7.2

407-244-5515
14540 Old St. Augustine
Jacksonville, FL 32258
904-260-0352

It took a few visits for Dr. Cabrera to "warm up", but through the stim process I realized how invested he was in our success. He is a man of few words, unless you engage and ask questions. If you speak up he is more than willing to spend the time explaining.... My protocol first called for 225 units of Gonal-F and 20 units of hCG daily. Through the course of stims we lowered the Gonal-F to 175 units and ultimately raised it again to 250 units. Dr. Cabrera closely monitored my US's and bloodwork and made adjustments as necessary.
Everyone at the Orlando office was friendly and helpful anytime we called or visited. We feel that they are just as invested in a successful take home baby! They only weakness became apparent after egg retrieval.... Most IVF patients get a fertilization update, day 3 update and a day 5 update. All as phone calls or emails. I didn't receive any of those and became very frustrated. I reached out to my nurse to explain the frustration and was told unfortunately that's their procedure
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
Engage him and he will respond!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
Brown Fertility did a great job providing personalized care - from the nursing staff to Dr. Cabrera. They took their time and never made me feel like they were rushing to get through my appointment and on to the next. During stims we had six appointments leading up to egg retrieval and each appointment Dr. Cabrera opened up more and more and you could tell he felt invested. He traveled to Jacksonville to perform my egg retrieval and was generous with his time that day by stopping by before the procedure to see how I was feeling. Due to the number of eggs retrieved and the risk of OHSS he decided it would not be safe to proceed with a fresh transfer as planned. I felt throughout the whole process he was concerned with ultimately creating healthy embryos and a take home baby, but my health and well being as well. When we had out FET training a few weeks post ER we ran into him and he was genuinely concerned with how I was feeling. It felt good to know that he remembered me and I wasn't a name on his long list of patients.
Describe the protocols Rafael Cabrera used in your cycles at Brown Fertility and their degree of success.
My protocol first called for 225 units of Gonal-F and 20 units of hCG daily. Through the course of stims we lowered the Gonal-F to 175 units and ultimately raised it again to 250 units. Dr. Cabrera closely monitored my US's and bloodwork and made adjustments as necessary. Ovidrel was used as my trigger shot. I was on 12 days of stims, triggered on day 13 and retrieval took place on day 15.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brown Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Maria 'Mena' Frey )
Our nurse Mena was assigned our case from day one and has literally held my hand through all of the ups and downs. She has showed so much compassion and frankly went above and beyond when I had crazy questions. She never once acted as if I was bothering her. I always felt like I was her only patient. It realized so much anxiety knowing that she knew us and our case.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
Everyone at the Orlando office was friendly and helpful anytime we called or visited. We feel that they are just as invested in a successful take home baby! They only weakness became apparent after egg retrieval. We originally planned to do a fresh transfer, but due to the risk of OHSS we had to freeze all. After ER, while still coming out of anesthesia, they told me how many eggs were retrieved and mentioned I would receive a call in two days with a fertilization update. ER was on a Friday and the call came on Sunday around 7:30am just as promised. I was told that 22 had fertilized and 9 looked to be growing appropriately. I asked when I would receive the next update and was told to try to wait to call back until the following Friday as the Embryologist would be busy with fresh transfers that coming week. I patiently waited and call first thing that next Friday. When I called in I was told the information wasn't available. I would receive a card in the mail in two weeks with the requested information. That seemed absurd to me, so I took to a FB IVF Support Group to ask if this was the norm. Remember I hadn't planned to do a FET so I wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting. Turns out I wasn't. Most IVF patients get a fertilization update, day 3 update and a day 5 update. All as phone calls or emails. I didn't receive any of those and became very frustrated. I reached out to my nurse to explain the frustration and was told unfortunately that's their procedure and until the Embryologist inputs the information into their system the nurses don't have access to the information. After a emails and calls, someone was able to get our embryo info and called me back. I don't know if it was the hormones or the fact that I felt like me went through so much and I just wanted to know if it was all worth it. Did we have anything to freeze at the end! The clinic did recognize that their process is flawed. Most patients would not be willing to wait for an embryo update to be sent in the mail two weeks post ER. I hope this something they are working to revise.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility.
We paid $8995 for our first IVF cycle, that did not include the trial transfer ($300), anesthesia ($300) for the egg retrieval or the first round of medications ($4500). In total we paid $14,095. Since we weren't able to do a fresh transfer we have to pay $1000 for the FET conversion and $500 for additional medications. In total we will have spent $15,595. This includes one year of storage fees for our frozen embryos. We did not do PGS/PGD testing.
Describe Rafael Cabrera's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brown Fertility.
Brown Fertility highly recommends single embryo transfer, especially for a fresh transfer and anyone 30 or younger. They do allow two embryo transfers during a FET or patients over 35.
Orlando
Dr. Cabrera is very good and professional I wished all clinic would change my meds according to how I respond each cycle instead of keep using same meds. He does all the Ultrasound and all visit except egg retrieval or transfer. Depend on who’s on call that time [at Brown Fertility]. I wished he would do all my retrieval and transfer since he know me when I visit for blood works and ultrasound
I feel that their [Brown Fertility] communication should be better. ... Embryologist don’t introduce himself and I get a card in a mail 2 weeks latter to know how many embryos freezing is not the way of communication I like. But that’s how they do it at this clinics ... I feel that they don’t tell me much when I go for blood test or ultrasound. For example they don’t tell me what blood test they doing or the results. And ultrasound how many follicles I have and the size.
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
Dr. Cabrera is very good and professional I wished all clinic would change my meds according to how I respond each cycle instead of keep using same meds. He does all the Ultrasound and all visit except egg retrieval or transfer. Depend on who’s on call that time. I wished he would do all my retrieval and transfer since he know me when I visit for blood works and ultrasound
I wished he would explained what he saw on ultrasound and how big my follicles or how many I have
Sometime he’s more personal then other time the group treat me like a number. I do feel all Fertilty clinics that I go to doesn’t really look at my history just my age
My protocol is Gonal F and Hcg with centrotide for all cycles Not sure what’s the rationale but HCg help my egg to mature
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brown Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ivie)
I have a few nurses some send me cycle calendar some does teaching Everyone are professionals and nice.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
I feel that their communication should be better. I get a calendar and said if I have any questions please call. I feel that they don’t tell me much when I go for blood test or ultrasound. For example they don’t tell me what blood test they doing or the results. And ultrasound how many follicles I have and the size. Embryologist don’t introduce himself and I get a card in a mail 2 weeks latter to know how many embryos freezing is not the way of communication I like. But that’s how they do it at this clinics
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Brown Fertility.
I get all my time I request. Scheduling is good
Retrieval cost about $11000 and medicines is about $4000-8000
Jacksonville
Doctor Cabrera performed a polypectomy on me and I am currently undergoing treatment with a medicated cycle. We are still early in our treatment but Doctor Cabrera is thoughtful and kind and will explain everything until it is understood fully. He is helpful and compassionate, while also being knowledgeable and empathetic.... My only advice would be to make an appointment that is after work or during a day you can take off from work. The clinic tends to run late appointment times.
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
Walking into the Brown Fertility office in Orlando, you are received with a warm welcome and smile. Dr. Cabrera is always respectful and kind.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brown Fertility.
The nursing staff at Brown Fertility are wonderful. They are sweet and compassionate! Even when overwhelmed with appointment times or patients, they make you feel like they know you and care about you.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
Brown Fertility’s strengths are that it is one of the best fertility clinics within Central Florida, they are highly rated and give (from what I’ve seen) the best pricing. They are organized, knowledgeable and helpful. Their major weakness would be their appointments running late. The past two times I have visited them I’ve waited over an hour for my appointment and stayed at the clinic for about 1.5-2 hours. I understand that clinics this large have overbookings and especially when it comes to baseline testing for CD3 (that’s something you cannot fully control). Waiting for my appointments has affected my job, I’ve been late or had to leave early 4 times now. I respect the Doctor and Nurse’s time but do become frustrated. They are always apologetic and helpful, though!
Orlando
Amazing cannot complain even if I wanted. He [Dr. Cabrera] explained everything in details. He went through my family and medical history and based my visit off of this. He explained my husband process and procedures. He explained what to expect...He is an amazing doctor. Explained everything in details...He is more than happy to look it over and answer each question to details...Take a notebook and list all your concerns and questions.
[Brown Fertility] Clean very warm and friendly...Amazing cannot complain even if I wanted. He [Dr. Refael Cabrera] explained everything in details. He went through my family and medical history and based my visit off of this. He explained my husband process and procedures. He explained what to expect....Take a notebook and list all your concerns and questions. He is more than happy to look it over and answer each question to details.
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
Amazing cannot complain even if I wanted. He explained everything in details. He went through my family and medical history and based my visit off of this. He explained my husband process and procedures. He explained what to expect.
He is an amazing doctor. Explained everything in details.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
Clean very warm and friendly
Jacksonville
My experience with Dr. Cabrera is a bit different since I was originally under the care of a nurse practitioner that is no longer with the clinic. This made me anxious about staying with the clinic when she left but I am extremely happy that I chose to stay. Dr. Cabrera has assured me that I am in good hands and has taken the time to understand my history.... Dr. Cabrera told us that the goal is 1 healthy baby at at time. That is what we want to be looking for, not multiples.
I think the clinic's [Brown Fertility-Orlando] strengths are in the number of pregnancies that come out of the office. I believe the weakness is just making sure there is a Dr available to talk to at all times. I was scheduled for a surgery and it had to be re scheduled due to the Dr.'s schedule. It was frustrating but at the end of the day, everything was fine.... [the nurses were] Always friendly and caring while being informative.
How was your experience with Rafael Cabrera at Brown Fertility?
Don't be afraid to ask him to speak slower.
I have always felt compassion from Dr. Cabrera. He has taken the time to explain things to me that I needed to understand. At some points I have felt more like "a number" when I was told IVF was my best option. It might be my best but it's not my only... so I chose to go with less expensive treatments first.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brown Fertility.
Always friendly and caring while being informative.
Describe your experience with Brown Fertility.
I think the clinic's strengths are in the number of pregnancies that come out of the office. I believe the weakness is just making sure there is a Dr available to talk to at all times. I was scheduled for a surgery and it had to be re scheduled due to the Dr.'s schedule. It was frustrating but at the end of the day, everything was fine.
My insurance has paid for diagnostic care so we only paid a $45.00 co pay when having regular visits. We pay out of pocket for IUI but we haven't finished that so we don't have a full number.
What specific things went wrong at Brown Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brown Fertility.
The one time that things didn't go as planned was not the clinic's fault. It was all my insurance company's fault. My insurance company told my clinic that we had 100% IVF coverage when we actually had 0%. We went through the whole teaching and signed paperwork to start the whole process and then found out that we needed to come up with the money ourselves. That was not an option so we decided to move forward with other treatments.