Northeastern Reproductive Medicine

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolQueens U.
ResidencyKingston Gen Hosp
FellowshipU. of Tennessee
105 West View Road
Colchester, VT 05446
802-655-8888
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Peter Casson to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Northeastern Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
He [Dr. Casson] is knowledgeable and takes time at his appointments to answer questions and explains things nicely so you can understand. Seems open to suggestions and what you are concerned with.... Sought his opinion after having two miscarriages after already having a healthy baby first try beforehand.... He has been open to testing both myself and my partner, explaining the process and helping us to understand what the next steps are and why.
How was your experience with Peter Casson at Northeastern Reproductive Medicine?
He is knowledgeable and takes time at his appointments to answer questions and explains things nicely so you can understand. Seems open to suggestions and what you are concerned with. Have not yet had to undergo ivf, so far just being worked up for reason we are having recurrent miscarriages. He has been open to testing both myself and my partner, explaining the process and helping us to understand what the next steps are and why.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Casson at Northeastern Reproductive Medicine?
Ask all the questions you have, wrote a list before your appointment and jot down notes. It’s overwhelming and hard to take away all the information after you leave if you don’t write it all down.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Casson at Northeastern Reproductive Medicine?
When you have an appointment to talk to him, he will explain things professionally and compassionately.
Describe the protocols Peter Casson used in your cycles at Northeastern Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Sought his opinion after having two miscarriages after already having a healthy baby first try beforehand. Had a sonohystrogram and was tested for blood clotting issues which all came back negative, except for my AMH which was low. Diagnosed with low ovarian reserve and probably poor egg quality. Was told to try again, conceived and had a miscarriage at 9 weeks after having an ultrasound that showed a thickened nuchal translucency. Genetic testing proved it was Turner syndrome. Went through my first medicine induced miscarriage and follow ups. Have recently had carrier screening performed and found to be a carrier for Niemann pick disease type b. Husband will be having carrier screening testing done next week when we follow up. Going to talk about next step and possibility of ivf with pgs.
I did have to leave messages mostly every time I called but for the most part they called back the same day. They were not rude and did not sound annoyed when explaining things.
Describe your experience with Northeastern Reproductive Medicine.
We had bloodwork done one day and wanted to speak with our doctor who was not there that day unfortunately. We wanted to ask questions to another doctor but she was busy. The lab tech answered as best she could, but we felt we weren’t allowed to see the covering doctor in person. In hindsight, I would have been more proactive been a better advocate for myself. I think we would have been seen had I been more demanding.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Casson at Northeastern Reproductive Medicine.
Haven’t been billed other than for office visit which was only $60 after insurance
What specific things went wrong at Northeastern Reproductive Medicine?
2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr Casson met with us first to retrieve my follicles on our first cycle at his clinic. He took the time to discuss his hopes and potential outcomes. After the first round failed, he expressed his genuine sadness for us and wanted to make sure that our next experience was better. When we were deciding whether to try another round with my eggs, go for adoption or use donor eggs, he sat with us and explained our options.... On our last visit to the clinic before transferring to an OB office, he made sure to see me even though I was only there for an ultrasound and blood work and gave us a graduation gift!
2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr Casson met with us first to retrieve my follicles on our first cycle at his clinic. He took the time to discuss his hopes and potential outcomes. After the first round failed, he expressed his genuine sadness for us and wanted to make sure that our next experience was better. When we were deciding whether to try another round with my eggs, go for adoption or use donor eggs, he sat with us and explained our options. He not only saw us through the procedures but called me personally with updates and to wish us luck on the day of the transfer since it was on the weekend and he was going to be out of town. On our last visit to the clinic before transferring to an OB office, he made sure to see me even though I was only there for an ultrasound and blood work and gave us a graduation gift! He was everything that we had hoped for in a physician and got us to our goal of becoming a family! We have frozen embryos at the clinic and plan to return under his care when we are ready to try for our second!!!
No question is too small to ask.
Peter was so genuine whenever we spoke. He listened to us and provided us with the positive and negative implications for all possible avenues so that we would end up with a child. He was compassionate and ended up helping us to achieve our goal of becoming a family.
For our donor egg cycle, the donor used menopur and gonal-f and I used Lupron and estrogen and progesterone. We did intramuscular shots for progesterone instead of suppositories and even though they are painful (you do get used to them when your partner is good at it) it is totally worth it to ensure that your levels maintain until your body takes over.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northeastern Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Monique van leuven)
Monique was excellent at communicating via email and phone. She made sure to be the one to call me when we did our blood work and received our positive result. She met us at the entrance when we went to hear the heartbeat and again when I had a scare and asked to be seen a few days later. She has emailed since to check on us and now that we have our little girl, she still keeps in touch.
Describe your experience with Northeastern Reproductive Medicine.
The only complaint that I have is that the billing/office management has had a lot of turn-over and bills were incorrect and it took a long time to sort these issues out. The front office staff was wonderful as well as the ultrasound tech. All of the nurses and doctors at the clinic were compassionate and took the time to answer questions and concerns as they came up. They treated us like people and not a number as many other places do. They also took into consideration whether or not our insurance covered certain tests and made sure not to run unnecessary tests on us saving us money
The cost of the IVF with my eggs was approximately 10,000 once we began the cycle. The cost for IVF with egg donation was 21,000 when all was said and done. (All included medication)
Describe Peter Casson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northeastern Reproductive Medicine.
Listen to your doctors recommendation for number of embryos to transfer. Because we had beautiful 5 and 6 day embryos we only transferred 1 and got pregnant the first tome compared to having 3 day embryos before and tranferrI got 2 and getting negative results.
Colchester
Dr. Casson was extremely responsive with our initial email communication...I'm pretty sure my husband and I would follow Dr. Casson into battle at this point. We 100% trust his medical opinion and were obviously pleased by the success of our treatment. Dr. Casson is a straight-shooter and tells it like it is - we appreciated this aspect of his personality, (although know this is not for everyone.) He was also very cognizant of the financial investment we were making in this procedure and felt like this was taken into consideration during our course of treatment.
I'm pretty sure my husband and I would follow Dr. Casson into battle at this point. We 100% trust his medical opinion and were obviously pleased by the success of our treatment. Dr. Casson is a straight-shooter and tells it like it is - we appreciated this aspect of his personality, (although know this is not for everyone.) He was also very cognizant of the financial investment we were making in this procedure and felt like this was taken into consideration during our course of treatment. We also had great interactions with Dr. Brown and Dr. Murray on the occasions that we saw them.
Sometimes he thinks outloud - don't be alarmed by this! :)
Dr. Casson was extremely responsive with our initial email communication - I felt like I had more information going into our initial consultation than after 2-3 visits with a prior doctor. In general this practice is very personal - you get to know the team well and they are invested in your success. We definitely missed them once we transferred to a regular OB for pre-natal care!
We did a freeze-all cycle in case of OHSS. Luckily I did not experience OHSS but think the extra month was a good way to let my body recover before pregnancy. Would do this in future cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northeastern Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Monique (Mo))
I consider Mo to be the primary nurse that we had contact with - she is amazing!! We saw other nurses throughout our treatment too, (Nicole, Stephanie, etc.) and really liked them as well. The whole care team is compassionate & personal.
Describe your experience with Northeastern Reproductive Medicine.
We were extremely impressed by this clinic. We attended an initial info session after having a so-so experience with the hospital and enjoyed hearing from Dr. Murray and Cal (one of the embryologists.) The space is beautiful and has state-of-the-art equipment. Onsite parking is a real bonus - it's easy to get in and out. Appointments always ran on time and it was super convenient to have all of my lab work done here.
~$7000 for IVF + monitoring ($1000), FET ($1000) and meds. $500 for anesthesia was billed separately by the anesthesiologist. Pre-natal care was covered 100% by insurance once pregnant, (we did not have fertility coverage through our insurance.)
Dr. Casson strongly recommended a single embryo transfer because of my age/prognosis. I was glad that he did!
Colchester
Dr. Casson is very knowledgeable so if you don't understand what he is talking about then don't be afraid to ask him to explain....Dr. Casson had suggested doing a freeze all cycle to avoid ovarian hyper stimulation, which I agreed with, and am glad I did it that way. ... Dr. Casson only recommended 4 IUI's before moving on to IVF as opposed to my first clinic which would have done 6. I was fine with 4 I was ready to move on...Dr. Casson has always been very positive about my diagnosis
Dr. Casson has always been very positive about my diagnosis, which is helpful to keep me positive. He has a lot of experience in the field and is doing many great things in Vermont. I came to North Eastern Reproductive Medicine after going to a different clinic for 2 years and I was very happy with the switch. I felt like I had more access to the doctor, and it felt less clinical.
I have always been treated very well in the office by all the staff, they are always pleasant, friendly, and positive. Even times when I am in the office for a routine scan if Dr. Casson sees me down the hall he makes sure to come over and say hi. Sometimes I think he hangs around the office on his days off. He seems very committed.
I am not really sure of the protocols, Dr. Casson had suggested doing a freeze all cycle to avoid ovarian hyper stimulation, which I agreed with, and am glad I did it that way. I was pretty uncomfortable after the egg retrieval and can't imagine doing a fresh cycle. When I was at a different clinic they had me on Femara and times intercourse, when I started to see Dr. Casson he switched me to Clomid as he had participated in a study that showed that women with unexplained infertility had better outcomes with Clomid during IUI's. I never had any positive outcomes on either Femara or Clomid. Dr. Casson only recommended 4 IUI's before moving on to IVF as opposed to my first clinic which would have done 6. I was fine with 4 I was ready to move on.
The nursing staff has always been great. They are the first ones we talk to when we call in with any questions, they always respond in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Northeastern Reproductive Medicine.
It's great that there is always someone available if I need an a question answered. During my IVF cycle I was even able to email one of the nurses to answer some questions. The only thing for me was that it was a far drive and I had to go up frequently for ultrasounds, I was lucky that my work situation allowed me to do that. If anything it would be great if I could have gotten some of the ultrasounds done closer to where I live.
IUI's were $400 with blood work and ultrasounds going to my insurance. IVF was $7,000 with blood work and ultrasound going to insurance and that did not include medication. It was $2,000 for each additional transfer.
Dr. Casson recommended only transferring one for our first transfer. I only wanted one. The second time around he still recommended one, but it was not out of the question if I wanted to do two. I still only transferred one.
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr Casson talked to me like the educated, intelligent person that I am. He was very candid with my chances with all procedures and gave me his honest opinion on all my options. He is thoughtful and considered my whole history.... He is more conservative in terms of more experimental treatments for RPL/ implantation failure which is my only consideration for those who might be interested in those types of treatments.
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr Casson is very giving of his time both via email and in person. He is more conservative in terms of more experimental treatments for RPL/ implantation failure which is my only consideration for those who might be interested in those types of treatments.
Ask any questions - ask for what you want. He will give you his honest opinion and not push you into anything you aren’t completely comfortable with.
I did two IUIs, one with Femara and one with a combo femara & injectibles. Had good ovarian response to both, but two miscarriages. Monitoring is good, appointments available every day of the week which is awesome.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northeastern Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Monique )
The nurses are all fantastic and I highly recommend all of them.
Describe your experience with Northeastern Reproductive Medicine.
The costs are fair, even for fresh donor egg cycles. Wait times are generally short and appointment times are flexible. I do wish they had an in house donor embryo program - this is why I had to move on to another clinic.
I believe iuis were $300, my other treatment was covered with an insurance copay. I did not do ivf with this clinic
Did not do IVF but I think he prefers eSET for most patients.
Colchester
I think that he [Dr. Peter Casson] is so knowledgeable that sometimes it can be overwhelming as someone who doesn't know the technical aspects. It's almost too much info. But I really like him as a person and I feel he really cares about his patients deeply...Dr. Casson is going to use an antagonist protocol with Lupron trigger. Because we have to have PGD done as well our main goal is to produce as many eggs as possible and the antagonist protocol is what he believes with do this.
I think that he is so knowledgeable that sometimes it can be overwhelming as someone who doesn't know the technical aspects. It's almost too much info. But I really like him as a person and I feel he really cares about his patients deeply
To get ready for a really difficult journey but it will be worth it. Just go with the every changing current of IVF and follow Dr. Casson's lead
Dr. Casson gave us hope when we had none. He was very reassuring about our treatment and very knowledgeable about our special needs with PGD testing
They have made me feel very comfortable during the blood draws I've had so far. PGD adds a layer of confusion at times and if they have questions they as rather than assuming.
Describe your experience with Northeastern Reproductive Medicine.
I felt when you walk into the clinic there is a very welcoming and comforting feel. The way it is decorated and set up is very calming. There is always the receptionist there to greet you and has been very responsive with any last minute questions we may have and encourages us to call if we have forgot. They are willing to work with you (like my husband forgot his insurance card and he was able to call w/ info at home)
NRM charged us $4,750 for IVF, $1000 for embryo biopsies, $530 for anesthesia, and $6500 for PGD testing through Natera.
He recommended a single embryo transfer because a singleton is lower risk to carry to term.
Colchester
Dr. Cassini is A very good listener. He offers very individualized care. He is very patient. He was always on time to get me.... I had been misdiagnosed by a previous doctor with endometriosis. He decided to re-test with a more modern test. This was completely pain free and I found out I didn’t have endometriosis which was a relief. He has prescribed me letrazole. He tested hormone levels for my PCOS. He has let me know all available options.
Dr. Cassini is A very good listener. He offers very individualized care. He is very patient. He was always on time to get me. One time when he ran a little late, he gave me free ferry passes to get home. He is caring.
Be open to suggestions and re testing
Very individualized, did not pressure me at all, wanted my opinions
Very friendly and always call me back very fast
Describe your experience with Northeastern Reproductive Medicine.
Gorgeous office, free samples, straight forward self pay rates, all friendly staff, always on time to get the patients, always call back within an hour when I leave a message on cycle day one. Overall great care.
So far, I have only tried medication. My insurance pays for the office visits. I did get a cost list of orocedures.
Colchester
He was professional, funny, kind but realistic, and explained everything thoroughly. I never felt rushed or like a nuisance with questions even though I know they’re office is extremely busy and appointments are time sensitive. He also worked with us on the payment plan, knowing financially this was a major challenge for us..... Dr. Casson remembered us, details about prior appointments and personal information shared, and treated us with deep care and concern and also appropriate humor and professionalism.
Request to work with him. He is amazing!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northeastern Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
Nicole was very knowledgeable and professional. The only thing I wasn’t 100% satisfied with was her injection training, but at the end when I said I felt like I needed a little more support she was completely willing to schedule another session.
Describe your experience with Northeastern Reproductive Medicine.
It is fantastic and I have no reservation in recommending them. They have found the perfect balance of knowledge and professionalism with kindness and compassion. Everyone on the team was fantastic but I highly recommend Dr. Casson and my favorite nurse was Monique.
I think it was about 12,000 in total for 4 cycles IUI, one fresh IVF cycle, and a second transfer with frozen embryos.
He was very clear that he recommended only one embryo based in our ages, good quality embryo, etc. After cycle one failed we told him we wanted to transfer two. He still educated us about all the risks, but respected our decision.
Colchester
You may find people who will rave about this practice. However, in my opinion, their move to the private world (from academic) was not a positive one. With DOR, I was not offered IVF. After consulting with others, I am convinced that they did not want me to "taint" their numbers as they were starting their practice. Some of their nurses and staff were quite nice, while others were rude and completely insensitive. I could not recommend this practice to a friend or loved one.
Some of the nurses were quite nice, others were rude and completely insensitive.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
4 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
Dr Casson and the team at Northeastern Reproductive Medicine were all wonderful. from the ease of making appointments, to the friendliness of the entire staff, it made our difficult journey a bit easier. We worked with Dr. Casson for over a year and went through many different protocols and procedures to achieve our goal. We are currently pregnant with twins and owe so much credit to the encouragement and hope from Dr Casson.
Monique and Nicole
What specific things went wrong at Northeastern Reproductive Medicine?