7.2

Jacksonville
14540 Old St. Augustine
Jacksonville, FL 32258
904-260-0352

Dr Cabrera said I could have 3 transferred but he did not communicate that to his partner doing the transfer so only 2 were transferred....Initially, during my consultation he was friendly but after my payment for IVF I became just a number...I had concerns about implantation success and was always wondering if my progesterone levels were ok but I got no answers on that.
The IVF nurse was excellent. She was very knowledgeable and she showed care and concern for me as a patient. I liked having her be part of my treatment team [at Brown Fertility]. The medical assistants were also very friendly and seemed to really care...They do not offer screening tests to increase selection of the best embryos. It is interesting that they offer gender selection but not a test that would increase pregnancy success.
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
He did not individualize my care, therefore my chances for success were decreased. Specifically, during my first IVF cycle the gonal f was at max dose and he never adjusted it despite each visit saying my follicles were growing very fast. As a result, my follicles grew too big, too fast and although we still retrieved 6, I could have had over 12 retrieved and would not have needed to do another IVF cycle for more follicles if the medication was adjusted during my visits prior to retrieval. He told me after the chemical pregnancy that it must be my embryos. When I said the grading from the embryologist showed good embryos he said "that grading does not mean anything" He also said what is important is what is inside the embryo and said "there is no way to tell what happening inside" I now know that PGT-A testing would have allowed me to know which embryos to transfer but they don't offer that test and as a result you can see the stats that show very, very poor success with women over 37 treated at Brown fertility. He did not communicate with Dr Bruce Rose who did my transfer. The first transfer he only transferred 2 embryos even though we agreed to do 3. The second IVF cycle Dr Rose said 2 minutes before the transfer that he did not agree with transferring 3 and he strongly recommended against it. He also said "I can get any woman pregnant" The cycle resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Dr Cabrera lost his temper with me when talking to me the day the nurse called to tell me the results were negative. He was extremely arrogant and never once said I'm sorry. Instead he said " I did not do anything wrong and I did not guarantee you anything" I was shocked. At that point I knew I would never return and no matter how much they charge me to transfer my embryos I would do that rather than work with Brown fertility doctors again.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
For the reasons I detailed above, I would say do not go here. Even if you have to wait for a few months for an appointment somewhere else. There is a reason for that. He says what you want to hear and once that payment is received there are no refunds. After the cycle ends you will never hear from them again.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
Initially, during my consultation he was friendly but after my payment for IVF I became just a number. After I talked with the doctor who referred me to Dr Cabrera, he changed completely and treated me like a human.
Describe the protocols Rafael Cabrera used in your cycles at Brown Fertility and their degree of success.
He used the same protocol he uses for all IVF patients at this clinic. I had concerns about implantation success and was always wondering if my progesterone levels were ok but I got no answers on that. Also, I think the most important thing I learned after doing my own research after the 2nd failed fresh IVF cycle is that a frozen cycle would have allowed him to make sure my lining was optimal for implantation. I also found out that the other clinics in my area rarely do fresh cycles anymore especially after a failed fresh cycle. That type of change in protocol is a critical change that based on everything I have read including this fertility site would have increased my chance for success dramatically.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brown Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ivie IVF nurse)
The IVF nurse was excellent. She was very knowledgeable and she showed care and concern for me as a patient. I liked having her be part of my treatment team. The medical assistants were also very friendly and seemed to really care.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
Clinic strengths- they see a lot of patients so you can get an appointment easily for a consultation. The support staff and nurses are really good. Clinic weaknesses- The doctor does not care. Once the money is paid and the cycle is over its on to the next one. After someone spends so much money they would expect some contact after a failed cycle. They do not follow standard protocols, the outdated protocols are likely why my cycle failed. They do not offer screening tests to increase selection of the best embryos. It is interesting that they offer gender selection but not a test that would increase pregnancy success. That would make any patient think it's all about making money. The screening tests would lead to less cycles and therefore decreased profits.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility.
I spent about 35,000 dollars here over 4 months. This included 2 IVF cycles and the over priced medications from SMP pharmacy in Miami for each of those cycles. It also includes the anesthesia costs and hotel costs because the procedures are done in Jacksonville not Orlando.
Describe Rafael Cabrera's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brown Fertility.
Dr Cabrera said I could have 3 transferred but he did not communicate that to his partner doing the transfer so only 2 were transferred. During my second IVF cycle it was made clear we would do 3 and again 2 were transferred. No apology and no explanation was given.
What specific things went wrong at Brown Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brown Fertility.
The failure to treat me as an individual affected my chance for success. Not having the same doctor monitor me and perform the procedure contributed to not getting enough embryos the first time and also transferring the wrong number of embryos both times.
Jacksonville

He [Dr. Cabrera] treated us as we were wasting our time discouraged us to even try as to no hope ivf would work for us had no problem crushing my dreams and made me unhopeful that no one else would help us .. put me in depression for a long time... after like 5 visits said i had diabetes and wasnt going to move forward said i should give up and had no hope for a succesful ivf due to my age
Called [Brown Fertility] many timea ro have my records sent to CNY and been months til this days they havent its a run around every time I call they say call this number they send records out and then they say give us 24 hra and its been months... feels like they have no real care only money and no succcess they care about their numbers on only success rates if they see you have low chance or would be low chance they dismiss you totally
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
He treated us as we were wasting our time discouraged us to even try as to no hope ivf would work for us had no problem crushing my dreams and made me unhopeful that no one else would help us .. put me in depression for a long time until people in ivf groups suggested i look into CNY
Dont see him
We met Dr C at a tour thought he was nice gAve us hope got there he had me do testing after testing and after like 5 visits said i had diabetes and wasnt going to move forward said i should give up and had no hope for a succesful ivf due to my age he was so blunt and insensitive I was in shock pretty much cryshing my dreams no plan to even try plus I never had diabetes before and found it strange he said I had it and didnt even tell me how to get better to start nothing .. I was devasted after so much time and money wasted not even able to start a cycle prompted me to move forward to CNY which I consulted with Dr. CORALEY and was given hope he pretty much told me that Dr. CABREAR didnt see me as a good numbers candiate because I am over weight also plus my age and he didnt want to bother but on hold with cny due to fiances my husband lost our ins due to getting laid off and his new job now doesnt help with good ins and our savings was depleted once he list his job until he got a new one
I had genectics testing all blood work a Hsg done and more blood work.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brown Fertility.
Nice but not detailed
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
I have spoken with other patients which has had similar expierces feels like they have no real care only money and no succcess they care about their numbers on only success rates if they see you have low chance or would be low chance they dismiss you totally
Co pays of 35 dollars rest billed to cigna
What specific things went wrong at Brown Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brown Fertility.
Called many timea ro have my records sent to CNY and been months til this days they havent its a run around every time I call they say call this number they send records out and then they say give us 24 hra and its been months
Orlando