Available by cell phone
ResidencyU. of California Irvine
FellowshipUCLA
536 East Arrellaga
Santa Barbara, CA 93103
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Rene Allen to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Santa Barbara Fertility Center to a friend?
I have been extremely pleased with the care I have received so far from Dr. Allen. He is so kind, so attentive and makes sure you are at ease, even on the hardest days. He is honest without being harsh, direct without being rude and has always made me feel like I am important and addresses my concerns. ... He has also never pushed me off on an NP or nurse: he is always at my appointments and always attentive to me and my husband.
How was your experience with Rene Allen at Santa Barbara Fertility Center?
I have been extremely pleased with the care I have received so far from Dr. Allen. He is so kind, so attentive and makes sure you are at ease, even on the hardest days. He is honest without being harsh, direct without being rude and has always made me feel like I am important and addresses my concerns. On the few instances that I’ve needed to text him with questions (once on Christmas Day) he answered me quickly and never made me feel bad for asking. I highly recommend him to anyone who is ready for a good, kind, proactive doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rene Allen at Santa Barbara Fertility Center?
Be prepared for an extensive questionnaire and bring a list of questions you want answered.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rene Allen at Santa Barbara Fertility Center?
I call Dr. Allen “Doctor Wonderful”. He is kind and attentive, he’s good natured but honest, he helps ease nerves without making you feel silly. He answers your text messages on weekends and holidays, he comes in early on a full day to make sure he fits you in and he never rushes you out of the room so he can get to his next appointment. He has also never pushed me off on an NP or nurse: he is always at my appointments and always attentive to me and my husband.
Describe the protocols Rene Allen used in your cycles at Santa Barbara Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I had a horrible experience before going to Dr. Allen, and was diagnosed with PCOS by another doctor and did one round of Letrozole with a trigger shot (Ovidrel). After looking at my tests and running a few of his own, Dr Allen concluded this was a misdiagnosis. This is what I have done with Dr Allen. Cycle 1: natural (timed intercourse and no medication) to see if I was ovulating in my own (I was). Ultrasounds and bloodwork were done as well as hormone and genetic testing. No pregnancy but lots of answers that my body was functioning properly. Cycle 2: 100 mg of Clomid and timed intercourse. No pregnancy. Cycle 3: 100 mg of Clomid, trigger shot (Pregnyl) and IUI. No pregnancy Cycle 4: in this now. 100 mg of Clomid and second IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Santa Barbara Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Carina )
From Araceli (receptionist) to Carina and the rest of the nurses everyone has been incredibly kind, empathetic, personable and treated me like a human. They have always been a joy to work with.
Describe your experience with Santa Barbara Fertility Center.
Strengths: quality of care, bedside manner, organized, efficient, attentive. They are available, invested in your care and very passionate about what they do. Weaknesses: they have so many people who want to get in that it takes some time to get an appointment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rene Allen at Santa Barbara Fertility Center.
IUI: $1,000 Genetic testing cost varies depending on insurance. Fertility medication I paid a copay at the pharmacy.
Describe Rene Allen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Santa Barbara Fertility Center.
I have no experience with this.
Santa Barbara

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Rene Allen at Santa Barbara Fertility Center.

2013 - 2018
1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Surrogacy
Dr. Allen is incredible . He manages to always be accessible and answer ANY question we have . He is always thorough when explaining treatments and following procedures . He has always been attentive with us and has made us feel important . Never has he rushed us . He is very compassionate and is able to be honest without adding more to the already stressful and painful situation we have been experiencing . He always has a solution and is quick to act on anything to get the process moving along . He is also a great surgeon , my recovery was quick and not as painful as I imagined . Overall, Dr. Allen is just an amazing person , you can tell he loves what he does and treats everyone like family.
2013 - 2018
1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Rene Allen at Santa Barbara Fertility Center?
Trust the process , you are in GREAT hands .
Since day one Dr. Allen turned a scary experience into something we can be hopeful about. He always called us by our name and knew exactly what we were there for , never did he really have to look at a chart , he just knew us . He was very good at giving us real life results and possibilities in a way that kept us calm and hopeful for the future . He is an amazing doctor .
The nursing staff has remained the same since I started with Dr. Allen . It is always a warm welcoming when walking into the office . I have communicated with different nurses and all of them are up to date with our status and know exactly how to direct us when needed. I have never had to explain myself twice to anyone as they are all always on the same page and know exactly how to answer any question . They have been there through the good and the bad and showed compassion as well as excitement when needed .
Describe your experience with Santa Barbara Fertility Center.
This clinic is VERY organized , they are always updated with every step of your process and get things done flawlessly . The clinic is located in beautiful Santa Barbara and is very welcoming . It’s a very clean clinic with all the essentials. It has expanded and allows for in house procedures which makes the whole process a little more intimate . You never feel rushed .
12k egg retrieval 3-4K transfer Other Additional costs
Dr. Allen discussed different outcomes and risks when transferring embryos . He was very thurough and was able to share his knowledge and opinion with us prior to our transfer .

2013 - 2016
2013 - 2016
How was your experience with Rene Allen at Santa Barbara Fertility Center?
Dr Allen strives for success, like most people. For that reason, I understand why his practice revolves around statistics. He knows what families need in order to achieve pregnancy. But I think he sometimes fails to understand that every family is different. Even if we struggle to get pregnant, we do not walk in the clinic door ready to donate our bodies to science for the sake of a successful pregnancy (even though it would definitely seem that way). I am glad I was able to have children, but I often wonder had I not used such aggressive methods to achieve pregnancy if I would have ended up with a twin pregnancy. In my specific case, too, we had no obvious explanation for our infertility, so we weren’t aggressively overcoming any one specific physical obstacle except that we weren’t getting pregnant.
Trust that he wants you to achieve pregnancy, and for that he is amazing. Just do your own homework, decide what will work best for you, and don’t be pressured by all the statistics. PS: You sign a waiver stating that you understand the treatments may result in pregnancy with multiple babies. This is VERY true and multiples are a doozy (for lack of a better/different word *wink*).
In the beginning I was not happy with how I was treated because it was a very sensitive time for me as a woman and I felt like I was being treated as a child. Dr Allen would explain things to me that I fully understood (for example, how a menstrual cycle works) and I also felt pressure to start treatments more aggressively than I wanted. In the end, we did two treatments the way I wanted (just Clomid w/o IUI) without success and then had success with what Dr Allen had recommended (Clomid w IUI). We did the latter treatment again several years later with immediate success (twins even). So I suppose he was right to start more aggressively because of statistics but emotionally I just wasn’t there.
In a nutshell (and what I remember) we did 2 cycles w Clomid without success, then 2 cycles w Clomid and IUI (plus trigger shot), the last resulting in a successful, singleton pregnancy. Years later we did just one cycle w Clomid and IUI (plus trigger shot), resulting in a successful, twin pregnancy.
I honestly don’t remember the staff very well. Didn’t make an impression either way, I guess.
Describe your experience with Santa Barbara Fertility Center.
It is well organized, we waited very little, and I felt well respected. It’s conveniently located downtown Santa Barbara, offered off-street parking. It’s clean and doesn’t necessarily feel like a doctor’s office, comfortable.
Consultation $200+ IUI $1000? Trigger shots $50 for 2 (can’t get just one) Clomid $30?

2013 - 2017
Dr. Allen was very polite and knowledgeable. He did a great job explaining what to expect for each treatment/procedure. I felt comfortable asking questions regarding any concerns I had. I felt supported after the loss of my first pregnancy. He was very patient and understanding of the whole process. I returned for another attempt and was able to get pregnant right away and gave birth to my first child.
2013 - 2017
How was your experience with Rene Allen at Santa Barbara Fertility Center?
Showed interest in personal life, had a sense of human, responded positively when asked any questions (both regarding treatment and personal questions).
I seeker out fertility treatment not knowing that I had a condition. Dr. Allen was very patient and we went through my medical history. After a few tests, I was diagnosed with pcos. I was prescribed clomid at the lowest dosage and slowly we moved up.
Very compassionate and personable. Always available for personal questions and supportive advice.
With our previous insurance (before my husband change jobs), fertility costs were covered. However, with our next attempt with our (hopefully soon to be) second child, my husband's new insurance covers 0% of fertility coverage. We've paid around $6,000-$7,000 so far.
What specific things went wrong at Santa Barbara Fertility Center?

2014 - 2019
Dr. Allen is a kind doctor with an excellent bedside manner. He is empathetic and always professional...My husband and I both think very highly of Dr. Allen...never made me feel uncomfortable, even during the most personal exams. I feel like he presents all information from a scientific and fact-based position, and does not try to embellish your chances...waits to give all bad news himself, so you can be waiting until the end of the day to hear a negative test result.
2014 - 2019
How was your experience with Rene Allen at Santa Barbara Fertility Center?
My husband and I both think very highly of Dr. Allen. He has a wonderful bedside manner, and never made me feel uncomfortable, even during the most personal exams. I feel like he presents all information from a scientific and fact-based position, and does not try to embellish your chances.
Dr. Allen waits to give all bad news himself, so you can be waiting until the end of the day to hear a negative test result.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Santa Barbara Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Joanna)
Dr. Allen has a very kind and caring team. We felt that they cared about us personally and it was always nice to see them.
Describe your experience with Santa Barbara Fertility Center.
I think this is an excellent clinic, and a real asset to the Santa Barbara area. Through problems and successes, you can count on Dr. Allen and his team to be warm and caring. As I mentioned, my main issue was not hearing the negative test results until the end of the day.