3.5

3779 Piedmont Avenue
Oakland, CA 94611

1 patient review filtered by:

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Nelson requests calls shortly after each treatment to review how I was feeling and potential next steps. He always greets each call asking how I'm doing and if I have any questions. He ends each call confirming that I'm clear with next steps and making sure all of my questions and concerns are answered.... We initially attempted a Clomid cycle with no IUI. Unfortunately, the medication left me with some unwanted side effects so he switched me to Letrozole for the next cycle. After a couple of Letrozole cycles with IUI, we decided to try Menopur with IUI.
Kaiser Oakland has struggled to maintain the staffing (nurses and doctors) necessary for the clinic. I was initially referred to the Fremont clinic as the Oakland one was not accepting new patients and had to wait several months before being transferred to Oakland. They also do not perform IUIs on Sundays.... On one occasion, I was told that my prescriptions were ordered but when I arrived to pick them up, the Letrozole prescription had not been requested.
How was your experience with Preston Nelson at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Preston Nelson at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Be as honest as possible. He's very compassionate and non-judgmental.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Preston Nelson at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Extremely gentle bedside manner. Always very concerned about my well being.
Describe the protocols Preston Nelson used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
We initially attempted a Clomid cycle with no IUI. Unfortunately, the medication left me with some unwanted side effects so he switched me to Letrozole for the next cycle. After a couple of Letrozole cycles with IUI, we decided to try Menopur with IUI. The Menopur did not yield greater results so we resumed Letrozole and waiting for another IUI. Dr. Nelson did recommend IVF after our first consultation but due to costs, we decided to go this route.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Overall the nursing staff is pleasant and professional.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Preston Nelson at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
My husband has a good health insurance plan so costs of medications and co-pays are minimal. His insurance covers IUIs but does not cover IVF. Insurance through my employer does not cover IVF and IUI costs are higher.
Describe Preston Nelson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Dr. Nelson was an IVF doctor but Kaiser does not offer that service at the Oakland facility so he did not make any recommendations regarding embryo transfers.
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
On one occasion, I was told that my prescriptions were ordered but when I arrived to pick them up, the Letrozole prescription had not been requested. I have been told by Dr. Nelson that I could schedule a baseline ultrasound (since my cycle is fairly regular) ahead of beginning my cycle but the nurses would not schedule until I was at Day 1 of my cycle. There have also been a couple of instances of waiting 20+ minutes to have my vitals checked once I have checked in and another wait for the doctor once I am in the exam room. I have also had to call in after having blood work taken as no one called me with the results and certain test results are not available online.
Preston Nelson