Medical SchoolSind
Bethesda, MD 20817
Arlington
1635 N. George Mason Dr
Arlington, VA 22205
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Rafat Abbasi to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Columbia Fertility Associates to a friend?
2012
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
Dr Abbasi saw that I had had 3 miscarriages already and so she really wanted to get to the bottom of it...She ordered tests that showed a bacterial infection and thus put me on a protocol for antibiotics. I had been taking Chinese herbs on my own for months while taking a TTC break so I insisted on doing one unmedicated IUI. She agreed to let me do only one and insisted that I do back-to-back inseminations in two days. It worked out well because I did get pregnant but it turned out to be my fourth miscarriage. Then she really went to town on bloodwork and ordered special immunological testing that was not considered mainstream. She sent me to a hematologist to interpret the results. He recommended that I do IVIG prior to transfer .
2012
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
How was your experience with Rafat Abbasi at Columbia Fertility Associates?
Dr Abbasi is very straightforward and not as chatty as other doctors. However I felt that she was very interested in coming up with a protocol to address my miscarriages. She ordered tests that showed a bacterial infection and thus put me on a protocol for antibiotics. I had been taking Chinese herbs on my own for months while taking a TTC break so I insisted on doing one unmedicated IUI. She agreed to let me do only one and insisted that I do back-to-back inseminations in two days. It worked out well because I did get pregnant but it turned out to be my fourth miscarriage. Then she really went to town on bloodwork and ordered special immunological testing that was not considered mainstream. She sent me to a hematologist to interpret the results. He recommended that I do IVIG prior to transfer .
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rafat Abbasi at Columbia Fertility Associates?
I would say that she is an excellent doctor so don't be put off by her manner. She might be a bit brusque but she used to be a military doctor! I think she was in the Army.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rafat Abbasi at Columbia Fertility Associates?
Describe the protocols Rafat Abbasi used in your cycles at Columbia Fertility Associates and their degree of success.
Dr Abbasi let me do an unmedicated cycle but also antibiotics for a bacterial infection. I did use a trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Can't remember -- so mad!)
I can't believe I can't remember her name because she was amazing and took so much time and was the best. Will look up her name in my records and emails.
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
If you can get to the Bethesda clinic of CFA, it is much smaller and much calmer. You have to go down to the bottom floor for your blood tests but the nurse was so nice there compared to the super busy nurses at the D.C. Clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rafat Abbasi at Columbia Fertility Associates.
I did a double IUI for an unmedicated cycle with a trigger shot. Will have to look up my costs!
Washington DC
2010 - 2011
She [Dr. Abbasi] was patient with my questions and honest about my chances. She agreed that IUI made sense first (given my age and medical history) and explained that after 6 cycles, she would recommend other options. ("cross that bridge when we come to it") When I got pregnant with twins (I'm a single mom), she was amazing candid about explaining how selective reduction would work--although I did not decide to go that route in the end...She was upfront and honest. I found her to be warm, but honestly I'm fine with more medical facts and less bedside manner.
2010 - 2011
How was your experience with Rafat Abbasi at Columbia Fertility Associates?
She was upfront and honest. I found her to be warm, but honestly I'm fine with more medical facts and less bedside manner. She was super cool with me being single. It really never came up after I explained why I was there in the beginning.
She has a piecemeal approach--don't think about things too far down the road if you don't need to. Don't do tests that you don't need to. I really liked that.
She was patient with my questions and honest about my chances. She agreed that IUI made sense first (given my age and medical history) and explained that after 6 cycles, she would recommend other options. ("cross that bridge when we come to it") When I got pregnant with twins (I'm a single mom), she was amazing candid about explaining how selective reduction would work--although I did not decide to go that route in the end. No judgment at all about any of it.
We tried two cycles without any clomid or injections. (My choice.) Then we tried one cycle with clomid and an injection. She was supportive of my decision to try and do it naturally, but was also supportive when I changed my mind.
As I recall they were fine. Professional and organized. The clinic seemed to run on time.
Describe your experience with Columbia Fertility Associates.
They have a number of locations which is good and they have a central location that is open on the weekends if you need it. They seemed well run. The insurance person was amazing. She knew more about my coverage than the people on the help line at the insurance company. I was shocked at how much of my treatments were covered by my insurance.
I paid for the sperm and I paid for the defrosting and prep of the sperm. I think that the sperm was about $750 a vial and the prep was $250. My insurance covered everything else.
Arlington
2009 - 2012
1 IUI, 6 IVF, Donor Eggs
Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
Dr. Abassi was trustworthy and compassionate, but straight to the point. She did not sugar-coat anything...She was compassionate. It's [Columbia Fertility Associates] a smaller clinic so it didn't feel like a factory. The doctor spent many visits talking to me and spending more time than expected.
2009 - 2012
1 IUI, 6 IVF, Donor Eggs
Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
How was your experience with Rafat Abbasi at Columbia Fertility Associates?
Dr. Abassi was trustworthy and compassionate, but straight to the point. She did not sugar-coat anything. She made recommendations that ultimately resulted in a pregnancy. She was compassionate.
She has your best interest at heart. She does not sugar coat anything.
It's a smaller clinic so it didn't feel like a factory. The doctor spent many visits talking to me and spending more time than expected. They always returned calls and made suggestions for treatments.
It was a small group and they listened and were attentive.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Columbia Fertility Associates.
Monitoring appointments were done early in the morning. I always tried to get there as early as possible so I wouldn't have to wait a long time. At times it was stressful if only 1 nurse was available.
Bethesda
2009 - 2010
1 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
She [Dr. Abbasi] was thorough and open. We liked her.We did not work with her for very long because we moved out of the area. She was personable and careful. We trusted her and would have continued with her if we had not moved.
2009 - 2010
1 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Rafat Abbasi at Washington Fertility Center?
She was thorough and open. We liked her.We did not work with her for very long because we moved out of the area. She was personable and careful. We trusted her and would have continued with her if we had not moved. I don't remember having any problems with this practice. I don't think we ever felt hurried or ignored. I'm sure we would have gone on to the next option after we tried an unsuccessful insemination, but we moved.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rafat Abbasi at Washington Fertility Center?
She seemed very genuine. We had a good experience.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rafat Abbasi at Washington Fertility Center?
They were professional and efficient but very human and kind
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rafat Abbasi at Washington Fertility Center.
Covered by insurance