5.8

Wash U. St. Louis

Randall Odem (retired) works in 1 office at

4444 Forest Park Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63108

Dr. Odem is very compassionate and competent. He has a lot of knowledge and experience and really cares about you as a patient. He takes his time and fully explains everything. He went out of his way to talk to me at length when the cycle did not go as planned due to my body’s response...will go above and beyond to answer any questions you have in between visits and during cycle...He really encourages only transferring one but will allow you to make that decision. We transferred one the first time and two the second.
The [Washington University School of Medicine] clinic overall really does care about their patients. From the receptionist who learns your name to the nurse and doctor. They help a lot of people achieve pregnancy. They are a large clinic though and sometimes it can be frustrating as the care is not as personal as it could be at a smaller clinic. I felt my treatment wasn’t as specific to my case as it could have been.
How was your experience with Randall Odem (retired) at Washington University School of Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Odem (retired) at Washington University School of Medicine?
Ask questions for anything you don’t understand and he will explain things further!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Odem (retired) at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Odem takes a long time with you every time you meet and will go above and beyond to answer any questions you have in between visits and during cycle.
Describe the protocols Randall Odem (retired) used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
For IVF he used an antagonist protocol due to me having PCOS. He had my medications at the lowest dose due to fear of OHSS but it took my ovaries longer than expected so I was stimulated for 16 days much longer than was expected. I think this was a downside to my cycle and I did not get as many follicles as I had hoped. The number of eggs was 20 but the number of mature really was only 11.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Crystal)
Crystal his main nurse is very prompt at responding and very helpful. She is also compassionate and understanding.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic overall really does care about their patients. From the receptionist who learns your name to the nurse and doctor. They help a lot of people achieve pregnancy. They are a large clinic though and sometimes it can be frustrating as the care is not as personal as it could be at a smaller clinic. I felt my treatment wasn’t as specific to my case as it could have been.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Washington University School of Medicine.
Monitoring appointments were super flexible and a well oiled machine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Odem (retired) at Washington University School of Medicine.
IVF was 11,500 and a frozen transfer was $4,000 but BJC recently raised the prices to around $13,400 for IVF and $4,800 for FET. These are private pay prices
Describe Randall Odem (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Randall Odem (retired)
St. Louis - Central West End

In our first appointment with Dr. Odem he took the time to sit down with my husband and i, hear our story of ttc and what we had done with our previous RE and came up with a plan of action. He took me off some medications that the doctor before had flippantly put me on and I was grateful for his knowledge.... He is kind and compassionate, willing to change a protocol if something is not working... We started on Letrozole for one cycle to get myself to ovulate
Clinic [WashU School of Med] is easily accessible if you work or live in the city. They are willing to accommodate appointments/procedures on Saturdays instead of making you work with their schedule, they work with yours. They are a bigger clinic so you may not get to see your doctor every appointment but the nursing staff has all been wonderful so far and i feel like we're getting great care. Love that they have a lab within their clinic so you get blood results back within the same day typically.
He is kind and compassionate, willing to change a protocol if something is not working. He took the time to listen to our story and helped us come up with a plan that we were all on board with and adjustments if we ran into problems.
We started on Letrozole for one cycle to get myself to ovulate and then the next cycle did the same protocol since i was able to ovulate the previous month. We are going in for our first IUI this cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Washington University School of Medicine.
The nursing staff has been wonderful. If you leave a message, they call you back within an hour or two at the most. They take time to answer questions and address concerns.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Clinic is easily accessible if you work or live in the city. They are willing to accommodate appointments/procedures on Saturdays instead of making you work with their schedule, they work with yours. They are a bigger clinic so you may not get to see your doctor every appointment but the nursing staff has all been wonderful so far and i feel like we're getting great care. Love that they have a lab within their clinic so you get blood results back within the same day typically.
Randall Odem (retired)