Medical SchoolUCLA
FellowshipUSC
1127 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90017
213.975.9990
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Richard Paulson to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend USC to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Dr. Paulson tailored my treatment to ME.... I have his personal cell phone number and will text back and forth while we are doing treatment (and even when we aren't if we have a question). There is never a time I can't reach him and that's a good feeling. We did two natural cycle rounds... It was a big area of research for him and it was no drugs in my body which was great. When that didn't work we said we wanted to go back to what did work - our very first round that yielded our son
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
How was your experience with Richard Paulson at USC?
My experience as a patient has been wonderful. I came from another clinic that was just terrible. They focused on the money and you were just a number it was a once size fits all approach and there was no thought given to individual patients. Dr. Paulson tailored my treatment to ME. I wasn't even approached for payment until well after the cycle had ended and he was just a real human being. When my pregnancy wasn't looking good he told me he was concerned and why but also to remain hopeful because he also had patients that had similar markers make it out with a happy, healthy baby (didn't happen in my case but he was honest and kind). He is approachable and handled all of my 1,000,000 questions with ease. He is truly one of a kind and I have referred others to him. My only regret is that I ever went to the other clinic and wasted time, money and my emotions on it all. I wish I had found Dr. Paulson sooner. He is worth the commute up to LA from SD county. He is real, honest and approachable and truly cares for his patients.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Paulson at USC?
Ask about natural cycle or mini stim! There is no reason to be pumped more full of drugs that your body may not need to do the job so to speak and he is an expert in that type of treatment!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Paulson at USC?
Dr. Paulson - of three IVF doctors that I've seen - is the most real and candid. He's got a great bedside manner but also doesn't sugar coat things to make you feel better. I have his personal cell phone number and will text back and forth while we are doing treatment (and even when we aren't if we have a question). There is never a time I can't reach him and that's a good feeling. We did two natural cycle rounds (totally recommend this if you have time and money). It was a big area of research for him and it was no drugs in my body which was great. When that didn't work we said we wanted to go back to what did work - our very first round that yielded our son - and do mini stim. He basically let us guide treatment (which after 8 total IVF rounds I felt pretty good about doing). We ended up transferring two good quality embryos on day 4 and I got pregnant. I miscarried a baby girl at 10 weeks. We still have one more embryo in the freezer and will be returning to Dr. P for a frozen round.
Describe the protocols Richard Paulson used in your cycles at USC and their degree of success.
Natural Cycle - didn't use any drugs just monitored my own body and ovulation! Actually created embryos like this!!! I had a negative pregnancy test but it could work! Mini stim - menopur (75 iu) and gonal-f (75 iu). Then triggered after 6 nights of stim (I tend to respond a little quickly). Got 4 eggs - 3 were mature and fertilized beautifully. Transferred two - got pregnant and miscarried at 10 weeks. One is still frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at USC. (Assigned nurse: Mariam Oglalchian)
The nurses were amazing and so compassionate. I can't say enough. They were just wonderful!!
Describe your experience with USC.
Honestly it was a really good experience. I had a couple of appointments that they got me in sort of last minute (because things were looking a little off in my pregnancy) and the wait time to see a doctor was waaay too long but again, I was scheduled sort of last minute. The only other time I had a long wait time was for my initial consult.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at USC.
Well run - basically had a very small wait time if any and was in and out pretty quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Paulson at USC.
I believe each round was 10k. Medications of course are extra.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
So far, I am very pleased with Dr. Paulson. He made me feel confident and safe from the moment and I met him and I find him to be very knowledgeable and has a good personality....we are removing the Fibroid and I had a Hydrosonogram to identify it in addition to an HSG Xray. Once removed, I will be going through with IUI cycles.... he has helped me put my mind at ease and helped me explore my options and figure out a plan of attack.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Richard Paulson at USC?
So far, I am very pleased with Dr. Paulson. He made me feel confident and safe from the moment and I met him and I find him to be very knowledgeable and has a good personality. We are in the early stages of my fertility treatment and I am very hopeful that he is going to help me reach my goals. I have found myself getting very emotional while at the doctor's office and even feeling like a "failure" in that I cannot get pregnant naturally, however, he has helped me put my mind at ease and helped me explore my options and figure out a plan of attack. My biggest regret is that I did not start on this journey earlier. My husband has also been coming with me on appointments and it is great to have him there and see that he also has faith in the doctor and what they can do for us. I currently need to have a large fibroid removed, which my OB-GYN had identified but not made as big of a deal out of as Dr. Paulson has. I have had a much greater opportunity to discuss my treatment in detail with Dr. Paulson, where normally when you are at the doctor's office you feel as though the doctor's time is limited and you cannot have a thorough conversation. I sit with Dr. Paulson in his office and do not feel rushed in the least.
You are going to really enjoy working with him. Stay confident and patient and take things one step at a time.
Dr Paulsen is extremely thorough and caring.
So far, we are removing the Fibroid and I had a Hydrosonogram to identify it in addition to an HSG Xray. Once removed, I will be going through with IUI cycles.
They are super sweet and accommodating and put me at ease.
Describe your experience with USC.
The clinic is very state of the art and updated. Parking can be difficult, but they do have a parking structure and I have been able to find street parking every time I have gone. So far, no complaints. I do also like that they have open office hours in the morning, although, I have found that it is best to get there 30 minutes early, because it is first come- first serve, so it gets you an earlier spot in the wait.
$350 initial consultation, $350 for Hydrosonogram $1500 for IUI
Describe Richard Paulson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at USC.
no comments
2009 - 2017
He [Dr. Richard Paulson] is really compassionate and has a great bedside manner. He reviews your chart thoroughly at each visit. The only problem is that you do not see him every visit. You often see a fellowship student...The costs are reasonable [at USC] but the billing staff is horrific. If you ask for a receipt to submit to your insurance company, you may wait over a month to get it. The billing staff always answers calls when they are collecting your payments but send you to voicemail when you need copies of bills or receipts.
2009 - 2017
How was your experience with Richard Paulson at USC?
He is really compassionate and has a great bedside manner. He reviews your chart thoroughly at each visit. The only problem is that you do not see him every visit. You often see a fellowship student.
Go there if you need basic iui or Ivf. Do not go there if you are interested in pgd/pgs or if you need surgery. The office does not do pgd/pgs routinely so there is some doubt regarding their skills doing the biopsy procedure.
The office is pretty good about knowing all patients' names.
I was put on high dose stims due to DOR. I am not sure if these doses were a little too high or not.
The nursing staff dropped the ball when calling to update on my embryos. No one called and I called on day 7 only to be told all embryos were dead.
Describe your experience with USC.
They really try to make you feel better if something terrible like a miscarriage happens. They are very positive about trying again when you have a negative result. They are super optimistic. The wait times are often a little long during the morning monitoring hours. This is to be expected at any busy health care facility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Paulson at USC.
The costs are reasonable but the billing staff is horrific. If you ask for a receipt to submit to your insurance company, you may wait over a month to get it. The billing staff always answers calls when they are collecting your payments but send you to voicemail when you need copies of bills or receipts.
The doctor likes to transfer all available day 3 embryos on the over 40 crowd. It may be a good approach because it gets every embryo a chance at implantation. However, you need to be prepared for potential abnormalities that may cause miscarriage. Worse yet, you may have to make a heart wrenching termination decision.
What specific things went wrong at USC?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
I did two rounds of IVF. Neither time did any embryos make it to freezing. The first time didn't work, but I felt Dr Paulson really looked at different options for me and the next time it was successful! Dr Paulson is blunt, but very nice.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
How was your experience with Richard Paulson at USC?
I got the feeling this isn't a clinic where they will hold your hand or be OK if you call twenty times a day.......I never really needed that so the experience was great for me, but just keep that in mind.
Dr Paulson is blunt, but very nice. He's also rated one of the top fertility docs in the nation, so I didn't mind that he was blunt.
The nurses here can draw blood so quick you don't even feel it! Which is huge when your getting a blood draw three times a week.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at USC.
Monitoring hours are in the morning. Since I had to go to work they were great about letting me come in a little early.
What specific things went wrong at USC?