Medical SchoolU. of South Carolina
703.876.0735
13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192
703-680-1770
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Rachana Garde to a friend?

4.4

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage
Doctor Garde is one of the most patient and understanding doctors I have ever meet in my life. She is so nice and always loving and caring, more then willing to help or get me help. I could not have made a better choice in a doctor ever.... She is always very good at coming up with a plan and always making sure me and my husband are comfortable. She is very good at listening concerns and always will to try and coming up with a solution.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Doctor Garde is wonderful I can't believe how understanding and patience she is with me. I'm a strong person and even Dr.Garde has a was of bring the best out of a tuff day. She is always very good at coming up with a plan and always making sure me and my husband are comfortable. She is very good at listening concerns and always will to try and coming up with a solution. There are no words to describe her she is one of the best doctors I have ever had. Doctor Garde is truly my blessings and I can't wait to continue our journey. I truly believe that if any Doctor can help me with having a little angel it would be Doc.Garde.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be honest, trust her judgment and everything will just fine. Trust that she always has your best interest at heart.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Doctor Garde is one of the most patient and understanding doctors I have ever meet in my life. She is so nice and always loving and caring, more then willing to help or get me help. I could not have made a better choice in a doctor ever. There are no words to describe the kind of doctor Dr.Garde is I'm more then happy to call her my doctor. She is a true blessing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rachel Kelly)
Daniell Kelly is the best ever ❤️❤️ I was so sad when I got my new nurse I cried. I will truly miss Danielle Kelly
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The team here is very good. Patience, understanding and effective. Your comfort and emotions are always taken into consideration. Making sure that you're comfortable and you understand is always key.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility.
I'm a self pay so paying was not a problem. I was always told how much my next appointment payment would be. Most of the time it's a estimate price.
Fairfax

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility.

1 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Garde was very sweet and caring I wish she would have performed my procedures and that I actually saw her and not just communicate over the phone. I didn’t feel the personalized experience that I had expected....Dr Garde put me on very high dosages of medication due to quote, my age. I took 450 iu Gonal F, 150 iu Menopur, Cetrotide, and 10000 HCG. I hyper stimulated my first retrieval and was in extreme pain for a month. The next cycle she change my trigger to Lipton and my ovulation was delayed so she switched me back to HCH for my third cycle.
1 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Garde was very sweet and caring I wish she would have performed my procedures and that I actually saw her and not just communicate over the phone. I didn’t feel the personalized experience that I had expected. I would go in to the office twice a week sometimes three and I never got a warm and fuzzy from the staff. I had to contact a supervisor on one of the nurses because she was being very insensitive. I also had a hard time dealing with the fact that they allowed children to attend appointments.
Demand to have one doctor do all of your procedures instead of a different doctor each time.
I only spoke with my dr over the phone she did not do any of my retrievals. I also felt that my treatment plan was not customized to my specific needs.
Describe the protocols Rachana Garde used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Andrea Williams)
I had a wonderful nurse. She was very thoughtful and provided me information in a timely matter. She was always available to answer any of my questions. She prayed for and with me. She wanted this to happen for me just as much as I did.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They were not personal they treated you like a number. I saw a different person every time I went in for an appointment, no consistency. They allowed children to the appointments which I thought was insensitive to those struggling to conceive. They were very accommodating to scheduling last minute appointments.
12,500 plus HCG and monitoring cost $700
Describe Rachana Garde's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I do not

IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr. Guarde is excellent in person and on the phone, and very relatable. My concerns are that she never informed me in advance when she would be unavailiable.....she was on vacation or otherwise not working during two of my three "own egg" transfers, which was very upsetting to discover in the moment... She was always very supportive, but I feel like almost too gentle without providing solid recommendations for the next step, ie when to move on to donor egg.
IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Garde is very personable and relatable, and is the only woman that practices at the clinic I was at. In hindsight she was a little too optimistic and her hopes for a pregnancy with my own eggs ended up costing me a lot more than I thought I would expend to get pregnant, finally only having a viable pregnancy through donor egg (and two separate donors at that). I only saw her in person twice, once for my initial consult and once during an early ultrasound with my first pregnancy. The rest of the time all comms came through the nurse. I did have several phone calls with Dr. Garde to discuss the outcome of my miscarriages and the way ahead. She was always very supportive, but I feel like almost too gentle without providing solid recommendations for the next step, ie when to move on to donor egg.
Ask her the hard questions, because she will not tell you unless you ask. If you ask, she's very forthcoming.
I did 3 cycles using an "antagonist" protocol, each with increasing doses of menopur and gonal F. My first cycle rendered the most eggs and embryos, but none of the cycles ever ended up producing a PGS-testable "blastocyst" and so embryos were implanted without testing, resulting in miscarriage or BNF. First cycle implanted 3 embryos resulting in week 11 miscarriage. Second cycle implanted 2 embryos resulting in week 7 twin miscarriage. Third cycle implanted 2 embryos resulting in BNF. Dr. Garde never explained the rationale behind the protocol or the increase in dosage or why she didn't want to use a different protocol. After the third cycle I moved on to donor egg.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ashley (forget last name))
Ashley was very caring and supportive when providing the results of my blood tests.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Fertility is very much a baby making factory that is interested in outcomes and not so much the care and treatment of the individual. But they get results....they just might not be the results you hoped for (pregnancy via donor egg instead of your own eggs) and the way you hoped (seeing your doctor verses the "on call" doctor).
I was a self-paying patient (no insurance coverage) and was provided a 25% discount for being active duty military. First 2 cycles were purchased as a group for ~$17000 (with discount) and 3rd cycle was purchased separately for ~$12000.
We discussed very early on my desire for a singleton, but was convinced that due to advanced age that more embryos needed to be implanted, and my decision was helped because the embryos were not of freezable quality, so it was either implant or destroy, so I did the multiple embryo transfers.
Fairfax

Rachana was very informative and was able to answer any questions we had. She [Dr. Garde] was friendly, listened to put concerns and was supportive in our decisions whilst also advising on what she would recommend for our course of treatment and what testing was needed to track hormones abd other factors affecting our situation. ... We could not afford to switch to IVF so we cancelled the cycle without completing the IUI.
How was your experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Rachana was very informative and was able to answer any questions we had. She was friendly, listened to put concerns and was supportive in our decisions whilst also advising on what she would recommend for our course of treatment and what testing was needed to track hormones abd other factors affecting our situation.
Come prepared. She will ask what you know about your situation when you meet with her. Also don't be afraid to speak up for yourself and tell her what you want to happen.
She took time to answer questions and say down with me to explain when the treatment wasn't working and what our options were.
We decided on an IUI cycle because previous unmonitored clomid and letrozole cycles resulted in no pregnancy. The protocol started with letrozole 5mg for 5 days, followed by ultrasounds every 3 days. This disagree had no effect on follicle growth so she added Gonal-F 75IU injected once a day for 4 days followed by another ultrasound. There was still no follicle growth so the dose was increased to 150IU and continued for another 3 days. The next ultrasound also showed no change so Dr Garde then informed us that in order to increase the dose any more would need to switch to an IVF cycle in case of OHS and maturing too many follicles. We could not afford to switch to IVF so we cancelled the cycle without completing the IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Urben)
Ashley was so compassionate and understanding. It was like having a good friend walk you through everything. She celebrated with us and hugged me when I cried. Definitely the kind of nurse I wanted in that situation.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths: they are organized and have a plan for everything. The staff are all friendly and I like the fact that there are numerous offices so if one was closed you could go to another for monitoring. Weaknesses: the cost. It is so expensive that we couldn't ever consider spending $20k to do IVF there.
The cost for the IUI procedure was approx $3,500. We got a portion of that refunded because the cycle was cancelled. The medications totalled approx $1,500.
Woodbridge

Dr Garde is my primary RE. She may not perform every IUI or Egg retrieval, but she gets the information and makes the decisions and either she or her immediate staff contact me...She is very thorough and takes the time to explain the options and processes involved...She answers my questions in a down-to-earth manner and makes sure we understand what's going on and why.
How was your experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Garde is my primary RE. She may not perform every IUI or Egg retrieval, but she gets the information and makes the decisions and either she or her immediate staff contact me. She works for a clinic with multiple offices and RE's. She is very thorough and takes the time to explain the options and processes involved.
Be open about your situation and ask questions. Oh and take notes.
First 2 IUI's were with clomid. No pregnancies. Next 4 IUI's were with FSH and trigger shots. 1 pregnancy ended in miscarriage due to genetic problem. ER-rationale- age factor, need to move on from IUI. 2 egg retrievals. Both using FSH. 1st-2 embryos that were PGS tested as abnormal. 2nd-3 embryos have been sent for PGS testing. Awaiting results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
Nurse is very helpful and responsive. The rest of the office is as well.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths Multiple locations with varying hours. Open every day. 24 hr nurse line. They don't allow children, so that makes it more comfortable. Weaknesses On weekends I go to a different location, so it's not as personal as my primary location.
IUI's were covered by previous insurance. Insurance no longer covers infertility. Multi-cycle IVF pkg with ICSI and Assisted Hatching = $21,500. Does not include meds or PGS testing.
No comment

2009 - 2010
She [Dr Garde] always took plenty of time when me. I never felt like I was rushed. She answered every question I had and I never felt like a question was ignored....We traveled from another state because having a singleton was very important to us. Dr. Garde understood that. We did two cycles with her and she always adjusted the protocols as needed along the way.
2009 - 2010
How was your experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Garde was easy to talk to and she really attempted to get a feel for what was important to US.
Travel as far as you need to to see Dr. Garde!
She always took plenty of time when me. I never felt like I was rushed. She answered every question I had and I never felt like a question was ignored.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Every time we called Mary, she picked up the phone herself. We never had to leave messages with voicemail or with a receptionist. We had ONE nurse and she was easily accessible. That meant a lot to us.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
We traveled from out of state because we wanted to be at a clinic that helped people achieve singleton pregnancies. We felt that other clinics downplayed the risk of carrying twins (not just higher-order multiples). They were very used to working with out-of-state patients and we appreciated that.
Another reason we chose this clinic is because they had one of the most generous shared help plans in the country. We did misunderstand the plan (our fault) and did not use it the first cycle (although we had an income-based discount). If we had had a full understanding of the program, we would have ended up saving ourselves the cost of that one cycle.
Woodbridge

She [Dr. Garde] is a wonderful doctor, we dont see her much but when we do she gives all the information and answers any and all questions. Shes very polite and kind. She draws pictures to help us understand and stops along the way to make sure we dont have any questions...We used Clomid for 5 days, had 3 fertilized, this was expected. Then did ovidrell to trigger, then performed an IUI. Everything was perfect in terms of lining and eggs just unsuccessful
How was your experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is a wonderful doctor, we dont see her much but when we do she gives all the information and answers any and all questions. Shes very polite and kind. She draws pictures to help us understand and stops along the way to make sure we dont have any questions
Ask questions
The office talks to you about your job, in specific they ask questions. They pay attention to us like people. They laugh and have fun.
The nursing office at Shady grove is very welcoming. The nurse who takes your blood etc its wonderful! She talks to you shes gentle we love her. Our primary nurse is a little more busy so we dont see or talk to her much unless getting results.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady grove is a wonderful facility. They have support pages, they work with you financially and emotionally. The provide everything they can to you in order to help you on your journey, they have a ton of offices so you can go to different locations if needed.
For our first iui we spent 1800 not including medications which were a little over 200.
Fairfax
Understanding, patiently explained all treatment options, warm personality!
How was your experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Understanding, patiently explained all treatment options, warm personality!
She splits time between the Annandale and Woodbridge offices and isn't frequently available in Annandale. If it is important to you to actually SEE your doctor frequently, I'd recommend the other office location or selecting a different doctor.
Dr. Garde was able to explain my fertility issues and options for various treatments. She primarily works in another office (Woodbridge, I believe), so I often saw her colleagues instead.
Each cycle we added another element: Clomid only, Clomid + IUI, Clomid + Injectables + IUI
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sara)
The nurse would call the same day as any bloodwork and provide me an update on the results, including the actual estrogen, progesterone levels. Would help clarify next steps, including making appointments on my behalf.