Medical SchoolGeorgetown
4770 S I-10 Service Rd W
Metairie, LA 70001
3525 Prytania St
New Orleans, LA 70115
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Peter Lu to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Institute of New Orleans to a friend?
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
He [Dr. Peter Lu] has to rely on his notes when he saw you...Have your questions with you before you go. He will answer any questions you have, but you have to ask them. He likes to talk, and it cam cause him to get behind. He has a steady hand, and it gentle when doing a procedure. Although he can seem rushed if there is something on his mind...Clomid, 3 months, 1 pos pregnancy, miscarried, 1 month metronome, chemical pregnancy, 1st round of IVF, 2 eggs retrieved, both fertilized, fresh transfer and frozen. 1 neg, 1 chemical. 2nd IVF round, 6 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized, 3 made if to freeze, 1 neg, 1 pos, ended in miscarriage, about to transfer embryo 3.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He has to rely on his notes when he saw you. He shudders, but he is ok to understand. Have your questions with you before you go. He will answer any questions you have, but you have to ask them. He likes to talk, and it cam cause him to get behind. He has a steady hand, and it gentle when doing a procedure. Although he can seem rushed if there is something on his mind.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Have questions written down before you go. He's happy to answer them, but you have to be prepared to ask them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
During medicated cycles, you were treated like a number. Which I complained about. Suddenly it got better. Doing IVF, you were a human they were very interested in.
Describe the protocols Peter Lu used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
They are nice, and willing to talk to you. One of them smokes too much, and comes in the room smelling of smoke. Also, she is a little blunt. They are caring, and called to check on me when I miscarried. They always call back very quickly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths-they are knowledgeable and have many years of experience. They are a little conservative when it comes to treatments, which is for the patient's health, but it can be annoying. Weaknesses-they need to be upfront with costs before you start treatment. Nurses need to not smoke or spray with something before coming in the rooms.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
$800 per Clomid cycle $200 for post cloitle exam $12,000 for first IVF cycle $7,000 for 2nd IVF cycle
Describe Peter Lu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I had to do single transfer because of my uteral deformity.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Lu was VERY thorough and straight forward. He explained my risk of having multiples, as my body responded almost too well to my shots. He adjusted the dosage to lower my risk while still ensuring a successful pregnancy...I didn’t always see him for my appointments as he was between clinics, but it wasn’t really necessary to see him every time. He always reviewed my ultrasounds and blood work and the nurse called after every appointment.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu was VERY thorough and straight forward. He explained my risk of having multiples, as my body responded almost too well to my shots. He adjusted the dosage to lower my risk while still ensuring a successful pregnancy. It’s so important to have a responsible doctor that has the experience to adjust and lower the risk of multiples. We underwent IUI in March 2017 and have beautiful, healthy boy/girl twins that arrived at the end of October. I’d recommend him to anyone!
Ask questions if you don’t understand and he always answers thoroughly.
He was very thorough and took a lot of time to explain the treatment. I didn’t always see him for my appointments as he was between clinics, but it wasn’t really necessary to see him every time. He always reviewed my ultrasounds and blood work and the nurse called after every appointment.
I had level 1-2 endometriosis that caused me a lot of pain and pregnancy is one of the few treatments for it. I was 23 and my husband was 24 and our blood levels were so good that it was confusing to him why I hadn’t gotten pregnant easily after trying for 6 months. We had a miscarriage in December after getting pregnant naturally and started treatment in March. He decided to use injections for the type of endometriosis I had, as he said with his experience injections worked better for this type. I used 75IU of follistim for about a week and then used 10,000 IU of pregnyl for a trigger. We did IUI the day after trigger. This resulted in a fraternal twin pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
All of the nurses were kind and helpful during the treatment. The ultrasound techs were especially kind and gentle, as once my ovaries got so big ultrasounds were very uncomfortable.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
They do a really good job getting you in and out in a timely manner, which is especially important when you have a full time job. Everyone is friendly and will try to help the best they can. Often the nurse isn’t available to talk when you call but will always call you back that day.
We spent about $3,200 for one round of injectable IUI. My insurance didn’t cover a lot of the ultrasounds so almost everything was out of pocket.
Metairie
He [Dr. Peter Lu] was the first doctor to agree with me that something is very wrong just based on having tried for 4 years before going to him and my husband's varicocele having been corrected but still not conceiving. He validated my concerns and communicated with numbers, which is how I understand and process situations...Because Clomid thinned by lining worse than its usual level, and letrozole didn't give me much response, Dr Lu put me on injections. He decided I didn't need an IUI since our post coital tests kept coming back postitive. The injections were able to achieve desirable lining thickness and ample follicles. There was still only a 20% success rate for us at best and we did 2 rounds without a bfp. I am completely impressed by his protocol on our IVF. I was so scared as he lowered my meds doses so much but at the end, he manipulated everything PERFECTLY. I was risking and nearly OHSS and he gave me letrozole and cabergoline to prevent full ohss and so I know we maximized the potential for eggs retrieved while keeping me safe. He did an excellent job of changing my doses every day. Transfer was perfect as well.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Lu has been rated the best fertility doctor in the region, and I can see how. His strength is assessing a situation and making a treatment plan. He has done a great job of telling us what to expect for each round of treatment and the stats of likely success. I would definitely recommend him.
With infertility in general, Do your own research and always be your own advocate. He is flexible to change your plan if you want to be more aggressive. Come to the appointment with your questions prepared.
He was the first doctor to agree with me that something is very wrong just based on having tried for 4 years before going to him and my husband's varicocele having been corrected but still not conceiving. He validated my concerns and communicated with numbers, which is how I understand and process situations.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Wendi and Lisa)
I only had issues with one nurse (not named). All other nurses were compassionate, informed, honest, helpful, empathetic, and genuine.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The front desk staff is incredible. They are very personable and even coordinate a monthly support group meeting on their own dime. They offer refreshments and rally a medical professional to discuss their field of expertise. The Mandeville location is never crowded(never felt like a cattle service, like other clinics and ob/gyn offices feel like).
Clomid and letrozole rounds may have been around 300-400. Injection rounds had a flat rate (for all bloodwork and ultrasounds and appointments up to ovulation) of 1250 each. There were med costs from the pharmacy on top of that and if I had needed the iui, it would have been another 500. We spend just under 2000 each injection cycle (follistim, menopur). IVF single/simple round is $12000 for fresh or frozen transfer.
In August 2017, the SART board regulated in our region that you may only transfer one embryo (or be sanctioned), unless female is 38+yrs old or has had 2 previous failed transfers, no other exceptions. I was sad to only transfer one but it wasn't really up to Dr Lu. All the fertility clinics in Louisiana have to adhere to the new regulations. He was clear about the risks of transferring more than one, though.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu's strengths include taking a thorough approach to understanding his patients' history and goals for seeking fertility treatment. He is a candid communicator and is able to answer our questions from both a statistical and a compassionate mindset. I have felt confident in every step of our treatment because Dr. Lu truly understands our specific concerns and keeps those at the forefront of every recommendation. I have also appreciated his straightforward approach to communicating next steps and results, while still leaving room for compassion and understanding. An example of this is when he called with the Diminished Ovarian Reserve results. I was 29 at the time and this was a result we sincerely did not consider possible. Dr. Lu re-explained the testing process, the diagnosis, and his recommended treatment comprehensively, but stopped to say "I hear that you're upset, and I want you to know that it's okay. Now is the time to be upset." This was incredibly affirming of my experience as a patient. He was gentle in pushing us forward in our treatment to not waste time while also being incredibly understanding.
Dr. Lu is a straightforward communicator and an incredibly good listener but you should be prepared to ask questions and be clear about your concerns and goals! He answers all of our questions in full and has continued to keep our goals in mind. I would imagine that if you don't have those things ready and would like more of a coaching approach, you may not feel fulfilled in the relationship.
From the first appointment with Dr. Lu, I felt that he was deeply invested in my individual fertility journey. He was candid about the different infertility realities couples face and outlined his reasoning behind every single test he first administered. He has continued to be patient, thorough, and transparent throughout the ups and downs of our treatment. He has listened to what our major concerns are and has helped us to make the most informed decisions possible that are the best for our family.
My husband and I tried to conceive naturally for 10 months before I made an appointment with my gynecologist, Dr. Sacha Wax. Due to my history of endometriosis, she moved forward with treatment and prescribed the first round of Clomid (50 mg/day), suspecting that I wasn’t successfully ovulating. My reaction to Clomid was not ideal but not uncommon. I developed a large cyst and went on birth control to diminish its size. Due to my history, reaction, and low progesterone, Dr. Wax recommended that I see a fertility specialist, and I made an appointment with Dr. Lu. The first few appointments with Dr. Lu were likely what every couple experiences on this journey. Bloodwork, ultrasounds, more bloodwork. From the initial imaging, Dr. Lu suspected an ovulation timing issue. We tried the HCG shot to trigger ovulation when one of my follicles was just on the cusp of the right size and my lining looked great. More bloodwork and progesterone supplements followed, as well as another sizeable cyst that ruptured and resulted in a trip to the emergency room. In the follow up conversation with Dr. Lu, he said that my bloodwork revealed my AMH results were extremely and surprisingly low for my age (29). I had an AMH of 0.677, when he expected it to be closer to 8, which meant my ovarian reserve was very low. The next step Dr. Lu recommended was another round of Clomid (100 mg/day), not to try for a successful pregnancy but instead to determine my FSH level to identify the quality of the eggs left in my limited reserve. The Clomid caused my FSH levels to almost double (from 6.8 to 11) which confirmed that both the quantity and quality of my ovarian reserve are extremely low. From there, Dr. Lu recommended that we try one-two months of Follistim injections (October 2016) in the hopes that this course of treatment would be successful instead of IVF. We tried one month of Follistim (150 mg/day) and I developed only one viable follicle on my left ovary, with two much smaller on my right. The treatment was unsuccessful and, on November 1, 2016, Dr. Lu shared that we were now at the point where IVF was the only course of treatment he could recommend due to my poor response to Follistim.
The nursing staff at The Fertility Institute is inconsistent. Some of Dr. Lu's nurses are absolutely wonderful. They respond to requests in a timely manner and when I was starting at-home injections, gave me their cell phone number just in case I forgot how to properly mix something during off-hours. This is my primary nurse with Dr. Lu. The other nurses who have supported me at random points don't feel as invested or knowledgeable of my course of treatment.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is extremely well organized! You can expect the same routine each time you go and the staff is efficient and mindful of your time. They are also flexible with scheduling appointments and have a very thorough financing department.
In total (including medications, imaging, bloodwork, special testing, and office visit fees) we have spent over $6,000 on our fertility treatment thus far. Louisiana Insurance companies are not required to cover infertility treatment so none of our visits with Dr. Lu are covered.
We have not gotten to this point in our treatment yet.
PCOS, None, Unexplained
I felt he [Dr. Peter Lu] took the time to explain things and the process in which we took. I didn't feel like a number...He was easy to talk to and gave me expected outcomes. He did "damage control" from the other doctor I saw at another clinic. I felt like he had my interest at heart and not simply taking my money. I had to meet with him weekly due to a cyst that developed after my first IUI...
PCOS, None, Unexplained
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He was easy to talk to and gave me expected outcomes. He did "damage control" from the other doctor I saw at another clinic. I felt like he had my interest at heart and not simply taking my money. I had to meet with him weekly due to a cyst that developed after my first IUI. He took his time to explain to me and my wife how he could help us in the process. Unfortunately, the IUI didn't turn into a pregnancy so we will be doing a follow up appointment to see what our next step will be.
When you first meet him, put all your cards on the table with expectations and concerns with the process.
I felt he took the time to explain things and the process in which we took. I didn't feel like a number.
When I started the process with him in December 2017, it was discovered I had a cyst, in which birth control was prescribed to make it smaller. This process last until the end of February. I was put on Letozole 7.5mg for 5 days , wait for 5 days to do ultrasounds to check follicle size and I took Pregnyl on March 2 and I was inseminated on March 3
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Charlene)
The nurses are knowledgeable about the process.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The parking for the clinic is horrible. You will have a difficult time trying to find somewhere to park. The staff is quick with check ins and taking labs. The privacy aspect is not completely private, you can guess what others are there for during the visit.
$1385 for IUI and labs $270 for co payments for the treatment of cyst $150 in medication
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr. Lu is very knowledgeable. He is down to earth and talks to you like you are a friend not a patient. He stutters but is not hard to follow what he is saying. It’s more like his mouth can’t keep up with what his brain wants to say. He talks to both partners and explains in detail what treatment he recommends. He takes his time with talking to you and will answer any questions.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Take notes on what he says. He can cover so much information that it’s hard to remember it all sometimes.
Staff is very pleasant and personable. They seem to be excited for us when we were able to start treatment.
We went to Dr. Lu interested in his donor embryo program. He was very happy for us to adopt embryos and work with us. After we ran bloodwork to be matched with donors, we did an shg and then began a fet cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Wendy (nurse) then Lisa (ivf nurse))
Dr Lu’s nurse Wendy and the ivf nurse, Lisa, are very easy to talk to. They encourage you to call them with any questions. They make sure you understand what you need to do and what’s next.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
This clinic has a couple locations. I went to the Mandeville location. It’s a small office so when they get busy there’s not a lot of room in the waiting area. Everyone seems happy to be there and happy to see you. They make you feel like they really want you to be successful.
I had to pay for initial consult & testing & then fet cost.
Dr. Lu was very adamant that he would only transfer 1 embryo at a time. He explained that the risks of a multiple pregnancy was much higher than a singleton pregnancy.
Mandeville
Educate yourself on procedures, medications, etc. Research. Dr. Lu is a total pro but sometimes he speaks quickly so it helps if you have a little understanding and can keep up...very knowledgeable and sweet. However, I never felt like he remembered me or previous conversations he’d had with me. I think he, perhaps, juggled too many patients...Sometimes I felt as if he didn’t remember me or my husband and I’s specific issues and concerns from visit to visit.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is hugely knowledgeable and sweet. My only issue is that I feel he may have had too many patients to really retain an understanding of each patient. Sometimes I felt as if he didn’t remember me or my husband and I’s specific issues and concerns from visit to visit. Thank goodness for charts and record keeping! Overall he is an awesome doctor and we wouldn’t have our beautiful baby girl without him.
Dr. Lu is very knowledgeable and sweet. However, I never felt like he remembered me or previous conversations he’d had with me. I think he, perhaps, juggled too many patients.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Typically short wait times, which is great for working people. Hate that procedures and Saturday appointments have to be done in the New Orleans office. Once you find out you are pregnant (which should be a joyous time) they hit you with an office fee that is very expensive!! Especially considering it doesn’t include blood work and ultrasounds ordered. It’s literally just for the visit - didn’t even see the doctor on these visits!
We bought a package that allowed us 2 attempts. It was somewhere around 10 thousand. This does not include medications, which are also very costly.
Having two babies at once is hard! Both the pregnancy and afterwards with twins (or more!). It’s safer to hope for a healthy Singleton.
Mandeville
Right from our first meeting I felt that Dr. Lu cared. He did not immediately push ivf on us, which we assumed would happen. With each question or concern Dr. Lu has taken time to explain things to us. He is always very specific and chooses his words carefully. Dr. Lu is very professional and he's also very personable. We've been very satisfied with our choice of Dr. Lu as our dr so far.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu can sometimes talk a little fast and he likes numbers and statistics, so pay close attention!
Dr. Lu took time to explain things to us. His bedside manner was warm and welcoming. He went as far as calling us on his own time to answer questions, give clarification and address concerns we had.
I can't really describe this, but it did seem as though with each monitoring appointment, Dr. Lu was great with analyzing the situation and adjusting as needed. He seemed very intuitive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Alleman)
Overall very helpful and caring.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths are the drs and nurses as well as the facility itself. Our Dr. is great, the nurses and techs are all nice and helpful. Unfortunately we have had issues with the billing department, but those have been resolved. Overall we are very pleased and glad we chose this clinic.
Our ivf with icsi was about $15.
Dr. Lu follows their clinic policy which goes along with the state recs of putting back one embryo under a certain age and two if over. If younger he will do two after failed cycles.
Metairie
He [Dr. Lu] was very involved in my care. I always felt like I was his only patient...He is very knowledgeable and real with his patients. He tells you exactly what you need to hear, like it or not. We did two cycles with my OB before starting at the FC, and luckily our first round there worked!!...150mg Clomid, Estradiol twice a day and progesterone. Once pregnancy was confirmed, continued progesterone until 2nd trimester.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Don’t wait. If you’re struggling or even think there may be an issue, go see him.
He was very involved in my care. I always felt like I was his only patient.
The nurses are top notch. I had seen just about every one of them in my short time there, and they were all incredible. Very knowledgeable and extremely companionate.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
There wasn’t one thing I thought could be different in the Mandeville location. It’s very clean and inviting. The diffuser was always on when you walk in, so you feel a sense of calm. My husband and I were always pleased going there.
The cycle was a lump sum that included monitoring. Other testing and all medications are separate.
Mandeville
Dr. Lu makes you feel like he really matters to you, he is never in hurry, and always seems willing to explain things and make sure you understand and are comfortable before going forward....Dr. Lu is very knowledgeable and thorough in his visits with you. I never felt like he was rushed, and always felt like he truly cared. Dr. Lu himself will personally call you with some results and to check on you at home...All staff is friendly and competent in their role.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Make a list of questions you have for him before your visits. Take notes while at the appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary )
Mary was excellent, very caring, compassionate, and understanding. She is always organized and timely.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Clinic is very nice, with little to no wait times on the day of your scheduled appointment. All staff is friendly and competent in their role.
3 egg retrievals, 1 fresh transfer, 2 frozen transfers and all meds, labs, and US were $60,000
Metairie
He [Dr. Peter Lu] is research driven & positive. He is not a firm believer in alternative therapies, sich as herbs & supplements, but he's also not against trying them. He seemed to understand our desire for having another child & seemed hopeful but also realistic that there's no exact science for treating infertility. His bedside manner is efficient and knowledgeable, backed up by statistics and information, but he did not appear well-versed or particularly supportive of additional alternative resources (accupuncture, diet, growth hormone, etc.) to utilize in addition to the typical injection protocol.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He is research driven & positive. He is not a firm believer in alternative therapies, sich as herbs & supplements, but he's also not against trying them. He seemed to understand our desire for having another child & seemed hopeful but also realistic that there's no exact science for treating infertility. His bedside manner is efficient and knowledgeable, backed up by statistics and information, but he did not appear well-versed or particularly supportive of additional alternative resources (accupuncture, diet, growth hormone, etc.) to utilize in addition to the typical injection protocol.
Ask him for information about why he does not subscribe to alternative supplemental therapies to enhance fertility treatments.
He seemed very research driven, but he also articulated & echoed our reasons for wanting another child after havibg had one easily & naturally earlier.
Expensive!
New Orleans
Dr. Lu is a good doctor. He explains things scientifically and I felt like he did want us to conceive. It is important to ask question along the process to make sense of a lot of complicated information. He will answer your questions and make sure you understand the course of action and next steps....The strategy for me was injection medications. I was not receptive to Clomid....I was always able to make an appointment at my time period of preference.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
The strategy for me was injection medications. I was not receptive to Clomid.
The were caring and thorough, but at times I felt had a lot of patients and things felt rushed.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Very easy to schedule appointments, but the parking lot filled up fast. I was always able to make an appointment at my time period of preference. The staff was friendly and quick. I never waited very long in the waiting room before I was seen.
around 15,000
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr Lu has a great bed side manner very supportive and compassionate. He makes sure you understand what you are getting into and all the steps along the way. A very kind and thoughtful man...He took time and care to answer all our questions and encouraged us...Tell him everything...
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Tell him everything
He took time and care to answer all our questions and encouraged us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Very efficient and on top of things. You are seen quickly and taken good care of