Neway Medical

Icon emailNurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Hamburg
ResidencyYale
FellowshipMayo Clinic
123 W. 79th St
212-750-3330
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ralf Zimmermann to a friend?
Neutral: 2Don't recommend: 15.7
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Neway Medical to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 16Neutral: 6Don't recommend: 77.8
Unfortunately, as time went on it was clear that he [Dr. Zimmermann] did not remember who I was no matter how many times I called or returned for an appointment. On one occasion he forgot something he had advised and we had discussed directly regarding my course of treatment and on another occasion I discovered (from his nurse) that he had forgotten to tell me about an additional test I needed which nearly interfered with my next planned IUI. He was never rude or impatient but my impression over time was that he couldnt keep track of all his patients and just went with a "one size fits all" type of approach...
How was your experience with Ralf Zimmermann?
He was kind, intelligent, and informative- particularly at the initial consult. However, as time went by I found it more and more difficult as I rarely saw him when at the clinic and had an extremely difficult time reaching him by phone and he never seemed to remember who I was or the details of my case/treatment. On one occasion he forgot to include his DEA number on my prescription causing me to waste extra time as I had to return to the clinic to get a new prescription. And ultimately I felt he just followed a "one size fits all" approach. I lost my first pregnancy (due to a chromosomal abnormality) which was the result of my second natural cycle IUI (no medication). Despite this, Dr. Zimmermann strongly advised that I take Clomid for any subsequent IUIs. I followed his advice once however, the Clomid caused significant discomfort and did not result in a pregnancy. I then got a second opinion from another reproductive endocrinologist who indicated that would not have been his recommendation due to some adverse effects of Clomid and due to the fact that I had already gotten pregnant with a natural cycle, had no known documented fertility problems and good ovarian reserve. Against Dr. Zimmermann's advice, I decided to go back to a natural cycle (no Clomid) on my next try which resulted in a healthy pregnancy.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralf Zimmermann?
You probably have to stay on top of him by calling or going in constantly otherwise things may get missed.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Things began okay- he was warm, informative, and thorough during the initial consult. Unfortunately, as time went on it was clear that he did not remember who I was no matter how many times I called or returned for an appointment. On one occasion he forgot something he had advised and we had discussed directly regarding my course of treatment and on another occasion I discovered (from his nurse) that he had forgotten to tell me about an additional test I needed which nearly interfered with my next planned IUI. He was never rude or impatient but my impression over time was that he couldnt keep track of all his patients and just went with a "one size fits all" type of approach.
Describe the protocols Ralf Zimmermann used in your cycles and their degree of success.
Advised Clomid after a miscarriage even though I had no documented fertility problems and had gotten pregnant on my second natural cycle of IUI because he said that at my age (39) it would improve my chances.
Some were more informative, friendly and patient than others but all were relatively warm
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Terribly long wait times, difficulty getting in and out for even just a blood draw. Very difficult to get in touch with doctor by phone, even after days of calling and leaving messages. Didn't like seeing a different doctor every time
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralf Zimmermann.
Most were covered by my health insurance
What specific things went wrong at this clinic?
Columbia University
He [Dr. Zimmermann] was very experienced and took the time to explain the next steps and answer questions. He was not judgmental and very encouraging. Whenever I left a message he responded in a timely matter. Although he didn't perform my procedures he did make sure to walk me through every step and process before it occurred...He was very honest and open about what needed to be done. As an SMC he made me feel accepted and did not judge based on my circumstances or age...
How was your experience with Ralf Zimmermann?
He was very experienced and took the time to explain the next steps and answer questions. He was not judgmental and very encouraging. Whenever I left a message he responded in a timely matter. Although he didn't perform my procedures he did make sure to walk me through every step and process before it occurred.
I would say that although the clinic is big and it seems like a factory being run, Dr. Zimmerman will be there to help you if you reach out.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
He first did a blood test and discovered I had Beta Thalasemia trait. That helped me to pick a sperm donor that did not have that. I also had to do an HSG to make sure the Fallopian tubes were clear. I also had blood tests and ultrasounds to track and time ovulation. Finally I did the iui. After I became pregnant, he continued to monitor my hcg with bloodwork and had an ultrasound at 6 weeks before he released me.
Although I saw different nurses, I felt That they all were efficient and communicated well what was expected. Many of them were friendly and would remember their patients.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
It is very efficient and it is clear it works, but it does give off a Factory feeling. You go from one place to another and everything is very routine. If you are new you may feel a bit lost and confused until you figure out how the system works. For example you sign in and walk to billing first and then you have to wait to be paged into the section you are scheduled for.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralf Zimmermann.
My insurance covered most of it. However, the iui was around $800 and then I had to pay $50 to intake the sperm that I ordered.
Columbia University
We always felt like Dr Zimmerman was highly competent, and have nothing but positive things to say about him as a doctor....While it can be tough at times to get thru to the staff there, Dr Zimmerman always made himself available and was responsive to our needs....Be patient and understand that the clinic itself is a little over worked and you will be frustrated by some things....Be patient and understand that the clinic itself is a little over worked and you will be frustrated by some things.
How was your experience with Ralf Zimmermann?
The bottom line for me is ultimately results, and we had a successful IVF pregnancy in one cycle. We're into the third trimester and knock on wood everything has gone very well. We always felt like Dr Zimmerman was highly competent, and have nothing but positive things to say about him as a doctor.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Our case didn't really involve too much starter.
It's very difficult to reach them via the phone, and when you do and ask a question, its hard to get a response. In person I found the staff to always be professional and competent.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths are the lower cost versus other clinics, and that they take insurance to cover most aspects of the procedure. They also offer a first time cycle discount which luckily for us made it more affordable. The available statistics for their success is a little bit worse than other clinics in NYC, but its hard to tell if thats because they are less selective about who they will treat. Biggest weakness is the difficulty communicating with the office at times.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
There generally was a long wait, but they have now shifted to an appointment based system.
What specific things went wrong at this clinic?