Available by cell phone
4770 S I-10 Service Rd W
Metairie, LA 70001
3525 Prytania St
New Orleans, LA 70115
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Peter Lu to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Institute of New Orleans to a friend?
IUI, 3 IVF
[Dr. Peter Lu] strongly believes in the eSET method based on his previous experience...performed a full work up of me before recommending this option and believes that my uterus is not capable for having twins or multiples...is compassionate but also is a man of science and probabilities, which I appreciate. He gives you the reality but also understands the situation you are in...For the transfer cycle, I had to cancel right before the first date bc my lining wasn't the number he wanted. It was close but not close enough, so we had to postpone and try again with a new estrogen protocol.
Strengths [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans]: experienced, record of success, compassionate, logical approach. Excellent support staff, including ultrasound techs and the blood draw liason from the lab. Everything is in house. Weaknesses: Can't think of any except maybe the front desk staff could be more on the ball, but they are very nice. Sometimes they assume you know things you do not especially if you are a new patient... The Metairie campus is also very conveniently located.
IUI, 3 IVF
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is very smart and when you first met him, this is all you can think of and wonder if he could be compassionate with you. The answer is ultimately yes, and you realize that his intelligence is all that matters. I appreciated his candor and logical approach to fertility. I do not want someone to treat me just because I want it. I want someone to treat me because they know they can. This is how you feel when under Dr. Lu's care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Do not be put off by his statistical and logical approach when you first met him. It will overwhelm you at first, but you quickly realize that his understanding of how this works is what you can rely on. I trust that he knows best about my capability to conceive.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is compassionate but also is a man of science and probabilities, which I appreciate. He gives you the reality but also understands the situation you are in. He does not take advantage of your emotions and would not recommend treatment he did not believe in. In this way he treats you like a person or family member he cares about and not just a statistic.
Describe the protocols Peter Lu used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of New Orleans and their degree of success.
Strategy for me was to have one embryo for transfer. The first cycle was successful. Egg simulation was increased towards the end of the phase, which kicked into gear my ovaries. For the transfer cycle, I had to cancel right before the first date bc my lining wasn't the number he wanted. It was close but not close enough, so we had to postpone and try again with a new estrogen protocol. I went through the transfer with no issues but lost the gamble. Getting pregnant is a gamble each time with your odds increasing each time. The second stim cycle wasn't changed much except that he increased my meds early as a result of what happened the first time. I did not respond much the second time and had no embryos. I did grow an endometrioma on my right ovary and needed surgery. We regrouped after and went with a new protocol that included lupron, or the lupron flare, for my third simulation. The goal was quality eggs. I ended up with one embryo, but it was genetically abnormal. After this news, Dr. Lu consulted with us and recommended that my AMH be tested again to see if we had some time to take a break and make a decision later as he understood the economical and emotional hardship we were going through. He says that no one else would treat me with the results I have had, but being had I the one genetically normal embryo, he believes I am still capable and told me that if I were his family member, he would encourage me to continue. He wasn't trying to get me to do it again because of the money. Instead he presented us with the option to wait depending on the AMH test and presented less financially burdening options. We are currently resting from the treatments and are confident that we will get pregnant. Dr Lu brought up egg donor options but believes I have time to try with my own before going to that step. So that's what where we are right now. Resting and planning to continue with my own eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary McGregor )
My primary nurse was great. I felt like I could ask her questions and speak to her about things that felt really personal without any judgement. My two nurses both have experience with ivf, so they could also be compassionate. The were very patient when reviewing information and answering my questions. Overall, I love the staff and wouldn't want anyone else to depend on.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths: experienced, record of success, compassionate, logical approach. Excellent support staff, including ultrasound techs and the blood draw liason from the lab. Everything is in house. Weaknesses: Can't think of any except maybe the front desk staff could be more on the ball, but they are very nice. Sometimes they assume you know things you do not especially if you are a new patient. The Metairie campus is also very conveniently located.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I only know that the generic testing was around $5k. Also it cost more for ICSE. Total with medicines, we have spent /loaned ~$60k for the treatments we completed in the last year.
Describe Peter Lu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Dr. Lu performed a full work up of me before recommending this option and believes that my uterus is not capable for having twins or multiples. He also strongly believes in the eSET method based on his previous experience. I trust his knowledge.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.

2017 - 2019
He [Dr. Lu] is willing to go out of his way to consult with me when I need him. ... He is very numbers oriented. He shows empathy, but not compassion. Sometimes I leave appointments with more questions than I came in with. ... Sometimes I think I only get information because I ask for it, not because he offers it to me. ... I can see him any time I need to, but I often feel like the nurses are managing my day to day care.
I hate that I have to call, leave a message and then wait for a call back. ... They Fertility Institute of NO] are very quick though. Not much waiting in the lobby. ... The clinic doesnt transfer two embryos in patients younger than 38 ... They once called in 4 ganarellix for me and the pharmacy sent and made me pay for 4 ganarellix. I’ve never used 4 ganarellix even in the past year and a half. ... love Mary [nurse], she’s my favorite. She knows my chart, she calls me back as soon as she can. I trust her. She talks to me like a person and not a patient.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He is willing to go out of his way to consult with me when I need him. I trust his plan, but this whole process is tedious. He is very numbers oriented. He shows empathy, but not compassion. Sometimes I leave appointments with more questions than I came in with. i often did not know which questions to ask because I was so naive about the whole process. Sometimes I think I only get information because I ask for it, not because he offers it to me.
He is numbers oriented and more straight to the facts. There’s not a lot of hand holding.
There are a lot of patients at this clinic. I can see him any time I need to, but I often feel like the nurses are managing my day to day care.
IUI with follistim - negative IUI with follistim - negative IUI with follistim - negative IVf with follistim and menopur - egg retrieval- 4eggs, 3 blastocyst, 1 pgs normal Transfer prep w estrogen - cancelled, thin lining Transfer prep w low dose estrogen - cancelled, thin lining Transfer prep w tamoxifen - cancelled, thin lining Transfer prep w Natural cycle - cancelled, thin lining Transfer prep w low dose follistim - 7.4 lining, negative pregnancy test
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
I love Mary, she’s my favorite. She knows my chart, she calls me back as soon as she can. I trust her. She talks to me like a person and not a patient.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I HATE that I can’t email them and that they do not have online charting. I would like to see my records in real time. I hate that I have to call, leave a message and then wait for a call back. They are very quick though. Not much waiting in the lobby.
I pay over $100 every time I go (sometimes up to 5x/week) on top of an large upfront cost of IVF
I only had one good egg to use, but I would have transferred two if I could. The clinic doesnt transfer two embryos in patients younger than 38

Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Lu started our first cycle with monitored clomid and then made decisions on further treatment from there. ... I love that he is passionate about his work and truly does the right thing for my specific problems. ... Currently scheduled for surgery to removed uterine fibroids/ polyps and will regroup. ... Dr. Lu is very compassionate and personable. He really listens to me and takes time out of his day to answer my questions. I am very happy with his “bedside manner”.
The Metairie office [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] is nice and easy to find. ... I do not remember all of the exact totals but the office will provide you with a complete list of expected fees before procedures. ... The female phlebotomist is a little rough but it is what it is. When I first called I was told I could go between the Metairie office and Mandeville office but later found out that you need to stay where you start so be aware of that. Everyone I have encountered has been very nice and knowledgeable.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is very kind and caring. He makes you feel like you are his only patient. He takes time to answer my questions and really explains things in a way I can understand. I love that he is passionate about his work and truly does the right thing for my specific problems.
When visiting Dr. Lu have questions ready and make sure you are fully aware of the next steps for your procedure.
Dr. Lu started our first cycle with monitored clomid and then made decisions on further treatment from there. Through and ultrasound, they discovered I had polyps and recommended removal before proceeding. The treatment is subject to change with your situation. Currently scheduled for surgery to removed uterine fibroids/ polyps and will regroup.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Cherie and Kim are a great team. I have a lot of questions and they have been very patient and compassionate with my situation.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The Metairie office is nice and easy to find. The female phlebotomist is a little rough but it is what it is. When I first called I was told I could go between the Metairie office and Mandeville office but later found out that you need to stay where you start so be aware of that. Everyone I have encountered has been very nice and knowledgeable.

Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr. Lu is very professional and knowledgeable of the profession and process. I felt safe and confident with him. I just wished he was a little more sympathetic or emotional with the patient. ... And although it costs more, he recommends ICSI as it has higher chances of embryos. ... He knew the right about of meds I should take so I wouldn't overstimulate. he knew how to monitor to the right thickness of the uterine lining.
I do not like that the clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] refuses to transfer more than one embryo if you are under the age of 38. NOT FAIR ... Weaknesses - can be difficult to reach as you have to leave a message and wait for a callback, billing people are all about getting the money (even if you just miscarried), lack of compassion ... Strengths - organized, efficient, quick appts (most of the time)
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is very professional and knowledgeable of the profession and process. I felt safe and confident with him. I just wished he was a little more sympathetic or emotional with the patient. Aside from that, he's a great doctor.
Be completely devoted and ready to give it your all. Dr. Lu is like a perfectionist and his treatment feels a little aggressive but I have conceived a baby on my first IVF. He's good.
All my doctor talks about is statistics and numbers. At first, it got me excited that he's so good but when things started getting emotional or if we came across a rough patch, our doctor didn't offer much sympathy. And if he did, it didn't seem genuine. But he is good at what he does.
He knew the right about of meds I should take so I wouldn't overstimulate. he knew how to monitor to the right thickness of the uterine lining. And although it costs more, he recommends ICSI as it has higher chances of embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Mary)
I love the ultrasound techs at the office. Always made me feel comfortable. My IVF nurse is a little difficult to get in contact with but when we do speak, she's easy to talk to.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths - organized, efficient, quick appts (most of the time), Dr. Lu's knowledge and professionalism Weaknesses - can be difficult to reach as you have to leave a message and wait for a callback, billing people are all about getting the money (even if you just miscarried), lack of compassion
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic allowed me to select the time that worked best for me but the problem was the number of appts and how it conflicted with work. Most of the time the appts were in and out but if I had to see the nurse after an ultrasound, the wait and appt was longer.
$13500 for IVF $1950 for ICSI $770 for embryo storage plus cost of consultation, blood test, semen analysis and other initial appts before the IVF process began
I think it should be the patients choice to transfer a single embryo vs. multiple as we are paying for it and going through so much. I do not like that the clinic refuses to transfer more than one embryo if you are under the age of 38. NOT FAIR

2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
He [Dr. Peter Lu] has to rely on his notes when he saw you...Have your questions with you before you go. He will answer any questions you have, but you have to ask them. He likes to talk, and it cam cause him to get behind. He has a steady hand, and it gentle when doing a procedure. Although he can seem rushed if there is something on his mind...Clomid, 3 months, 1 pos pregnancy, miscarried, 1 month metronome, chemical pregnancy, 1st round of IVF, 2 eggs retrieved, both fertilized, fresh transfer and frozen. 1 neg, 1 chemical. 2nd IVF round, 6 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized, 3 made if to freeze, 1 neg, 1 pos, ended in miscarriage, about to transfer embryo 3.
During my first IVF cycle [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans], I was ordered to take a drug once. They didn't tell me how to take it or what time. I ended up calling the Dr on call to find out. During my 2nd IVF, they changed protocol on checking the embryos. I waited to find out how they were doing and never got a call back. I didn't find out until 2 days later that they had changed this protocol. But I was told then and it made sense. I just wish they had told me before.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He has to rely on his notes when he saw you. He shudders, but he is ok to understand. Have your questions with you before you go. He will answer any questions you have, but you have to ask them. He likes to talk, and it cam cause him to get behind. He has a steady hand, and it gentle when doing a procedure. Although he can seem rushed if there is something on his mind.
Have questions written down before you go. He's happy to answer them, but you have to be prepared to ask them.
During medicated cycles, you were treated like a number. Which I complained about. Suddenly it got better. Doing IVF, you were a human they were very interested in.
They are nice, and willing to talk to you. One of them smokes too much, and comes in the room smelling of smoke. Also, she is a little blunt. They are caring, and called to check on me when I miscarried. They always call back very quickly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths-they are knowledgeable and have many years of experience. They are a little conservative when it comes to treatments, which is for the patient's health, but it can be annoying. Weaknesses-they need to be upfront with costs before you start treatment. Nurses need to not smoke or spray with something before coming in the rooms.
$800 per Clomid cycle $200 for post cloitle exam $12,000 for first IVF cycle $7,000 for 2nd IVF cycle
I had to do single transfer because of my uteral deformity.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Lu was compassionate and easy to talk to. He explained every step of the process and helped me feel like I knew about everything that was going on and everything that I could expect. When I was at risk for OHSS, he did everything he could to prevent it. That included medication after egg retrieval and letting me know what warning signs to look for. I did not end up with OHSS.... My doctor prefers to transfer 1 embryo at a time. I’m happy with this because having multiples puts the babies and mother at a higher risk of complications.
The clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] has multiple locations and it was a huge help because my main clinic was 2 hours from my home. I was able to do most of my ultrasound and bloodwork at one of the clinics closer to my home. They were very accommodating.... I had two main IVF nurses and both were very compassionate and well organized. I felt comfortable calling them with any questions I had during my IVF process.... I had lots of anxiety and occasionally panic attacks and they were very compassionate. Dr. Lu was also very compassionate.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He will give you a good description of what treatment you choose but have your questions ready as well. He will answer any and all questions you have.
The nurses were great and helped me throughout my egg retrieval. I had lots of anxiety and occasionally panic attacks and they were very compassionate. Dr. Lu was also very compassionate.
My protocol for IVF was Follistim, Menopur and Ganirelix. After the first 4 days of stims, I went in for my first ultrasound and blood work. My medication was adjusted according to those results. I went in for ultrasounds and blood work every day until egg retrieval. I stimmed for 10 days and pulled the trigger on day 11. My egg retrieval was on day 13 and we got 14 eggs, 11 were mature and 7 fertilized via ICSI. We ended up with 5 frozen embryos.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic has multiple locations and it was a huge help because my main clinic was 2 hours from my home. I was able to do most of my ultrasound and bloodwork at one of the clinics closer to my home. They were very accommodating.
We had to pay for ICSI and medication, the rest of our IVF treatment was covered by a grant that we won.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Lu is very smart. He seemed rushed every time we met with him. We were new to the world of fertility and were looking for answers to our many questions. Genetic testing was a huge part of why we needed help and he brushed it off and said we had to call the facility that handles that directly. He's very clinical, not one for warm and fuzzy.
When we had appointments here [Fertility Institute of NO], we always left with more questions than answers. With outside monitoring they did not send the same day results until the following day, after a number of calls. ... The clinic is conveniently located and offers Saturday appointments. I think the nursing staff and front office staff could be more friendly and supportive. ... They often don't answer the phone to schedule appointments, you have to leave a message. The phlebotomist never shared that I shouldn't drink coffee before a blood test - just water. They once took 7 vials of blood but didn't offer me juice or tell me that I'd be light headed the rest of the day. Overall just felt like the ball was dropped many times.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Have your questions written down and ask all of them. Press him for more information and explanations. My advice would be, if you are young and just need minimal treatments, FINO and Dr Lu will be a good fit. If you are over 38 and need extensive help, seek a second opinion.
FINO is a busy place, they see a lot of patients. Though a handful of nurses/techs were friendly, I often was turned off by their cold vibe. A little smile every now and then would go a long way.
We sought a second opinion before doing a cycle with Dr Lu. But have done outside monitoring at FINO.
One nurse, over the phone, told me that the genetic disorder I was a carrier of was "the scary one." I think I was speechless. Thank goodness I then did my own research and learned that was not necessarily the case. I found the nurses cold and aloof.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic is conveniently located and offers Saturday appointments. I think the nursing staff and front office staff could be more friendly and supportive. The lady that checks you out was always the nicest one. I've had some issues with outside monitoring - they never sent same day results. You have to stay on top of everything and be your own advocate!
Outside monitoring is about $250-275/appointment.
We didn't get a chance to discuss this topic.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Lu works between 2 clinics in the New Orleans area, so he is not always at the clinic at the time of my appointment. This was never a negative in my opinion! He is a very busy man, but if I ever felt the need to talk to him directly, his nurses would pass the message, and he would call me soon after. Dr Lu did perform all of my procedures, and was always available when needed.... He's very personable and realistic. He remains positive in outlook, which helped me to feel confident that things would work out for us, which they did. He is patient in his explanations, and setting expectations.
The nursing staff [at FINO] is very kind, compassionate and understanding. They are patient in explaining procedures and your plan of care. They are always available via phone as well. I always received follow up calls with in a few hours of my appointment to discuss my hormone levels, and the next steps/medication changes. To this day, I still keep in touch with some of the nurses!
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is highly qualified and experienced. He is very patient in explaining procedures and answering questions. He has a very understanding and warm bedside manner. We had 1 egg retrieval, 1 fresh embryo transfer, and 2 frozen embryo transfers. Currently, we have 1 more frozen embryo. Our fresh embryo transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Our first frozen transfer resulted in a positive pregnancy but miscarried very early (chemical pregnancy), and our 2nd frozen embryo transfer has resulted in the birth of our son! After our second transfer miscarried, we had a appointment with Dr Lu to discuss our plan moving forward. I went into the appointment very sad and frustrated. Since we are dealing with Male-Factor infertility, and I was under 30 years old at the time, we (meaning me, my husband, and Dr Lu) really thought that I would have gotten/stayed pregnant on the 1st or 2nd try. (side note- we did not do any PGD testing to know if our embryos were genetically normal/abnormal). Embryos were transferred in the order of highest rating to lowest rating. At our appointment, we discussed how he has had patients have perfect embryos that just don't work out, and then end up giving birth to their lowest rated embryo. His stories and examples helped me to feel more confident to move forward, thus resulting in our 3rd transfer and giving birth to our son. Dr Lu works between 2 clinics in the New Orleans area, so he is not always at the clinic at the time of my appointment. This was never a negative in my opinion! He is a very busy man, but if I ever felt the need to talk to him directly, his nurses would pass the message, and he would call me soon after. Dr Lu did perform all of my procedures, and was always available when needed.
Don't hesitate to make your appointment! He's great, and I highly suggest anyone to work with him.
The nursing staff at FINO is amazing! They truly care how you are feeling and take time explaining everything and answering questions. I still keep in contact with some of my nurses! I am looking forward to working with them again for my next embryo transfer. Dr Lu is also great! He's very personable and realistic. He remains positive in outlook, which helped me to feel confident that things would work out for us, which they did. He is patient in his explanations, and setting expectations.
I was under 30 years old at the time we started to seek treatment, never had any sort of problems of my own in regards to my cycle or reproductive system. We had tried several years to conceive on our own before starting to investigate why we weren't getting pregnant on our own. Come to find out, we are dealing with male-factor infertility. My husband's sperm count and quality are extremely low, giving us less than a 1% chance of conceiving on our own. Given all this information, Dr Lu explained why we should move straight to IVF. Because of my husbands sperm quality/quantity, clomid or IUI wouldn't raise our chances much at all. Shortly after our 1st consultation with Dr Lu, we decided to move forward. Once I started my next period, I called the office so we could start monitoring my uterus, ovaries, and blood levels. Once everything looked good, we order medications and started stimulation injections. I don't remember dosages, as they all changed day to day depending on my hormone levels. I know I was on Folistim and Menopur at the beginning, and then started hCG injections a few days before the egg retrieval. Once egg retrieval day arrived, we went in for the surgery. No complications. I started progesterone injections this same day, in anticipation that I would possibly do a fresh transfer. Retrieved 17 eggs, 12 of which were mature enough to fertilize. Dr Lu suggested that we uses ICSI to fertilize to make sure that each egg received a healthy sperm. Of the 12 eggs that received a sperm, 9 actually fertilized. Of those 9, 4 were healthy enough to make it to day 5/6 embryos. Because my hormone levels, uterus and ovaries were looking good, we decided that it was safe to do a fresh transfer 5 days after retrieval. This first transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test. On the very next cycle, we did a frozen embryo transfer. I know I had injections leading up to the transfer, but other than progesterone, I can't remember what it was. This cycle, we did get a positive pregnancy test, but miscarried a week later. The following cycle, we went for another frozen transfer, which resulted in full term pregnancy and live birth of my son. We currently have 1 frozen embryo left, and plan to transfer in the next year or so.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: I had 2: Mary and Ashley)
The nursing staff is very kind, compassionate and understanding. They are patient in explaining procedures and your plan of care. They are always available via phone as well. I always received follow up calls with in a few hours of my appointment to discuss my hormone levels, and the next steps/medication changes. To this day, I still keep in touch with some of the nurses!
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The hours are great! I was always able to make appointments early in the morning so I wouldn't miss work for routine labs/blood work. The reception staff is not always warm and welcoming, but hey... they just answer phones and sign people in. They aren't responsible for my care, so that didn't bother me. It may bother some people.
I was very lucky! My employer offered benefits that included fertility treatment up to $20,000, or 1 full round of IVF. Which, after my deductible, I only paid 10% of the overall charges. I would not be a good example of the associated costs, because I paid very little compared to the majority of patients.
Dr Lu suggested that we only transfer 1 embryo at a time. Since I have a healthy reproductive system, and was under the age of 30, it didn't make sense to try more than 1 at a time. He had actually mentioned that they were preforming multiple embryo transfers for women under the age of 35, as it only increased the risk of multiple miscarriages and pre-term birth/complications. The chances of getting pregnant were only 1% higher with multiple embryo transfers vs single transfers. Dr Lu went on to explain that if you transfer 2 embryos, and 1 is healthy and implants, and the other implants and isn't healthy or miscarries, it could cause the healthy one to miscarry too.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Lu was very nice and smiled a lot during my consultation. ... He kept giving me statistics that were confusing me and I was told I should quickly make a decision about starting treatment as I only had 2-5% chance of conceiving naturally. ... During the IUI he came in and explained things quickly, performed the procedure, and left the room. My husband and I were both upset when we left.
The front desk staff [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] seemed miserable to be at work and I always felt rushed. ... I was told after an appointment that I would be called by closing with results of lab work and the dosage of medications I should take over the next few days. I waited all day and was never called. I ended up having to call the after hours line who had to get me on the phone with someone because I had no idea how much medication to inject that night.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu was very nice and smiled a lot during my consultation. He was hard to understand and I felt like my questions weren't being completely answered. He kept giving me statistics that were confusing me and I was told I should quickly make a decision about starting treatment as I only had 2-5% chance of conceiving naturally. I only saw him at consultation and the day of my IUI. During the IUI he came in and explained things quickly, performed the procedure, and left the room. My husband and I were both upset when we left.
He is very difficult to understand when he speaks and he is very in to statistics
When I went in for my consultation I was very nervous. We had enough funds for 1 IUI at the time. Dr. Lu was very nice and smiled a lot, but I felt like my questions weren't answered thoroughly and he was hard to understand. I was basically told that with endometriosis I had a 2-5% chance of conceiving naturally and that I should quickly make the decision of starting treatment. I felt rushed and confused by the time I left and I still had unanswered questions. From the time I walked in the door it was up and down and up and down from the font desk all the way to the back. Even when I made the decision to go ahead with IUI and they brought me in the room to show me how to administer my injections, I felt like I was just told everything quickly so that they could move on with their day.
I had a baseline ultrasound and lab work. I was prescribed Gonal F 100 mIU every day for 5 days to produce follicles, but not too many as I ovulate on my own. I went for ultrasound on day 3 and 6 of the treatment cycle to see how I was responding. On days 5 and 6 I was told to add Ganirelix to my injections to keep from ovulating on my own. On day 7 I did my trigger shot. On day 8 I had my IUI. The cycle resulted in a negative pregnancy test
The nursing staff was very straight forward and moved quickly. I always saw different nurses, and they didn't always seem very happy to be at work. The day I was supposed to be shown how to do my injections, I was in the room all of 2 minutes. I left nervous because I really still wasn't sure of exactly what I was supposed to do in order to use the injections correctly. I ended up googling it and asking a friend who had gone through treatments. When I would call to speak to a nurse I would wait all day for a call back and then it would seem like my questions were bothering them
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I can't list many strengths. The clinic itself was nice and tidy. The front desk staff seemed miserable to be at work and I always felt rushed. Their means of labs and ultrasounds is tiring. Check in at front desk, sit down, get called to the back for ultrasound, back to the waiting room to sit down, called to the back again for blood work, back to the waiting room to sit down, called to the back again for a nurse to tell you what to do with medications for the few days and when to come back, finally check out. It was tiring and draining.
I believe cost of the bundle was $1275 which included office visits, ultrasounds, and blood work. Medication was not included in that cost. The IUI was $495. If it would have had to be done on a weekend then it would have costed $525.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Lu was VERY thorough and straight forward. He explained my risk of having multiples, as my body responded almost too well to my shots. He adjusted the dosage to lower my risk while still ensuring a successful pregnancy...I didn’t always see him for my appointments as he was between clinics, but it wasn’t really necessary to see him every time. He always reviewed my ultrasounds and blood work and the nurse called after every appointment.
They do a really good job getting you in and out in a timely manner, which is especially important when you have a full time job. Everyone is friendly and will try to help the best they can. Often the nurse isn’t available to talk when you call but will always call you back that day...All of the nurses were kind and helpful during the treatment. The ultrasound techs were especially kind and gentle, as once my ovaries got so big ultrasounds were very uncomfortable.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu was VERY thorough and straight forward. He explained my risk of having multiples, as my body responded almost too well to my shots. He adjusted the dosage to lower my risk while still ensuring a successful pregnancy. It’s so important to have a responsible doctor that has the experience to adjust and lower the risk of multiples. We underwent IUI in March 2017 and have beautiful, healthy boy/girl twins that arrived at the end of October. I’d recommend him to anyone!
Ask questions if you don’t understand and he always answers thoroughly.
He was very thorough and took a lot of time to explain the treatment. I didn’t always see him for my appointments as he was between clinics, but it wasn’t really necessary to see him every time. He always reviewed my ultrasounds and blood work and the nurse called after every appointment.
I had level 1-2 endometriosis that caused me a lot of pain and pregnancy is one of the few treatments for it. I was 23 and my husband was 24 and our blood levels were so good that it was confusing to him why I hadn’t gotten pregnant easily after trying for 6 months. We had a miscarriage in December after getting pregnant naturally and started treatment in March. He decided to use injections for the type of endometriosis I had, as he said with his experience injections worked better for this type. I used 75IU of follistim for about a week and then used 10,000 IU of pregnyl for a trigger. We did IUI the day after trigger. This resulted in a fraternal twin pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
We spent about $3,200 for one round of injectable IUI. My insurance didn’t cover a lot of the ultrasounds so almost everything was out of pocket.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Peter Lu] was the first doctor to agree with me that something is very wrong just based on having tried for 4 years before going to him and my husband's varicocele having been corrected but still not conceiving. He validated my concerns and communicated with numbers, which is how I understand and process situations...Because Clomid thinned by lining worse than its usual level, and letrozole didn't give me much response, Dr Lu put me on injections. He decided I didn't need an IUI since our post coital tests kept coming back postitive. The injections were able to achieve desirable lining thickness and ample follicles. There was still only a 20% success rate for us at best and we did 2 rounds without a bfp. I am completely impressed by his protocol on our IVF. I was so scared as he lowered my meds doses so much but at the end, he manipulated everything PERFECTLY. I was risking and nearly OHSS and he gave me letrozole and cabergoline to prevent full ohss and so I know we maximized the potential for eggs retrieved while keeping me safe. He did an excellent job of changing my doses every day. Transfer was perfect as well.
Injection rounds [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] had a flat rate (for all bloodwork and ultrasounds and appointments up to ovulation) of 1250 each. There were med costs from the pharmacy on top of that and if I had needed the iui, it would have been another 500. We spend just under 2000 each injection cycle (follistim, menopur). IVF single/simple round is $12000 for fresh or frozen transfer.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr Lu has been rated the best fertility doctor in the region, and I can see how. His strength is assessing a situation and making a treatment plan. He has done a great job of telling us what to expect for each round of treatment and the stats of likely success. I would definitely recommend him.
With infertility in general, Do your own research and always be your own advocate. He is flexible to change your plan if you want to be more aggressive. Come to the appointment with your questions prepared.
He was the first doctor to agree with me that something is very wrong just based on having tried for 4 years before going to him and my husband's varicocele having been corrected but still not conceiving. He validated my concerns and communicated with numbers, which is how I understand and process situations.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Wendi and Lisa)
I only had issues with one nurse (not named). All other nurses were compassionate, informed, honest, helpful, empathetic, and genuine.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The front desk staff is incredible. They are very personable and even coordinate a monthly support group meeting on their own dime. They offer refreshments and rally a medical professional to discuss their field of expertise. The Mandeville location is never crowded(never felt like a cattle service, like other clinics and ob/gyn offices feel like).
Clomid and letrozole rounds may have been around 300-400. Injection rounds had a flat rate (for all bloodwork and ultrasounds and appointments up to ovulation) of 1250 each. There were med costs from the pharmacy on top of that and if I had needed the iui, it would have been another 500. We spend just under 2000 each injection cycle (follistim, menopur). IVF single/simple round is $12000 for fresh or frozen transfer.
In August 2017, the SART board regulated in our region that you may only transfer one embryo (or be sanctioned), unless female is 38+yrs old or has had 2 previous failed transfers, no other exceptions. I was sad to only transfer one but it wasn't really up to Dr Lu. All the fertility clinics in Louisiana have to adhere to the new regulations. He was clear about the risks of transferring more than one, though.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
The nursing staff at The Fertility Institute is inconsistent. Some of Dr. Lu's nurses are absolutely wonderful. They respond to requests in a timely manner and when I was starting at-home injections, gave me their cell phone number just in case I forgot how to properly mix something during off-hours. This is my primary nurse with Dr. Lu. The other nurses who have supported me at random points don't feel as invested or knowledgeable of my course of treatment...The clinic is extremely well organized! You can expect the same routine each time you go and the staff is efficient and mindful of your time. They are also flexible with scheduling appointments and have a very thorough financing department.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu's strengths include taking a thorough approach to understanding his patients' history and goals for seeking fertility treatment. He is a candid communicator and is able to answer our questions from both a statistical and a compassionate mindset. I have felt confident in every step of our treatment because Dr. Lu truly understands our specific concerns and keeps those at the forefront of every recommendation. I have also appreciated his straightforward approach to communicating next steps and results, while still leaving room for compassion and understanding. An example of this is when he called with the Diminished Ovarian Reserve results. I was 29 at the time and this was a result we sincerely did not consider possible. Dr. Lu re-explained the testing process, the diagnosis, and his recommended treatment comprehensively, but stopped to say "I hear that you're upset, and I want you to know that it's okay. Now is the time to be upset." This was incredibly affirming of my experience as a patient. He was gentle in pushing us forward in our treatment to not waste time while also being incredibly understanding.
Dr. Lu is a straightforward communicator and an incredibly good listener but you should be prepared to ask questions and be clear about your concerns and goals! He answers all of our questions in full and has continued to keep our goals in mind. I would imagine that if you don't have those things ready and would like more of a coaching approach, you may not feel fulfilled in the relationship.
From the first appointment with Dr. Lu, I felt that he was deeply invested in my individual fertility journey. He was candid about the different infertility realities couples face and outlined his reasoning behind every single test he first administered. He has continued to be patient, thorough, and transparent throughout the ups and downs of our treatment. He has listened to what our major concerns are and has helped us to make the most informed decisions possible that are the best for our family.
My husband and I tried to conceive naturally for 10 months before I made an appointment with my gynecologist, Dr. Sacha Wax. Due to my history of endometriosis, she moved forward with treatment and prescribed the first round of Clomid (50 mg/day), suspecting that I wasn’t successfully ovulating. My reaction to Clomid was not ideal but not uncommon. I developed a large cyst and went on birth control to diminish its size. Due to my history, reaction, and low progesterone, Dr. Wax recommended that I see a fertility specialist, and I made an appointment with Dr. Lu. The first few appointments with Dr. Lu were likely what every couple experiences on this journey. Bloodwork, ultrasounds, more bloodwork. From the initial imaging, Dr. Lu suspected an ovulation timing issue. We tried the HCG shot to trigger ovulation when one of my follicles was just on the cusp of the right size and my lining looked great. More bloodwork and progesterone supplements followed, as well as another sizeable cyst that ruptured and resulted in a trip to the emergency room. In the follow up conversation with Dr. Lu, he said that my bloodwork revealed my AMH results were extremely and surprisingly low for my age (29). I had an AMH of 0.677, when he expected it to be closer to 8, which meant my ovarian reserve was very low. The next step Dr. Lu recommended was another round of Clomid (100 mg/day), not to try for a successful pregnancy but instead to determine my FSH level to identify the quality of the eggs left in my limited reserve. The Clomid caused my FSH levels to almost double (from 6.8 to 11) which confirmed that both the quantity and quality of my ovarian reserve are extremely low. From there, Dr. Lu recommended that we try one-two months of Follistim injections (October 2016) in the hopes that this course of treatment would be successful instead of IVF. We tried one month of Follistim (150 mg/day) and I developed only one viable follicle on my left ovary, with two much smaller on my right. The treatment was unsuccessful and, on November 1, 2016, Dr. Lu shared that we were now at the point where IVF was the only course of treatment he could recommend due to my poor response to Follistim.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
In total (including medications, imaging, bloodwork, special testing, and office visit fees) we have spent over $6,000 on our fertility treatment thus far. Louisiana Insurance companies are not required to cover infertility treatment so none of our visits with Dr. Lu are covered.
We have not gotten to this point in our treatment yet.

PCOS, Unexplained
I felt he [Dr. Peter Lu] took the time to explain things and the process in which we took. I didn't feel like a number...He was easy to talk to and gave me expected outcomes. He did "damage control" from the other doctor I saw at another clinic. I felt like he had my interest at heart and not simply taking my money. I had to meet with him weekly due to a cyst that developed after my first IUI...
The nurses [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans] are knowledgeable about the process...$1385 for IUI and labs...$150 in medication...The parking for the clinic is horrible. You will have a difficult time trying to find somewhere to park. The staff is quick with check ins and taking labs. The privacy aspect is not completely private, you can guess what others are there for during the visit...
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He was easy to talk to and gave me expected outcomes. He did "damage control" from the other doctor I saw at another clinic. I felt like he had my interest at heart and not simply taking my money. I had to meet with him weekly due to a cyst that developed after my first IUI. He took his time to explain to me and my wife how he could help us in the process. Unfortunately, the IUI didn't turn into a pregnancy so we will be doing a follow up appointment to see what our next step will be.
When you first meet him, put all your cards on the table with expectations and concerns with the process.
I felt he took the time to explain things and the process in which we took. I didn't feel like a number.
When I started the process with him in December 2017, it was discovered I had a cyst, in which birth control was prescribed to make it smaller. This process last until the end of February. I was put on Letozole 7.5mg for 5 days , wait for 5 days to do ultrasounds to check follicle size and I took Pregnyl on March 2 and I was inseminated on March 3
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Charlene)
The nurses are knowledgeable about the process.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
$1385 for IUI and labs $270 for co payments for the treatment of cyst $150 in medication

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr. Lu is very knowledgeable. He is down to earth and talks to you like you are a friend not a patient. He stutters but is not hard to follow what he is saying. It’s more like his mouth can’t keep up with what his brain wants to say. He talks to both partners and explains in detail what treatment he recommends. He takes his time with talking to you and will answer any questions.
This clinic [Fertility Institute of New Orleans] has a couple locations. I went to the Mandeville location. It’s a small office so when they get busy there’s not a lot of room in the waiting area. Everyone seems happy to be there and happy to see you. They make you feel like they really want you to be successful.... r Lu’s nurse Wendy and the ivf nurse, Lisa, are very easy to talk to. They encourage you to call them with any questions. They make sure you understand what you need to do and what’s next.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Take notes on what he says. He can cover so much information that it’s hard to remember it all sometimes.
Staff is very pleasant and personable. They seem to be excited for us when we were able to start treatment.
We went to Dr. Lu interested in his donor embryo program. He was very happy for us to adopt embryos and work with us. After we ran bloodwork to be matched with donors, we did an shg and then began a fet cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Wendy (nurse) then Lisa (ivf nurse))
Dr Lu’s nurse Wendy and the ivf nurse, Lisa, are very easy to talk to. They encourage you to call them with any questions. They make sure you understand what you need to do and what’s next.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
This clinic has a couple locations. I went to the Mandeville location. It’s a small office so when they get busy there’s not a lot of room in the waiting area. Everyone seems happy to be there and happy to see you. They make you feel like they really want you to be successful.
I had to pay for initial consult & testing & then fet cost.
Dr. Lu was very adamant that he would only transfer 1 embryo at a time. He explained that the risks of a multiple pregnancy was much higher than a singleton pregnancy.
+ Read more- Read less

Educate yourself on procedures, medications, etc. Research. Dr. Lu is a total pro but sometimes he speaks quickly so it helps if you have a little understanding and can keep up...very knowledgeable and sweet. However, I never felt like he remembered me or previous conversations he’d had with me. I think he, perhaps, juggled too many patients...Sometimes I felt as if he didn’t remember me or my husband and I’s specific issues and concerns from visit to visit.
Typically short wait times [at Fertility Institute of New Orleans], which is great for working people. Hate that procedures and Saturday appointments have to be done in the New Orleans office. Once you find out you are pregnant (which should be a joyous time) they hit you with an office fee that is very expensive!! Especially considering it doesn’t include blood work and ultrasounds ordered. It’s literally just for the visit - didn’t even see the doctor on these visits!
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu is hugely knowledgeable and sweet. My only issue is that I feel he may have had too many patients to really retain an understanding of each patient. Sometimes I felt as if he didn’t remember me or my husband and I’s specific issues and concerns from visit to visit. Thank goodness for charts and record keeping! Overall he is an awesome doctor and we wouldn’t have our beautiful baby girl without him.
Dr. Lu is very knowledgeable and sweet. However, I never felt like he remembered me or previous conversations he’d had with me. I think he, perhaps, juggled too many patients.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Typically short wait times, which is great for working people. Hate that procedures and Saturday appointments have to be done in the New Orleans office. Once you find out you are pregnant (which should be a joyous time) they hit you with an office fee that is very expensive!! Especially considering it doesn’t include blood work and ultrasounds ordered. It’s literally just for the visit - didn’t even see the doctor on these visits!
We bought a package that allowed us 2 attempts. It was somewhere around 10 thousand. This does not include medications, which are also very costly.
Having two babies at once is hard! Both the pregnancy and afterwards with twins (or more!). It’s safer to hope for a healthy Singleton.

1 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Lu is a very kind, knowledgeable man. He treated me with compassion and concern. I never left his office with a question or feeling unsure or doubtful about the next steps. He kept me informed every step of the way.... He really cares for me and wants me to become pregnant. He even personally called me on a Saturday with results.... We used menopur and follistim. I was skeptical of menopur due to a cancelled cycle so we did less menopur and more follistim but he explained the need for both medications. I trust him.
Clinic's strengths [Fertility Institute of New Orleans- NO] - communication, concern, great location. Great doctors and nurses. Knowledgeable staff who genuinely cares for their patients. Weaknesses - The staff who did the retrieval downstairs was not as friendly. I asked for anti nausea meds. They forgot then blamed it on me to Dr. Lu... Usually took an hour to get monitored Bloodwork was always very quick but ultrasound took a long time.
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Be open minded to his ideas. He knows what he is doing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
strengths- would always call back and with answers weakness - sometimes it took a while for her to call back
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Clinic's strengths - communication, concern, great location. Great doctors and nurses. Knowledgeable staff who genuinely cares for their patients. Weaknesses - The staff who did the retrieval downstairs was not as friendly. I asked for anti nausea meds. They forgot then blamed it on me to Dr. Lu
$12,000 for IVF
+ Read more- Read less

Right from our first meeting I felt that Dr. Lu cared. He did not immediately push ivf on us, which we assumed would happen. With each question or concern Dr. Lu has taken time to explain things to us. He is always very specific and chooses his words carefully. Dr. Lu is very professional and he's also very personable. We've been very satisfied with our choice of Dr. Lu as our dr so far.
Strengths are the drs and nurses as well as the facility itself [for Fertility Institute of NO]. Our Dr. is great, the nurses and techs are all nice and helpful. Unfortunately we have had issues with the billing department, but those have been resolved. Overall we are very pleased and glad we chose this clinic.... We felt that the policy regarding implanting 1 vs 2 embryos was not explained to us at the time we were deciding on the number of eggs to fertilize.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu can sometimes talk a little fast and he likes numbers and statistics, so pay close attention!
Dr. Lu took time to explain things to us. His bedside manner was warm and welcoming. He went as far as calling us on his own time to answer questions, give clarification and address concerns we had.
I can't really describe this, but it did seem as though with each monitoring appointment, Dr. Lu was great with analyzing the situation and adjusting as needed. He seemed very intuitive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Alleman)
Overall very helpful and caring.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Strengths are the drs and nurses as well as the facility itself. Our Dr. is great, the nurses and techs are all nice and helpful. Unfortunately we have had issues with the billing department, but those have been resolved. Overall we are very pleased and glad we chose this clinic.
Our ivf with icsi was about $15.
Dr. Lu follows their clinic policy which goes along with the state recs of putting back one embryo under a certain age and two if over. If younger he will do two after failed cycles.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Peter Lu] really takes the time to explain what is involved in the IVF process. He spent over an hour with my husband and I, answering our questions and making sure we understood the individualized plan he had. He also did extra testing that other clinics had not done, and saved us from attempting a third IUI, needlessly.... Dr. Lu strongly encouraged single embryo transfers for my age group. He explained in detail risks vs benefits.
The staff [at Fertility Institute of NO- Mandeville] is extremely friendly and helpful. Sandy from ultrasound always made us feel more comfortable as she described what she was looking at and what Dr. Lu was looking for from the tests ordered. She always too the time to explain to us what was going on during our IVF journey. They have a support group that meets monthly.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Dr. Lu spent extra time with my husband and I to explain the entire process. He made sure that he had our entire history, and took the time to perform extra testing not offered elsewhere. He took the time to answer all of our questions and made sure we understood. He is a very caring and personable doctor.
Make sure you choose him as your doctor.
He really takes the time to explain what is involved in the IVF process. He spent over an hour with my husband and I, answering our questions and making sure we understood the individualized plan he had. He also did extra testing that other clinics had not done, and saved us from attempting a third IUI, needlessly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
Lisa promptly communicated with me any new information. She made sure I had the medications I needed, and was always understanding when I asked her questions when I needed clarification on information I had previously received.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Sandy from ultrasound always made us feel more comfortable as she described what she was looking at and what Dr. Lu was looking for from the tests ordered. She always too the time to explain to us what was going on during our IVF journey. They have a support group that meets monthly.
+ Read more- Read less
He [Dr. Lu] is very personable and welcoming at every visit. He will take his time to explain anything your don’t understand. ... He called back if I needed to talk to him. ... I used follistim 100/125 second cycle ,munopur 1 unit to every two bottles , and ganerellix 3 first time 1 last time . both cycles and also progesterone shots to many bottles to remember maybe 6. I also took coq10, magnisium, vit D, aspirin baby, muti vit second time
You will build a relationship with the staff there [Fertility Institute of New Orleans]. They help you in anyway. ... They will go out they’re way on days off if you have a emergency . ... She [nurse] returned every phone call I made to her. She sat down and explained every medication and how to take it. ... They could work on maybe a second egg retrieval break or discount in a more effective cost way.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He took his time with us and explained everything and step. He called back if I needed to talk to him. He did his job as he should. He is very personable and welcoming at every visit. He will take his time to explain anything your don’t understand.
Trust in the Lord
He answered any questions I had and took his time every appointment!
She returned every phone call I made to her. She sat down and explained every medication and how to take it.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
You will build a relationship with the staff there. They help you in anyway. They could work on maybe a second egg retrieval break or discount in a more effective cost way. They will go out they’re way on days off if you have a emergency .
45 thousand Dollarda so far. That’s two egg retrivals, one transfer, and medications
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Lu] was very involved in my care. I always felt like I was his only patient...He is very knowledgeable and real with his patients. He tells you exactly what you need to hear, like it or not. We did two cycles with my OB before starting at the FC, and luckily our first round there worked!!...150mg Clomid, Estradiol twice a day and progesterone. Once pregnancy was confirmed, continued progesterone until 2nd trimester.
There wasn’t one thing I thought could be different in the Mandeville location [of Fertility Institute of New Orleans]. It’s very clean and inviting. The diffuser was always on when you walk in, so you feel a sense of calm. My husband and I were always pleased going there...The nurses are top notch. I had seen just about every one of them in my short time there, and they were all incredible. Very knowledgeable and extremely companionate.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Don’t wait. If you’re struggling or even think there may be an issue, go see him.
He was very involved in my care. I always felt like I was his only patient.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
There wasn’t one thing I thought could be different in the Mandeville location. It’s very clean and inviting. The diffuser was always on when you walk in, so you feel a sense of calm. My husband and I were always pleased going there.
The cycle was a lump sum that included monitoring. Other testing and all medications are separate.
+ Read more- Read less
Dr. Lu has been very understanding and helpful in our situation. He has thoroughly discissed our options with us and made us feel reassured along the way. It is obvious that he is highly experienced and extremely passionate about helping his patients.... We plan to do a single embryo transfer. After speaking with Dr. Lu, it is the best option given my age.... Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions. He is happy to answer!
The clinic staff [Fertility Inst of New Orleans] is friendly and as accomodating as possible. The only confusion we have experienced has been related to the cost of treatments. They are happy to assist and answer our questions. Clinic is easy to get to.... Each round of IUI cost around $4000 (including medications). IVF cycle is currently at $25000 (including medications)... We plan to do a single embryo transfer.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions. He is happy to answer!
He and his staff have taken the time to sensitively, yet thoroughly and honestly explain every step of our process.
The entire staff has been very supportive and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
The clinic staff is friendly and as accomodating as possible. The only confusion we have experienced has been related to the cost of treatments. They are happy to assist and answer our questions. Clinic is easy to get to.

Anovulation, Unexplained
He has a stutter but is very educated and knowledgeable. He listens to the couple’s wishes and concerns and answers questions very thoroughly. He will answer the questions multiple times if needed. He also knows when people aren’t hearing what he’s saying - like when being told miscarried and next steps.... Oral medications - high dose clomid for one last try. Made my cervical mucus “hostile” Femera x 2 worked but didn’t get pregnant and I needed an emotional break Injections - this is where we are now.
[Fertility Institute of New Orleans- Madeville has] Two locations to go to for care. Can be seen either one. If seen in both sometimes chart isn’t complete and that leads to some insurance and care issues. Staff is at both locations. Very easy to breeze in and out... Oral medications - high dose clomid for one last try. Made my cervical mucus “hostile” Femera x 2 worked but didn’t get pregnant and I needed an emotional break Injections - this is where we are now. Haven’t gotten my first cycle started yet.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Trust him and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Dr Lu personally called me and spoke with me.
Very kind and patient.
Medications injections - $120-300 a vial depending on med
Not considering IVF so have no experience with this
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Lu makes you feel like he really matters to you, he is never in hurry, and always seems willing to explain things and make sure you understand and are comfortable before going forward....Dr. Lu is very knowledgeable and thorough in his visits with you. I never felt like he was rushed, and always felt like he truly cared. Dr. Lu himself will personally call you with some results and to check on you at home...All staff is friendly and competent in their role.
[Fertility Institute of NO] Clinic is very nice, with little to no wait times on the day of your scheduled appointment. All staff is friendly and competent in their role....3 egg retrievals, 1 fresh transfer, 2 frozen transfers and all meds, labs, and US were $60,000...Mary was excellent, very caring, compassionate, and understanding. She is always organized and timely....Dr. Lu is very knowledgeable and thorough in his visits with you. I never felt like he was rushed, and always felt like he truly cared. Dr. Lu himself will personally call you with some results and to check on you at home.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
Make a list of questions you have for him before your visits. Take notes while at the appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Mary )
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Peter Lu] is research driven & positive. He is not a firm believer in alternative therapies, sich as herbs & supplements, but he's also not against trying them. He seemed to understand our desire for having another child & seemed hopeful but also realistic that there's no exact science for treating infertility. His bedside manner is efficient and knowledgeable, backed up by statistics and information, but he did not appear well-versed or particularly supportive of additional alternative resources (accupuncture, diet, growth hormone, etc.) to utilize in addition to the typical injection protocol.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He is research driven & positive. He is not a firm believer in alternative therapies, sich as herbs & supplements, but he's also not against trying them. He seemed to understand our desire for having another child & seemed hopeful but also realistic that there's no exact science for treating infertility. His bedside manner is efficient and knowledgeable, backed up by statistics and information, but he did not appear well-versed or particularly supportive of additional alternative resources (accupuncture, diet, growth hormone, etc.) to utilize in addition to the typical injection protocol.
Ask him for information about why he does not subscribe to alternative supplemental therapies to enhance fertility treatments.
He seemed very research driven, but he also articulated & echoed our reasons for wanting another child after havibg had one easily & naturally earlier.
Expensive!
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Lu is a good doctor. He explains things scientifically and I felt like he did want us to conceive. It is important to ask question along the process to make sense of a lot of complicated information. He will answer your questions and make sure you understand the course of action and next steps....The strategy for me was injection medications. I was not receptive to Clomid....I was always able to make an appointment at my time period of preference.
Very easy to schedule appointments [at Fert Inst of NO], but the parking lot filled up fast. I was always able to make an appointment at my time period of preference. The staff was friendly and quick. I never waited very long in the waiting room before I was seen...[Nursing staff] The were caring and thorough, but at times I felt had a lot of patients and things felt rushed....[treatment costs] around 15,000...Dr. Lu is a good doctor. He explains things scientifically and I felt like he did want us to conceive.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
The strategy for me was injection medications. I was not receptive to Clomid.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
Very easy to schedule appointments, but the parking lot filled up fast. I was always able to make an appointment at my time period of preference. The staff was friendly and quick. I never waited very long in the waiting room before I was seen.
around 15,000

IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr Lu has a great bed side manner very supportive and compassionate. He makes sure you understand what you are getting into and all the steps along the way. A very kind and thoughtful man...He took time and care to answer all our questions and encouraged us...Tell him everything...
[Fert Inst of NO - Mand clinic is] Very efficient and on top of things. You are seen quickly and taken good care of...
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Tell him everything
He took time and care to answer all our questions and encouraged us.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Lu is very straight forward, which I like. He talks to me and allows me to understand exactly what the steps will be. He also has a plan ready for the next round in case it is a negative. I like that he is always thinking ahead...I don’t want to be given false hope or led on. I definitely feel like Dr. Lu is doing everything he can to help me get pregnant without wasting my money or time!...We are at the stage of injectable stimulants, hcg trigger shot, and an IUI. No comments yet on it as it’s my first attempt with injectables.
We are at the stage of injectable stimulants, hcg trigger shot, and an IUI [with Fertility Institute of New Orleans]...The nursing staff is super helpful. Due to my crazy work schedule they are always really flexible with helping me make my appointments...An IUI with injectables they said I’d going to cost me around $3000...A strength the clinic has is that it is easy to get to in our area. Another strength is that the appointments work well with my schedule. They have support groups that they host every now and then, which is a bonus. A weakness is you end up having to leave voicemails for the nurse and it seems sometimes it takes them a while to call you back.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
I feel like Dr. Lu is very professional and to the point. I am in the medical field and I just want to know the facts. I really like that he doesn’t sugar coat anything because not all news is goos news. I don’t want to be given false hope or led on. I definitely feel like Dr. Lu is doing everything he can to help me get pregnant without wasting my money or time!
Go in with an open mind. He does stutter a little bit and talks in circles it seems but he is just trying to get his point across.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
An IUI with injectables they said I’d going to cost me around $3000.

2017 - 2019
He [Dr. Peter Lu] became a friend in the end. We built a relationship with him over time! He’s a very kind smart man. He always answered every question we had and also called back hisself in weekends if I had a question! He made every part of the process smooth and comfortable as possible.... Peter lu took his time with us on any question we had. He was very personable!
I never had a problem with anything at this facility [Fertility Institute of NO-Mandeville]. If I had any questions regarding billing, medicine, appointments someone always answered. Every staff member did their part of the job to the fullest ..... She [the nurse] answered any medicine questions and always called back... He became a friend in the end. We built a relationship with him over time! He’s a very kind smart man. He always answered every question we had and also called back hisself in weekends if I had a question! He made every part of the process smooth and comfortable as possible.
How was your experience with Peter Lu at Fertility Institute of New Orleans?
He became a friend in the end. We built a relationship with him over time! He’s a very kind smart man. He always answered every question we had and also called back hisself in weekends if I had a question! He made every part of the process smooth and comfortable as possible. I will always recommend him to any lady struggling to have a child. I have had friends go to him and they also love him just a small much. In the near future with our other frozen embryos we will only use him to transfer our babys.
he’s a great doctor don’t be scared to ask questions
Peter lu took his time with us on any question we had. He was very personable!
Ivf protocol
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of New Orleans. (Assigned nurse: Lisa )
She answered any medicine questions and always called back
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of New Orleans.
I never had a problem with anything at this facility. If I had any questions regarding billing, medicine, appointments someone always answered. Every staff member did their part of the job to the fullest .
Each process was different b In cost
He always says one healthy pregnancy at a time