain...From the start he was kind and talkative.... Dr.B took the time to care about my situation if even just for that moment. I appreciated that.
Endometriosis, PCOS
How was your experience with Peter Brzechffa at Kofinas Fertility Group?
Dr. B hit it off with me right from the start. When I first started my journey with Kofinas Institute I originally had another doctor. She had gotten pregnant and was having complications so majority of the time she'd be on leave. They tried to fit me in with another doctor but she was very cold. Like ice. So I requested another doctor. That's when I met Dr.B. From the start he was kind and talkative. I was just about to do my 2nd IUI (of a back to back IUI process) and was completely shaken up as my first IUI had gone terribly just 2 days prior. He made me so relaxed that I barely even felt the catheter go through. He even let me know about my tilted uterus which no other doctor had ever informed me. Dr.B took the time to care about my situation if even just for that moment. I appreciated that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Brzechffa at Kofinas Fertility Group?
He likes to talk so be prepared to listen.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Brzechffa at Kofinas Fertility Group?
Dr. B was the first doctor to ever make me feel comfortable throughout my entire 8 years of ttc. The moment I met him he was funny, talkative and made me feel like my journey was in the right hands. No matter how scared I was during our visits he reassured me that he wouldn't cause me any unnecessary pain. I appreciated that because other doctors would just poke and prod me like cattle. He wasn't my regular doctor at first, but after my doctor quit the facility I made it my business to request him for each of my visits thereafter.
Describe the protocols Peter Brzechffa used in your cycles at Kofinas Fertility Group and their degree of success.
Prior to being under the care of Dr.B I had a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy and d&c because an HSG exam did not work for me. While inside they found a large mass weighing down my left Fallopian tube which they removed. They also found endometriosis stage 1 which they too removed. My tubes were reportedly open and I was give. The green light to begin ttc again. 2 weeks after surgery I started my first round of Clomid 50mgs. It failed. After that I did 3 more cycles of Clomid 50mgs. Ovulation didn't occur and pregnancy wasn't achieved. I was told I would need to go the route of injections. While under the care of Dr.B I was on a 75iu then 125iu of Gonal-F switching everyday for about 2 weeks. I'd go in every other day for an ultrasound and blood draws. When my eggs matured I was given the OK to do my trigger shot of Novarel. 2 days after triggering I went in for my IUI. I did this routine for 4 months. Each cycle was a failed attempt and none achieved pregnancy. After my final IUI I was told by Dr.B during a consult visit that IVF would be my last hope at achieving a pregnancy. Since then we've been trying but struggling to save up our pennies to make that happen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kofinas Fertility Group. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
My nurse for a good portion of my visits was Jessica. She was the best. Every day that I was there she'd be happy and cheerful. No matter how nerve wrecking the appointment she'd manage to calm me. The day I found out I'd need surgery she was there and managed to ease all the fear within me. There are a few really great nurses there but she's definitely one of the best.
Describe your experience with Kofinas Fertility Group.
One of their strengths would be they don't have a set appointment schedule between the hours of 7-9am. So you can just walk right in and be seen by a doctor or a nurse for blood draws. They are also very welcoming. When it comes to weaknesses I would say one is that it does take a while to hear back from them if you leave a message for a nurse or doctor. Calling in for results usually ends up an all day game of phone tag. Other than that I love this facility and would recommend it to anyone ttc.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Brzechffa at Kofinas Fertility Group.
My copay was $50 per visit. I had to visit every other day for 3 weeks per month. My injections out of pocket were $80 per injection. I used about 21 injections per cycle. Those were the only costs I had to endure during my past treatments.
What specific things went wrong at Kofinas Fertility Group?
4 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
[Dr. Brzechffa's] bedside manner is excellent, but he is also direct and to the point...He is an excellent doctor with a great knowledge of his specialty. While he doesn't always have the answers we are looking for, he is trustworthy and compassionate. There are specialized infertility issues that he is not as tuned into, but as a general infertility doctor, he does a great job...Be prepared to ask for more specifics.
4 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Peter Brzechffa at Kofinas Fertility Group?
Be prepared to ask for more specifics.
His bedside manner is excellent, but he is also direct and to the point.
We were on Lupron to prepare for the cycle, then switched to progesterone oil and lovenox before and after the transfer.
The nurses at Kofinas, while overworked at times, really get to know you on a personal basis and it feels like they absolutely care about the patients there. I would say the only weakness is a lack of organization at times when they are incredibly busy.
Describe your experience with Kofinas Fertility Group.
The staff at Kofinas really puts in the effort to get to know their patients. You don't feel like a number and you feel like they really care about you. The biggest drawback is that they tend to get a little unorganized in their administrative department. Especially when it comes to billing.
Transfer itself is around $4,000. All of the meds and other procedures surrounding the cycle are a la carte and the whole thing usually ends up being around $10,000.
Describe Peter Brzechffa's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kofinas Fertility Group.
N/A. Our embryos were PGS tested, so no reason to do multiple.
What specific things went wrong at Kofinas Fertility Group?
2012
He [Dr. Brzechffa] was amenable to trying IUI when I wanted to do that, and was happy to switch to IVF when we were ready (which really made more sense to begin with anyway)... They [the staff at Kofinas Fertility Group] were lovely. I only ever had one negative interaction with someone at the front desk, otherwise, everyone I dealt with was very very pleasant.
2012
How was your experience with Peter Brzechffa at Kofinas Fertility Group?
He was amenable to trying IUI when I wanted to do that, and was happy to switch to IVF when we were ready (which really made more sense to begin with anyway).
the doctor was very personable. during embryo implantation (retreival and implantation always done by kofinas, i believe) we discussed the pelopenisan wars. i always felt treated like a person there.
They were lovely. I only ever had one negative interaction with someone at the front desk, otherwise, everyone I dealt with was very very pleasant.