Nurse available by email
FellowshipU. of North Carolina
1025 Morehead Medical Drive
Charlotte, NC 28204
704-355-3149
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Rebecca Usadi to a friend?
7.2

3.4

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Carolinas Medical Center to a friend?
9 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
I saw Dr. Usadi four times - twice at consults, once at an ultrasound (an exceptional situation where they did ultrasounds offsite for a day) and once passing in the hall (she clearly had no idea who I was)...Due to my high FSH, Dr. Usadi told me I was not a good candidate for IVF. I took that as a fact. 9 IUIs later (4 with expensive injections!) she clarified that I wasn't a candidate for IVF according to her practice's standards.
9 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
She's smart and I do believe she knows her stuff. But she (or maybe it's her practice) is not innovative, not flexible and not willing to work with patients that don't fit inside the box of their standards. I wish I knew then what I know now about this process - I would have wasted far less valuable time working with a doctor that didn't believe in me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Get alternate opinions! That's good advice regardless, though. Ask a lot of questions. Push and advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Due to my high FSH, Dr. Usadi told me I was not a good candidate for IVF. I took that as a fact. 9 IUIs later (4 with expensive injections!) she clarified that I wasn't a candidate for IVF according to her practice's standards. They wouldn't take me on for IVF with my own eggs because the risk was too great it wouldn't be successful and would lower their statistics. I spoke with 15 other doctors after that for consults, sharing all of my medical records. Nearly all said they would not only take me for IVF but believed it would work. Further, those doctors also said they would have pivoted to IVF after no more than 4 failed IUIs. I endured months and months of treatment that would never work because she wasn't transparent enough and put the practice's statistics before me. I am working with a new doctor now (Dr. Jeanne O'Brien - Shady Grove) and she believes it will work. I've had two retrievals with multiple eggs, including a recent one resulting in two PGS-tested and approved embryos. I also had a total of 3 interactions with Dr. Usadi in the year I was working with that clinic. I have seen and spoken with Dr. O'Brien far more frequently in less time even though I am out of state.
Describe the protocols Rebecca Usadi used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
The first group (4 or 5) of IUIs were medicated by Clomid. The amount varied - too much caused my lining to thin and not enough didn't cause a strong response. She did optimize based on that. After those failed, we moved on to Gonal-F to produce more follicles and a better response. She didn't provide nearly enough information about it in advance, though, and we were shocked by the cost. Dosage of Gonal-F varied as well - often it was high one day, low the next. I've told other doctor's that protocol and it didn't make sense to them but what do I know.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Kathleen Bratschi)
The nursing staff at the Women's Institute was terrific and compassionate. They were also my only contact with the clinic 99% of the time. Kathleen did all of my IUIs and I saw Dr. Usadi four times - twice at consults, once at an ultrasound (an exceptional situation where they did ultrasounds offsite for a day) and once passing in the hall (she clearly had no idea who I was). I will also note that when the clinic was closed due to a fire, they bent over backwards to help ensure I could monitor that day (at a different part of the hospital) and ultimately do an IUI with another local clinic. I appreciated that, even though it didn't work. The nurses and techs keep that place moving, without a doubt.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
What started as a good experience turned sour within a year. The Women's Institute is a great place for you if your case is simple and straight forward. If you have a more challenging situation (as I do with DOR), they will push you to donor eggs or other options without thinking outside the box. They put their numbers first before patients. That's fine - they are running a business - but people should know there are other, better options out there, especially if you're willing to travel out of state. For several months, they were helpful in allowing me to do satellite monitoring at their facility. That was a big help because it was a place I was generally comfortable and familiar with the procedure. The cost was also lower than other clinics in the area ($50 a visit vs. $150 - plus the cost of tests). As of March 1, they are not allowing that anymore. I spoke with the head of the clinic and literally begged - after all, it was their choice not mine that I wasn't a patient of theirs anymore. They wouldn't budge even an inch. In the span of 11 months, I was turned away and disappointed twice by the same clinic. Needless to say, I am disappointed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center.
The costs were fine. My insurance covered a good chunk of the actual procedures.
Charlotte

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center.

Most of my interaction with the clinic for my IVF/ICSI cycle was with various nurse. I only saw Dr. Usadi the day of egg retrieval...Dr. Usadi is a very friendly. She us compassionate for her patients and has a vast knowledge of infertility issues. My husband and I felt as if she was a member of our health team as opposed to a doctor telling us what we needed to do. She let us discuss options as opposed to dictating to us what was going to happen.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Do your research and ask a lot of questions
I'm not very good at this... I know I was on a Lupron protocol other than that I'm not good at remembering the names of protocols (if it was down, short, or long Etc)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Libby)
Libby has been an infertility nurse for 30 years I believe she told me. So I think in a lot of ways she had a lot of knowledge but unfortunately maybe she has lost some of her compassion for the field of infertility nursing.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
CMC women's Institute has great appointment times you can go in early in the morning or in the afternoon. Someone always answers the phone when you call. The parking situation is a little difficult and just getting over to the office from where I live would make for a long drive, almost an hour, but it was definitely worth it.
My insurance covered our first round of IVF at 100% after I paid my deductible. I was very happy however I had to do round 2 because their first round was unsuccessful and for medications alone it was going to cost $3,000. I was never able to get alternative medications or options so I have not completed IVF round 2 because I can't afford to pay that much for medication and I may have to pay for the procedures as well.
Describe Rebecca Usadi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
Dr. Usadi does have a standard for only transferring one embryo unless it's medically necessary to transfer more than one. She informed my husband and I we do not meet the requirements to transfer multiple embryos so we did only transfer one.
Charlotte

She [Dr. Rebecca Usadi] was amazing to recommend my husband and I for a clinical trial looking at male factor infertility. The trial provided three FREE rounds of IUI after a few months of male treatment with antioxidant/placebo study drug...During my HSG, Dr. Usadi said that she would explain the procedure as she went. I told her that I did not want to know, and that I would just like to focus on my breathing. She offered to lead a relaxed breathing exercise while performing the procedure and I obliged.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi has an amazing bedside manner. She performed my HSG and later my IUI, after a failed attempt from the nurse who usually performs the procedure. Dr. Usadi's presence is calming and re-assuring. When in her care, I do not question the procedure at hand or the level of care that I am receiving.
Be willing to speak up about what works for you and what does not. During my HSG, Dr. Usadi said that she would explain the procedure as she went. I told her that I did not want to know, and that I would just like to focus on my breathing. She offered to lead a relaxed breathing exercise while performing the procedure and I obliged. It was so helpful, I walked away wishing she could not only help us make our baby, but one day deliver it! When she performed my IUI, she remembered that the breathing exercises works for me and initiated the relaxation technique. It was very helpful during a such an uncomfortable procedure.
In my first appointment with Dr. Usadi, I felt encourage about our situation. She was warm, but clinical providing all necessary information. She answered all questions that I had for her, none of which she made me feel like were "stupid questions". After the appointment which I attended without my husband, I was emotional and crying on my way out of the clinic. I was stopped by a nurse who offered a warm hug and words of encouragement and shared her own infertility story. I immediately knew I had made the right choice in the clinic. Both Dr. Usadi and her nurses have all been warm and caring throughout all of our appointments and procedures.
She was amazing to recommend my husband and I for a clinical trial looking at male factor infertility. The trial provided three FREE rounds of IUI after a few months of male treatment with antioxidant/placebo study drug. It was such a blessing to be entered into the study. It also reinforced my decision to go to the hospital for treatment, rather than the other local for-profit RE clinic. The hospital and the doctor provide opportunities for entrance into clinical trials, as Dr. Usadi chooses to participate in such studies.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Kathy Ramsey)
Kathy is the study nurse in-charge of the research trial that my husband and I are in. Her communication has been phenomenal, always reaching out to prepare us for the next steps and just checking in. She provided her cell number for 24 hr access is necessary. This has made our experience at this clinic.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
As a study patient, it can be a bit disorganized when going for blood work and scans, because I am not the typical patient that the other nursing and tech staff are used to dealing with. As my protocol is a little different than most other patients going through the same stages, I do have some responsibility to keep track of what my protocol is, if my study nurse isn't readily available. However, she is usually just a few mins or a text away. She always follows up on any clinic issues that I have had, including a billing issue.
I have good insurance for diagnostics. When it comes to treatment, we have been lucky to not have to pay for anything as we were entered into a research study that included 3 FREE rounds of IUI, per Dr. Usadi's recommendation.
We are not there yet in our treatment process.
Charlotte

Dr. Usadi [at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte] had obviously thoroughly read our chart before our first appointment with her. All of the nurses, ultrasound techs, and coordinators were kind and empathetic each time I was there....De. Usadi was always kind and very willing to answer questions. She never seemed like she was in a rush to finish the visit, always willing to answer another question. She presented facts and data supporting everything the clinic does.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
She is soft spoken and reserved, but always willing to answer any question, no matter how silly you make think it is. Don't be afraid to speak up...she will have the answer for you.
Dr. Usadi had obviously thoroughly read our chart before our first appointment with her. All of the nurses, ultrasound techs, and coordinators were kind and empathetic each time I was there.
I was placed on the long lupron protocol. 3 weeks of birth control pills, then lupron alone for about a week, then Gonal-F and finally menopur was added. I went for bloodwork and ultrasounds about every other day while on stimulation meds. I had 8 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized with ICSI and we got 2 embryos. Unfortunately, this is below the expected rate of 60% fertilization, that I still do not know a reason for. One embryo was transferred on day 3 and ended with a BFN. The next cycle I had an endometrial scratch to prepare for FET. I was put on estrace and endometrin. I had 2 monitoring ultrasounds during that time. Our frozen transfer resulted in a BFP (currently 14 weeks along.)
I can't really complain about the nurse, but never felt a connection there. It seemed like everytime I called I had to explain a lot of the same things. I did grow frustrated with some lack of communication regarding some of the paperwork they require. Once I got my BFP, Libby really celebrated and was very warm. The retrieval/transfer nurses really impressed us. They were so kind, warm, and empathetic. Still keep in touch with them even after being released from the clinic!
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
From the front desk, to the ultrasound techs, to the coordinator, to the research nurses, to the ivf nurses, to the lab techs I found everyone to be so kind and caring. I felt like a person, not a medical record number.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Carolinas Medical Center.
Mondays were the busiest, but I would get there as early as I could to get in and out and off to work and never felt like I waited to awful long.
IVF was $12,000. IVF meds were $2000. Endometrial scratch was free as I participated in a study. The FET was $3200.
Charlotte

Dr. Usadi was present and available throughout my treatment and I always felt like she knew who I was and knew our case. When I became overwhelmed right before my IVF retrieval she was warm and comforting. Made me feel normal for getting emotional....IVF w/ICSI was $12,000. Medication for Long Lupron Protocol was $2,200 at CMC pharmacy. FET was $3,200.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi was wonderful to work with. She explained everything in detail and provided research to back up her reasoning for choosing certain procedures or protocols. She was able to answer all of our questions from the very beginning. Dr. Usadi was present and available throughout my treatment and I always felt like she knew who I was and knew our case. When I became overwhelmed right before my IVF retrieval she was warm and comforting. Made me feel normal for getting emotional.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. She provides you with lots of information and all of the reasoning behind why she chooses certain things for you.
While under the care of Dr. Usadi, I really felt like a human. I saw her multiple times throughout my treatment and always felt like things were explained in detail. During procedures she was warm and comforting, especially when I was overwhelmed and cried.
We initially met with Dr. Usadi when we were considering moving to IVF. She explained the protocol she would suggest based on my age and our diagnosis. I was on the Long Lupron Protocol (Lupron, gonal-F, Menopur). It was recommended that we use ICSI due to Male Factor Infertility. Since this was our first IVF experience she recommended a fresh transfer. I responded well to medication and remained on a lower dose throughout stimming. I had 11 eggs retrieved. 9 of them were mature and 8 fertilized with ICSI. We ended up with 5 day 5 embryo's and transferred 1. She recommended transferring 1 as I'm currently 29. This transfer resulted in a BFN and we moved right into a frozen transfer cycle. Dr. Usadi completed an endometrial scratch during my next cycle and explained that research had shown this to aide in implantation. I started on medication that day and then had a frozen transfer of 1 embryo. My beta at 13dp5dt was 816 and I am currently 15 weeks pregnant.
Libby was wonderful to work with. I met with her after every monitoring ultrasound and frequently spoke with her over the phone. She returned calls quickly and always was able to answer my questions. She was compassionate when delivering news of my BFN and was so excited to call with my positive beta.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
CMC clinic was wonderful to work with. I never met with any doctor other than my own. I saw her many times throughout my treatment. Ultrasounds are completed in rooms were you have your own screen and can watch the entire thing. The techs do a wonderful job of explaining what you are seeing. The same nurse met with me after each ultrasound and explained the results and discussed my medication for that day. Only draw back is the smallish waiting room and that the Women's Institute also houses MFM's so there are often pregnant women in the other waiting room for appointments.

2012 - 2015
2012 - 2015
Dr. Usadi treated me like a person. She was caring and spent valuable time with my husband and me explaining things in careful detail and answering my (many) questions. She treated me like an intelligent person and never talked down to me. When I went back for treatments this year (after a successful IUI and pregnancy two years ago), she remembered me and was familiar with my medical history when I arrived. Also, when we went in for our ultrasound when I got a positive pregnancy test two hears ago, she was warm and excited. She also spent quality time with us after the ultrasound.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Sharon)
They were extremely accessible. They promptly returned my calls and called me frequently (even if after hourS) to keep me updated on the course of treatment, test results, etc. This accessibility was unlike any I've ever encountered with any doctor, and frankly, spoiled me! They also were extremely patient and detailed, explaining everything and never acted frustrated with my (many) questions. I never felt like they were rushing me to get off the phone or out of the office (again a rarity in today's medical world). Overall, they were the most positive and caring women and nurses I've ever been around. They made the fertility experience a positive experience for me. I never got down about anything because of them.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Dr. Usadi will only transfer one embryo...has great bedside manner. She is very compassionate and even called me a few days after my first miscarriage to check how I was doing...Although you don’t see Dr. Usadi at every visit, she always remembers you. She makes sure you fully understand everything going on and is happy to answer questions. Dr. Usadi is the only reason we keep going back. The staff is a different story.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi has great bedside manner. She is very compassionate and even called me a few days after my first miscarriage to check how I was doing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenni)
It is impossible to get in touch with the team. And when they finally call you back, they aren’t prepared and you have to explain everything to them.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
They are not diligent in calling with lab results or scheduling appointments. I started birth control for IVF and was told to keep taking this until my insurance authorization went through. I was told this could take up to 15 days. 3 weeks later, I call - and they hadn’t even sent it to my insurance yet. My advice is to go directly through the finance counselors for everything involving insurance because the nursing staff is unreliable.
$800 for IUI ~$18K IVF
Dr. Usadi will only transfer one embryo
Charlotte

In the 10 months I have been a patient, I have only seen Dr. Usadi twice...The couple times we met, I enjoyed our interaction. My biggest complaint is how little I've interacted with her since my initial visits...I have a friend at the same clinic and she seems to be way better informed with the overall process than I am...I was told to inject ovidrel at the wrong time.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
The couple times we met, I enjoyed our interaction. My biggest complaint is how little I've interacted with her since my initial visits. I have a friend at the same clinic and she seems to be way better informed with the overall process than I am.
Go to a couple clinics/doctors before making a decision.
In the 10 months I have been a patient, I have only seen Dr. Usadi twice. The nursing staff has given me inaccurate instructions at time (e.g., told me wrong time to do the injection) and whenever you call, you have to leave a message instead of talking to someone live.
Too many cooks in the kitchen leads to confusion and miscommunication. I've received incorrect instructions, questions/concerns I expressed weren't addressed and no one told me you could only do 3 rounds of chlomid in a row. Had I known this, I would have skipped a couple months, but was encouraged by the nursing team to continue with cycle and see how it played out in terms of timing (when I had told them I'd likely be out of town)
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I like the early morning appointment times so it doesn't interfere with work and they seem to usually be on time.
Charlotte

Dr. Usadi was very informative and kind. She took the time to explain all our options and what to expect. We only met with her during the consultation and haven’t seen her since which is disappointing....After the initial consultation I have had very little one on one time to ask questions or discuss what’s happening....The nurses [Carolinas Medical Center] don’t give you much opportunity to ask questions outside of what they are doing at the moment. They lost an appointment of mine but didn’t tell me about it until I asked why I had been waiting for over an hour.
Ask questions!
I took clomid with a trigger shot prior to IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Kathleen)
Every visit feels like I’m on an assembly line just following the motions they tell me to.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
The wait can be long, especially for lab work. They don’t always give you opportunities to ask questions after the initial consultation so make your own opportunity. They are good about leaving detailed instructions on your voicemail if you miss their call but hard to actually talk with the nurse on the phone.
Charlotte

Dr. Usadi was personable on the initial visit. She spoken candidly with me about my previous experiences with fertility treatments. But I never saw her again on any subsequent visits...Dr. Usadi ordered blood work and prescribed fertility drugs. She then ordered an ultrasound to measure the eggs and prescribed additional meds to release the eggs. She then ordered for an IUI.
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Usadi was personable on the initial visit. She spoken candidly with me about my previous experiences with fertility treatments. But I never saw her again on any subsequent visits. The nurses were all very sweet and willing to listen. They We're willing to listen to my fears and dealt with my tears. They were very reassuring. The nurses handled all of my questions compassionately and always returned my calls in a timely manner.
Find out ahead of time what the entire plan of action is and will be.
Na
See previous reaponse
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
The clinic was very clean and organized.
Na
Charlotte
Dr. Usadi is very knowledgeable and caring as well. She was still willing to let me have an acitive role in my treatment. She is quick to return communication sent to her. Dr. Usadi shows compassion and care in a time when that is of utmost importance.... I have PCOS and do not ovulate. I started with Letrozole as I had tried Clomid in the past with no response. We did and Ovidrel injection and IUI
How was your experience with Rebecca Usadi at Carolinas Medical Center?
Be prepared with questions before your consultation.
Dr. Unsaid is warm and friendly. I feel like she treats patients as individuals and customized a care plan that suits them.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Everyone was wonderful. I have no complaints. The staff is caring and kind. They do their job well. The facility is clean and well organized. Parking is close and plentiful. I was always seen on time and when it was convenient for me
Yes. They check with your insurance and call well before your appointment