Medical SchoolTufts
FellowshipUCSD
259 E. Erie St
Chicago, IL 60611
312-695-7269
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ralph Kazer to a friend?

6.7

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
While I like Dr. Kazer, there are many physicians at this practice, and so decisions regarding my treatment plan have not always been made by him. I'm not confident that they reviewed my chart prior to making their recommendations...Dr. Kazer does take the time to call you if you request it...He has a dry sense of humor...Be prepared to have a mandatory "psych eval", which they say is based on standard-of-care guideline recommendations. My insurance didn't cover this, and I had to pay $375 out of pocket for what was completely unnecessary.
How was your experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He has a dry sense of humor
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kazer does take the time to call you if you request it
Describe the protocols Ralph Kazer used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
So far we are doing medicated IUI cycles.
The nursing staff here is terrible. They are cold and frankly, don't seem particularly knowledgable. On multiple occasions, I've received incorrect information from them. Furthermore, I understand that people are allowed to get pregnant, but I think it's particularly insensitive to have a pregnant nurse interacting with infertility patients.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I've been really disappointed in this clinic overall. Everything feels disorganized. I've had issues with the check-in desk, the financial coordinators have provided incorrect information, and I don't find the nursing staff warm or knowledgable. Many times, the ultrasound techs don't even introduce themselves. Be prepared to have a mandatory "psych eval", which they say is based on standard-of-care guideline recommendations. My insurance didn't cover this, and I had to pay $375 out of pocket for what was completely unnecessary. I don't need someone to tell me this is going to be a stressful experience. Based upon my experiences, I don't think I will continue to seek treatment here.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
IUI's are $585 Parking is $11 Psych Consult was $375 HSG was $1092 Each ultrasound is $286 Each day of labs are $$251
Describe Ralph Kazer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
unknown
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They booked me for an egg freezing procedure on the day I was there for my HSG. My financial counselor never called
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Ralph Kazer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

If you need warm and fuzzy, you probably are best seeking out someone else...Dr. Kazer is very factual and does not mince words. He does show compassion, but he isn't a "warm and fuzzy" doctor. In my opinion, I really like that he is straightforward and factual. He says what needs to be said and lets you digest the information. He is happy to explain and answer questions and will not sugar-coat information. I trust him to provide me with the best fertility care.
While going through my IUI's [at Northwestern] there was a different nurse administering the sample each time. Now that I am going into IVF, I have a main point of contact that is in charge of my IVF program. All the nurses I have met and been treated by have been very professional, knowledgeable, and nice...They are a well oiled machine and are able to assist quite a few patients in a reasonable amount of time. They have early hours that are accessible to those who work an 8-5 schedule. It was also extremely nice that all things fertility (IUI, IVF, procedures, labs, etc..) were all located within the office.
If you need warm and fuzzy, you probably are best seeking out someone else.
We had a late D&E due to my cervix thinning out with twins. Dr. Kazer actually visited us while in the hospital to speak with us and let us know that we could expect future pregnancies to go better than the one that put us in the hospital. He also reached out to me after our loss to express his condolences.
We got pregnant with twins initially with our first round of IUI with Clomid and Ovidrell. After we lost the babies, we tried IUI again for 4 rounds unsuccessfully. We are now about to start IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce Kane)
While going through my IUI's there was a different nurse administering the sample each time. Now that I am going into IVF, I have a main point of contact that is in charge of my IVF program. All the nurses I have met and been treated by have been very professional, knowledgeable, and nice.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Going to Northwestern downtown, it is expensive to park. The new area where the clinic is located, is gorgeous. The views are amazing. They are a well oiled machine and are able to assist quite a few patients in a reasonable amount of time. They have early hours that are accessible to those who work an 8-5 schedule. It was also extremely nice that all things fertility (IUI, IVF, procedures, labs, etc..) were all located within the office.
Most people in IL are able to get multiple rounds of IVF paid for, but unfortunately because I work for small company, I was not as luck. We have to pay $10,000 for the IVF treatment coming up. For each IUI, it was approximately $780. Medication is a separate cost which is about $4,500 for IVF and $150 for IUI.
We will only do single embryo transfer because of my history of a thinning cervix with twins. I completely agree with his strategy.

2013 - 2016
He [Dr. Kazer] was very Matter of fact and didn't sugar coat anything. He just told us the treatment and odds. My husband liked this quality about him, but I prefer more compassion and listening and individual attention. He was good at answering my questions, but I had to prompt him. He didn't offer a lot of information up front. Most of my interaction with the clinic was through the RNs and APNs and sometimes I didn't feel like they were communicating all my questions or concerns to him. Overall, I knew he had a lot of experience and I trusted his expertise, I just wish he was better at communicating his thoughts and reasonings with us...
[Northwestern Med] Strengths-early morning hours, efficient, beautiful location, prompt responses. Weaknesses- expensive parking (even with discount), not a lot of individual attention, didn't feel as if they knew me or my story at all. Overall I have had a good experience, but not exceptional. It may be different when going through IVF...They were very prompt at replying to my calls or messages, which I always appreciated...
2013 - 2016
He was very Matter of fact and didn't sugar coat anything. He just told us the treatment and odds. My husband liked this quality about him, but I prefer more compassion and listening and individual attention. He was good at answering my questions, but I had to prompt him. He didn't offer a lot of information up front. Most of my interaction with the clinic was through the RNs and APNs and sometimes I didn't feel like they were communicating all my questions or concerns to him. Overall, I knew he had a lot of experience and I trusted his expertise, I just wish he was better at communicating his thoughts and reasonings with us.
Come with lots of questions ready.
There wasn't a lot of one on one attention to our particular story. It felt like, 'well this is how we do things so let's try it.' There wasn't a lot of investigating the why.
We have unexplained infertility and got pregnant the first IUI + 50 mg clomid + trigger shot cycle. When we returned 3 years later, we tried this again twice. Then after no success, we tried same protocol with 100 mg clomid (to increase the follicles) for 2 more times. No luck so far. We are currently deciding whether or not to do one final IUI or proceed to IVF.
They were very prompt at replying to my calls or messages, which I always appreciated. The downside was that it was often clear that they didn't review my chart before seeing me and needed me to fill in a lot of the blanks regarding my treatment. There was no continuity of care as I saw a new RN almost each time. I didn't feel like they knew me or my story.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Covered by insurance, so I am not sure of the costs (paid deductible).

2005 - 2011
Dr. Kazer was attentive and approachable. He communicated regularly and clearly. He was kind and patient with my husband and me...Dr. Kazer was kind and compassionate. He was upfront with all information clearly set objectives. He was confident and professional while maintaining a good bedside manner. He always returned phone calls and called with test results himself...I have referred Dr. Kazer to several other friends who are experiencing problems conceiving.
The clinic [Northwestern Med] was downtown so convenient with parking available. The timing for visits made it possible for me to receive treatments, go for tests, bloodwork, ultrasounds and still go to work...The nurses were so friendly. With the multiple visits, they were always so friendly and kind. They seemed like friends by the time the process was over...We needed to pay for freezing and testing sperm. We needed to pay with co-pays for hormone pills and injections.
2005 - 2011
Make an appointment with him. He knows his profession and is an amazing doctor.
Dr. Kazer was attentive and approachable. He communicated regularly and clearly. He was kind and patient with my husband and me. I have referred Dr. Kazer to several other friends who are experiencing problems conceiving.
With my son, we used clomid first to stimulate growth. We then moved on to IUI. Again we used clomid and injections to release the eggs. We had 3 IUI resulting in 1 single successful pregnancy. When I went back to see Dr. Kazer to conceive again, we went directly to IUI. Clomid and an injection to release eggs. After one failed IUI, we began the IVF process. I cannot remember the drug names. I used some hormonal injections to grow eggs. We did the retrieval and progesterone shots following. I had 2 single transfers of embryos and then transferred 2 embryos resulting in multiple(twin) pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was downtown so convenient with parking available. The timing for visits made it possible for me to receive treatments, go for tests, bloodwork, ultrasounds and still go to work.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It was very efficient. Hours of availability made the process easier.
My insurance covered most everything. We needed to pay for freezing and testing sperm. We needed to pay with co-pays for hormone pills and injections.
Dr. Kazer gave me the choice for the eSET and then recommended the multiple embryo transfer when the 2 eSET were unsuccessful

2011 - 2014
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr Kazer was hands on and as invested in getting me pregnant as I was. Dr Kazer always took the time to talk to me in person or on the phone about my treatment. While being very upfront with medicine and its statistics he remained a my cheerleader as well. He was always warm, and when he could add humor to the situation he never hesitated.
Dr Kazer [at Northwestern Fertility] was hands on and as invested in getting me pregnant as I was. Dr Kazer always took the time to talk to me in person or on the phone about my treatment. While being very upfront with medicine and its statistics he remained a my cheerleader as well. He was always warm, and when he could add humor to the situation he never hesitated.
2011 - 2014
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Unexplained
Totally trust him. He knows what he is doing.
Dr Kazer was very upfront medically while being very caring compassionate and funny.
They always asked you to call them anytime to talk about anything.

2011 - 2012
He [Dr. Ralph Kazer] cares but doesn't sugar coat anything which I like...He is blunt and truthful. He is also caring and compassionate. He lets you know factually how likely pregnancy is and doesn't give any false hopes. I am happy he was my doctor. He was extremely helpful...I had to do injections anf daily blood draws then use progesterone to keep levels high
2011 - 2012
Ask as many questions as you. Red to feel comfortable about the process
He cares but doesn't sugar coat anything which I like
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Very nice clean and helpful staff