7.3

Preston Sacks works at

2440 M Street NW
Washington, DC 20037

2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Preston Sacks] did a number of tests when I first started working with him to confirm I didn't have various fertility issues. Then after it was decided I had unexplained infertility, we moved to IUI...Very warm, personable. Remembers details about my work and background. Takes the time during consults to explain, but also talk about light things to ease my mind...I've really enjoyed being a patient of Dr. Sacks. He is warm, straightforward and optimistic about my chances of having a child. He has answered all my questions and taken us through what feels like a logical progression of fertility testing and treatments.
The nurses staff are mostly wonderful [at Columbia Fertility Associates]. They are supportive, organized, and kind. My one complaint is completely understanding the timing after I leave. Some nurses are much more thorough in calling and telling me all of my blood counts, when I should start clomid and when I should plan on coming back in. My guess is that they explain a lot of these things on a daily basis many times and sometimes forget whether they've explained the why behind a treatment or schedule to me. I think it's important for all patients to try to repeat back their understanding to help gain clarity.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
No advice for Dr. Sacks. I have advice for the nurses.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
Describe the protocols Preston Sacks used in your cycles at Columbia Fertility Associates and their degree of success.
To be honest, I don't remember all the treatment strategies and protocols and I have been seeing him for over two years with a year break in between. He did a number of tests when I first started working with him to confirm I didn't have various fertility issues. Then after it was decided I had unexplained infertility, we moved to IUI. I go into the clinic when my period starts for blood work and a transvaginal ultrasound. Then I've started clomid shortly after, taken a trigger shot, and had an IUI. Still working with him.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Columbia Fertility Associates.
The nurses staff are mostly wonderful. They are supportive, organized, and kind. My one complaint is completely understanding the timing after I leave. Some nurses are much more thorough in calling and telling me all of my blood counts, when I should start clomid and when I should plan on coming back in. My guess is that they explain a lot of these things on a daily basis many times and sometimes forget whether they've explained the why behind a treatment or schedule to me. I think it's important for all patients to try to repeat back their understanding to help gain clarity.
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
I LOVE the woman who draws blood at this clinic. It doesn't hurt, she's so nice, and she's very efficient. If I just need to go in for bloodwork, I can be in and out in 5 minutes. The front desk staff are polite and I've also found the billing staff to be helpful and polite. There's also usually some parking available on the street, which is nice. And I appreciate that they open at 7:30 am so that I can go in for treatment before the workday starts. No need to sneak out at lunch from the office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates.
An IUI without insurance costs $1,620 plus copay and medications.

2009 - 2018, Unknown Success
All of my issues are with the finance department [at Columbia-DC]. The are extremely unorganized and seem to be all over the place. On several occasions I was told to expect a call back and did not receive one for days at a time. After following up myself, I would find out there was no action done. It's extremely frustrating when you're paying for a portion or all of your procedures and still have to deal with rude people.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
I started with Preston Sacks prior to TTC. He was always forthcoming with results and painted clear pictures of the obstacles to come. He is very easy to talk to and was very responsive to emails. Early on he determined that the issue was a male factor and referred us to one of his colleagues. He even took the time to set expectations on what to expect when working with the specialist which was extremely comforting. When dealing with infertility, having information is very important as it reduces anxiety regarding the unknown. He was very thoughtful and honest at ever step.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Even if you think they are silly.
He was always open to listen to my concerns and answer any questions I have. He thoroughly explained every step of the process
We used clomid and timed intercourse for 3 cycles. When I didn't respond to clomid he used the step up method. After the 3 cycle, he ordered an SA for my husband. Upon the results he suggested IVF. Due to insurance/money issues we took a break.
The nurses that I encountered were extremely nice with perfect bedside manner. Even when they called to say the pregnancy test were negative they were very gentle. These ladies are gems.
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
The billing department is HORRIBLE. They have no problem informing you of a balance, yet are extremely slow providing information or answering questions. On several occasions I've had to follow up as well as get very stern. I'm not sure if they are understaffed or not good at their jobs. There are 2 women in particular I try to avoid at all cost. They are very brash and have somewhat of an attitude.
Competitive compared to other clinics
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia Fertility Associates.
All of my issues are with the finance department. The are extremely unorganized and seem to be all over the place. On several occasions I was told to expect a call back and did not receive one for days at a time. After following up myself, I would find out there was no action done. It's extremely frustrating when you're paying for a portion or all of your procedures and still have to deal with rude people.
Washington DC

He [Dr. Preston Sacks] was personable and friendly. I felt like we had a good relationship. I felt he listened to me, but sometimes I wasn't sure what the next step was and had to ask. He was easy to talk to during visits and was present for every one of them, which made it a little easier to come in... The backend administrative team is next to impossible to work with. Their financial team would call to harass me for payments, despite the fact that I had previously spoken to them to get further information about what I owed. They were impossible to get ahold of unless they called you, they wouldn't respond to or even check their emails, and typically didn't seem to know what was going on with your account.
The nursing staff [at Columbia Fertility Assoc-DC] was very hit or miss. Sometimes they were great -- there were one or two who were always helpful and trustworthy, but the weekend staff and the rest of the team seemed like they were completely overworked and under-resourced. It was sometimes painful having to deal with them and get appropriate information.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
He was personable and friendly. I felt like we had a good relationship. I felt he listened to me, but sometimes I wasn't sure what the next step was and had to ask. He was easy to talk to during visits and was present for every one of them, which made it a little easier to come in
Stay on top of your care and be honest with him. While I liked him as a doctor, the back end systems of his clinic are very messy and painful to work with at times.
Dr. Sacks made time to talk with me and my husband. He addressed our concerns and had an easy and personable manner. He was mindful of the fact that our budget was limited. He was present for every single monitoring session I had with the exception of 2 or 3 when he was on vacation during part of one cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
The nursing staff was very hit or miss. Sometimes they were great -- there were one or two who were always helpful and trustworthy, but the weekend staff and the rest of the team seemed like they were completely overworked and under-resourced. It was sometimes painful having to deal with them and get appropriate information. One time I went in for monitoring on a Sunday morning and was told I needed to trigger that day. The weekend nurse (not my usual one) promised she would call in the trigger shot to the pharmacy by 10am and then call me (since the pharmacy closed early on Sunday). By noon I still had not heard from her and I was frantically trying to call the on call team to get a call back from her. When I finally got ahold of her, she had confused me with another patient who also needed a trigger shot and had completely forgotten to call in mine. It all worked out in the end and we got the shot with an hour to spare, but it added much unnecessary stress and had I not been proactive, we would have missed out window. This is just one example of how the nursing staff was not always able to adequately serve patients. I don't completely blame them, as they all seemed lovely and competent, they just seemed to be put into a difficult work situation that leaves the patient at risk.
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
Dr. Sacks is great, but the clinic is a disaster. The backend administrative team is next to impossible to work with. Their financial team would call to harass me for payments, despite the fact that I had previously spoken to them to get further information about what I owed. They were impossible to get ahold of unless they called you, they wouldn't respond to or even check their emails, and typically didn't seem to know what was going on with your account. During my last cycle, I got a call asking to make a payment, and it seemed higher than what I was expecting, so I asked for an itemized invoice so that I could verify the charges. I was sent it and then responded to that email with questions, because it didn't look right. I also called the person back and left a voicemail. I sent a subsequent email to the same person two days later. When they finally called me one week later, they stated that they hadn't checked their email in that period of time and had no idea what my questions had been. It then took another few hours to work out and by the time I was done with paying for that last round I had decided I was also done with Columbia Fertility, despite the fact that I liked my doctor. Dealing with every other aspect of the clinic was just too stressful.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Columbia Fertility Associates.
Usually a cattle call, would typically take anywhere from 20-45 minutes to get blood drawn and monitoring completed. Clinic seems understaffed and under-resourced.
Canceled cycle $2,000. Embryo Transfer approx $12,000, Egg Retrieval $10,000+
Describe Preston Sacks's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia Fertility Associates.
Dr. Sacks was open to whichever we wanted and had an appropriate conversation with us about our options.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia Fertility Associates.
The backend admin of this clinic is a nightmare. Its unfortunate because Dr. Sacks is great, but its very hard to work with the rest of his team. It seems like this this clinic is severely under-resourced and mis-managed no matter how good their doctors are. It needs some serious management changes.

2014 - 2017, Successful
He's [Dr. Preston Sacks] very chatty and personable, which helped put me at ease during a number of procedures. One example: Before my egg retrieval, the nurse had trouble getting the IV started and I ended up passing out. I was very nervous about whether it would affect what happened that day, but he came in and immediately put me at ease, shared stories about himself passing out, etc.! He also remembered personal details about me in a really thoughtful way that I think went above and beyond.
The nurses at CFA are wonderful! I've been with them long enough that the nursing staff has changed, but everyone I've interacted with has been so helpful and compassionate. Some are responsive over email, though not all. But they have been extremely helpful at all stages of the process -- whether figuring out prescriptions, helping me get seen "off schedule" or rushing some blood work, or generally being understanding and compassionate and reassuring and friendly. I really feel like they are pulling for me and know me as an individual.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
I have been very happy with Dr. Sacks. He's been doing this a long time and really knows his stuff and knows the latest research, etc. He's always very responsive over email, which I really appreciate. And I have felt like overall he does a good job of balancing being realistic with being gentle. Like most fertility doctors, he's not overly emotional or super outwardly compassionate, but I always felt like he cared (he wasn't harsh) and also like he was telling me how it is (not sugar coating). He's often hesitant to give specific chances/percentages, but when he has them, he shares them. There have been a couple times where I wondered why he didn't suggest or say something different, but overall I have been very happy. He also has a really good, calming bedside manner. He's very chatty and personable, which helped put me at ease during a number of procedures. One example: Before my egg retrieval, the nurse had trouble getting the IV started and I ended up passing out. I was very nervous about whether it would affect what happened that day, but he came in and immediately put me at ease, shared stories about himself passing out, etc.! He also remembered personal details about me in a really thoughtful way that I think went above and beyond.
Be prepared for the fact that he's very chatty :)
Dr. Sacks and everyone at Columbia Fertility always made me feel like an individual. He (and they) always knew my name, remembered personal details about me (in a comforting, not creepy way) and I always felt like they were giving me advice based on who I was, not some standard. Dr. Sacks is very responsive over email and is very personable.
In summary: 6 natural IUIs with donor sperm; 1 cycle with Clomid where I had the bad side effect that affected my vision; 5 IUI cycles with Letrozole. That included an ectopic pregnancy (after an HSG test) and ultimately doing another HSG test and finding a blocked tube (likely from the ectopic). Then moved to IVF and egg retrieval followed by PGS/PGD. Resulted in two embryos. First resulted in a miscarriage. After that, did a bunch of tests via bloodwork to rule out immunological issues. As of this writing, six weeks pregnant from second FET.
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
Overall, I've been very happy with CFA and feel like I get much more personalized care and treatment than I hear about people getting with Shady Grove.
Monitoring is done between 7:30-9:30 and generally I found it to be pretty efficient. Some days I'd be out of there in 5 minutes, if all I needed was blood work and there weren't many people there. Other days, it might be more like 30 minutes or so, if it was more crowded and I needed blood work and a sonogram.
I did not have insurance coverage so it was very expensive. Natural IUIs were $500. Monitored IUIs were $1,000. Medicated IUIs were $1,500. IVF with FET was about $18,000 not including medication or the PGD testing, which added about $2,000. Just the FET was $3,500.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia Fertility Associates.
No, not really. I think just once I got slightly different information from a nurse and then a doctor about what the plan was for when I would come back to the office and what the protocol would be. It wasn't a huge deal.
Washington DC
While we're still in the midst of our treatment and have had several setbacks, including a recent miscarriage, Dr. Sacks has been empathetic and present throughout our entire time with him. He's always done our exams; our procedures; and been responsive to our emails/calls. After a very negative experience at another doctor's office, I have nothing bad to say about Dr. Sacks or his team.
My only complaint about Columbia has been their billing--there are some times that they ask for my co-pay, other times that they don't, and we get billed for three or four visits at a time, which can be frustrating...[Nurse] Heather is amazing--she's warm, positive, and always responsive. She has been a great resource over the course of our treatments...Dr. sacks is very empathetic--very patient and answered all our questions. When he delivered good or bad news, we've gotten it all, he was always responsive and always was the one we heard from.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
Come prepared with what you want to know, questions/concerns/etc.
for IVF: I was on 150 mL of Gonal F and 150 of Menopur (plus ganirelix) to stop ovulation. The first cycle, none of my embryos made it to blastocyst. Second cycle, Dr. Sacks didn't change my treatment (he said that he was happy with our response, so hopefully, we'd get a different batch of embryos) We got 10 embryos--3 made it to blastocyst--and after PGS, we got two back One was transferred, which subsequently ended in a miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
I found the experience to be efficient...I can get in and out in less than 30 minutes in the morning, before even going to work.
I couldn't tell with you with certainty--some things our insurance covered...we paid for drugs out of pocket, to save on our lifetime insurance maximum.
We asked Dr. Sacks for his recommendation--and he said one. So we went with one. He talked us through the risks of both.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia Fertility Associates.
I had one nurse tell me conflicting information about when to start my protocol--called Dr. Sacks to confirm and within 2 minutes, had the right answer. Another time, one of the other nurses forgot to call in a prescription to CVS, but they fixed the issue in a few hours.
2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Sacks was incredibly warm, concerned with our personal circumstances, straight with us in terms of managing our expectations but also helping us remain hopeful and not worry unnecessarily. He ALWAYS took the time to answe my questions thoroughly and also was extremely responsive by email the few times I had urgent concerns or questions...Dr. Sacks was incredibly warm, concerned with our personal circumstances, straight with us in terms of managing our expectations but also helping us remain hopeful and not worry unnecessarily. He ALWAYS took the time to answe my questions thoroughly and also was extremely responsive by email the few times I had urgent concerns or questions.
[Columbia - DC] Strengths -- more personable compared to larger clinics, excellent doctor, mostly great nurses, high frequency of seeing doctors, responsiveness of doctor and nurses by email, choir follow up / communicating test results and answering questions Weaknesses -- billing team is at times disorganized, difficult to contact to resolve question or their errors, and sometimes callous (calling to demand late peymebt even though bills were not mailed)
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
I can't recommend him highly enough. Dr. Sacks was extremely caring and thorough. He is very knowledgeable on all subjects related to fertility and was able to help us understand what was known by science and not known by science related to our particular circumstances. Sometimes he felt rushed at non critical visits, but if I initiated he was always available to answer questions. When it came time to handling difficult times/news with us, he was always patient and caring. Dr. Sacks also helped us avoid unnecessary procedures by helping us weigh the pros and cons of different options. I am so grateful that he was our doctor.
Be sure to ask all of your questions. He may seem rushed at times at routine visits (e.g. Ultrasounds) if the schedule is backed up, but he will always provide valuable answers to your questions. Also, he's very responsive by email.
Dr. Sacks was incredibly warm, concerned with our personal circumstances, straight with us in terms of managing our expectations but also helping us remain hopeful and not worry unnecessarily. He ALWAYS took the time to answe my questions thoroughly and also was extremely responsive by email the few times I had urgent concerns or questions. Dr. Sacks also took time out of his very busy schedule to attended the Bris of our son. He honestly came to feel like part of our family. We were definitely not numbers to him!
I started with Climid, then the off-label breast cancer drug (can't remember the name) combined with six IUIs, then two fresh IVF cycles. My first IVF cycle none of the eggs fertilized properly (initial failure then ICSI after 24 hours but none implanted). The second IVF cycle we did ICSI and had 7 embryos, one of which we implanted and gave us our beautiful baby boy! (I have PCOS but it seems, perhaps, that the issue was the egg-sperm interaction).
There was some variability with the bedside manor of the nurses. One in particular was extremely caring from the beginning. The others were better once my treatment got further along in the process (more intensive treatment). A few didn't study my chart carefully before talking with me, which I found annoying and also at time upsetting depending on the confusion. However, by in large the nursing care was good.
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
The early ones were strssful for me when I was new and leaning the system, and only one nurse seemed sensitive to this. Once I got the drill down, the monitoring visits were fine.
We had Fertility treatments covered by insurance, so it was the cost of the premium (I opened a secondary plan to cover IVF), copays, and some of the drugs for IUI
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia Fertility Associates.
The billing team billed insurance for a seventh IUI that I didn't have and was very unhelpful/rude in resolving the problem. I had to get the head nurse involve to help me fight with them, which ultimately worked. In the meantime I got a FRANTIC call from someone helping the billing team demanding that I give my credit card number to pay a thousand dollar bill or i would be sent to collections, even though I had not been sent a bill (by that time I was pregnant and no longer coming in to the clinic). They did a similar thing with my husband even though the error was on their side (he had requested sperm disposal and paid the remaining bill but their system didn't show it). The errors wouldn't be such an issue if their main billing person, Kim, was more responsive or less rude.
Washington DC
Dr. Sacks personally responded to my emails and phone calls and was always available for appointments. I only met with nurses and other support staff after discussing my care directly with Dr. Sacks... Dr. Sacks recommended a conservative approach.... He worked closely with me to develop a treatment plan and communicated every step in language I could understand. He gave his opinion frankly, but was kind and supportive.
As mentioned before, the nursing team [at Columbia] could be more professional and better trained. Thankfully, Dr. Sacks was easily accessible and perhaps aware of the nursing staff's deficiencies, so my care did not suffer, but the staff should be reliable as they interact closely with patients...It did not feel like a cattle call. There were other patients present in the waiting room, obviously, but I never felt rushed.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
Dr. Sacks has an excellent bedside manner and treats patients as if he is personally invested in their well-being and success. He worked closely with me to develop a treatment plan and communicated every step in language I could understand. He gave his opinion frankly, but was kind and supportive.
Be honest and open to honesty
Dr. Sacks personally responded to my emails and phone calls and was always available for appointments. I only met with nurses and other support staff after discussing my care directly with Dr. Sacks. Any problems I had were resolved personally by Dr. Sacks. I never felt like a number or just another patient. He has an excellent bedside manner and treats patients as if he is personally invested in their well-being and success.
Because of my favorable initial testing, Dr. Sacks recommended a conservative approach. We began with unmedicated IUIs (3 chemical pregnancies, 3 negative tests) and progressed to IVF--for insurance coverage reasons--with low-dose medications (9 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized, 4 frozen embryos, eSET) which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Dr. Sacks helped me overcome my reluctance to medicated IUIs (1 negative, 1 positive), the second of which resulted in a vanishing twin and birth of a singleton.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Julianna)
I had a mixed experience. Care was far from terrible, but I often had to go directly to Dr. Sacks for confirmation and follow up of details as communication from the nursing staff was inconsistent and sometimes inaccurate. One of the nurses in particular was not well informed and almost caused me to cancel a cycle unnecessarily.
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
As mentioned before, the nursing team could be more professional and better trained. Thankfully, Dr. Sacks was easily accessible and perhaps aware of the nursing staff's deficiencies, so my care did not suffer, but the staff should be reliable as they interact closely with patients.
About $16,000 in totol
Because of my strong aversion to having twins, Dr. Sacks advised an eSET, which proved to be the right choice as I still conceived twins (one vanishing at 8 weeks).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia Fertility Associates.
As mentioned, I had to go directly to Dr. Sacks on a few occasions as the information conveyed by nurses was inaccurate or incomplete. There was one occasion when a nurse attempted to act unilaterally and it was only through my close interaction with Dr. Sacks that I was able to keep my treatment on course.

2011 - 2015, Successful
Investor
We came to Dr. Sacks after our third 10 week miscarriage within 20 months. He listened to our history and spent hours discussing options and treatment... He remained engaged, thoughtful, and empathetic throughout the next 6 cycles of IVF to retrieve eggs and create enough embryos to test via PGD. He discussed every step in detail; shared studies; and introduced me to my therapist - we even laughed along the way.
Washington Fertility Associates - the clinic - is a bit chaotic and you must actively manage your care - but it's all worth it for Dr. Sacks!! The nurses that work directly with Dr. Sacks both in the examination room and in the procedure theater are great - compassionate, helpful, knowledgeable. Unfortunately, when it comes to ordering your meds, tracking your bills, and basic information the nurse coordinator and the financial coordinator must be heavily managed.
See earlier comment
He is incredibly knowledgeable and up to date with the latest research; therefore I would not hesitate to engage him and ask as many questions as necessary to make you feel comfortable.
Dr. Sacks is fantastic! We received and currently receive first rate care. We came to Dr. Sacks after our third 10 week miscarriage within 20 months. He listened to our history and spent hours discussing options and treatment. Due to insurance, we had to try an IUI prior to moving to IVF, although we knew it was an egg quality (chromosomal) issue. Dr. Sacks negotiated the insurance down from 3 to 1 IUI. However, 21 weeks into the pregnancy, the amnio revealed fatal chromosomal abnormalities. We made the decision to end the pregnancy. After that horrific experience, Dr. Sacks was simply amazing! He remained engaged, thoughtful, and empathetic throughout the next 6 cycles of IVF to retrieve eggs and create enough embryos to test via PGD. He discussed every step in detail; shared studies; and introduced me to my therapist - we even laughed along the way. We now have a 7 month old incredible little girl and are just about to return to transfer one of the two male embryos we have frozen. Washington Fertility Associates - the clinic - is a bit chaotic and you must actively manage your care - but it's all worth it for Dr. Sacks!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Wendy Hemingway)
Monitoring is easy - everyday from 730-900 and the wait is not that long.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia Fertility Associates.
Most of the issues are specifically related to the nurse coordinator; therefore as long as you are your own advocate and on top of your protocol, this clinic will be great since Dr. Sacks and the rest of the nursing staff is fantastic!
2012 - 2015, Successful
The billing at Columbia Fertility was a mess, I had a lot of back and forth to ensure that I was billed appropriately for a frozen cycle - the first cycle was cancelled and then I did another back-to-back, so there was a lot of items that had to be "credited" before I paid for the real cycle. They seemed to never remember a phone conversation I had with them, so it was like starting from scratch each time. The billing office was fine when dealing with the insurance company though. The people at the front desk who I saw each day/week were all lovely.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
I want lots of clear information about process and pros and cons of any options, to help me make decisions. Dr Sacks took tons of time to explain all of the treatment options we had to choose from, why he recommended IVF over IUI and what was a reasonable success rate. When deciding on how many embryos to transfer, he spoke to my husband at length about the statistical possibilities of multiple embryos leading to multiple births from an educated, well versed position. He was supportive of all of our decisions. He had a great sense of humor and brought levity to the tense medical procedures. Two years after a successful IVF cycle, I emailed Dr Sacks out of the blue to ask him to participate on an educational panel to teach people about fertility treatment and options and he jumped at the opportunity to help out - on a Sunday! He is an all-around great doctor and person.
Try to get him talking about his personal life or his kids :)
Dr. Sacks knew me and my husband and took the time to talk to us during our consultation and during each monitoring appointment. He was warm and friendly. He even saw me on the street (fully clothed!) and stopped to talk.
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
Monitoring was in the morning, but always made me a little late to work. I think hours started at 730am
A frozen cycle was $5K plus a mandatory $500ish for cracking the embryo. I can't remember the full fresh cycle from 2012.
Dr Sacks recommended transferring 1 embryo due to my age and the way the embryo looked. He would have been ok if we wanted to do 2. He spoke at length to my statistics-expert husband about the rates of success with one or two embryos.

2013 - 2014, Successful
Dr. Sacks was the only doctor that treated me like my issue was important. He tested every hormone under the sun until he figured out the issue...He tested everything and finally found the issue with my pcos. It was a hormone imbalance. ...He was by the book. Started with clomid and then moved to injections. He didnt linger. If it wasn't yielding results he looked for he had no problem moving on to something else which is what i liked
Because they [Colmbia] are in high demand it can be crowded but its a peaceful place. Getting an appointment is easy and everyone is compassionate...He [Dr. Sacks] didnt linger. If it wasn't yielding results he looked for he had no problem moving on to something else which is what i liked...Dr. Sacks was the only doctor that treated me like my issue was important. He tested every hormone under the sun until he figured out the issue...He tested everything and finally found the issue with my pcos.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
He tested everything and finally found the issue with my pcos. It was a hormone imbalance. He prescribed a medication and after about 7 months my period became regular. He started off with a low dose to gradually bring on change. My period was on time and fantastic for the first time in 18 years. He did a uterine xray to check for blockage which no one ever did before. And with that info we talked about what was best. He started with clomid slowly increasing the dosage, then injections. After no success I took a break for about a year. I went back to him in 2014 and we picked up right were we left off. We did clomid, and he did a uterine xray. things were still the same and then boom pregnant on first cycle back. He monitored me for the first 8 weeks and then I left. He is AMAZING
Have patience. He is knowledgeable and kind. This is a long process and frustrating at times. He will be there to walk you through it and keep you hopeful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
I just remember her first name (Julia) but she was amazing.
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
The only issue I have is location. I would love for them to open up an location in Maryland. Because they are in high demand it can be crowded but its a peaceful place. Getting an appointment is easy and everyone is compassionate
Minimal. My shots were covered ( i paid $75) and my clomid was covered. I paid a typical copay of $20
2009 - 2012, Successful
Dr. Sacks was responsive and attentive. He has a great bedside manner; he's caring but straightforward. His staff didn't always communicate very well, though he responded quickly whenever I raised concerns.
I trust Dr. Sacks more than I trusted his nurses [at Columbia Fertility Associates], so I would stay in close touch with him and always double[check] directions...I thought the nurse gave very confusing directions leading up to the transfer.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
I thought he was great. I trusted his judgment and always found him to be very responsive. He gave us his email address and always followed up quickly on any questions or concerns. I had several miscarriages before we saw him and now have two healthy children.
I trust Dr. Sacks more than I trusted his nurses, so I would stay in close touch with him and always doubleck directions.
The nurse assigned to me for our first child was very good and seemed to be on the ball. I went through two other embryo transfers and had a mixed experience. For our last embryo transfer, which did not work, I thought the nurse gave very confusing directions leading up to the transfer. When I raised concerns with her, she was a little cold.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia Fertility Associates.
We harvested eggs once then transferred embryos three times, two of which resulted in healthy pregnancies. For the final process using our last frozen embryo I thought the nurse gave confusing instructions, which made me very nervous leading up the procedure about whether I had followed the right protocol. I raised the concerns with the nurse, who was a little cold, then with Dr. Sacks, who was very responsive.

2007 - 2011, Successful
I had an overall great experience with Dr. Sacks. He is very knowledgeable, sympathetic and a great communicator. CFA and Dr. Sacks was first recommended to me by another single mothers by choice (SMCs) in the DC area for his single-mom friendly attitude...We tried 6 or 7 IUIs (few last ones were medicated) and then moved on to IVFs...Dr. Preston Sacks has a very warm and SMC-friendly personality. He was very personal and sympathetic during the treatment and is a great doctor!
This was over seven years ago, so things might have changed now, but CFA [Columbia Fertility Associates] was known for great doctors and a not very strong admin team...They thawed my frozen embryo for a transfer once - but for a wrong date. They refroze it, apologized profusely and refunded costs of that cycle to me. We still went ahead with the cycle as scheduled and transferred that frozen-thawed-frozen-thawed embryo, but that cycle didn't work.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
I had an overall great experience with Dr. Sacks. He is very knowledgeable, sympathetic and a great communicator. CFA and Dr. Sacks was first recommended to me by another single mothers by choice (SMCs) in the DC area for his single-mom friendly attitude. I had a very positive experience with Dr. Sacks.
I have no advice...
Frankly, I don't remember the protocols as my daughter is 7 years old now. We tried 6 or 7 IUIs (few last ones were medicated) and then moved on to IVFs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia Fertility Associates.
I spent almost two years trying to conceive, so had several nurses during that period. I was happy with all of them.
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
This was over seven years ago, so things might have changed now, but CFA was known for great doctors and a not very strong admin team.
Oh, I don't remember anymore as I had a good insurance at that time and they did help me navigate it.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Sacks is not a big believer in overwhelming the body with a large amount of fetility drugs. A set drug regimen hoping to obtain a small amount of good quality eggs over a large batch of low quality eggs is the goal...Dr. Sacks shares his knowledge of both the IUI and IVF process. He is straight forward and does not require additional procedures if they are not needed. He takes his time and understands this is a frustrating and stressful undertaking for his patients...Dr. Sacks has taken the time to explain everything throughout the cycle process. I was never left with unanswered questions...
The staff [at Columbia Fertility Associates - DC] will try to get each patient through the morning walk-ins for ultrasound and blood work in a decent time frame...Both [nurse] Heather and Sarah explained the process each time. They would share if any of the pharmacies had a sale of the fertility medications because everything adds up in cost...So far I've spend roughly $45.000 on treatments. An additional $8,000 on medications and $6,000 of donor sperm...
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
If having a child is truly your goal, have patience and understand the road may be (really) long but so worth the process when rewarded with a child.
I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility after trying to have a second child. Dr. Sacks is not a big believer in overwhelming the body with a large amount of fetility drugs. A set drug regimen hoping to obtain a small amount of good quality eggs over a large batch of low quality eggs is the goal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Heather and Sarah)
Both Heather and Sarah explained the process each time. They would share if any of the pharmacies had a sale of the fertility medications because everything adds up in cost.
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
The staff will try to get each patient through the morning walk-ins for ultrasound and blood work in a decent time frame.
2014, Unsuccessful
Dr Sacks was wonderfully, understanding, and hopeful....He agreed to try one more IUI and it worked! We are thankful that he steered us in this direction, and didn't just let us go ahead with IVF (which is much more profitable). He has always been attentive and confident that we would be able to have a baby, and always suggested what would be best for us.
[Dr. Sachs] is also extremely accessible via email and I always had positive experience with his nurses and the rest of the hospital staff. We would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Sacks and Columbia Fertility and would use them again in a heartbeat (but are hoping we don't have to!)...We went in to talk to Dr. Sacks about moving forward with IVF, and he suggested we try one more IUI, as they like to try 3 times before moving onto something else.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
I'm actually 16 weeks pregnant now - our 3rd IUI with Dr. Sacks worked! My husband and I had originally agreed to try IUI twice before moving onto IVF (which I'm sure you know has a much higher success rate). We went in to talk to Dr. Sacks about moving forward with IVF, and he suggested we try one more IUI, as they like to try 3 times before moving onto something else. We agreed to try one more IUI and it worked! We are thankful that he steered us in this direction, and didn't just let us go ahead with IVF (which is much more profitable). He has always been attentive and confident that we would be able to have a baby, and always suggested what would be best for us. He is also extremely accessible via email and I always had positive experience with his nurses and the rest of the hospital staff. We would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Sacks and Columbia Fertility and would use them again in a heartbeat (but are hoping we don't have to!)
You're in good hands!
Dr Sacks was wonderfully, understanding, and hopeful.

2014, Successful
Because he [Dr. Sacks] always took the time to talk, and worked within my natural cycle instead of pumping me full of hormones so I could be on his schedule... He clearly knows his stuff, and is confident in his work. We trusted him. The only thing is that he talks a whole lot!
I only had to wait once or twice. VERY efficient... I thought she [our nurse] was cold and disinterested. Other nurses were fantastic... he [Dr. Sacks] always took the time to talk, and worked within my natural cycle instead of pumping me full of hormones so I could be on his schedule.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
be patient with his chitchat
Because he always took the time to talk, and worked within my natural cycle instead of pumping me full of hormones so I could be on his schedule.
I don't remember but we only had to do one cycle and it was extremely successful
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Wendi)
I thought she was cold and disinterested. Other nurses were fantastic
I only had to wait once or twice. VERY efficient.
I believe we paid 20% (insurance paid 80%)

2013 - 2014, Successful
Dr. Sacks listened to what I had to say and was completely realistic with treatment options - he did not encourage me to proceed with treatments that were unnecessary. He gave me his email address which was wonderful and he personally responded to emails!...
You will not see him at every visit [at Columbia - DC], but trust that the nurses know what they are doing...
You will not see him at every visit, but trust that the nurses know what they are doing.
My treatment was very limited. I took chlomid and he monitored my ovaries during the process so that we timed intercourse correctly. It was very easy and worked!
2015 - 2020, Successful
I believe that Dr. Sacks applies treatment strategies and protocols on an individualized basis...With me, he measured my AMH for several years and kept track of my fertility. When I felt ready to start treatments he presented various options to me (IUI, IUI with chlomid, IVF) and which were better suited to me. I followed his advice completely and became pregnant quickly...is an incredible, warm, kind and knowledgeable physician. Throughout the many years that he has been my doctor he has always treated me with respect and compassion. He has a positive attitude and a realistic outlook. He always takes the time to explain any procedures, possible outcomes and risks. I feel very fortunate to be under his care. I can tell that his staff like him and rely on his expertise as well. As a result of his treatment, I became pregnant.
The clinic [Columbia Fertility Associates] is very well located, center of DC and clean. The staff is very professional and accommodating for appointments. I found the nursing staff to be knowledgeable and quick to respond to emails and questions...I had an excellent experience as a patient of Doctor Sacks. He is kind and knowledgeable and caring. He always takes the time necessary to address any concerns and possible outcomes. I have always felt very informed and heard. My impression is that his experience is not simply limited to infertility issues, but general health and well-being of his patients. He really cares, there is no doubt.
How was your experience with Preston Sacks at Columbia Fertility Associates?
You can trust Dr. Sacks. He has your best interest at heart.
Dr. Sacks is an incredible, warm, kind and knowledgeable physician. Throughout the many years that he has been my doctor he has always treated me with respect and compassion. He has a positive attitude and a realistic outlook. He always takes the time to explain any procedures, possible outcomes and risks. I feel very fortunate to be under his care. I can tell that his staff like him and rely on his expertise as well. As a result of his treatment, I became pregnant.
I believe that Dr. Sacks applies treatment strategies and protocols on an individualized basis. I feel this way because I know several women who have been treated by him, each with different needs and constitutions, and each were treated according to those needs. With me, he measured my AMH for several years and kept track of my fertility. When I felt ready to start treatments he presented various options to me (IUI, IUI with chlomid, IVF) and which were better suited to me. I followed his advice completely and became pregnant quickly.
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
The clinic is very well located, center of DC and clean. The staff is very professional and accommodating for appointments. I found the nursing staff to be knowledgeable and quick to respond to emails and questions.
It was covered by my insurance