7.3

Preston Sacks works at

2440 M Street NW
Washington, DC 20037

2010 - 2011, Unsuccessful
Dr Sacks is a very kind man. He has a good bedside manner. My only critique is that he did not seem to be that focused on my treatment plan. I did 12 IUI's (half medicated and half unmediated) and had 3 miscarriages. I know that hindsight is 20/20 but I would have liked to see him try harder to determine a cause for the miscarriages and recommend more aggressive treatment...I would tell a prospective patient that she should make sure she doesn't stay on the same protocol for too long if success is not happening with whatever Dr Sacks is doing. Although it is super hard to go on the internet and research other things, and we tend to assume that the doctor with the training knows what he is doing, and there is always value in being patient while TTC, sometimes you have to push!
There was a lot of variability in the followup of the nurses and the bedside manner of the nurses who take your blood. The Bethesda CFA was fabulously staffed. The D.C. CFA was always much more crowded and relatively more impersonal, so I preferred getting my monitoring done in Bethesda. I had an amazing nurse in Bethesda and am mortified that I cannot remember her name!...Only once I was waiting for results on my beta HCG when I had a pregnancy that did not seem to be progressing. They were going to call me with the results before I left for a vacation but I did not hear from them.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
He was personable.
Describe the protocols Preston Sacks used in your cycles at Columbia Fertility Associates and their degree of success.
I myself wanted to do unmediated IUI to start since I had a good HSG, good ovarian reserve and was 34 years old. I did 5 rounds. Then I went medicated with a trigger shot and Clomid. I had a miscarriage on my second medicated IUI. I had two more miscarriages with medicated IUI. Then I went for the gonadatropins but the change in protocol was at my request. I did not get pregnant on any IUI with gonadatropins. At this point I decided to change doctors and take a break!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Lorna)
There are many nurses at CFA but Lorna was particularly excellent and compassionate during one of my miscarriages that was treated as a possible ectopic pregnancy and was thus resolved with methotrexate.
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates.
I did only IUI with Dr Sacks. I will have to go back to my records to look at the price for unmedicated but the fee for medicated was around $1000 per cycle not including meds.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia Fertility Associates?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia Fertility Associates.
2004 - 2011, Successful
Felt that Sacks ( who I love) still spent too much time looking at the numbers and not at ME...Sacks is caring but with me at least, was not as creative or thoughtful as he could have been. It took me three years to get pregnant and I felt more like he was following his standard playbook than thinking through what I really needed. I finally did some of my own research and after 3 years of trying, I suggested I should be on Metformin. Given my history of PCOS this seemed like an obvious choice and he was not especially receptive when I suggested it.
Staff [at Columbia Fertility] was outstanding - compassionate, thoughtful, clear, encouraging. fabulous...Sacks is caring but with me at least, was not as creative or thoughtful as he could have been. It took me three years to get pregnant and I felt more like he was following his standard playbook than thinking through what I really needed...Felt that Sacks ( who I love) still spent too much time looking at the numbers and not at ME.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
Sacks is caring but with me at least, was not as creative or thoughtful as he could have been. It took me three years to get pregnant and I felt more like he was following his standard playbook than thinking through what I really needed. I finally did some of my own research and after 3 years of trying, I suggested I should be on Metformin. Given my history of PCOS this seemed like an obvious choice and he was not especially receptive when I suggested it. But we did try it and I was pregnant within 6 weeks. A miracle!
Push to see him directly (as opposed to just reviewing your data) and encourage him to review your chart beyond the numbers. I was just within the range of normal in several categories so he never identified me as a candidate for different treatment. But in retrospect, the aggregation of these data points created a very different picture when put all together.
I eventually succeeded with a drug that I found through my own research. Felt that Sacks ( who I love) still spent too much time looking at the numbers and not at ME.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Columbia Fertility Associates.
Staff was outstanding - compassionate, thoughtful, clear, encouraging. fabulous
Bethesda

2013, Unsuccessful
I truly felt that Dr. Sacks cared about his patients... We ultimately did not cycle with him because we were unbelievably frustrated with our inability to get him to return phone calls in a timely manner, and the ineptitude of the billing department.
Be forewarned that the admin and billing department can be very frustrating and this added frustration will come with an already emotionally trying and time consuming process.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
Dr. Sacks was recommended by my OB/GYN. During our initial visits, he was very pleasant and informative. We ultimately did not cycle with him because we were unbelievably frustrated with our inability to get him to return phone calls in a timely manner, and the ineptitude of the billing department.
I truly felt that Dr. Sacks cared about his patients. We did not initiate a cycle with him because we did not feel the team around him was the right fit for us.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia Fertility Associates?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia Fertility Associates.
I had a very bad experience with a fellow doctor in the clinic who failed to call me with his review of an HSG test and then when he did reach did not give an accurate picture of what they meant.
2010 - 2011, Unsuccessful
[Dr.] Sacks has a huge ego and when we mentioned we wanted to see Dr David in NY about immunological issues and adjunct alternative care, Sacks flipped out and was very rude to us. He is a good doc, but the ego comes with, and he is closed to immunological issues.
The [Columbia] office staff could care less about patients...if you are 42 or over, go to NY. DC labs can't handle older eggs. Check the SART stats to confirm my statement.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
Dr. sacks is one of the best in DC. I would probably send people to Dr. Abbasid instead since she does immunological issues. Two big problems here: sacks has a huge ego and when we mentioned we wanted to see Dr David in NY about immunological issues and adjunct alternative care, Sacks flipped out and was very rude to us. A very bad experience. Second, if you are 42 or over, go to NY. DC labs can't handle older eggs. Check the SART stats to confirm my statement.
See Dr. Abbasi instead, or prep yourself for a big ego and stupid, irrelevant conversations about restaurants and the fancy private club Sacks belongs to.... He is a good doc, but the ego comes with, and he is closed to immunological issues. Also, he thought I had a blocked tube while two other docs looking at the same photos disagreed with.
The office staff could care less about patients. The doctor was good at first. Not later.