Medical SchoolUCSF
FellowshipUCSF
2999 Regent Street
Berkeley, CA 94705
510-649-0440
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Richard Chetkowski to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Alta Bates to a friend?
Dr. Chetkowski very clearly explained each procedure before hand, and all potential risks. We decided as a team what was best for our next step, and how to acheive it. We have done three IUI's with him, and each one, made new adjustments according to our changing situation. We trust him, and feel comfortable asking for advice and his opinion on what step we should take next. We had a pleasant and great experience working with Dr.C and his staff.
How was your experience with Richard Chetkowski at Alta Bates?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Chetkowski at Alta Bates?
One piece of advice would be to ask him to talk slowly if you have trouble understanding him, as he has an accent. He is always happy to repeat himself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Chetkowski at Alta Bates?
Dr. C was very understanding to our situation and listened to all our concerns. He always made sure we had a clear understanding of what was going on and what was to come. He was curious about our lives outside of fertility, and was really genuine that he wanted to help us.
Describe the protocols Richard Chetkowski used in your cycles at Alta Bates and their degree of success.
Our treatment strategry was to focus on our initial diagnosis of male factor infertility, and go from there. We started with an unmedicated IUI cycle, which unfortunately ended with a negative pregnancy test. Our second and third cycle, my wife was on Clomid, and took a trigger shot to ensure ovulation. Again, we unfortunately found no success with any of our IUI's, but understood that there was no guarantee and understood the risks. Ultimately, Invitro will be our best bet to try for our circumstances. Dr.Chetkowski was very supportive of letting us try what we felt was right, combined with his medical advisement.
Nothing but great things for the nursing staff! They were caring, compassionate, clear on explaining procedures and instructions, and most of all, friendly.
Describe your experience with Alta Bates.
Strengths would be the Dr.'s and nurses. They have a great staff that make you feel right at home and very comfortable in their clinic. A weakness would be that their equipment is a little outdated, and the office could use a remodel in a few years.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Chetkowski at Alta Bates.
IUI's cost around $300.00, and the sperm washing around $150. Ultrasound check-ups were around $250.00 each.
Berkeley
Dr. Chetkowski was an excellent doctor! He always had time to sit down and explain every procedure and next step we took. I never felt uninformed or uncomfortable around him. He had a great bedside manner and was very quick, but still gentle. He understood my husbands and I situation very well and was concerned with all aspects of our life. He was supportive of our decisions, and listened well to the concerns we had. Although our procedures didn't end in pregnancy, I had a very positive and hopeful experience with him!
How was your experience with Richard Chetkowski at Alta Bates?
Don't be afraid to ask questions! He will listen and explain any concerns that you may have.
I always felt comfortable and very informed on every situation. He answered any questions that I had, and was also interested in my life outside of fertility.
We came to Dr. Chetkowski aware that we had male factor infertility, and were looking into IUI. After getting to know each other, we decided as a team that an IUI would be the right choice for us. For our first IUI, I was prescribed 25 mg of clomaphine, and was to do at home ovulation testing until I received a positive to go in for the procedure. I also had a couple ultrasounds leading up to ovulation to make sure I was on the right track. Unfortunately our first IUI ended in a negative pregnancy test, but we were eager to try again for a second time. Our next IUI, was much like the first, but I was on 50 mg of Clomid and didn't go in for the procedure until a positive at home ovulation test. Unfortunately that one wasn't successful either. Our third IUI, a few months later, I was on 50 mg of Clomid and took a tigger shot before our procedure to ensure ovulation. This third IUI resulted in a negative pregnancy test as well. All three of these procedures we used my husbands sperm and each time his average after washing was about 2-3 million. We were saddened that none of the IUI's were successful for us, but hopeful we still have more options. We are now looking into IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alta Bates. (Assigned nurse: Jen)
The nurses were kind, informative, compassionate, helpful, understanding and friendly!
Describe your experience with Alta Bates.
The clinic is well organized, clean, welcoming and great staff!
We paid out of pocket for our IUI's which was around $300 for the procedure, and $200 for sperm washing. I also paid $100 for the trigger shot and $10 for Clomid.
Berkeley
Dr. Chetkowski is a great doctor; I am glad I did my freezing with him. Positives: He has been doing this for decades so really understands what he is doing and how to course correct to make things work. He is through and makes sure that he does what is best for you and your body, not what would be fastest/ make the most money for the clinic...Make sure that his tone works for you (and your partner if applicable). If you need an emotive doctor, he may not be a good fit for you...
How was your experience with Richard Chetkowski at Alta Bates?
Dr. Chetkowski is a great doctor; I am glad I did my freezing with him. Positives: He has been doing this for decades so really understands what he is doing and how to course correct to make things work. He is through and makes sure that he does what is best for you and your body, not what would be fastest/ make the most money for the clinic. For example, right before I was going to start treatment, I became ill for an unrelated reason and he insisted that we not move ahead with the treatment so that I could get the other issue addressed. Weaknesses: Dr Chetkowski is not an overly emotive person. I am OK with that, as I value my doctors expertise over all other things but if you need a "warm and fuzzy" doctor, he may not be the right person for you. For example, it took a while for my follicles to develop and he called them "sluggish." I remember thinking if were more sensitive, this might have been hurtful but I realized that he was just telling the truth about my follicles!
Dr. Chetkowski respected my intelligence and made sure I understood the details and risks of the procedures I had under him. He took time to answer my questions and I never felt rushed when I was meeting with him.
I had egg freezing with Dr. Chetkowski. I took both pills and injections to get my eggs mature and then had them retrieved at Pacific Fertility Center in SF. I initially was on lower doses of the drugs but after it was clear my follicles were not responding quickly, I was increased to max dosage for about 7 days of my treatment. Dr. Chetkowski and his staff were very throughout about tracking my follicle growth progress.
Dr. Chekowski's nurses are excellent; personable, kind and helpful. They take time to work with you so that you can learn what you need to do and remember you and your unique situation so you dont have to re-explain every time you come in. They are also very communicative and take great care in coordinating with you, pharmacies and insurance companies. I really enjoyed working with them.
I had about $700 of drug payments to make out of pocket; the rest of the drugs and procedures was covered by my insurance