Medical SchoolIndiana U.
FellowshipUSC
55 Francisco Street
San Francisco, CA 94133
415-834-3095
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Philip Chenette to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Pacific Fertility Center to a friend?
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Chenette is very caring, genuine and sympathetic. He spends time going over the procedure, what he is doing or will do and answers any and all questions. He is open to setting up 30 minute phone consults to answer questions. He is extremely thorough. There was only two times where I felt he could have been more sympathetic-- both times involved him explaining about men's sperm quality vs women's egg quality....Don't expect that he will be the one doing your procedure; it may be another doctor at the same clinic.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Chenette is very caring, genuine and sympathetic. He spends time going over the procedure, what he is doing or will do and answers any and all questions. He is open to setting up 30 minute phone consults to answer questions. He is extremely thorough. There was only two times where I felt he could have been more sympathetic-- both times involved him explaining about men's sperm quality vs women's egg quality. He seemed very pro-male, stating that the majority of the time the issue is in the women. Even if that is true, and I trust him, it doesn't sound great coming out. Also, after our first retrieval, he mentioned that my husband did a "great job" and made it seem like I didn't. I was overly sensitive at the time (extra hormones) and wished that he didn't say it like that but rather, be more sensitive in the way he phrased that comment. I know he means well. He is extremely genuine and overall a great doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Don't expect that he will be the one doing your procedure; it may be another doctor at the same clinic. Ask a lot of questions because he is great at answering them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Doctor Chenette is very caring and genuine. He speaks softly, remains calm and he spends times to explain things and answer questions.
Describe the protocols Philip Chenette used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
First retrieval: 200 IU of Follistim; 150IU of Menopur; prenatal vitamin, HCG trigger shot and lupron two nights(?) before retrieval. Baseline ultrasound day 2 of cycle and Ultrasounds during the stim process. Second retrieval (in process): 200 IU of Follistim, Morning and evening 10 units of Lupron, .2ml LD hCG, prenatal vitamin and CoQ10 and DHEA.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Iris)
The nurse was very helpful in answering all my questions. The nursing staff was great-- extremely friendly, helpful, and kind. I did not like my care coordinator, Laura Begay. She was always busy, all conversations felt rushed and she was not compassionate at all. There were numerous times I was at the office and wanted to meet her face to face, but she never once introduced herself to me in person and every time I asked the staff if she was available, she was too busy. Once her part is complete, she is quick to pass off other issues to other staff. She is very to the point and blunt and I wished many times she showed a little compassion to me.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
The clinic is extremely organized. The facility is really nice and the nursing staff is great. One weakness is the clinical coordinator I was partnered with. Her name is Laura Begay and she was not compassionate at all.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center.
roughly $22K for the retrieval and around $3K for medication (1st time) second time: roughly $15K for retrieval and around $1500 for medication
Describe Philip Chenette's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center.
Dr. Chenette is an advocate for single embryo transfer. He strongly discourages multiple embryo transfer
2013
2013
How was your experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Chenette came highly recommended to me, so I had high hopes. In our initial meeting, he reassured us that our situation was common and there were lots of avenues we could go down to increase our chances of getting pregnant. I did want to try to be as "natural" as possible and not take drastic measures unless we had to, and I'm not sure that was totally respected. His team made a mistake putting together my schedule for when to take the Clomid, so the first time it didn't work. The second time was a slam dunk, so we were lucky enough not to have to take more extreme measures. The nurse assigned to our case was absolutely fantastic, but other than that I'd say Dr Chenette was just ok, and the rest of the staff was quite frustrating to work with. Our information was not passed correctly from one team member to the next and I found myself having to repeat myself in the same appointment and in one appointment after another.
Get a feel for the whole staff you'd be working with, not just Dr. Chenette.
I didn't feel like he adapted the conversation to me... as someone who didn't really want to go this route in the first place and was willing to take a bit more time to forgo taking drastic action, I don't think that changed Dr. Chenette's pitch.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sue Austin)
She was the only one on top of it. She emailed and called me often, apologized when the rest of the staff made mistakes and was generally a fantastic person to work with.
2013 - 2016
Dr. Chenette is very competent. The clinic generally tends to do single embryo transfers and counselled us against multi-embryo transfers. There were some billing issues, the counselor was a bit pushy for IVF, and we did feel like we were signed up for IVF before we had made the decision ourselves. But overall, the clinic provided adequate service...He was confident and competent...
2013 - 2016
How was your experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Just make sure that you don't want to feel as if you're being pushed to IVF. You want to understand the risks as best as possible and want them to spend the time educating you as a patient as to the best treatments that give you the best possible chances of a healthy, single child with minimal risks to mother and child.
He was confident and competent.
Menopur, Follistim, single embryo transfers
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
The clinic is busy. The embryologist and labs are top notch. The surgery center was well maintained. Some issues with record keeping and billing.
Spent around $30K. IVF covered, additional costs include semen analysis, fertility drugs, embryo storage, genetic testing.
1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Set a great treatment plan that gave me 400 times better than expected results. Explained the process throroughly and provided a good summary of results at the end. The Dr [Chenette] was available through nurses to answer questions and was key to making my experience a good one...Don’t expect to see him on every visit, but know that he is available for questions and the other doctors on staff are also fantastic...I was on a moderate dose of menopur and follistim for 11 days. My trigger was a mixed lupron/hcg due to having a large number of follicles.
European, Latino, Other
1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Set a great treatment plan that gave me 400 times better than expected results. Explained the process throroughly and provided a good summary of results at the end. The Dr was available through nurses to answer questions and was key to making my experience a good one.
Smooth process, quick response to questions and easy scheduling
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Clinic is well run and organized. They are open on weekends and easy to communicate with. Everything is well explained and the process went very smoothly for me from my visit visit to subsequent ones. I had zero problems getting appointments when I needed them.
Full cost with all visits was approximately 21k.
2012
5 Eggs Frozen
3 IUI, 5 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
He [Dr. Philip Chenette] started with very negative and scary data on our first visit (That has turned out to be debunked) And, one of the protocols ended in a cancelled cycle and I never had that happen on the 5 following ones. Also, the doctors after that were not impressed with the protocol he suggested for the 2nd round after the first one didn't meet his expectations. So, that concerned me too
2012
5 Eggs Frozen
Investor
3 IUI, 5 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
He started with very negative and scary data on our first visit (That has turned out to be debunked) And, one of the protocols ended in a cancelled cycle and I never had that happen on the 5 following ones. Also, the doctors after that were not impressed with the protocol he suggested for the 2nd round after the first one didn't meet his expectations. So, that concerned me too
He knew who I was, so it wasn't quite like a number, but I didn't have the best rapport with him
FSH 240 and ganirelix for the first one. 7 eggs retrieved and 5 were frozen. (This was the best result I had from any protocol, but every doctor after that did more 'complex' ones.) Then a lupron pill for the 2nd attempt, which failed.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
High-end feel but I didn't get to see the same people a lot, and I still didn't felt a bit like a number
2011 - 2012
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
He gave me a candid assessment of my chances due to my age. He did not discourage me to pursue using my own eggs but he was very pragmatic about the statistical outcome.
2011 - 2012
Investor
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Philip Chenette at Pacific Fertility Center?
Concentrate on the end goal - having a baby, and let him suggest the best route to do obtain this given your history.
The doctor, front desk staff and nurses were always very professional and knew my name. When I was called to discuss pregnancy results the nurses were very thoughtful. When I had two embryo transfers that ended unsuccessfully Dr. Chenette called me to follow up and address any concerns.
It is a very well run practice and they were all professional.