5.3

nurse available by email
Randle Corfman works at

12000 Elm Creek Blvd. N.
Maple Grove, MN 55369

Dr. Corfman tells it like it is, which we appreciated.... I've come to realize that Dr. C is kind of "old school" and so is the way he does IVF. He has one cookie-cutter IVF protocol and I think it probably works for a lot of people, but it didn't feel right for us. We wanted to work with a doctor who would be more considerate of my low AMH, and would modify the protocol accordingly.... If you feel a "standard" IVF protocol is a good fit for you, Dr. C is your guy!
[Midwest Ctr for Repro Health is] a smaller clinic with a more homey feel. It was never busy in the waiting room, I rarely saw other patients. The clinic is easy to get a hold of and they return calls promptly. I always wished they used the portal/email more since sometimes that's easier than using the phone. One big weakness is that the eligibility criteria for their "VIP" program for IVF are tough. Basically, if they aren't confident you will have success after 1 or 3 cycles of IVF, you probably will not qualify.
How was your experience with Randle Corfman at Midwest Center for Reproductive Health?
We were referred to Dr. Corfman by a friend of ours (who had success doing IVF with him). My husband and I both felt that he was thorough and straightforward during our consultation. Despite my low AMH (1.1), he put us in the "unexplained infertility" category, though this diagnosis was not verbally mentioned to us, it was just written on our paperwork. He recommended we do anywhere from 0-6 medicated cycles (letrozole, trigger, progesterone) and made us feel confident we would not need IVF. We left the consultation feeling hopeful and decided we would do 2-3 of the medicated cycles. Our first medicated cycle was canceled because they found a cyst on my ovaries during the baseline ultrasound. Dr. C recommended I do a month of birth control to get rid of the cyst and prevent others. The next month we were able to go ahead with the medicated cycle and everything went well. However, when the cycle resulted in a negative beta, my husband and I elected to pursue IVF. During IVF prep, Dr. C ordered day 3 blood tests (AMH, FSH, etc), a saline sonogram, and he put me on birth control pills for down-regulation, which I would be taking for 5 (!) weeks so that I fit into his schedule. When I went in for the saline sono (which he performed and did a great job), he told me my AMH had dropped to 0.7. Then, during the procedure, he could see that my ovaries looked "small" (they counted 6 follicles). He then explained that having fewer eggs meant less chance of success with IVF. He said that we would go ahead with stims, but if I didn't have at least 4 eggs by retrieval, the cycle would be canceled at that point and we would be out $6k-$8k. Needless to say, that appointment did not make me feel good. My husband and I decided to press pause and seek a second opinion. I've come to realize that Dr. C is kind of "old school" and so is the way he does IVF. He has one cookie-cutter IVF protocol and I think it probably works for a lot of people, but it didn't feel right for us. We wanted to work with a doctor who would be more considerate of my low AMH, and would modify the protocol accordingly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randle Corfman at Midwest Center for Reproductive Health?
Do your research. If you feel a "standard" IVF protocol is a good fit for you, Dr. C is your guy! If, like me, you have low AMH or need more specialized care for another reason, I would suggesting seeking treatment elsewhere.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randle Corfman at Midwest Center for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Corfman tells it like it is, which we appreciated. The nurses, who you will work with the most if you choose to go to this clinic, are so kind and considerate. They wish you a genuine "good luck" with each treatment, and they express sincere condolences when things don't go as hoped. They're also easy to reach by phone.
Describe the protocols Randle Corfman used in your cycles at Midwest Center for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
For my medicated cycle, I was on letrozole from day 3 to 12 of my cycle. I don't remember the dose. I responded well to letrozole and it looked like I might ovulate 2-3 eggs which is what we wanted. The letrozole did lower my estrogen enough that they started me on estrace (oral). On day 12 we were instructed to do a Ovidrel trigger, have sex that night, and have sex again on day 14. On day 15 I started crinone (vaginal progesterone). Beta was negative and they had me stop the estrogen and progesterone supplementation. We started IVF prep with Dr C and he had me doing 5 weeks of birth control pills for down-regulation (we then sought a second opinion and stopped treatment with Dr C).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Midwest Center for Reproductive Health.
All of the nurses were so kind. They were also easy to reach by phone. The nurses manage pretty much all of monitoring and appointments. They are good about telling you what they see during an ultrasound (lining measurement, number of follicles, follicle measurements, etc) which is so nice.
Describe your experience with Midwest Center for Reproductive Health.
It's a smaller clinic with a more homey feel. It was never busy in the waiting room, I rarely saw other patients. The clinic is easy to get a hold of and they return calls promptly. I always wished they used the portal/email more since sometimes that's easier than using the phone. One big weakness is that the eligibility criteria for their "VIP" program for IVF are tough. Basically, if they aren't confident you will have success after 1 or 3 cycles of IVF, you probably will not qualify. It became clear to us that the VIP program is more of a money making thing for them than it is a way to make IVF more accessible and successful for their patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randle Corfman at Midwest Center for Reproductive Health.
The medicated cycle (no IUI) was about $1500 I believe, mostly because of monitoring. One round of IVF was going to be close to $20k.
Describe Randle Corfman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Midwest Center for Reproductive Health.
Dr C seems to be more open to multiple embryo transfer than other clinics. He explained the success rates of transferring 1 vs 2 embryos - I think he said it was a 45% (or so) chance that a singleton would stick, and if we transferred 2 embryos, it was a 68% chance 1 would stick and 70% chance they both would. We didn't discuss the risks of carrying multiples in detail, and we never discussed transferring more than 2.

2020, Unsuccessful
I did 3 rounds of IUI and were considering going into IVF next. Dr. Corfman said he likes to see at least 15 follicles in order to move ahead with an embryo transfer...[the protocol] process is very cookie cutter and templated. It all felt very transactional. I felt as though we were not given all of the information we needed...
There was so much information given to us, but I felt so overwhelmed and wished that someone from the [Midwest Center for Reproductive Health] clinic could have spent more time walking us through all the steps. I was given a piece of paper with a list of medications to take...Around $2000 per IUI cycle. We did three...They were caring and compassionate and did their best to make us feel comfortable and supported.
When we initially met with Dr. Corfman he was very optimistic that we would have good chances to conceive. We went ahead with IUI first simply because it was more affordable. 4 months later, we met with Dr. Corman after our third failed IUI attempt, and he completely changed his tune and was very pessimistic about our chances of conceiving with IVF. When I asked him why his thoughts had changed so much in the past 4 months, he said it’s because I have only been producing 2-4 follicles and we would need a lot more (15) for IVF. I've since learned that the treatment for IVF is VERY different and cannot even compare to the IUI treatment. The fact that he even said this makes me question his mental state. I was also a bit confused and upset with Dr. Corman’s response to me when I asked him about what made him change his mind. I was simply looking for clarification and trying to understand as much as possible. He very quickly said “you’re hurting my feelings now; you should go get a second opinion.” He was so dismissive and made it clear he was not interested in helping us anymore. I was honestly shocked
Look elsewhere. Since my experience with Dr. Corfman I have found MANY other women who had bad experiences with him.
Dr. Corfman's process is very cookie cutter and templated. It all felt very transactional. I felt as though we were not given all of the information we needed.
My FSH and AMH levels were tested. No other tests were completed, such as possible tubal blockage. My husband had a semen analysis done. We did three cycles of IUI. An ultrasound was done at the beginning of the cycle and the 10th day of the cycle to check the progress of the follicles. I was prescribed Letrozole 5mg daily to stimulate the ovaries. Around day 10 of taking the Letrazole I would take Ovidrel, the trigger shot. I was then to take Estradiol 2mg 3x daily and Endometrin 100mg 3x daily. All three IUI's failed. There was never an attempt by Dr. Corfman to change up the protocol or try a different method.
Most of the nursing staff were great. I really enjoyed Holley, Nikki, and Sarah. They were caring and compassionate and did their best to make us feel comfortable and supported.
Describe your experience with Midwest Center for Reproductive Health.
This clinic lacks communication. As a new patient during the COVID-19 pandemic most of the appointments with Dr. Corfman were over telehealth or phone call. There was so much information given to us, but I felt so overwhelmed and wished that someone from the clinic could have spent more time walking us through all the steps. I was given a piece of paper with a list of medications to take. Two of these medications allowed me to choose from three different options. I asked multiple time's what the difference between the three are, and why am I given the option to choose between these three. I was never given an answer. The front desk staff were always very kind and friendly.
Around $2000 per IUI cycle. We did three
What specific things went wrong at Midwest Center for Reproductive Health?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Midwest Center for Reproductive Health.
Billing related; they did not take in account a large payment that I had already made
Maple Grove

When I first saw Dr Corfman, I was 221 pounds and he would not initiate any treatment whatsoever for the recommended IUI protocol until I was 200 pounds or less. He also would not do the IUI until i had an HSG done to rule out tubal blockage, which I feel I could have had done right away, but again I had to wait...He was never very available and I was directed to speak more with his nursing staff than with him specifically unless I wanted to pay anywhere from 80-150 for a phone consultation with him. He did not treat us with much kindness
[The nurses at Midwest Center for Reproductive Health] Usually called back to return messages in a timely manner, but would get frustrated if asked too many questions about care plan and would get huffy and ask if I wanted to speak to Dr Corfman again instead - which would then result in being charged more money...had times where the wrong information was provided to me regarding where I could have tests performed - specifically the HSG - and I spent three days chasing people down via phone trying to get them scheduled. It was also a long time waiting to get results back to be informed of next steps.
The only strength I fee Dr Corfman had was his ability to explain the process and the percentage outcomes and what the potential risks were. He was unwilling to bend any of his treatment plans and refused to begin any treatment until I was a certain weight, which ended up costing me more than a year of time and effort in trying to have a child. He also refused to consider IVF via my own eggs due to my AMH level which was .99 at age 38. He said it would only be an option to do IVF if we used donor eggs or donor embryo. We did look into donor embryo, which he sold as a much more affordable and successful option, but told us that we'd have to get on the list - when we entered the list we were number 16, and after almost a year, we are still only number 15 on the list - his inability to communicate the real chance of receiving a donor embryo was very poor. He made us feel as though it was a viable option - we don't have as much as four years to wait for that option. I am overall very disappointed in the care I received and feel robbed of over a year of effort and time in the fertility process. This is precisely why we switched doctors after a failed IUI as something told me we were on the wrong path.
If you aren't young and skinny - find another clinician to conceive your fertility plans.
Dr Corfman was unwilling to discuss anything outside the norms of his protocols. He was never very available and I was directed to speak more with his nursing staff than with him specifically unless I wanted to pay anywhere from 80-150 for a phone consultation with him. He did not treat us with much kindness and I was later told by a second clinician that he prefers his patients young and skinny. This fully explains why he would not work with me using my own eggs inspite of my AMH level being just a tad below the normal range for my age (.99 at age 38) and wouldn't initiate any treatment whatsoever (IUI) until I lost an extreme amount of weight. He would not consider IVF an option for treatment unless we agreed to donor eggs and I lost even more weight (an additional 20 pounds more), all of which cost us time and effort in the fertility process and I later went on to seek a second opinion after our failed IUI cycle and the feeling we were on the wrong path with Dr. Corfman.
Because my AMH was considered lower than normal for my age at .99 at age 38, Dr Corfman refused to consider IVF with my own eggs and would only consent to IVF with donor eggs or embryo. We were further advised we could not do IVF until I was 187 pounds. When I first saw Dr Corfman, I was 221 pounds and he would not initiate any treatment whatsoever for the recommended IUI protocol until I was 200 pounds or less. He also would not do the IUI until i had an HSG done to rule out tubal blockage, which I feel I could have had done right away, but again I had to wait. Wasting more of my time. The HSG was performed at a local clinic and he did not do it - but he also did not fully explore whether my left tube is truly blocked and only said that I had no other signs that it would truly be blocked (the dye did not fully expel through my left tube, only my right) When I did finally reach 199 pounds, we were told we had to wait another 2 months because he wanted me to take two cycles of birth control and take high doses of metformin prior to a cycle. We went through one IUI cycle, which failed, and then he wanted a sonohystogram done, so we could not do a second IUI the following month, costing me even more time. over a year passed from the first time I consulted with him to the first time we tried for IUI and I feel as though we lost so much valuable time. I should have gotten a second opinion much sooner. The IUI cycle we did included letrozole and a trigger shot. After the frustration and lack of communication, we sought a second opinion from a different clinic. I am not happy at all with the care plan outlined by Dr. Corfman in retrospect, especially due to the extended time I was forced to wait to begin treatment and my age. And the fact that he flat out refused to consider IVF with my own eggs.
Describe your experience with Midwest Center for Reproductive Health.
If a patient is not young, of what Dr. Corfman consider's an ideal weight, and does not have normal values for hormone levels, I would advise seeking treatment elsewhere. He is very picky and very specific, which I'm sure is done to help his success rate.
the actual bill for the IUI procedure itself was $440. This did not include medications or the Ultrasounds and bloodwork.
What specific things went wrong at Midwest Center for Reproductive Health?
I also had times where the wrong information was provided to me regarding where I could have tests performed - specifically the HSG - and I spent three days chasing people down via phone trying to get them scheduled. It was also a long time waiting to get results back to be informed of next steps.
Maple Grove

They [nursing staff of Midwest Center for Reproductive Health] were very organized and prompt. Any time I had questions I would get a call back within 30 minutes...One way I think they could improve is by having a way to ask questions or contact online. They have a nurse phone line to leave voicemails and they will return your call, however, that is not always convenient for someone who works during the day...Around $15000 for IVF including ICSI and monitoring.
Dr Corfman is very straightforward and to the point. We felt confident going into our procedures because of his optimistic and friendly approach. Things changed after our failed IVF when we started asking questions about why it didn’t work or what we could change in our next cycle. He was quick to point the finger and eventually told us to get a second opinion and he would not help us unless we used both donor eggs and donor sperm moving forward. At our second opinion appointment, our new doctor offered us additional testing to help us get answers as to why the first cycle didn’t work and also pointed out some flaws in our protocol and how I was poorly responding to the meds early on. Since then I have also found that I was misdiagnosed with PCOS by Dr Corfman and in fact have Endometriosis. I know some patients who have had success with him who fall in the young and healthy category (which he kept repeating to us again and again), but in more complicated cases would recommend seeing another doctor.
Get a second opinion to compare doctors before taking the leap into IVF... be sure to ask questions to make an informed decision
We began with IUI’s and things seemed great, call with the first day of the cycle and treatment will progress from there. If follicles are not progressing as they should they will adjust meds and customize treatment. With IVF it was a little different, they group patients together and only do certain treatments during certain times of the year (no retrievals during the summer months) and have a more “one size fits all” protocol.
My protocol involved gonal f in the morning and menopur in the evening. I was on meds a total of 7 days prior to a lupron/hcg trigger. This produced 15 eggs, 9 mature (which we later found out only 4 were mature at the time of trigger) and 3 fertilized. One fresh day 3 transfer and zero made it to day 5. He recommends day 3 transfers for cases that don’t produce many embryos since the body is a better incubator than the labs.
They were very organized and prompt. Any time I had questions I would get a call back within 30 minutes.
Describe your experience with Midwest Center for Reproductive Health.
This clinic is very timely and efficient. Everyone was friendly from our experience. One way I think they could improve is by having a way to ask questions or contact online. They have a nurse phone line to leave voicemails and they will return your call, however, that is not always convenient for someone who works during the day.
Around $15000 for IVF including ICSI and monitoring.
Maple Grove

The nurse who did our injectable teaching [at Midwest Center for Reproductive Health] did a good job and we were pleased with her...I had requested information be sent to another clinic and they claimed to have done it but didn't - I had to have it mailed out to me...We personally were not pleased and would not be my first recommendation to someone. The location is convenient and easy to access, the wait times didn't ever seem lengthy. This was my first time going to a fertility clinic and wish we would have interviewed around but we were referred to him per our OBGYN who has had good luck and refers all of his patients here.
When I first met him ( he was our 1st fertility specialist) he seemed very knowledgeable and gave us hope that his course of action would work with no concerns. We felt very positive when we left that we'd only need one month of medications and we'd get pregnant. He seemed very thorough in our first meeting. However, after we left that appointment I believe I didn't speak to him again until we requested to come back.
Interview around.
We were very unhappy with our time with Dr Corfman. We felt like we were just another person coming through. He never asked we come back to meet in person - we insisted to come back and sit down in person to go over why he felt things weren't working. When we got there he told me it was probably my weight why we weren't getting pregnant because I was "too thin." He never mentioned my weight when treatments started - just 6 months in when things weren't working. ( I weighed less prior to my first child than at this point, and this has always been my weight, I'm naturally thin but health) He then said our only other option was IVF. We said we'd like to discuss that further. He said - well if you do IVF I only do it in the Fall and not in the summer because of the summer solstice - he claimed IVF doesn't work very well during the summer solstice. He went and got someone to go over the IVF packet with us. When the person came back she said - sorry the IVF coordinator is out, I'm just from the business office. She handed us a file full of information & said we'd need to come back to meet with the coordinator for further details/explanations. It felt VERY "cold" and hurtful.
We were prescribed to do injectables, 2 sets of ultrasounds/month with timed intercourse.
I remember a couple of nurses that were very pleasant and professional, but there was one nurse who did a blood draw that did a terrible job as that wasn't her full time job but just needed to get it done. The nurse who did our injectable teaching did a good job and we were pleased with her.
Describe your experience with Midwest Center for Reproductive Health.
I believe the medications were expensive (which we expected) and insurance doesn't cover most fertility treatments so we expected that. I'm not sure what the costs were.

2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Corfman constantly had to review to our chart when addressing us by name in consults. He constantly brought up the fact that there were people waiting after us. Outside of 2 consults - an initial and one after a miscarriage - we never saw him, heard from him, or spoke to him. I cried during a consult, which was very unlike me, and instead of showing compassion, he seemed exasperated...
Their office hours [at MW Center for Repro Health] are shorter than most, closing at 3:30 and it can be hard to connect with a nurse after 2:00 for same day questions. Strengths would be that the rooms for males is set apart from the clinic activity and offers privacy upon leaving...The ones [nurses] that have been there a while were great and super compassionate. They were hopeful for us and kind...
After my consult, we never heard from Dr. Corfman again outside of him stepping in briefly to conduct an endometrial scratch. Even then, the nurses had everything ready so he was in the room for less than a few minutes without much dialogue. He seems to have a reputation for a quick diagnosis of PCOS and suggested donor eggs instead of listening to the patient. (Other clinics have confirmed this.) He is quick to remind everyone of his "busy schedule" at other clinics. He is not available during the summer and very dismissive of much, if any, support on weekends. I found his attitude to be cocky. My husband did find his graphs and charts helpful as he tried to explain our options, but it was obvious he didn't know our case well given the options he gave.
Look into other clinics in the Twin Cities. If you do see him, bring questions. He won't like to answer them but stay on track and be persistent. Remember YOU are paying HIM for service, not the other way around.
A basic femara protocol with ovulation trigger shot. When cycles produced too many or too little eggs, it was me that suggested to the nurses they talk to him about adjusting my medication (which they did). I don't think without my advocacy for myself, my cycles would have been remotely promising.
It was clear they have turnover and it seemed like many of the nurses were new to the lingo or didn't always understand the questions I was asking. The ones that have been there a while were great and super compassionate. They were hopeful for us and kind.
Describe your experience with Midwest Center for Reproductive Health.
In terms of technology compared to other Twin City clinics, this is outdated and minimal. There aren't many bells and whistles - everything from your blood draws to your ultrasounds to your IUI's to your endometrial scratches are conducted in the same room. Their office hours are shorter than most, closing at 3:30 and it can be hard to connect with a nurse after 2:00 for same day questions. Strengths would be that the rooms for males is set apart from the clinic activity and offers privacy upon leaving.
Relatively average. Charged per ultrasound and vial of blood drawn. He would bill his time very specifically to the minute, and tended to get off tangent (and was hard to redirect).
What specific things went wrong at Midwest Center for Reproductive Health?
The clinic required much follow-up from me to make sure I have everything needed. When medications were given, they gave little to no explanation on how to use it and suggested I talk to a pharmacist. (In my experience with other clinics, the nurses were helpful in giving/teaching the basics.)
Maple Grove

He [Dr. Corfman] is very nice and it seems like he loves his job. He gave us false hope. He told us that we had a 75% chance of getting pregnant and we ended up with zero frozen embryos. I was disappointed with how he felt so confident that he would get us pregnant. He rarely aided in the side of caution when talking with us.... He let us pick one embryo or two embryos but didn’t allow us to do more than two.
Front desk staff [Midwest Ctr for Reproductive Health] are well educated and nurses are some of the best. Nice facility, big waiting room and nice exam rooms. Dr. Corfman gives high hopes on the first consultation... which is awesome but not realistic....The doctor doesn’t call his patients with critical results. The embryologist doesn’t update the patient until day 5 of results....About $5,000 for four IUIs. About $18,000 for a retrieval and transfer.
He is very nice and it seems like he loves his job. He gave us false hope. He told us that we had a 75% chance of getting pregnant and we ended up with zero frozen embryos. I was disappointed with how he felt so confident that he would get us pregnant. He rarely aided in the side of caution when talking with us.
Do their research on all the clinics around the area first.
The nurses remembered me very well and every time I saw Dr.corfman he just asked where I was going to deliver.
I was on 4 different injectables and had ultrasounds every 3 days. They received 33 eggs, 24 were viable eggs, 21 fertilized and 20 were viable embryos. Transferred two embryos on day five/fresh transfer and in day six the rest of the 18 didn’t make it to freeze.
They were extremely nice and approachable.
Describe your experience with Midwest Center for Reproductive Health.
Front desk staff are well educated and nurses are some of the best. Nice facility, big waiting room and nice exam rooms. Dr. Corfman gives high hopes on the first consultation... which is awesome but not realistic.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Midwest Center for Reproductive Health.
It was in the morning hours and they made it work almost every time.
About $5,000 for four IUIs. About $18,000 for a retrieval and transfer.
Maple Grove
He [Dr. Randle Corfman] read our charts and our lab reports but still asked a lot of questions like he didn't know the answers to them. It was our first time going through this and getting diagnosed so a little more information would have been nice...very nice and professional. He knows his stuff and explains it all pretty well so regular people can understand all of it. He does seem kind of rushed though but maybe he was just running behind when we saw him.
Professional and clean building and office space [at Midwest Center for Reproductive Medicine]. Easy to find location. Staff seems to be organized and they stay fairly on time with their appointments. Timely returning of calls and emails. Make sure you contact your insurance and get price quotes ahead of time...They [nurses] all seemed very nice. Some were definitely more knowledgeable than others.
Dr. Randle Corfman was very nice and professional. He knows his stuff and explains it all pretty well so regular people can understand all of it. He does seem kind of rushed though but maybe he was just running behind when we saw him.
Write down all of your questions ahead of time so you have a plan and know what you need to ask. Make sure you take notes on everything he is saying and get direct contact information for him or a nurse so that you can reach out again if needed.
I feel neutral on this. He read our charts and our lab reports but still asked a lot of questions like he didn't know the answers to them. It was our first time going through this and getting diagnosed so a little more information would have been nice.
They all seemed very nice. Some were definitely more knowledgeable than others.
Describe your experience with Midwest Center for Reproductive Health.
Professional and clean building and office space. Easy to find location. Staff seems to be organized and they stay fairly on time with their appointments. Timely returning of calls and emails. Make sure you contact your insurance and get price quotes ahead of time.