Medical SchoolLouisiana St
5 Columbus Circle
West Harrison
244 Westchester Ave
West Harrison, NY 10604
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Rachel McConnell to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Columbia University to a friend?
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. McConnell is brilliant and also kind and comforting throughout what can be a very anxiety-producing process. She is patient with me and answers all of my questions, and I never feel rushed...She is knowledgeable and compassionate. I highly recommend her...I mainly see her in the Westchester office, but I have been to the new Manhattan location as well and it's amazing!!
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
She is knowledgeable and compassionate. I highly recommend her. I mainly see her in the Westchester office, but I have been to the new Manhattan location as well and it's amazing!! I had an appointment with Dr. Forman once when Dr. McConnell was out of the office and he seemed great as well. The process of scheduling appointments is seamless, and I adore all of the nurses, secretaries, and phlebotomists I have interacted with.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Be proactive. Ask any questions you have.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina)
They are very kind and thorough and answer all of my millions of questions;
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I am so glad that I chose to use Columbia when my husband and I struggled to conceive. Dr. McConnell is brilliant and also kind and comforting throughout what can be a very anxiety-producing process. She is patient with me and answers all of my questions, and I never feel rushed. I mainly see her in the Westchester office, but I have been to the new Manhattan location as well and it's amazing!! I had an appointment with Dr. Forman once when Dr. McConnell was out of the office and he seemed great as well. The process of scheduling appointments is seamless, and I adore all of the nurses, secretaries, and phlebotomists I have interacted with.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachel McConnell at Columbia University.
My insurance covered everything, but the patient financial coordinator is wonderful and helps with every step of the financial aspect of treatment. She responds to emails immediately.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. McConnell is very warm and personable and we appreciate her genuine way of communicating. She is never put out by any of the questions we have asked and is always patient with helpful and accurate answers. She also took the time to personally reached out to me about renovations in the office to ensure that my treatment was not effected....She has performed one of my IUI procedures and a sonogram personally - although for other procedures I have had various doctors in the clinic.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Dr. McConnell is very easy to talk to and extremely knowledgeable. She makes a point to explain the process and also the science behind the process of IUI and now IVF as we have shifted our path of treatment. She is always positive while being honest about potential risks of each medication, procedure or pathway. She has performed one of my IUI procedures and a sonogram personally - although for other procedures I have had various doctors in the clinic. When she doesn’t personally perform the morning monitoring or other procedures she always looks over the results and I get a call a few hours later with her assessment. Dr. McConnell also has a patient, warm nature and I always feel supported and cared for when interacting with her. I have also already recommended her to a friend who is absolutely thrilled to be working with her compared with her last doctor. I feel very lucky that Dr. McConnell is my doctor through this process because it has so many ups and downs, and she is a constant, hopeful and calm presence through it all.
Bring your own questions to appointments- don’t be afraid to ask her anything! She is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Describe the protocols Rachel McConnell used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Dr. McConnell took time to do a lot of preliminary testing of myself and my partner before beginning treatment. Testing identified that I have a blocked Fallopian tube and my husband has low motility. As a result, She recommended starting with less intrusive methods, so we started with IUI. She will support patients desire to go with more aggressive treatment but would herself recommend the least intrusive care possible given the couple’s issues. I did three cycles of IUI with Chlomid and a trigger shot, which did not result in any positives. After about 3 attempts she likes to meet again with patients to se if they want to continue with IUI or move to a more involved cycle like IVF. We were ready to try IVF, and she walked us through the process, risk factors and more. I asked her if I should have surgery to unblock my Fallopian tube, but she said it wasn’t needed because of the type of blockage I had. This reinforced my appreciation for her because she wasn’t just out to get more money by pushing patients to have more procedures that aren’t truly necessary. We are now awaiting the start of our first IVF cycle, which will be next month.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina )
The nursing staff that works with Dr. McConnell is awesome. I have more contact with them than Dr. McConnell herself. Nurse Katrina is my personal care coordinator and she is the one who always calls me with results and information. She is extremely helpful, warm and patient with my questions.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The Columbia Women’s Fertility Center is awesome! All the receptionists and phlebotomists get to know you and are always welcoming and well organized. Morning monitoring is extremely efficient and runs daily from 7-9am. Some people may not like the volume of people who are there every day, but I appreciate it because they always move efficiently through patients. I rarely wait longer than 10 minutes for morning monitoring and am usually only there about 30minutes so I am able to get to work on time.
I have insurance that covers much of the IUI process but not the IVF process. There is usually a co-pay for each morning monitoring visit of $25. This doesn’t apply if just blood work is done. IVF will be more expensive because I don’t have insurance coverage. They gave us a print out of all the various components of care and procedures and the prices so we could get a good idea of what to expect. We are budgeting to need $10-$15,000 for the IVF trials. This clinic also assigns each patient a financial advisor and I call or email her whenever I have billing or insurance questions or issues. She has been very helpful through the process in making sure my costs were properly processed through insurance and also that I understood my coverage.
Describe Rachel McConnell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Dr. McConnell supports a eSET approach in IVF. She stated that it doesn’t improve chances by using more than one at a time.
Columbia University
all of my morning monitoring was done by Dr. McConnell. She was always upbeat and personable and I never felt rushed, like I did woh other Drs in the practice.... For the first cycle I did a fresh embryo transfer using 2 5-day blastocysts. When this cycle was unsuccessful, Dr McConnell had a follow up appointment with my partner and I to recommend PGS testing for the next cycle. We had 4 embryos tested and 2 were deemed chromosomally normal. I transferred one which resulted in my current pregnancy, and the other is still frozen for a future transfer.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
CWRC is a large clinic and serves tons of patients at their Manhattan location. Dr McConnell works part of the week there, and spends the other days running the Scarsdale location.If it is at all possible for you to get to the Scarsdale location, I highly recommend it. I went out of my way to come to this location because the one in Manhattan is such a zoo. You will still have to go to the Manhattan location for procedures like IUI, egg retrieval, and embryo transfer. For those procedures you never know which Dr you’re going to get. But all of my morning monitoring was done by Dr. McConnell. She was always upbeat and personable and I never felt rushed, like I did woh other Drs in the practice.
Come with a list of questions.
I began seeing Dr McConnell after a negative experience with another Dr in the practice. I had just undergone 4 unsuccessful IUIs and it was time to move on to IVF. During our IVF consultation Dr McConnell was very informative as well as warm and took her time answering all of our questions.
I did 2 IVF cycles with Dr McConnell. Both times I used injectables (Gonal F and Cetrotide) to prepare for the egg retrieval. For the first cycle I did a fresh embryo transfer using 2 5-day blastocysts. When this cycle was unsuccessful, Dr McConnell had a follow up appointment with my partner and I to recommend PGS testing for the next cycle. We had 4 embryos tested and 2 were deemed chromosomally normal. I transferred one which resulted in my current pregnancy, and the other is still frozen for a future transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Chrissy)
Chrissy and Angela are both wonderful nurses. They are both extremely knowledgeable and personable.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
CWRC definitely had a factory feel because they treat such a high volume of patients, but it’s my understanding that all NYC clinics are like this. I had over 30 appointments at the Manhattan location. This location was very hit or miss in terms of the service received. Sometimes I only waited for 10 minutes for an appointment, and the staff was pleasant, other times there were long waits and the staff was curt and rushed. My worst experience was when I waited for 3 hours for my first embryo transfer, which was really difficult. This whole process is so emotionally fraught and my anxiety built with each hour that passed. But the worst part was how it was dealt with - my partner kept checking in with the receptionist, and he continued to assure her that we would be seen in “5 minutes,” which clearly wasn’t happening. When it became clear that she was getting upset he had the Dr on call come out and talk to us. When we complained that we’d been waiting for 3 hours, she replied “yeah, well I’ve been working for more than 3 hours.” It was just an obnoxious comment that was totally unnecessary. After that experience is when we switched to Dr McConell. The staff at her Scarsdale office are all wonderful, pleasant, helpful, and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Columbia University.
Monitoring is done between 7 and 9, and at the Manhattan location there was often a wait. The Scarsdale location had Mich less wait time.
I spent about 20k total out of pocket, because my 4 IUI treatments were not covered at all under insurance. My IVF treatments were mostly covered. However, I needed to have a certain number of failed IUIs before the insurance deemed IVF necessary.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Other, Unexplained
I had a horrible experience with Dr. McConnell. She regularly failed to explain procedures or recommendations... I went through with a surgery that Dr. McConnell recommended for me, and unfortunately she failed to mention that it could have a significant negative impact on my ovarian reserve. She also did not help get me an appointment with a surgeon...After each failed cycle, Dr. McConnell just recommended the same protocol without additional testing. I'm not sure if it's Dr. McConnell's preference or the clinic's, but she doesn't individualize or alter a protocol even when it fails or the patient has an adverse reaction.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
I had a horrible experience with Dr. McConnell. She regularly failed to explain procedures or recommendations and lied to me. Dr. McConnell said that one couldn't stop birth control pills mid-pack--apparently, it was easier to lie than share her reason for wanting me to continue the medication. She also made an error during an exam and said my uterus was retroverted; it's not and she had done ultrasounds on me previously. Most significantly, I went through with a surgery that Dr. McConnell recommended for me, and unfortunately she failed to mention that it could have a significant negative impact on my ovarian reserve. She also did not help get me an appointment with a surgeon.
Go elsewhere if possible. Otherwise, advocate heavily for yourself: push for answers, follow up repeatedly, and make sure you stay on top of every detail of your care.
After each failed cycle, Dr. McConnell just recommended the same protocol without additional testing. I'm not sure if it's Dr. McConnell's preference or the clinic's, but she doesn't individualize or alter a protocol even when it fails or the patient has an adverse reaction. The oral estrace that they use for FET cycles made me very sick, but she refused to let me do another FET protocol or consider one of the many alternatives forms of estrogen.
unsuccessful medicated FETs with the same standard protocol each time (estrace, antagonist, progesterone suppositories, low dose medrol before transfer)
The only slight positive was that the support staff including the nurses were very kind. That said, I was frequently given misinformation and strange instructions by the nurses, who seemed overwhelmed and unorganized. One told me to avoid yoga/light exercise even before my frozen transfer because it would bounce my uterus!
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The experience was a nightmare, and my treatment was unsuccessful. The set protocols made everything easier for the clinic/doctors but weren't successful for me and often left me with negative side effects for several extra days before my procedures. I could barely get a callback, and the clinical staff don't use email. Even though the clinic claimed to have a lot of experience with same-sex couples, they often had to make up the process along the way. Because they didn't have updated consent forms for same-sex couples, we had to solicit external legal council and advocate for changes to the forms in order to protect of our parental rights. The lead social worker was also highly unprofessional and shared obvious details about the identity of famous patients.
They tried to have us pay out of pocket rather than use our insurance benefits. Luckily, insurance covered treatment. However, they routinely tried to bill me for covered procedures or at higher prices than I was told in advance. Sorting it out was almost impossible.
We went into the process knowing that we wanted eSET, so there wasn't much if any discussion about it with Dr. McConnell.
4 IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
She [Dr. McConnell] did not ask about my goals or manage my expectations...Even after the first failed embryo transfer did not take, she did not discuss any possible changes to our protocol...Communication skills are poor. Next steps were spoken about in broad strokes. She dictated the next steps without asking for my input and paid little attention when we provided input/shared concerns. It always took a very long time for her to get back to us (by phone) - we resorted to carrying the phones with us into bathrooms etc. so as not to miss her calls.
East Asian, South Asian
4 IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Communication skills are poor. Next steps were spoken about in broad strokes. She dictated the next steps without asking for my input and paid little attention when we provided input/shared concerns. It always took a very long time for her to get back to us (by phone) - we resorted to carrying the phones with us into bathrooms etc. so as not to miss her calls. There are far better and faster ways to communicate today e.g. email
Do not expect any compassion or customized treatment. This is not a doctor I would recommend unless you know (and who does?) you only need to go through this once to be successful and you have no need for customized treatment/protocol.
She did not ask about my goals or manage my expectations. I was told we would get pregnant quickly and without any issue. Even after the first failed embryo transfer did not take, she did not discuss any possible changes to our protocol. I distinctively remember that in our follow up appointment to discuss our failed transfer, she sat back cross her fingers and asked "what can i do for you?" That question struck me as uncaring and cold. All she suggested was to follow the same protocol and transfer the next embryo. We did as we were told for the next 2 embryos (makes 3 total transfers) using the same protocol and received the same negative results each transfer.
Results of my STIM cycles were very poor - I had very few follicles to work with. I requested adjustments to my treatment protocol to improve my chances e.g. estrogen priming but was told a flat no because I don't ovulate regularly and wouldn't fit into one of their standard protocols (I actually went on to have success with priming at another clinic). On another occasion, I was stimmed with a dominant follicle which ultimately resulted in a cancelled cycle. In summary, I was encouraged to keep repeating the same standard protocol even though the monitoring sessions revealed low follicle count and in some cases a clear dominant follicle.
I can remember only 2 individuals who were our lifelines during our treatment there. 1) Michael worked the front desk and was always friendly, kind and efficient. 2) Erica was a blood tech there and is now at Sher NY. She was always friendly and efficient - uplifting and important qualities to help patients navigate this stressful time.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Not suitable for someone who needs treatment that extends beyond their standard protocol e.g. estrogen priming in my case
Monitoring started at 7 am. I had to get there by 630AM to be the first few patients in line. I have literally run to the front door of the building to rush to be the first few in line. Consequence of not being the first 1 to 3 is waiting untill 745 am to be seen by the doctor. After seeing the doctor for monitoring, it could take another 20 mins to meet with the nurse. That means spending 1.5 hours for a 3 minute monitoring appointment is my best case scenario.
Columbia University
I saw Dr. McConnell during my consultation. She seemed friendly and was very positive about us succeeding...Unfortunately, we never saw Dr. McConnell again - EVER. We did 3 IUIs at the clinic and never once saw OUR doctor after the consultation. This is shocking to me as I had A LOT of visits over the course of 3 IUIs...she was not proactive. After having 2 failed IUIs with no drugs, I had to call the clinic myself and ask whether I could start taking clomid. I never heard back from her after my failed IUIs or after my request to start taking clomid.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Dr. McConnell seemed like a warm person and she was positive about the treatment she was prescribing for me. However, she was not proactive. After having 2 failed IUIs with no drugs, I had to call the clinic myself and ask whether I could start taking clomid. I never heard back from her after my failed IUIs or after my request to start taking clomid. The nurse called me back and said OK. How is that acceptable behavior for a doctor? After 3 IUIs failed, I simply never called the clinic again and Dr. McConnell never reached out to me. I can't adequately review her personally as a doctor as I only saw her once during my consultation.
Don't expect to have easy access to this doctor or even her nurses.
I saw Dr. McConnell during my consultation. She seemed friendly and was very positive about us succeeding. She indicated that the tests that my GYN ran were thorough and that our only issue was morphology (male factor). She believed we could easily get pregnant using IUI with no drugs. We were obviously excited to hear this and immediately signed up. Unfortunately, we never saw Dr. McConnell again - EVER. We did 3 IUIs at the clinic and never once saw OUR doctor after the consultation. This is shocking to me as I had A LOT of visits over the course of 3 IUIs. I felt like a number and not a human.
My husband had low morphology (1%). That was our only known issue. Dr. McConnell did not believe morphology would impact our success and she strongly suggested we try natural IUI (no drugs at all). We did 2 failed natural IUI cycles before I grew frustrated and called the nurse asking to be allowed to do an IUI w/ clomid cycle. The nurse said OK. I never heard back from Dr. McConnell so I don't even know what her rationale was for saying OK.
The nurse telephone line goes directly to voicemail. That is fine. The problem is, their voicemail numbers don't match the correct nurses with their corresponding doctors. I mentioned this several times and was met with deaf ears. Also, I would receive a call back only 80% of the time from the nurse. In one instance, I called 5 times over the course of 3 days pleading with them to call me back as my prescription hadn't been called in correctly. I never received any reply. I'm still waiting for that call back (haha!)
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I have no issues with a clinic that is a cattle call. I understand that a cattle call isn't always a bad thing - it can show that the clinic is organized and efficient in how they see patients. This is not the case with Columbia. The waiting room is extremely uncomfortable and outdated. The chairs are lined up to face a television set that blasts HGTV very loudly every single day. I visited the clinic at all hours of the day and this was also the case. The exam rooms are extremely outdated and felt dirty to me. The walls were covered in marks and desperately needed fresh paint. The sterilizing machines would be left on and beeping non-stop for 10+ minutes at a time until someone would finally come in and turn it off. They do not have many lab techs to take blood work. I would estimate 3 techs at a time. The doctor's do not review your chart or paper before entering your exam room. I had several ask me why I was there today and one incorrectly said, "you're here for X today, right" - which was 100% incorrect.
My insurance company paid for IUIs and visits associated with it as part of my coverage. I needed pre-authorization before each IUI.
Other, Unexplained
After each failed cycle, Dr. McConnell just recommended the same protocol without additional testing. I'm not sure if it's Dr. McConnell's preference or the clinic's, but she doesn't individualize or alter a protocol even when it fails or the patient has an adverse reaction...I had a horrible experience with Dr. McConnell. She regularly failed to explain procedures or recommendations and lied to me. Dr. McConnell said that one couldn't stop birth control pills mid-pack--apparently, it was easier to lie than share her reason for wanting me to continue the medication. She also made an error during an exam and said my uterus was retroverted; it's not and she had done ultrasounds on me previously.
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
failed medicated FETs with the same standard protocol each cycle (estrace, antagonist, progesterone suppositories, low dose medrol before transfer)
The support staff including the nurses were really nice but overworked and unorganized. I was frequently given misinformation and strange instructions by the nurses. One told me to avoid yoga/light exercise even before my frozen transfer because it would bounce my uterus!
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It was a nightmare, and my treatment was unsuccessful. The set protocols made everything easier for the clinic/doctors but weren't successful for me and often left me with negative side effects for several extra days before my procedures. I could barely get a callback, and the clinical staff don't use email. Even though the clinic claimed to have a lot of experience with same-sex couples, they often had to made up the process along the way. Because they didn't have updated consent forms for same-sex couples, we had to pay for a lawyer and advocate for changes to the forms in order to protect of our parental rights. The lead social worker was also highly unprofessional and shared obvious details about the identity of famous patients.
We went into the process knowing that we only wanted eSET, so there wasn't really a conversation.
Columbia University
I really only saw her [Dr Rachel McConnell] twice I think. The first visit was the initial intake. As previously mentioned, she seemed to briefly scan my paperwork and misinterpreted a letter. I had to keep correcting her. She was nice and all but she also didn't really care to diagnose me properly since "whatever it is, we'll be treating it the same way".
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
I really only saw her twice I think. The first visit was the initial intake. As previously mentioned, she seemed to briefly scan my paperwork and misinterpreted a letter. I had to keep correcting her. She was nice and all but she also didn't really care to diagnose me properly since "whatever it is, we'll be treating it the same way".
Assert yourself. If it seems like she's missing info don't be afraid to speak up. She won't get annoyed.
She spoke to me pleasantly for sure, not condescendingly. However, I felt like she wasn't really paying attention to my own personal history. For example, she said something several times about my endometriosis and... I don't have that! At all! I had to keep correcting her because she had read some letter wrong. I could have been mistreated because of that.
I was lucky. I only had to go through one cycle of IUI. She said I had unexplained infertility and there was no particular reason I wasn't getting pregnant. She said because of that it would just be best to stimulate more egg production with clomid. I started clomid on cycle day 3, I went in for daily ultrasounds to check on the egg development. I had 2 good ones developing. At mid cycle I was told to check an ovulation stick daily and once I saw the surge to come in the next morning for my IUI. If it didn't happen by Thursday, I was to use an injection to stimulate ovulation. Luckily, the surge hit Wednesday night and I did not need to inject. (I really hated that because they don't work on weekends, I would have had to buy an expensive drug and inject it). I went in with my husband for my IUI, after they told me to lay down for 5 minutes. I had read that laying down for 15 minutes produced better results... so I stuck around for 15 anyway.
They were all kind. They seemed knowledgeable and understanding.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
1. You will never see the same doctor twice. Make sure your comfortable with that. 2. You will be told the worst case scenario. It might make you panic. However, I'm glad I was prepared for the worst. 3. The front desk people are the most helpful people around. They know everything and they are really willing to work with your schedule to get you in.
I had a 1k deductible for my insurance. I already met that for 2014 before I even showed up at the center. Everything was covered in full by my insurance. My actual IUI cycle in 2015 cost around $450- I only know since it was January and it the first thing to hit my deductible. The sperm was handled separately and I think it was around $100.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
I was not happy overall with Dr. McConell or Columbia U. There were several steps we had to go through in order to do IVF, and we were not told about all of the steps up front and so it took longer to begin IVF treatment which was stressful. There was a long wait in order to enroll in the IVF class. It turned out my estrogen priming would begin around the time of the start date of my IVF class and when I asked Dr. McConnell for instructions she refused to give them to me and suggested that I wait another month to start. While Dr. McConnell was sometimes in a good mood I also found her to be moody and sometimes curt to me when I asked questions at consultation appointments.
While Dr. McConnell was sometimes in a good mood I also found her to be moody and sometimes curt to me when I asked questions at consultation appointments. After my first round of IVF i had 6 mature eggs and only 2 fertilized and they transferred one day 6 embryo. I did not become pregnant and Dr. McConnell was prepared to do the same treatment all over again. Instead, she should've suggested ICSI and a day 3 transfer (which Columbia apparently does not do). Overall, I did not feel that Dr. McConnell gave my treatment a lot of personal attention.
estrogen priming & aggressive protocol (450 gonal f with 150 menopur) - it did work for me in that i was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve and i had 6 mature eggs. however, it did not result in a pregnancy.
I was not happy with their responsiveness. If i had a question about my treatment it would take 2-3 days to get a call back, and sometimes I never got a call back. They also did not communicate clear instructions with IUI and it was very stressful.
there was usually a long wait; the wait was shorter in the westchester office
2012 - 2013
2012 - 2013
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
She is a nice woman and a smart doctor. I appreciated that her first reaction was not to send us right into IVF. If she had said "I think you need IVF" we would have listened to her, but she felt we should try IUI first and it was the right course of treatment for us. After my miscarriages, she made sure I got all of the appropriate testing to make sure everything was okay. That being said, she's not the warmest person in the world, so if you need a doctor who will hug you, she's not it. She does listen. She does answer questions. I never felt talked down to.
The same advice I would give to anyone who needs infertility treatment: educate yourself and advocate for yourself. Dr. McConnell is smart, I did a lot of research and I never asked her a question where I wasn't satisfied with her answer. She is nice and I did feel like she cared about getting me pregnant, but she's not a super enthusiastic or warm person, so if you need someone like that, I would try a different doctor. In the end, we trusted her guidance on our treatment, and I'm glad we did.
I think she was down the middle on this. She's a nice woman, she explains things well, she is never abrupt or rude. But she obviously sees a lot of patients and I doubt she'd know my name if she didn't look down at the chart. She's very calm and I think that can come across as disinterested. I did feel like she listened to me and I feel like she always answered my questions well.
I had four cycles of IUI. She originally recommended that we only do 3 before IVF. I took 100mg of Clomid for days 2-6, with regular monitoring and then insemination after either a positive OPK or ovidrel shot. The first cycle was a biochemical pregnancy. Second cycle was negative. Third cycle resulted in a pregnancy that was ultimately not viable (no fetal heartbeat), followed by a D&C (performed by a different doctor). Fourth cycle resulted in my son. We met with her after the miscarriage and she recommended that we continue with IUI because they were clearly working in getting me pregnant, we just needed a viable pregnancy. She also ordered recurrent pregnancy loss blood tests at that time, all came back normal.
It really depended on the nurse! Some were very kind and caring, some were quiet and a little cold. They were all competant.
My insurance covered all of my testing and IUIs and D&C, minus co-pays. That's one of the benefits of CWRC - they took a lot of insurance.
Columbia University
The doctor [Dr. McConnell] seemed fine, but I didn't see her much during the fertility testing phase. She wasn't really that involved in my care, but I thought she was clear and confident in my conversations with her...She was mainly doing fertility testing. I changed doctors before the IUI cycle...
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
The doctor seemed fine, but I didn't see her much during the fertility testing phase. She wasn't really that involved in my care, but I thought she was clear and confident in my conversations with her.
You have to hound the clinic to get any information or responses to questions. Ask all questions when you're there.
The office was a nightmare to deal with. They didn't answer questions, I had to call over and over again to get basic questions answered, they wouldn't send my records without being hounded. I saw people show up at the office just to ask questions because they couldn't get responses.
She was mainly doing fertility testing. I changed doctors before the IUI cycle.
Disorganized. They didn't respond to frantic emails and calls for information I needed to order sperm. The nurse assigned to me simply never responded. I had to hound other nurses to get the information I needed. I didn't even know fully what all tests I had to do until I cornered someone.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It's like you're just a number. They're churning people through. If you need your records you need to call and talk to a receptionist and then beg them to help you get in touch with the person who's responsible. It feels very frustrating to use this clinic. I saw several frustrated patients.
It was very vague and I had to hound them to understand the costs. In the end, everything was covered.
2013 - 2014
in hindsight I wished that we had some things a little differently. I felt that she [Dr. Rachel McConnell] was willing to listen to me but just wanted to do the same dose over and over again...After my second ivf that failed, it took a long time to receive a phone call from my doctor. This was highly upsetting to me and I felt like I was not a priority...Very warm demeanor. Very knowledgeable as well.
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Dr. McConnell has a great vibe. Calm and collected, she always took her time with us and answered all questions without rushing us. She has a great sense of humor as well. I was very happy with my treatment as we got our son from our first ivf. However, we ran into sole trouble for the second round, and in hindsight I wished that we had some things a little differently. I felt that she was willing to listen to me but just wanted to do the same dose over and over again.
Maybe push her to give you more options then what’s originally presented.
Very warm demeanor. Very knowledgeable as well.
Antagonist ivf protocol with 5 day blast FET with PGS testing.
The nurses were all wonderful except for one that was very rude (and very pregnant, which was salt in the wound). The majority are lovely though.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It is a factory so be prepared to be treated like a number. However, you get a lot of different eyes on your case, which I think is very positive. I also picked every doctor’s brain that I saw. Since you see so many different doctors, I could get a lot of good information.
There were a lot of people every time. They were not flexible with my work schedule and I could only come at specified hours in the morning. This was not convenient for my job as a teacher and I had to take off a lot of time.
It was covered by insurance except for icsi and PGS testing. And co-pays for monitoring.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Re [Rachel] McConnell didn't give me false hope but she made judgements based on the specifics she saw with my treatment rather than simply based on my age. I was able to get a good number of eggs which increased my chances of a pregnancy. She was not frustrated by the fact that I got a second and third opinion and she was open to my suggestions. For example, she did a 5 day transfer with my first IVF and I didn't get pregnant. She was open to trying a 3 day transfer with my second IVF (resulting in may son.)
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
I was 43 when my son was born so clearly on the high end as far as age. Re McConnell didn't give me false hope but she made judgements based on the specifics she saw with my treatment rather than simply based on my age. I was able to get a good number of eggs which increased my chances of a pregnancy. She was not frustrated by the fact that I got a second and third opinion and she was open to my suggestions. For example, she did a 5 day transfer with my first IVF and I didn't get pregnant. She was open to trying a 3 day transfer with my second IVF (resulting in may son.)
The same advice I'd give anyone undergoing fertility treatments. Be informed. Ask as many questions as you can.
Pamela was one nurse who went above and beyond for us in every way. We are so grateful. The clinic is busy and big and she made us feel cared for.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It's huge and busy. I liked some of the doctors more than others and you even up seeing most/all of them. One of the doctors made a very scary suggestion without having all of my information--luckily I was informed.
Thankfully treatment was covered by my insurance which was why I was at this clinic
We transferred all embryos that looked good--more than typical--because of my age. We transferred five 3-day which resulted in my son.
Columbia University
She is straight to the point and give you the facts. There is no doubt that she knows her job and is excellent at it. I would have just to show some compassion. This is a very hard process and jus wanted to feel more at ease.... The Doctor was straight to the point and stated the facts....I just would have liked them to follow up more and offer options if IVF isn’t affordable....Dr. McConnell is knowledgeable so do not be afraid to ask as many questions as you need.
Latino, Black or African-American
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
The clinic was extremely warm and friendly. The Doctor was straight to the point and stated the facts.
Many important invasive testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Angela I think )
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Just options if your insurance dors not pay for IVF. People that desperately want children do not like to hear their insurance will not pay and would love other options. More Follow up would have been great. When I stop coming a phone call to find out how I am doing would have been great.
Do not recall.
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
The doctor [Dr. McConnell] was nice but didn't get much contact with her. I had the chance to meet her for the initial but that was all the only other time I saw her was passing in the hall and of course she didn't recognize me...Perhaps things would be different at a different facility but if you don't mind not having much direct contact with your doctor, go for it. If you do, go somewhere else. My friend had a great experience here but it was not a good fit for me...
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
The doctor was nice but didn't get much contact with her. I had the chance to meet her for the initial but that was all the only other time I saw her was passing in the hall and of course she didn't recognize me .
Rachel was very kind and warm.
4 IUI's the last 2 included Clomid
It was a flurry of different faces but there was one I saw a few times and she was very kind, sadly I can't recall her name.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It's a large clinic with access to a lot of resources but don't expect to much attention and support.
They completely dropped the ball in this area and miscommunicated and overcharged me. I still have not been able to effectively communicate with them to correct this. They were rude and gave me the run around.
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
[Under Dr. Rachel McConnell's care] I had 6 fresh rounds and after the 1st round didn't stick (1 5day embryo at transfer) We decided to batch as many embryos as possible. Every round was very similar 4-8 eggs retreived with one embryo making it to a 5 day blast. One time no eggs made it. so we had 4 embryos that all all came back with genetic problems through PGS. I felt that nothing was changed in my IVF cycles and they just tried the same thing over and over. I wish they made an effort to change my meds or something.
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
Ask as many questions as possible
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Their billing department is terrible and very rude. Make copies of everything. It takes forever to get through on thier phone line and I was consantly trying to get information, they don't tell you anything utill you owe them money
Columbia University
She [Dr. Rachel McConnell] is kind, brilliant, and does not rush me... will be honest with you as well as kind. She is up to date with the current research in her field. I feel safe in her hands.She knew what tests to run and was then able to help me get pregnant twice. Although they ended in miscarriages, she knows the next steps to take to ensure my next pregnancy is healthy...Don't be afraid to voice your specific fears, concerns, and needs
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
She is smart and will be honest with you as well as kind. She is up to date with the current research in her field. I feel safe in her hands.She knew what tests to run and was then able to help me get pregnant twice. Although they ended in miscarriages, she knows the next steps to take to ensure my next pregnancy is healthy.
Don't be afraid to voice your specific fears, concerns, and needs
She is kind, brilliant, and does not rush me.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The clinic is efficient and kind. Dr. McConnell, Karen, Chrissy, and Angela are my heroes. They are competent and caring. They make my experience at the clinic so much more manageable and stress-free. Thank you.
all covered by my insurance
West Harrison
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr Rachel McConnell is very caring. She makes you feel comfortable that she is choosing the right course of treatment for you. She is very gentle, All procedures she did were painless. She goes above and beyond...
How was your experience with Rachel McConnell at Columbia University?
You have to have patience with the staff.
Staff in the city office treat you like a number
It's impossible to get a nurse on the phone. You have to leave a message & hope they call you back the same day. Unnecessary stress if you ask me.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Billing department is not good. You have to double check everything. I had to wait 6 weeks for a pre approval that only takes one day to do.
If you go to the city office you would wait at least 40 mins. Scarsdale office wait was so much better.