Medical SchoolCreighton University School of Medicine
ResidencyMayo Clinic in Rochester, MN
FellowshipMayo Clinic in Rochester, MN
2101 Woodwinds Drive
Woodbury, MN 55125
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Phoebe H. Leonard to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Leonard is like no other. I've never felt more comfortable in such an uncomfortable and stressful situation. She's incredibly intelligent and professional yet personable with perfect balance. It was often easy to forget she was my doctor because it sometimes felt like she was sitting on my side of the table as a friend. I will miss Dr. Leonard and her staff.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Phoebe H. Leonard at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Phoebe H. Leonard at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
Trust her - it's on her mind just as much as it is on yours.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Phoebe H. Leonard at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
I was always greeted by name at RMIA which was immediately different than previous experiences where I, not only felt like a number but, was a number.
Describe the protocols Phoebe H. Leonard used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates and their degree of success.
FIRST: Antagonist Protocol- total dose of FSH of 6+0 for 14 days, preceded by pre-treatment with BC pills and high dose GnRH agonist. 4 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 fertilized & transferred (negative) SECOND: Birth control and Co-Flare Cycle - 8400 IU of FSH, trigger 10K HCG on day 14 2 retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized & transferred - Negative THIRD: No birth control! 7425 IU of FSH, trigger was 10K HCG on day 12. E2 day of trigger was 2368 10 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized – 2 transferred day 5 (one blastocyst and one morula) Remaining embryos did not develop past morula stage Negative
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Courtney, Joni, Ferneatress)
I saw the nurses and assistants more than anyone and, just like Dr. Leonard, they made me feel incredibly comfortable. Their responses via phone and email were fast and their commitment to me as a patient was so authentic.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
Getting to know the patients is definitely a strength at RMIA. From the support staff to the lab to the nurses and doctors, I felt a sense of belonging and comfort. This was a wonderful feeling to have in the midst of something that can feel very lonely.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Phoebe H. Leonard at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
We did a warranty program for $28K that refunded 80% after three failed cycles. Each cycle was about $10K extra in medication so that was an additional $30K.
Describe Phoebe H. Leonard's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
She was very objective and all decisions were mutual.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological
Dr. Leonard is extremely compassionate about what she does and it shows. She takes the time to explain everything in detail. She is very honest, and communicates sometimes difficult information in a very compassionate manner... [RMIA] Great clinic. Like that it’s not huge and you don’t just feel like a number. Like that they offer early morning appointments for lab and ultrasound and that you actually are able to schedule a time! Very easy to call and get questions answered with nursing!
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological
She has great bedside manner!
Our experience with RMIA and Dr. Leonard was wonderful. They always greet you and they take chances on their patients. We didn’t qualify for the warranty program anywhere else, but under the approval of Dr. Stassart they made an exception for us. They were confident they had what it took to make us be successful, yet were willing to take most of the financial risk so that we had a chance at having a baby.
Nursing staff was great. They are all wonderful. You aren’t assigned a single nurse at this clinic. However, it’s small enough that you get to know them all very well so it’s not a big deal.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
We were extremely fortunate that Dr. Stassart allowed us into the warranty program. We paid $23,000 plus meds for program. Had we not been successful, we would have been refunded $18,000. Can’t put a pricetag on a baby, but we were so grateful that they gave us a chance to be part of the warranty program after other clinics had denied us. Thank you so much RMIA! Had you not allowed us to enter the warranty program, we would have had to stop our fertility journey and wouldn’t have had our precious babies!
Woodbury
She [Dr. Leonard] took the time to talk with us and answer questions. She did not speak over our heads. While going through the process I was disappointing that I didn't see her more but looking back at, off hormones, it I am ok with it. She wasn't always prompt for her appointments. I would/will go back to her again.... I wanted to transfer two however she mentioned with twins in our families she was nervous about 3 babies.
She took the time to talk with us and answer questions. She did not speak over our heads. While going through the process I was disappointing that I didn't see her more but looking back at, off hormones, it I am ok with it. She wasn't always prompt for her appointments. I would/will go back to her again.
Go into meetings prepared with questions and take notes. It's a lot to take in no matter what doctor you are seeing. Give yourself time.
We did out monitoring close to home so I only saw Dr. Leonard 3-4 times. I don't expect her to remember me when I am not physically there.
I started on birth control to regulate cycle. Was then put on menopur for 10 days. They were hoping to reduce my dosage of menopur after 3 days but ended up having to use 6 vials each day. I had ultrasounds every other day and blood work each day. I administered one shot of lupron and the HCG on day ten. 12 follicles retrieved, 7 embryos created, transferred 1 on day 5 led to no pregnancy, one embryo was frozen and transferred 2 months later for a birth of a healthy baby boy. Was also on baby asprin, vitatmins, and antibiotics.
We had one very poor experience with an oncall nurse. I was told to "figure it out". Other than that the nurses we very helpful and detailed. The process can be very confusing and with the cost of it and your emotions on overload its very stressful. The team is great about giving you clear instructions verbally and written.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
The Woodbury clinic is updated, clean, comfortable, great location. The recovery room is a bit tight and didn't care to be separated from other patients by I curtain but we weren't there too long. Again, we did our monitoring at home so we weren't at the clinic but a few times. They have an ultrasound machine that shows everything on a big screen so you can see your baby instead of a tiny blob on a 6x6 screen.
$19,500 100% refund if didn't work after 3 cycles. Monitoring and medications were extra.
I wanted to transfer two however she mentioned with twins in our families she was nervous about 3 babies. We opted to transfer one after that discussion.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates?
Woodbury
In our initial phone consult, she [Dr. Leonard] stated that she does what she does because she wants to help couples who deserve to be parents become parents.... Strengths: intelligent, good reputation, she came highly recommended, sweet, good sense of humor, able to explain things in lay terms. Weaknesses: we had to undergo our treatments from a location 4 hours away from our home - so we only saw our doctor 3 times. Every other communication or order was given to us in a phone call from the nurses
Strengths: intelligent, good reputation, she came highly recommended, sweet, good sense of humor, able to explain things in lay terms. Weaknesses: we had to undergo our treatments from a location 4 hours away from our home - so we only saw our doctor 3 times. Every other communication or order was given to us in a phone call from the nurses - the problem with that is things throughout the process weren’t always explained to what we were expecting. (ie: why did you change my med dose? What does it mean that my estrogen level is what it is? Etc) As a nurse myself....I always wanted to know what and why. She did explain all of these things to us thoroughly after our completed (failed) IVF round, which was appreciated, but I didn’t like feeling like I was just going through the motions throughout the treatment not quite understanding numbers and changes made. It was very hard undergoing tm from far away. I do not recommend.
Do your research before you start. Don’t rush into it. Explain to your Doctor how you prefer to be informed. Ask all the questions.
In our initial phone consult, she stated that she does what she does because she wants to help couples who deserve to be parents become parents.
Dr. Leonard had me stimulate with Follistim. She carefully monitored my labs to make sure my body was responding correctly. She did have to increase my dosage to get my Estrogen levels to respond as she was anticipating. Then, due to that increase, my Estrogen levels did peak very high - I had to supplement with Carbergoline for 2 weeks to prevent OHSS. My stimulation resulted in 23 mature follicles (by ultrasound). Dr. Leonard was able to retrieve 13 mature and size-specific follicles. We then waited for a phone call to tell us if we had to return at 3 or 5 days after fertilization for a fresh transfer.
We did not work a primary nurse - which would have been extremely beneficial in our situation (as we live 4 hours away from the clinic - so we did A LOT of phone communication). If I did have an issue or a question, I felt like I always had to re-explain my situation to every new person I spoke with. On our day of transfer, there was one nurse specifically - Stacey who was WONDERFUL. So calm, accommodating and sweet. Exactly what you need when you're undergoing fertility treatment. Also, the front desk staff were great.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
I thought that the clinic itself was fine - no complaints, really. It had a welcoming lobby with friendly receptionists. Also, there were snacks, coffee and water that you could enjoy while waiting. All of our appointments were on time and went as scheduled. The exam/procedure rooms were clean and comfortable and didn't have that "hospital/sterile feel".
The baseline cost for IVF with ICSI was $8,800 and we had to pay for that up front. That did not include the monitoring, medications or lab fees.
She explained that the risks for producing multiples are higher with IVF even with a single embryo transfer and there aren't exact reasonings for why. She encouraged us to only transfer one embryo, because I was under 35 and "healthy"
IUI, 2 IVF
She [Dr. Phoebe Leonard] is very matter of fact but I feel with IVF treatments it’s important to not be given false hope. She was positive from the beginning about my case but also told us not to waste our money continuing to pursue IUI treatments (which we were hoping too). She explained her reasoning and why she thought it would be a waste of our time and financial resources.
IUI, 2 IVF
During my first cycle, I did not respond to the meds as expected. While disappointing for me and having to play catch up near the end (taking 7-8 vials a day) to grow eggs- Dr. Leonard made sure that the 2nd cycle was done differently and really made sure that we could be as successful as possible.
She is very matter of fact but I feel with IVF treatments it’s important to not be given false hope. She was positive from the beginning about my case but also told us not to waste our money continuing to pursue IUI treatments (which we were hoping too). She explained her reasoning and why she thought it would be a waste of our time and financial resources.
She listened to our concerns and made us feel like she cared and had a good understanding of my medical background.
You see and deal with the nurses more than the doctors while you are being monitored. All the nurses were amazing!!
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine & Infertility Associates.
I liked that this clinic was smaller than others we had gone to informative meetings about. We were able to be seen fairly quickly and got the process rolling quickly. I think their website is lacking and hard to find information on but everyone is very willing to help answer any questions along the way.
We chose the clinics warranty plan. It was well worth our money especially since it included the stim meds and I needed 8 vials for a few days!