Medical SchoolU. of Chile
410.512.8300
201 Plumtree Road
Bel Air, MD 21015
410.569.0545
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ricardo Yazigi to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
He [Dr. Yazigi] was very good about explaining the process he understood when we didn’t want to use donor sperm yet and came up woth an alternative. He was very good at making us feel like it was not hopeless. He set us up woth urologist to see my husband and gave us positive anecdotes...He was very good about explaining the whole process and gave us options based on our failed cycle with reasons why..
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was very good about explaining the process he understood when we didn’t want to use donor sperm yet and came up woth an alternative. He was very good at making us feel like it was not hopeless. He set us up woth urologist to see my husband and gave us positive anecdotes
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ricardo Yazigi at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask questions because he has the answers and will spend the time needed with you
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ricardo Yazigi at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Ricardo Yazigi used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Gonal f and menopur, these were upped very quickly as I was not responding, but once upped I was responding fine. Started ganirelix and then did egg retrieval. Because of my progesterone level the doctor recommended a freeze all and do a frozen transfer. He called personally to tell me that only 2 embryos were made. It was later that one more embryo got made but only 1made it to 6 day blastocyst We then got ready for frozen transfer with estrogen and progesterone injections Frozen transfer did not work
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie hernandez)
First assigned Stefanie Hernandez and she was great! She got a new job and for my frozen transfer I was assigned Danielle bird a She was not good and was not organized and seemed annoyed with me
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are busy! Make sure if you’re doing ivf make the first appt available All of the staff was good and everyone was knowledgeable and compassionate. Don’t hesitate to do what they recommend and ask all the questions. Be sure to ask about discounts because they have some for the scripts
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ricardo Yazigi at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered 90% but the prescriptions were what was expensive about $11000 total with insurance but my insurance has a 25k lifetime maximum
Baltimore
2014 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr Yazigi always has a pleasant demeanor and explains the processes in detail. He is never frustrated by all of my questions.... He made the whole process very comfortable, even for my timid and very private husband. He never treated us like we couldn't understand something he needed to explain... Dr Yazigi had me take Clomid. I had already tried Clomid 3 times but now we would monitor and do IUIs. We tried this twice and he told us that the odds of us getting pregnant were only getting lower, so we decided to try IUI once more with Clomid, and then move on. IVF was our next step because my hormone levels indicated a high response to injectibles, and trying for IUIs would likely result in cancelled cycles due to too many follicles. First round of IVF had poor fertilization but still resulted in a single day 5 embryo which was a live birth. Now that we are trying for our second child Dr Yazigi has decided to add ICSI to the regiment.
2014 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi at Shady Grove Fertility?
He made the whole process very comfortable, even for my timid and very private husband. He never treated us like we couldn't understand something he needed to explain. Ultimately we had success and for that I am very grateful
He can be a little hard to understand but you get the hang of it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tina)
Tina was excellent. She always kept me promptly up to date on what I was supposed to be doing, dosages and appointments I needed. She also made sure I had all of the donated medications she could get for me as a cash paying patient. Without her we would not have a son.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Excellent clinic. They have enough resources that anyone can start any type of cycle at any time. There are a lot of faces sometimes but they know exactly what they're doing.
IUIs were a flat rate per cycle ($1600), plus the cost of medications. When it came time for IVF we qualified for a shared risk program, which was 6 fresh cycles and unlimited frozen transfers for $20,000, plus the cost of medications. For our second child we decided to pay for a multi-cycle discount, $18,500 for two fresh and unlimited FETs. Diagnostic testing was covered at 80% by our insurance.
Describe Ricardo Yazigi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I would personally not choose to transfer more than one embryo so my doctor and I were on the same page about eSET
Bel Air
Dr Yazigi is a very blunt person who is not there to hold your hand, but to get you pregnant. He is very kind and caring. .. it was decided that I had unexplained infertility. Dr Yazigi decided that IUI was the best course of treatment...He was also a very busy man....Dr Yazigi was very busy, and I understood that. But most of the ultrasounds and the iui that worked were done by colleagues and not himself.... he isnt going to hold your hand through the process
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Yazigi is a very blunt person who is not there to hold your hand, but to get you pregnant. He is very kind and caring. Who will go out of his way if needed to help a patient in need. He was very warm and understanding. He was also a very busy man. While I was never rushed, he did take a phone call during my initial consult that made me feel like "Wow he really cares for his patients." But also thinking why am I not his number 1 concern as I awkwardly sit in his office.
Dont be afraid of his bluntness. Don't feel hurt that unlike some of his colleagues he isnt going to hold your hand through the process. You have a nurse for that.
After all the tests it was decided that I had unexplained infertility. Dr Yazigi decided that IUI was the best course of treatment. I appreciated that he didnt jump to IVF since we didnt need it. The first cycle the egg didnt mature as fast as he wanted, and on the day of the insemination my husbands sperm count was low. Dr Yazigi said as far as the egg went that I will need injectables if this one doesnt take, and as far as the sperm count I'd need IVF if this round didn't work. It didnt work. So for the next cycle we did IUI again but added injectables after the clomid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Becca)
Becca was AMAZING. Genuinely there for me, and so beyond compassionate. She was so kind and caring. Really supported me and did whatever was needed to get me pregnant.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove was very welcoming. The staff always remembered me and greeted me by name. The office was clean and decorated very tastefully. The location was great and easily accessible. I loved that everything was done in house in one building.
My insurance covered 100% of labs and tests after the $1k deductible. My insurance covered 90% of the iui acter deductible. They however did not cover prescriptions very well.
Towson
[Dr.] Yazigi was very welcoming, open and honest. He gave us the facts and statistics, he laid out our treatment options and literally said "here is your menu, I am your waiter". It felt like he was part of this team with us...He has an accent listen carefully...We did increase the medications because I didn't respond as fast as Yazigi was expecting. I retrieved 17 eggs, 15 were mature, 12 fertilized normally. We transferred one and froze 6. Right now I am 26 weeks pregnant...
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi at Shady Grove Fertility?
He has an accent listen carefully.
I felt like a human because everyone knew my name when I got to the office in the morning. They didn't have to look up my chart before they new what I was there for. The weekend monitoring in the larger office could sometimes be a little more impersonal but usually there was someone there working on the weekend that was from my local clinic so I would always have a familiar face.
I had 3 IUI cycles, two with clomid and one with another medication the name of which escapes me. I also took medication for lining thickening and to maintain the pregnancy after IUI. Then I did 1 IVF cycle. My IVF medications were pretty normal; Gonal-f, Menopur, Ganirelix, and HSG shot. We did increase the medications because I didn't respond as fast as Yazigi was expecting. I retrieved 17 eggs, 15 were mature, 12 fertilized normally. We transferred one and froze 6. Right now I am 26 weeks pregnant.
Tina was my nurse for the majority of my treatments. Unfortunately she left the practice in between my egg retrieval and positive pregnancy test. While she was there is was amazing and I have always wanted to run into her and let her know It Worked! I'm pregnant.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is great. It is a very large network of doctors which in the beginning can seem like a lot but usually you will be at your smaller local office were things aren't overwhelming. The nice thing about being so large is you can have your monitoring at any office with in the practice. If you know one day you have an early work day and another office is closer to your office that's fine schedule your monitoring with them.
Monitoring appointments were really easy and fast for me. I usually wanted the earliest appointment, there was always someone there and I would get in and out fairly quickly.
My insurance covered most of our costs. We generally had $30 co pay but that was it. Insurance also covered most of the medication costs.
2010 - 2011
IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr Yazigi clearly loves his work. At the same time, aside from our initial meeting and a skype meeting when we wanted to have a second child, we never met him. He was the one to make the phone calls when there was bad news, and he was always willing to talk on the phone when I had a question. I'd recommend him, but I'm not sure that another doctor at the practice would be just as good.
2010 - 2011
IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi at Shady Grove Fertility?
Expect to be one of many patients. Expect someone who knows his stuff and loves his work, and someone who wants you to have a baby, but don't expect a lot of hand holding.
Dr. Yazigi was always either available to talk or returned my calls promptly. He spent the time with us that we needed to talk about what was happening. He was kind and sympathetic, especially when there was bad news.
My treatment was pretty straightforward: drugs to build up my uterine lining and drugs to help the embryo implant. We went straight for egg donation IVF, so not a lot of different protocols. Before treatment to get pregnant could begin, I did have a hysteroscopy, where he found polyps. I had them removed and then we moved forward with getting me pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Doris Thomas)
Doris Thomas was my main contact at the clinic. She was always present and accounted for. She answered my questions, was kind and sympathetic. Even though she was probably overseeing many patients, when I spoke with her I often felt like I was her only patient. She is great!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is big. At times it felt like I was on an assembly line. At the same time, the shared risk program is unbeatable. When attempts for a second child (with a new egg donor) were not successful, 100% of our money was refunded. We would have rather had another child, but at least we didn't lose the money from unsuccessful attempts.
About 40,000 including all meds and holistic support therapy (acupuncture, etc.) for the first try. This includes the shared risk fee for 1 donor/3 recipients. We also had our embryos tested for genetic problems before we transferred them.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
2013
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We only retrieved 3 eggs. We did a day 3 transfer of two embryos but were unsuccessful. Dr Yazigi recommended a slightly higher stim protocol which ultimately was converted to an IUI. He then recommended a protocol with lupron. I did not respond at all and was cancelled the cycle. He then recommended donor eggs...a very practical physician. I would describe his bedside manner as neutral. He isn’t unkind but also isn’t particularly warm.
2013
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi at Shady Grove Fertility?
I would recommend Dr. Yazigi for someone with more common infertility diagnoses. For anything that requires more individualization of care, I’d suggest seeing a different doctor. In my opinion, Dr Yazigi was too quick to recommend donor eggs.
Don’t hesitate to get a second opinion.
Dr. Yazigi is a very practical physician. I would describe his bedside manner as neutral. He isn’t unkind but also isn’t particularly warm.
At first my dx was unexplained infertility. He recommend 3 clomid IUIs. When none was successful, he mov d quickly to IVF on their standard “high responder” protocol. We only retrieved 3 eggs. We did a day 3 transfer of two embryos but were unsuccessful. Dr Yazigi recommended a slightly higher stim protocol which ultimately was converted to an IUI. He then recommended a protocol with lupron. I did not respond at all and was cancelled the cycle. He then recommended donor eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
Danielle was fantastic. She is incredibly thorough and kind.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths: Very organized and efficient Weaknesses: Not much individualization of care If you’re in the Baltimore/Towson area, you can’t beat the convenience. The Towson office was close to home and the Harbor East office was close to work.