U. of Cincinnati

Newton
2014 Washington Street
Newton, MA 02462

2015, Successful
She [Dr Ashby] is not super warm and cuddly, but also she is not cold. She is realistic and hopeful and it is obvious that she cares....I needed someone who was upfront and more aggressive with treatments. Dr. Ashby was this, as well as checking in with how we were doing.
B&W [Brigham and Women's Fertility] is a big place and it's run like a machine. Sometimes I felt like I was more of a number in the grand scheme of things than a patient....I was not as impressed with the nursing staff. My calls were not always returned and for my first monitoring ultrasound, there were no orders in the computer. I felt rushed on the phone sometimes.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby is very knowledgable and professional. She is very upfront with her thoughts and what she thinks may be going on.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
She is not super warm and cuddly, but also she is not cold. She is realistic and hopeful and it is obvious that she cares.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Tricia Kennedy)
What specific things went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
B&W is a big place and it's run like a machine. Sometimes I felt like I was more of a number in the grand scheme of things than a patient.
2012 - 2013, Successful
Dr. Ashby had faith that she could help us have a family when perhaps another doctor would not....When my first IVF round was cancelled because I didn't respond to the meds, she told me not to worry, she had only begun to fight. One full cycle later I was pregnant with my daughter and with only one embryo remaining from that one cycle, we are now looking forward to completing our family with the arrival of a little boy in early summer.
Everyone I encountered at the Brigham--especially the various techs who took gallons of blood from this needle-phobe--were professional and helpful. From my first testing to my delivery, the Brigham has been great....Dr. Ashby had faith that she could help us have a family when perhaps another doctor would not....When my first IVF round was cancelled because I didn't respond to the meds, she told me not to worry, she had only begun to fight.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby had faith that she could help us have a family when perhaps another doctor would not. I was referred to her by a family friend who is in her practice and doesn't do IVF--hers was a name I had heard from other women and when I was also referred to her by a colleague and a family friend, I knew she was the right doctor for me. When my first IVF round was cancelled because I didn't respond to the meds, she told me not to worry, she had only begun to fight. One full cycle later I was pregnant with my daughter and with only one embryo remaining from that one cycle, we are now looking forward to completing our family with the arrival of a little boy in early summer.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.

2010 - 2012, Successful
She truly cares... She was great about 'thinking outside the box' and devising a plan that truly looked at why previous treatments had failed... She is worth waiting for.
I wasn't that impressed with her [Dr Ashby's] nurse. She was very disorganized and didn't really seem to understand my cycle... Had I been relying more on Susan [my nurse] for instructions, the outcomes could have been very different.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Rachel Ashby was wonderful. Appointments with her were like talking to a good friend. I felt that she truly cared and was totally honest with us about expectations and outcomes. I cannot recommend her highly enough. When there was a setback in my latest cycle, she phoned me out of hours to reassure me and answer any questions.
She is so popular that it can take months to get an appointment. She is worth waiting for. I made the mistake, in my haste to get in with a fertility doctor, to initially go to someone else. In the long run, that cost me a lot more time. Wait a few extra months to see Dr Ashby, she's totally worth the wait.
Rachel was amazing. She truly cares. She held my hand while I cried and helped us to come up with a plan that we felt good about. She was great about 'thinking outside the box' and devising a plan that truly looked at why previous treatments had failed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
I wasn't that impressed with her nurse. She was very disorganized and didn't really seem to understand my cycle. Rachel Ashby and I had come up with a good plan, which was not in line with the 'normal' protocols of that clinic. I was very, very involved with what we were doing, so I wasn't very reliant on the nurse to tell me what to do, and when. Had I been relying more on Susan for instructions, the outcomes could have been very different. I'm sure she's fine if you're following a very standard cycle, but in my case we were not.
2009 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Ashby communicates with patients in an empathetic yet realistic manner. She cares about her patients specific concerns and needs during treatment. For example, we were concerned about creating extra embryos and she was willing to work with us on a less aggressive protocol to limit the number of eggs and, thus, embryos produced.
I had very few complaints about the clinic [Brigham and Womens]. The hours they were available were extensive and convenient (including the availability of on-call doctors). However, if you are looking for a practice where one doctor does all of your procedures, this clinic might not be your best fit. The nurses perform minor procedures such as IUIs. Dr. Ashby only performed one of my egg retrievals and they do have fellows assist or perform retrievals and transfers alongside the main physicians. However, I only had excellent experiences with all of the doctors and fellows involved in my care.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Describe the protocols Rachel Ashby used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
2 long lupron protocols, one with gonal-f, one with gonal-f and menopur. Second cycle added menopur and less gonal-f with hopes of producing better quality eggs
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
The nurses provide the bulk of care during routine visits and perform the IUIs. Most were fantastic-very skilled, compassionate and knowledgable.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I had very few complaints about the clinic. The hours they were available were extensive and convenient (including the availability of on-call doctors). However, if you are looking for a practice where one doctor does all of your procedures, this clinic might not be your best fit. The nurses perform minor procedures such as IUIs. Dr. Ashby only performed one of my egg retrievals and they do have fellows assist or perform retrievals and transfers alongside the main physicians. However, I only had excellent experiences with all of the doctors and fellows involved in my care.
Boston
Dr. Ashby shared her own experiences with infertility, which humanized the entire process. Dr. Ashby sees a lot of patients, and she did not remember me when I started my second round of treatments, two years after starting the first.
How was your experience with Rachel Ashby at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Dr. Ashby sees a lot of patients, and she did not remember me when I started my second round of treatments, two years after starting the first. (This could also be due to the fact that my second round occurred while she had just returned from her own maternity leave. Mommy brain is real!) while I don't fault her memory, I wish that I were more memorable.
Patience for the process. Ask lots of questions. Follow instructions!