Medical SchoolU. of Texas
FellowshipUSC
11818 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90025
310-828-4008
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Richard Marrs to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend California Fertility Partners to a friend?
He [Dr. Marrs] is very compassionate. He is a man of very few words but he seems to be very good at individualized care. He makes sure to end all his appointment to let you know all will be ok and discuss next steps.... I feel he could provide additional information and follow up as you receive updates through the egg retrievals or at least the last update to be available for questions and explain the potential risks.... He will only transfer 1 PGS tested embryo.
How was your experience with Richard Marrs at California Fertility Partners?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Marrs at California Fertility Partners?
Ask as many questions directly to him during your visits vs. the nurse.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Marrs at California Fertility Partners?
He is very compassionate. He is a man of very few words but he seems to be very good at individualized care. He makes sure to end all his appointment to let you know all will be ok and discuss next steps.
Describe the protocols Richard Marrs used in your cycles at California Fertility Partners and their degree of success.
GonalF Menopur Cetrotide Lupron
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners. (Assigned nurse: Juliana Cloud)
She is direct but does not consult with the doctor when I ask questions that should be directed to the doctor. She often responds with "I think Dr. Marrs would say....". That is why I ask my questions when I see the doctor during my updates. I did have to have a conversation with her at one point where there was no bedside manner.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
The process of appointments and checkups are fine. You end up going to the waiting room twice. Once to wait to see the doctor, and second to see the nurse while the doctor updates your next steps. I wish they took insurance as that is an extra step to claim back to your insurance individually. However I feel like I am getting the best individualized care compared to the other clinics I have been a patient.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at California Fertility Partners.
The monitor appointment consists of blood work, ultrasound with doctor and then seeing the nurse to go over next steps if it involves medication.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Marrs at California Fertility Partners.
$20-25K for egg retrieval process (monitoring, blood work, egg retrieval and medication) - again they do not accept insurance. Medication can be covered by insurance as you go through a 3rd party vendor.
Describe Richard Marrs's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at California Fertility Partners.
He will only transfer 1 PGS tested embryo.
Los Angeles
Dr. Marrs was very candid about our situation and experience. He didn't sugar coat anything, which I TOTALLY appreciated. This wasn't our first experience with a fertility doctor so we wanted to know the good, the bad and the ugly. He was very caring and knowledgeable, but honest and to the point. For me, it was the perfect combination. In our consultation he explained everything fully, in detail, like we were intelligent human beings. He didn't talk down to us, or skip things, thinking we wouldn't understand. And we NEVER felt like there was a stupid question. He answered everything we asked without making us feel like we were bothering or annoying him. We felt like he wanted us to be up to date and know exactly what was going on.
How was your experience with Richard Marrs at California Fertility Partners?
Don't be afraid to ask questions!! Anything you're wondering, anything you've read or heard about. Just ask. He will take the time to explain. And if the explanation isn't clear to you, please ask again. Make sure you are 100% comfortable with everything going on and you know why he's doing what he's doing. For me, information is power and stress reducing.
Dr. Marrs started every visit looking us in the eye, shaking our hand, asking how we were doing...then actually listening to the answer!! He was up to date on anything that had happened between visits (blood work, semen analysis, new records received.) He even joked when my husband was dressed up one day, and apologized when an ultrasound was taking longer than usual!! He always made us feel safe and comfortable and like we were being taken care of.
We were doing an IVF cycle. I had to go on the pill for a week to help clear the corpus luteum from one ovary and suppress the follicles in the other. After a week they were synced so we started Clomid for 5 days, with Follistim and Menopur injectables every other day. After the 5 days, we did the injectables every day and added Ganirelix toward the end. Because of my age, we did lower dose meds and it was amazing! I felt so much better and my follicles stayed synced the whole time. We got a great number of mature eggs - twice as many as my cycles at a different clinic, and we are still waiting the results of genetic testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners. (Assigned nurse: Erin)
Erin was so helpful throughout our process. She explained what the steps were, what was happening next. There were a few times, especially at the beginning when trying to gather old records and see what we needed before we could start a new cycle, where a few things (sort of) fell through the cracks. Nothing major at all. But she was very quick to respond to emails, always answer every single question - big or small. And during the medicine tutorial she was very patient and helpful. We hadn't done medicine in a year and I was a bit nervous about the whole thing and she totally put my mind at ease. While she was out of town, we saw several of the nurses and they were all very kind and helpful. Anita especially made the experience AMAZING! She was the after hours on-call nurse who talked us off the ledge during one crazy night of injectables and helped us get through it all.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
Everything was fantastic. The atmosphere is warm, calm and welcoming. The front desk staff were friendly, knowledgable and helpful. The billing staff...amazing!! What could be a scary experience (seeing the $$ put out on paper), was clear and concise. And the phlebotomists were the best I've ever had.
I've been to one other clinic, and these costs were pretty much in line with what we paid there - actually a little less overall.
We aren't to that phase yet, but if I remember correctly, our nurse during our initial meeting mentioned that they usually prefer to transfer a single embryo. But it is dependent on many factors that we would discuss at a later date.
4 IUI, 6 IVF, 6 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
He [Dr. Richard Marrs] did not blame my age or egg quality but rather told me about research they are doing about timing of transfer. So we tried the mock transfer twice and took biopsies and found out my body was very sensitive to progesterone and I needed minimal amounts of the drug, not more as other doctors had led me to believe . I am now pregnant thanks to Dr Marrs’ persistence. He is so smart, precise, compassionate and cautious.
4 IUI, 6 IVF, 6 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Richard Marrs at California Fertility Partners?
I had two failed transfers so I decided to go Dr Marrs for a third opinion. His office requested I have all of my paperwork sent before our consultation,so he could have an opinion on our situation. This was the first time a doctor had made the effort to do so, which in itself was encouraging. When we met with him he had actually read all my records and went over what he believed was the issue. It’s was so refreshing. He did not blame my age or egg quality but rather told me about research they are doing about timing of transfer. So we tried the mock transfer twice and took biopsies and found out my body was very sensitive to progesterone and I needed minimal amounts of the drug, not more as other doctors had led me to believe . I am now pregnant thanks to Dr Marrs’ persistence. He is so smart, precise, compassionate and cautious. All qualities every fertility doctor should posses. He is not a cookie cutter doctor. He takes his time to evaluate his patients and find a bespoke solution that works for them. He doesn’t view his practice as a baby factory, but rather as an artisan workshop. I cant say enough wonderful things about him. We owe Dr Marrs everything. If you are struggling to conceive look no further than Dr Marrs. He is absolutely the very best.
He should be the very first doctor you meet once you know you are going to need help conceiving. It’s the biggest regret that I have. There is no other doctor that will care more about helping you. He is brilliant and compassionate. A very rare combo in this field.
Dr Marrs does all of his own ultrasounds. He has the most kind and gentle bedside.manner. He always clams me down and answers all of y questions
For my transfer we started with BC, then started Lupron injections. Then we used estrogen patches and progesterone inserts before my transfer. The progesterone inserts were from MDRpharmacy. It’s a version that they compound themselves. We started with 50mg and increased to 200mg 4 times a day. After my positive pregnancy we add progesterone injections as well. It’s also compounded at MDR. It’s a sesame oil base so not as thick as the once you get at regular pharmacy. I also took medrol 5 days before transfer and prednisone 10mg after transfer till week 10.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners. (Assigned nurse: Juliana )
She was awesome. Always emailing me back and answering all my questions. Anita was the other nurse that help me when Juliana was off. She was just as amazing. They were both so compassionate and responsive. I cant say enough wonderful things about them. I couldn’t have done it without them. And honestly everyone at the office from front desk to phlebotomist ( ask for Ken if you have bad veins. He is the best) are wonderful.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
They are amazing. Even have counselor on site to help you deal with the emotional aspect of the process. When I got there I was an emotional mess and had lost hope that I could get pregnant. She was very kind and helpful.
$10-15k
I would do single because if they have not figured out right medication for you then you loss two embryos versus one.
Los Angeles
Dr Marrs is very business like and cuts to the chase without any fluff. If that’s what you like then he is perfect for you. There’s very little hand holding when it comes to him.... We did 4 IUI’s with no success. The 3rd and 4th were with clomid. The 4th he increased my clomid dose and this caused a cyst. I was never told about this potential risk and because this cyst developed I wasn’t able to move onto IVF for 3 more cycles. This was a huge blow to me and wish I would have known the risk ahead of time.
How was your experience with Richard Marrs at California Fertility Partners?
Dr Marrs is very business like and cuts to the chase without any fluff. If that’s what you like then he is perfect for you. There’s very little hand holding when it comes to him. He can come across as a little cold but when it comes down to getting the job done he definitely delivers.
Make sure you ask all the questions you have when you are there and always ask for potential risks or side effects of anything you are doing.
Dr Marrs bedside manner is very business like and not very warm. The nurses however are very friendly and great.
We did 4 IUI’s with no success. The 3rd and 4th were with clomid. The 4th he increased my clomid dose and this caused a cyst. I was never told about this potential risk and because this cyst developed I wasn’t able to move onto IVF for 3 more cycles. This was a huge blow to me and wish I would have known the risk ahead of time. We then moved into IVF. I don’t recall all of the meds we did but it was normal protocol. After the transfer I did progesterone suppositories and got a positive pregnancy result. My daughter was born in March 2017.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners. (Assigned nurse: Erin )
My nurse Erin had just started so I was a little nervous to have someone brand new handle my care but she was very careful to go over everything with me and write everything down. She seemed a little nervous which made me a little nervous but I’m sure she has gotten better over time.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
Everyone was pretty great in the office. The lab, the billing dept, the front desk. I could usually always get the appointment that I wanted. The only thing that bothered me was if they gave you a window of time for when they would call with test results they would always call at the latter end of the time frame.
I don’t recall exact numbers but our IVF was roughly $18,000. The IUI were around $3000 each
Dr Marrs suggested transferring only one embryo for my first transfer. I agreed since we didn’t want multiples and he was right. It worked on the first transfer.
What specific things went wrong at California Fertility Partners?
Los Angeles
At every appointment, he [Dr. Marrs] knew our story, and he was just really, really compassionate and caring every step of the way. When we sat down with him at the end of our cycle for our WTF appointment, we could tell he really put a lot of thought into our situation, his prognosis and his advice...He's super professional, but you can tell he really cares. He pays attention and reviews your file before every visit. He's a very reassuring presence in what is a hard and stressful time...
How was your experience with Richard Marrs at California Fertility Partners?
He is one of the most caring and compassionate doctors I've seen - fertility or otherwise. He's super professional, but you can tell he really cares. He pays attention and reviews your file before every visit. He's a very reassuring presence in what is a hard and stressful time.
Trust that you are in good hands.
At every appointment, he knew our story, and he was just really, really compassionate and caring every step of the way. When we sat down with him at the end of our cycle for our WTF appointment, we could tell he really put a lot of thought into our situation, his prognosis and his advice.
My protocol was dictated by factors outside of his control, so my experience would not be typical of any other patients'.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners. (Assigned nurse: Sima)
Sima is the best nurse/coordinator ever. She was so responsive to emails, she sat down with us at every single visit, her record keeping was detailed and she knew every detail of our history and plan the entire time we were patients. She is the exact perfect mix of complete professionalism and friendly compassion. We are at a different clinic now and every single time we interact with nurses there (who are not excellent at all), we grumble to each other about how we miss Sima.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
In three or four months of appointments, they were never once late. In fact, if WE were late by only a few minutes we would get a call asking if we were coming. We appreciated their timeliness SO MUCH. Everyone we interacted with here was just so good at their job and so, so professional - from the ladies behind the reception desk, to the blood ninjas, to the billing staff, to the nurses and doctors. Can't possibly say enough good things about our entire experience here. (And we didn't even get pregnant, so that's saying something.)
Los Angeles
It's his [Dr Marrs] job to get you pregnant and he exudes calmness, confidence and experience. He's truly the best. He's always on time and saw me every visit that I was doing something other than simply getting blood. He was always prepared. In our first consultation with him, he had gone through the hundreds of pages of my medical records and was prepared with notes to discuss all potential issues he saw.
How was your experience with Richard Marrs at California Fertility Partners?
Richard Marrs is an amazing doctor. He is kind and empathic, but also very straightforward. He's very clear about what he sees about what he thinks the best course of action is. He is personable but not emotional, and he is very kind when you are emotional! It's his job to get you pregnant and he exudes calmness, confidence and experience. He's truly the best. He's always on time and saw me every visit that I was doing something other than simply getting blood. He was always prepared. In our first consultation with him, he had gone through the hundreds of pages of my medical records and was prepared with notes to discuss all potential issues he saw.
Come with any questions you have.
The environment is personal and when you walk in the receptionists, the nurses, the doctors, all know you are coming and treat you so kindly. I could call any time with questions and a nurse would always answer or call me back within 10 minutes. I never EVER waited in the waiting room. I was always seen on time.
One round of IUI without any drugs, because all my tests were good and fertility issues seemed to be around timing. Two rounds of IUI with Clomid and Estradiol + HCG shots 36 hours before insemination. Basically, to give it a boost and super charge the experience. Second round of IUI with Clomid and Estradiol led to pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners. (Assigned nurse: Ashley )
I could call or email Ashley or any other nurse on staff with any questions: I am spotting, is that ok? When does dosage end of Estradiol? I feel nervous! She was patient, kind, straightforward, and responded immediately.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
This is the nicest medical facility I have ever been in. The lobby is just lovely. You never wait. It's easy to schedule all follow-up appointments and everything is very coordinated and is very organized.
Approximately $1800 per cycle of IUI. Very straightforward billing - $235/ultrasound. $120 for bloodtests. Etc. You pay each time you leave. They don't take insurance but they provide you will all the appropriate documentation.
Los Angeles
Dr. Marrs is a great doctor. He is very smart and know a lot about infertility. He has done many studies and seen many difficult cases. I trust him with my care and I hope we get lucky. He is very caring and answers all of my questions. He knows a lot about which supplements to add to my protocol and which ones to not waste money on....IUIs were done 42 hours after the trigger shot. First IVF cycles used injectables and Menupur.
How was your experience with Richard Marrs at California Fertility Partners?
Write all your questions down before your appointment. Ask him everything you want to know.
He's a great doctor. Very caring and answers all my questions.
Erin is very nice and accommodating. She's very fast with getting back to you and calling in prescriptions.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
Great clinic. They are always on time for every appointment. Hardly any waiting. The receptionists are very nice and always willing to help. The clinic has it's own lab and surgical center in the same building which makes it very easy. I just really wish the procedures were covered by insurance
Expensive, but in line with other Fertility clinics in the area
They will not implant more than 2 embryos
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
I could not have been happier with Dr. Marrs. He was thorough; he explained my treatment in a very accessible way. He calmed my fears and assured me along the way. He was kind and caring before, during and after surgical procedures....Martha Alford [his nurse] was very responsive. No question was considered a dumb question. She was available to me and made sure I understood the treatments. She was patient, kind and compassionate. She was very knowledgeable and reassuring about the process.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Richard Marrs at California Fertility Partners?
Stay the course, don't lose faith, and follow Dr. Marrs' direction.
Dr. Marrs is professional, personable, warm and friendly. He knows how to connect with his patients in a genuine, sincere way. He was knowledgeable and inspired great confidence. He was kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners. (Assigned nurse: Martha Alford)
Martha Alford was very responsive. No question was considered a dumb question. She was available to me and made sure I understood the treatments. She was patient, kind and compassionate. She was very knowledgeable and reassuring about the process.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
CFP is very organized. Every one of the staff I encountered--from lab work, to nursing, to surgical support staff, to admin and billing--was friendly, kind, supportive, helpful and professional. I never had a negative experience with anyone. Most even seemed to recognize me. Service was seamless.
Labs, ultrasounds, procedures and prescriptions.
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr Marrs is both incredibly calming and smart. It's always helpful when he reminds you he invented a procedure he is trying. When it was time to move from IUI to IVF, he told us. He was honest and helpful....Make sure you see him. Ask him for his email.
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Richard Marrs at California Fertility Partners?
Make sure you see him. Ask him for his email.
I mostly felt like a human. The places where I didn't were around scheduling and unique circumstances. They really didn't care how far you live or if you have to drive two hours to get there and and an hour to work after and President Obama is in town blocking traffic. They will not do anything to accommodate time requests if it isn't easy for them.
We did our first IUI with Clomid, trigger, progesterone and estrogen. He monitored progress very closely. The second IUI he cut back on Clomid because I respond very well. Our first IVF we did gonadatropins - pretty standard. We also opted to do PGS so we knew we were transfering good blastocysts.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners. (Assigned nurse: Anita)
Anita is wonderful. She is clear, takes her time and responds to questions quickly.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
It's beautiful and spa like. It's very calming.
The costs are clear. You can ask the billing department for the list of costs. The only time it isn't clear is when they don't include everything involved in your treatment when you ask a cost.
What specific things went wrong at California Fertility Partners?
2009 - 2014
Dr. Marrs is amazing at what he does! He is honest about your options and expected outcome, he knows that every patient is spending their hard earned money for his services and treats them with respect and compassion.... We always felt welcome to ask as many questions as we needed to, never felt rushed, had conversations about our life and not just the infertility struggles we faced and got to know the staff so we felt comfortable throughout the whole process
2009 - 2014
How was your experience with Richard Marrs at California Fertility Partners?
Go with a million questions, do your research beforehand, know exactly what you expect from a cycle and express it and go into the process with a positive attitude!
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners.
They were always available if I had questions, always willing to walk me through step by step so I knew exactly what was happening and when and very encouraging.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
Very professional, clean office. Wide range of treatment options, connection with local pharmacy for all meds (one less thing to worry about!) Front office can be a little intimidating but they handle a lot and know what they’re doing. Billing department is friendly and helpful.