Medical SchoolU. of Hamburg
ResidencyYale
FellowshipMayo Clinic
123 W. 79th St
212-750-3330
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ralf Zimmermann to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 2Neutral: 2Don't recommend: 17.4
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Neway Medical to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 19Neutral: 6Don't recommend: 78
Terribly long wait times [at Columbia U - Manhattan], difficulty getting in and out for even just a blood draw. Very difficult to get in touch with doctor by phone, even after days of calling and leaving messages. Didn't like seeing a different doctor every time...Some [nurses] were more informative, friendly and patient than others but all were relatively warm...
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Terribly long wait times, difficulty getting in and out for even just a blood draw. Very difficult to get in touch with doctor by phone, even after days of calling and leaving messages. Didn't like seeing a different doctor every time
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
Things began okay- he was warm, informative, and thorough during the initial consult. Unfortunately, as time went on it was clear that he did not remember who I was no matter how many times I called or returned for an appointment. On one occasion he forgot something he had advised and we had discussed directly regarding my course of treatment and on another occasion I discovered (from his nurse) that he had forgotten to tell me about an additional test I needed which nearly interfered with my next planned IUI. He was never rude or impatient but my impression over time was that he couldnt keep track of all his patients and just went with a "one size fits all" type of approach.
Some were more informative, friendly and patient than others but all were relatively warm
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
How was your experience with Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
He was kind, intelligent, and informative- particularly at the initial consult. However, as time went by I found it more and more difficult as I rarely saw him when at the clinic and had an extremely difficult time reaching him by phone and he never seemed to remember who I was or the details of my case/treatment. On one occasion he forgot to include his DEA number on my prescription causing me to waste extra time as I had to return to the clinic to get a new prescription. And ultimately I felt he just followed a "one size fits all" approach. I lost my first pregnancy (due to a chromosomal abnormality) which was the result of my second natural cycle IUI (no medication). Despite this, Dr. Zimmermann strongly advised that I take Clomid for any subsequent IUIs. I followed his advice once however, the Clomid caused significant discomfort and did not result in a pregnancy. I then got a second opinion from another reproductive endocrinologist who indicated that would not have been his recommendation due to some adverse effects of Clomid and due to the fact that I had already gotten pregnant with a natural cycle, had no known documented fertility problems and good ovarian reserve. Against Dr. Zimmermann's advice, I decided to go back to a natural cycle (no Clomid) on my next try which resulted in a healthy pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
You probably have to stay on top of him by calling or going in constantly otherwise things may get missed.
Describe the protocols Ralf Zimmermann used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Advised Clomid after a miscarriage even though I had no documented fertility problems and had gotten pregnant on my second natural cycle of IUI because he said that at my age (39) it would improve my chances.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University.
Most were covered by my health insurance
Columbia University
It is very efficient and it is clear it works, but it does give off a Factory feeling [at Comumbia U - Manhattan]. You go from one place to another and everything is very routine. If you are new you may feel a bit lost and confused until you figure out how the system works. For example you sign in and walk to billing first and then you have to wait to be paged into the section you are scheduled for...
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It is very efficient and it is clear it works, but it does give off a Factory feeling. You go from one place to another and everything is very routine. If you are new you may feel a bit lost and confused until you figure out how the system works. For example you sign in and walk to billing first and then you have to wait to be paged into the section you are scheduled for.
He was very honest and open about what needed to be done. As an SMC he made me feel accepted and did not judge based on my circumstances or age.
Although I saw different nurses, I felt That they all were efficient and communicated well what was expected. Many of them were friendly and would remember their patients.
How was your experience with Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
He was very experienced and took the time to explain the next steps and answer questions. He was not judgmental and very encouraging. Whenever I left a message he responded in a timely matter. Although he didn't perform my procedures he did make sure to walk me through every step and process before it occurred.
I would say that although the clinic is big and it seems like a factory being run, Dr. Zimmerman will be there to help you if you reach out.
He first did a blood test and discovered I had Beta Thalasemia trait. That helped me to pick a sperm donor that did not have that. I also had to do an HSG to make sure the Fallopian tubes were clear. I also had blood tests and ultrasounds to track and time ovulation. Finally I did the iui. After I became pregnant, he continued to monitor my hcg with bloodwork and had an ultrasound at 6 weeks before he released me.
My insurance covered most of it. However, the iui was around $800 and then I had to pay $50 to intake the sperm that I ordered.
Columbia University
Strengths [of Columbia U] are the lower cost versus other clinics, and that they take insurance to cover most aspects of the procedure. They also offer a first time cycle discount which luckily for us made it more affordable....Biggest weakness is the difficulty communicating with the office at times....There was some confusion over what the process was for us to acquire the medications we needed thru our insurance....There generally was a long wait, but they have now shifted to an appointment based system.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths are the lower cost versus other clinics, and that they take insurance to cover most aspects of the procedure. They also offer a first time cycle discount which luckily for us made it more affordable. The available statistics for their success is a little bit worse than other clinics in NYC, but its hard to tell if thats because they are less selective about who they will treat. Biggest weakness is the difficulty communicating with the office at times.
While it can be tough at times to get thru to the staff there, Dr Zimmerman always made himself available and was responsive to our needs.
It's very difficult to reach them via the phone, and when you do and ask a question, its hard to get a response. In person I found the staff to always be professional and competent.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
How was your experience with Ralf Zimmermann at Columbia University?
The bottom line for me is ultimately results, and we had a successful IVF pregnancy in one cycle. We're into the third trimester and knock on wood everything has gone very well. We always felt like Dr Zimmerman was highly competent, and have nothing but positive things to say about him as a doctor.
Be patient and understand that the clinic itself is a little over worked and you will be frustrated by some things.
Our case didn't really involve too much starter.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Columbia University.
Columbia University
After several exams, Dr Zimmermann suggested to try an IUI (intrauterine insemination)...Dr Zimmermann was extremely patient with me and all my questions. He seemed to be very concerned about my exams and my wish to get pregnant. He explained to us the procedure in detail and took all necessary exams prior the IUI...The procedure went very well and after a first try I got pregnant with twins! I am now 15 weeks pregnant, extremely happy with 2 healthy babies.
How was your experience with Ralf Zimmermann at Neway Medical?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralf Zimmermann at Neway Medical?
At the clinic the whole staff: nurses, doctors (Dr Zimmermann and Dr Kort), assistants… was extremely professional and nice.
The nursing staff was amazing: professional, human, friendly...
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
At 39 years old and after several years trying to conceive naturally, my husband and I decided to get help with a fertility clinic. Based on a friend’s recommendations, we went to Neway fertility clinic (123 W. 79th St, New York, NY 10024). Immediately I felt confident that we made the right choice as the whole staff: nurses, doctors (Dr Zimmermann and Dr Kort), assistants… was extremely professional and nice. After several exams, Dr Zimmermann suggested to try an IUI (intrauterine insemination). The procedure went very well and after a first try I got pregnant with twins! I am now 15 weeks pregnant, extremely happy with 2 healthy babies. I really wanted to share my experience online with this clinic as the service was simply perfect. I highly recommend this clinic to any woman who is looking for help to conceive. 39 years old – French
Endometriosis, PCOS
[Dr. Ralf Zimmermann] is the best. He is a very smart man and treatment me with the utmost respect. He would call back immediately when he was not able to answer my calls. He's always available through emails...took his time to speak with me. He did not push me to make any quick decisions...Be proactive and ask questions.
Endometriosis, PCOS
How was your experience with Ralf Zimmermann at Neway Medical?
Dr. Zimmermann is the best. He is a very smart man and treatment me with the utmost respect. He would call back immediately when he was not able to answer my calls. He's always available through emails.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralf Zimmermann at Neway Medical?
Be proactive and ask questions.
Dr. Zimmermann took his time to speak with me. He did not push me to make any quick decisions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Neway Medical.
We get one-on-one time with our nurses. Every patient was assigned to a nurse that will help you throughout the process. They're very supportive throughout the treatments.
Describe your experience with Neway Medical.
I love that they open early to accommodate those who work during the day. There will always be a person picking up the phone when you call in. It would be great if they can keep the center opened late to accommodate those who cannot make it in before work.