Medical SchoolU. of Cincinnati
75 Francis Street
Boston, MA 02115
2014 Washington Street
Newton, MA 02462
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Rachel Ashby to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 19Neutral: 19.7
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Brigham & Women's Hospital to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 47Neutral: 13Don't recommend: 68.8
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
As a patient, I've had a good experience with Dr. Ashby, despite not being pregnant yet. She doesn't just spit out what we need to do, but talks to us and asks how we are doing during this whole process...Round 1 (birth control pills at beginning, started on follistim injections, then cetrotide injections and follistim injections. Post retrieval/transfer used crinone gel, medrol, estradiol) Round 2 (started on patch, then cetrotidge injections, then once I got my period again, I started on follistim and menipur injections, then added cetrotide injections. Post retrieval/transfer used crinone gel, medrol, estradiol) Round 3 Frozen (birth control pills at beginning, then estradiol, progesterone injections. Post transfer continued on progesterone injections and estradiol) Round 4 (lupron injections, then added follistim injections and then menipur injections. No fertilized eggs)
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby?
Ask lots of questions - don't be afraid.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
When my husband and I met with Dr. Ashby, she did not just spit out numbers and facts, she explained this and also asked how we were doing during our treatment. She also walked us through each failed cycle to explain what happened and what we would do differently for future cycles.
Describe the protocols Rachel Ashby used in your cycles and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Nancy, and the entire nursing staff are amazing. They were great at explaining the whole process as we were going through it. They always called me back when I left messages with tons of questions. They also helped me deal with a lot of back and forth insurance issues.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel Ashby.
My insurance covered 90% so we paid $1,000 up front for each round that we started. And then a few additional costs I think.
Newton
She [Dr. Rachel Ashby] personalized my care, and her team worked together to modify my IVF protocol to help me get pregnant. Also, I have a "unique" uterus that makes embryo transfers difficult. She placed a Malencot catheter in in me few a few days to make the transfer easier. My understanding is that this clinic is the only one in the country to do this. And it certainly helped make the next transfer easier. Also, I got pregnant!
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
She is an excellent practitioner with great bedside manners: She has skillfull hands and is part of a great team. She came to me recommend from several friends (all healthcare professionals). I will recommend her to all my friends who need fertility treatment. Also, as a plus...When I had a miscarriage, the whole office treated me with compassion and kindness.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby?
Ask her to clarify any terms/vocabulary that don't understand. People new to fertility treatment may find that the amount of information shared initially is very dense and overwhelming
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
She personalize my care, and her team worked together to modify my IVF protocol to help me get pregnant. Also, I have a "unique" uterus that makes embryo transfers difficult. She placed a Malencot catheter in in me few a few days to make the transfer easier. My understanding is that this clinic is the only one in the country to do this. And it certainly helped make the next transfer easier. Also, I got pregnant!
I did a low dose AB agonist protocol during the first cycle. While I got 18 eggs retrieved, we had lower fertization rates than expected. Also, the embryo transfer was very difficult because I have a tight cervical opening (which my Doctor hypothesized lead to my uterus to contract post transfer, and pushed my embryo into my Fallopian tube, and causing my ectopic pregnancy). After my failed cycle Dr. Ashby and her whole team met for a "cycle review" and suggested I do the same protocol, with the addition of Menapur, ICSI, and placement of a malencot catheter (to make the transfer easier). This resulted in 21 retrieved eggs, 6 five day blastocysts (they transfered one, and froze 5). The transfer was much more smooth, and I am happy to say we are now pregnant!
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Kelly is kind, knowledgeable, and communicates clearly and timely.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
We live very close to the Brigham and Women's hospital, so it is very convenient. All the doctors there (not only mine) are experts in the field. The clinic is clean, well maintained, and comfortable.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
Ultrasound and blood work monitoring was very streamlined and organized
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel Ashby.
My insurance covers 6 rounds of IVF, so I am unsure about actual costs. I paid $75 for all my meds and a $50 copay each cycle
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
She [Dr. Ashby] was open, compassionate and really took her time to explain my diagnosis and how we were going to move forward with a plan. I had 3 egg retrievals and 0 embryos from all 3 combined. I have Diminished Ovarian Reserve and outlook was looking bleak. She had the difficult conversation with me and my husband about exploring other options like donor eggs or adoption. This was very upseting to us but she gave us examples of couples she had treated in the past who were successful with donor eggs....
3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
Dr. Ashby always treated me like a friend. She was open, compassionate and really took her time to explain my diagnosis and how we were going to move forward with a plan. I had 3 egg retrievals and 0 embryos from all 3 combined. I have Diminished Ovarian Reserve and outlook was looking bleak. She had the difficult conversation with me and my husband about exploring other options like donor eggs or adoption. This was very upseting to us but she gave us examples of couples she had treated in the past who were successful with donor eggs. She never made me feel bad about my diagnosis and was always very positive and said that we will have a baby one day and she was going to help us get there one way or another. She had a gentle bedside manner but at the same time was always very candid with the reality of our situation. She never forced us to move forward with donor eggs. She explained she would continue to treat us and try another protocol but after 3 failed cycles, it wasn't looking good. She also recommended a 2nd opinion just so we could feel good about our decision moving forward.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby?
Trust her advice and opinions. She isn't super clinical but still explains the clinical side of fertility treatments. Ask lots of questions.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
I always felt as if Dr. Ashby had my best interest at heart. Her end goal is to ensure you have a healthy baby no matter how you get there. She was relatable in the sense that she had her own fertility struggles and explained what she went through to have children. She always explained things in a digestable way and always made time to answer as many questions as my husband and I had.
I don't remember the exact treatment plan but considering I have diminished ovarian reserve (at 35), I went through 3 very aggressive treatments.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Alison was my primary nurse when going through the donor egg process and she was OK. She wasn't the best I've ever dealt with. There were a few tests that she didn't tell me about that I needed. At the end of the day, she was fine, but I remember feeling frustrated at times dealing with her. there were a few tests/shots that she didn't tell me about which almost caused a set back with my embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
They always ran on time. I was always treated with respect. I always received prompt emails/test results/call backs after leaving messages.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
They were pretty efficient for the most part.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel Ashby.
My insurance covered the majority of the meds and procedure costs. I was lucky.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
I really appreciated Dr. Ashby's approach - very much "down to business". She clearly cared about how I/we were doing, but there was a game plan. I wanted results and Dr. Ashby was there to discuss what to do, when and how to get the results...For each appointment she was up-to-date on where I was in the process and ready to explain the next steps and why. She was very efficient, yet I felt that I had time to ask any questions I needed.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
I really appreciated Dr. Ashby's approach. I was working with another doctor before who was very knowledgeable but I felt was almost too timid in her strategy. Dr. Ashby was willing to be a little more aggressive and understand that I wanted results immediately. For each appointment she was up-to-date on where I was in the process and ready to explain the next steps and why. She was very efficient, yet I felt that I had time to ask any questions I needed.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby?
She moves fast and is down to business. If you need someone to go slowly and be a bit more nurturing, I am not sure if this would be the best fit. That said, I would never say Dr. Ashby doesn't care and/or is cold.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
I was on Letrozole to help me ovulate and then tried timed intercourse. The first round did not work. The second round we decided to do IUI and that worked! Another round of letrozole and follicle monitoring. There was question about whether or not I had too many mature follicles, but Dr. Ashby felt it was fine to proceed with IUI and I'm so thankful I did.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
It was not as organized as I would have liked it to be. I believe I sent a few emails that needed quicker responses and I had a massive billing situation that took a long time to work out that should never have been an issue.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think the clinic has good doctor's and being in the Brigham has access to great resources. I also think they are a business and their goal is to get people in and out (pregnant) so at times it feels a little too much like a factory. Overall, though, I had a good experience and I would (and am) going to go back.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel Ashby.
Insurance covered my treatments so I do not know exactly the costs.
Boston
Dr. Ashby is great - she has been through IVF herself so she is understanding as to what the experience is like. She also has been clear about procedures and expectations...She is very knowledgeable and will even call you on the phone if the wait to see her is too long. She works with a team which has its plusses and minuses. They brainstorm together which helps to come up with a good plan and they can compare experiences against a lot of other patients. It does sometimes feel weird, though, when you go in and have a different doctor do your transfer or retrieval. But I honestly don't mind, because I believe their team to be one of the best around.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
Dr. Ashby is fantastic - just because I have not yet gotten pregnant, I do not blame her. She is very knowledgeable and will even call you on the phone if the wait to see her is too long. She works with a team which has its plusses and minuses. They brainstorm together which helps to come up with a good plan and they can compare experiences against a lot of other patients. It does sometimes feel weird, though, when you go in and have a different doctor do your transfer or retrieval. But I honestly don't mind, because I believe their team to be one of the best around.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby?
I wish she could be more available to each patient, but I also know that she has a ton of patients.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
My first two retrievals we started medicine mid-cycle (so I waited until I ovulated and then we started a few days after that.) I apologize as I don't remember the names for all of these treatment strategies. The first cycle didn't produce as many eggs as the second, but neither was successful. I did not get a positive pregnancy test from either. For the third cycle, Dr. Ashby said she wanted to be more aggressive so we started medicine right after my period began. On that cycle, I produced 16 eggs which is great for someone my egg and we fertilized 13. Of those, there were 4 5-day blast embryos. I transferred two in a fresh cycle and then two in a frozen cycle. Again, I did not get positive pregnancy tests from either of those cycles, but I felt like we were headed in the right direction.
I feel like I know the nursing staff much better than the doctor team at this point because they are the ones you interact with every time you come in for blood testing or ultrasounds, etc. They were kind and supportive, much more emotionally present than the doctors. My one frustration is their contact/communication system which is to call and leave them a message and then you have to wait for a call back and you never know when that is coming. I feel like it would be so much easier to have an online message system - both for the nurses and patients.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The clinic is top-rated and I truly believe they are really on top of current research/knowledge etc. I have frustrations that you can't do embryo donation, but that is a Massachusetts thing and not a clinic thing. You do feel a bit like a cog in a machine at times, but that is because they are so successful that they attract so many patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel Ashby.
I have insurance coverage for the IVF cycles but I still had to make a copay of about $2,000. And the first cycle my pharmacy costs were around $900, but after that they were free.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
At the first appointment, me and my husband knew we were in great hands....Dr. Ashby gets right to the point, but does it with compassion....She is direct and knowledgeable, and gives her patients confidence that she is an absolute expert....For my IUI we used Gonal-F with ultrasound monitoring throughout, then an HCG trigger when follicles were ready....We had a complication very early on...The radiologists sent me to Dr. A's office and she saw us immediately...we were shocked and upset, but she and her staff were great.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
I saw Dr. Ashby at the recommendation of a family member who had a successful pregnancy with Dr. Ashby's help. At the first appointment, me and my husband knew we were in great hands. She is direct and knowledgeable, and gives her patients confidence that she is an absolute expert. She thought we would see great results with IVF but our insurance required us to try 3 IUIs with injectables before we could move on to IVF. I was disappointed since I really hoped to start IVF right away, but to everyone's surprise the first IUI worked! We had a complication very early on - when my first ultrasound was performed at 6w3d, it was discovered that my pregnancy was heterotopic, meaning that I had a viable pregnancy in my uterus and a second one in a fallopian tube. The radiologists sent me to Dr. A's office and she saw us immediately. She laid it on the line - I had a perfect embryo in the uterus but the ectopic needed to be removed immediately before it could rupture and put my life in danger. It was something seen more commonly with IVF but not unheard of for IUI patients. She felt that this procedure would not harm my viable pregnancy. Needless to say we were shocked and upset, but she and her staff were great. The moved us to a private room while they made surgery arrangements so we could process what was happening. One of her associates removed the fallopian tube that afternoon. A week later we had another ultrasound which showed a healthy heart still beating. The rest of pregnancy was uneventful and I had my healthy, perfect daughter.
Trust her!
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Dr. Ashby gets right to the point, but does it with compassion.
For my IUI we used Gonal-F with ultrasound monitoring throughout, then an HCG trigger when follicles were ready. This produced 2 mature follicles and several smaller ones.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Because I only had one medicated/monitored cycle, I didn't have a ton of interaction with Susan, but she got her job done adequately. When I emailed her to let her know I'd gotten a positive pregnancy test she got me set up right away for HCG testing. When she called me with my (very high) results she made me laugh when she said "well you're DEFINITELY pregnant, wow!"
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
This is a big hospital practice, so some may need to adjust their expectations surrounding this. The experience with the doctor will feel personal, but with the all the outside testing it is what it is - a big hospital without a lot of hand holding. I am personally fine with that, others prefer a different approach.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel Ashby.
It was covered by insurance so we paid very few out of pocket costs
2011 - 2015
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
She [Dr. Ashby] is the best and you could not ask for better medical and emotional care. I cannot say enough accolades about her! She answered every medical question thoroughly and appreciated that I had done my own research. I felt confident that I wasn't just a number and she cared and was willing to take risks on my drug cocktail to get better results. She even coordinated care for me while I was living abroad so I could come back to Boston for a FET...
2011 - 2015
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
I adore her. She is the best and you could not ask for better medical and emotional care. I cannot say enough accolades about her! She answered every medical question thoroughly and appreciated that I had done my own research. I felt confident that I wasn't just a number and she cared and was willing to take risks on my drug cocktail to get better results. She even coordinated care for me while I was living abroad so I could come back to Boston for a FET.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby?
She is very busy so use your time thoughtfully. Trust her. She will be candid with you and doesn't care about the stats for her patients. She wants the best result for everyone.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
She is amazing. So prompt with follow up including personal email and phone calls during her vacations. Spoke to the psychological side and not just medical. I am still in touch with her today even though our family is complete!
No lupron - antagonist cycle instead since I had had poor egg quality with lupron suppression. We also used some sort of "sweetener" to enhance egg quality. Used gonal f and ganirelix
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Susan is no nonsense but she has to be as the gateway to the doctor. She has a softer side but not as evident when you first meet her- her organization is amazing though.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Not as new facilities as MGH and the doctors don't do your ultrasound but your own doctor reviews your results every time unlike other places.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel Ashby.
All paid by insurance except for a CET cycle I had to pay for myself since located outside of USA
2010 - 2012
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
She truly cares... She was great about 'thinking outside the box' and devising a plan that truly looked at why previous treatments had failed... She is worth waiting for.
2010 - 2012
European, South Asian
1 IVF, Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
Rachel Ashby was wonderful. Appointments with her were like talking to a good friend. I felt that she truly cared and was totally honest with us about expectations and outcomes. I cannot recommend her highly enough. When there was a setback in my latest cycle, she phoned me out of hours to reassure me and answer any questions.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby?
She is so popular that it can take months to get an appointment. She is worth waiting for. I made the mistake, in my haste to get in with a fertility doctor, to initially go to someone else. In the long run, that cost me a lot more time. Wait a few extra months to see Dr Ashby, she's totally worth the wait.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Rachel was amazing. She truly cares. She held my hand while I cried and helped us to come up with a plan that we felt good about. She was great about 'thinking outside the box' and devising a plan that truly looked at why previous treatments had failed.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
I wasn't that impressed with her nurse. She was very disorganized and didn't really seem to understand my cycle. Rachel Ashby and I had come up with a good plan, which was not in line with the 'normal' protocols of that clinic. I was very, very involved with what we were doing, so I wasn't very reliant on the nurse to tell me what to do, and when. Had I been relying more on Susan for instructions, the outcomes could have been very different. I'm sure she's fine if you're following a very standard cycle, but in my case we were not.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
She will try to find a solution that is minimal - from impact to you but also risks associated with the options. She was great to not jump to IVF off the bat yet started with less invasive steps.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
I felt immediately at ease and comforted with Dr. Ashby- she talked to us like a friend and not a doctor. I never felt as if I were rushed and she even gave me her email address when I wasn't able to get in touch with the nursing staff.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
The system at Brigham treats you like a number including all of the nursing staff yet Dr. Ashby truly treats you like a human and really talks to you like a person not a doctor.
To date I have not been able to get any of the nurses to respond to my emails or phone calls. When I do get in touch with the nurses, they do not know me, nor do they understand what's going on with me. They do not empathize and are not helpful at all. The only way I could get answers was to make an appt. with Dr. Ashby herself. Dr. Ashby is awesome but the staff is the worst I've experienced.
2009 - 2011
Dr. Ashby communicates with patients in an empathetic yet realistic manner. She cares about her patients specific concerns and needs during treatment. For example, we were concerned about creating extra embryos and she was willing to work with us on a less aggressive protocol to limit the number of eggs and, thus, embryos produced.
2009 - 2011
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
2 long lupron protocols, one with gonal-f, one with gonal-f and menopur. Second cycle added menopur and less gonal-f with hopes of producing better quality eggs
Describe your experience with your nurse.
The nurses provide the bulk of care during routine visits and perform the IUIs. Most were fantastic-very skilled, compassionate and knowledgable.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I had very few complaints about the clinic. The hours they were available were extensive and convenient (including the availability of on-call doctors). However, if you are looking for a practice where one doctor does all of your procedures, this clinic might not be your best fit. The nurses perform minor procedures such as IUIs. Dr. Ashby only performed one of my egg retrievals and they do have fellows assist or perform retrievals and transfers alongside the main physicians. However, I only had excellent experiences with all of the doctors and fellows involved in my care.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
There really were no weaknesses to her treatment or bedside manner- she was exactly what I was hoping to find in a fertility doctor. Because of her (and her staff) I was SO much calmer, happier and confident than with my previous cycle with another doctor. She advocated for what she believed was best for me while also listening to me and taking my opinion and feelings into consideration.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby?
CALL HER NOW! And see her at the Newton- Wellesley location- SO much better than the Brigham. Appointments on time, better nurses and no more super early morning ultrasounds/ bloodwork.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
She was the most personable, caring fertility doctor possible. She gave me her direct e-mail as well as her direct phone number and was available anytime I needed her. She was the only doctor to take the time to try to explain "the unexplainable". I felt I was listened to, understood and respected.
Compared to the staff at the Brigham the nurses were SO much more personable, detail oriented and caring.
2012 - 2013
Dr. Ashby had faith that she could help us have a family when perhaps another doctor would not....When my first IVF round was cancelled because I didn't respond to the meds, she told me not to worry, she had only begun to fight. One full cycle later I was pregnant with my daughter and with only one embryo remaining from that one cycle, we are now looking forward to completing our family with the arrival of a little boy in early summer.
2012 - 2013
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
Dr. Ashby had faith that she could help us have a family when perhaps another doctor would not. I was referred to her by a family friend who is in her practice and doesn't do IVF--hers was a name I had heard from other women and when I was also referred to her by a colleague and a family friend, I knew she was the right doctor for me. When my first IVF round was cancelled because I didn't respond to the meds, she told me not to worry, she had only begun to fight. One full cycle later I was pregnant with my daughter and with only one embryo remaining from that one cycle, we are now looking forward to completing our family with the arrival of a little boy in early summer.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Everyone I encountered at the Brigham--especially the various techs who took gallons of blood from this needle-phobe--were professional and helpful. From my first testing to my delivery, the Brigham has been great.
Boston
I have found Dr Ashby extremely straightforward and pragmatic. She listens to what I want, and balances it with her medical opinion. I am a Single Mother by Choice and she has been fully supportive and encouraging of that route to parenthood....Dr Ashby is very friendly and chatty with me, and showed lots of interest in my personal life and motivations when we first met. Although she's sometimes rushed, I feel like she cares about me personally and my care and results.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby?
She's very straightforward - if you like that, you'll like her!
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Intermittent service from the nurses as Dr Ashby's main nurse left during the period of treatment. They're subbing in for each other which makes communication sometimes inconsistent, and it can be hard to get same-day callbacks with urgent questions.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think Brigham is generally a good clinic - decent waiting times, nice facilities, cutting-edge research and technology. It's well-set up to deal with fertility and has efficient processes, even when you have procedures at weekends. The administration side is sometimes slow, particularly in getting call-backs.
IUI, 1 IVF
She [Dr Rachel Ashby] advocated to get my IVF covered at age 43 as a single parent by choice after i had been declined by 2 REs....We did the most aggressive protocol of cetrotide/ menopur 300/ follistim 300. We got great results in # for my age. [Nursing staff at Brigham & Womens was] super warm, on the ball, compassionate with understanding my situation....I think they are great, billing/ nursing/ blood techs/ check in
IUI, 1 IVF
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
I felt respected and cared for.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby?
It is a fast moving process. Get your questions clear before an appointment.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
She advocated to get my IVF covered at age 43 as a single parent by choice after i had been declined by 2 REs.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Super warm, on the ball, compassionate with understanding my situation.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I think they are great, billing/ nursing/ blood techs/ check in
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
efficient. they even worked with my unusual work hours (early morning yoga teacher)
complete coverage less copays
2010 - 2016
5 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other, Unexplained
she [Dr. Rachel Ashby] got to know me and was matter of fact with me. But also sympathetic to my goals...Very difficult to get an appointment. But once you have one, she is great. The whole office is not very open to new "alternative" treatments such as reproductive immunology. She is matter of fact instead of coddling, which I prefer....Ask questions. Not sure how you get an appointment - it's a challenge for new patients...Con - it's [Brigham - Boston] like a factory.
2010 - 2016
5 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other, Unexplained
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
she got to know me and was matter of fact with me. But also sympathetic to my goals.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
It's like a machine. They are doing this all the time and have it down to an assembly line but with compassion.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Con - it's like a factory. One of the top rated/ best results in the country.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
Very early in the morning. A challenge with Boston traffic.
A lot
2012 - 2015
Dr Ashby called me personally with results of tests, she called me when she was on vacation after I emailed her with a question before our transfer. She took the time to talk with us about our lives and not just our medical information. You will love her and she will take care of you.
2012 - 2015
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
She is caring, compassionate, knowledgable, and explains everything in a way that we can understand and feel a part of the process. She always emailed me back and never made me feel like I shouldn't be asking a question.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby?
You will love her and she will take care of you
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Dr ashby called me personally with results of tests, she called me when she was on vacation after I emailed her with a question before our transfer. She took the time to talk with us about our lives and not just our medical information. I felt like she cares about us as a family and not just as fertility patients
Describe your experience with your nurse.
She's very knowledgeable, responds over email and is compassionate
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr Ashby] is not super warm and cuddly, but also she is not cold. She is realistic and hopeful and it is obvious that she cares....I needed someone who was upfront and more aggressive with treatments. Dr. Ashby was this, as well as checking in with how we were doing.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
Dr. Ashby is very knowledgable and professional. She is very upfront with her thoughts and what she thinks may be going on.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby?
She is not super warm and cuddly, but also she is not cold. She is realistic and hopeful and it is obvious that she cares.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
I was not as impressed with the nursing staff. My calls were not always returned and for my first monitoring ultrasound, there were no orders in the computer. I felt rushed on the phone sometimes.
Boston
Dr. Ashby shared her own experiences with infertility, which humanized the entire process. Dr. Ashby sees a lot of patients, and she did not remember me when I started my second round of treatments, two years after starting the first.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
Dr. Ashby sees a lot of patients, and she did not remember me when I started my second round of treatments, two years after starting the first. (This could also be due to the fact that my second round occurred while she had just returned from her own maternity leave. Mommy brain is real!) while I don't fault her memory, I wish that I were more memorable.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby?
Patience for the process. Ask lots of questions. Follow instructions!
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I have met with Dr. Ashby on every appointment. She always takes her time to explain and answer my questions.... Dr. Ashby is a great professional and takes her time explaining everthing. She made sure we understood each step and did not rush us. We were successful on our first treatment and hoping to do another in the near future... I did IUI with gonal F with successful pregnancy.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
I did IUI with gonal F with successful pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I had a good experience overall! I had a few delays due to insurance approvals in the begining but the team was on top of it. Clinic is located in the hospital with variety of parking options. The greenline is within walking distance for those who prefer taking public transportation.
Covered by insurance
Boston
Dr. Ashby is very kind and compassionate but also doesn't hold back all of the facts and hard truths of the situation. Her honesty and candor are what made me feel she was the perfect fit for us. I couldn't anything but amazing things about her.... Be open and honest with your wants, needs and struggles. She's there to help!
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby?
She's amazing! She gave us hope and made us feel at ease with our course of treatment. She's very compassionate but tells the facts and hard truths as well. I appreciate that, I want to know everything good or bad. Wouldn't want to do this with any other doctor.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby?
Be open and honest with your wants, needs and struggles. She's there to help!
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Amazing group of people! Always smiling and very friendly