Medical SchoolBaylor
FellowshipValley Hosp
2500 Hospital Dr
Mountain View, CA 94040
650-325-6682
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Richard Schmidt to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Nova IVF to a friend?
5 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Dr. Schmidt was wonderful. He did his best to make our experience successful. Although he was not able to provide us our dream results- having babies with my eggs and my husband's sperm. We both feel he did his best. We're currently on our 6th IVF cycle (1st donor cycle). We're hoping and praying this will bring us our miracle baby...AMH- 0.4 FSH- 16, 23.5, 25, 4 Used Menopur, Lupron, Ganirelix, Clomid
5 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
Be patient. Ask questions. Don't worry about sounding too demanding. It's your body, your life, your happiness!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
Dr. Schmidt is has great bedside manners. He's caring, sensitive, and sympathetic. He works hard with the hopes of making your dream come true. His team is wonderful as well.
Describe the protocols Richard Schmidt used in your cycles at Nova IVF and their degree of success.
AMH- 0.4 FSH- 16, 23.5, 25, 4 Used Menopur, Lupron, Ganirelix, Clomid
Describe your experience with your nurse at Nova IVF. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
My nurse was very prompt, detailed oriented, compassionate, prompt, and knowledgeable. She was helpful with answering questions. However, I would have loved to see more of Dr. Schmidt and have my questions answered by him.
Describe your experience with Nova IVF.
This clinic has great reviews. I would recommend Dr. Schmidt. However, I didn't get to see him often. I went through 6 cycles with him and some of the cycles, I didn't see him until the retrieval. There are things that I wish could have been done better. But, I'm also aware that doctors are not miracle workers. From speaking with friends and acquaintances who have gone to different IVF clinics, Dr. Schmidt definitely ranks up there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF.
We purchased the 3-cycle plan, which costs approximately $20,000 that is excluding medication. For each cycle, the medication ranged from $3,000-$6,000. We went through 6 cycles total (including one donor cycle) so we've spent a pretty penny on our IVF procedures.
Describe Richard Schmidt's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Nova IVF.
We had 3 frozen embryos, which were grade A- and C+. We decided to transfer all 3 embryos with the hopes that one would implant. Our doctor says it was a 50% chance that one will implant if we transferred 3 embryos. That helped make our decision to transfer all 3 embryos.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
We saw him [Dr. Schmidt] for all major points (retrieval and transfers) which we appreciated. He personally called to give us embryo updates as well. All around he exudes confidence and compassion...Sometimes his verbiage would go over our heads so we didn't always clearly understand the information.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
He is warm and engaging. My husband and I always felt like he had all the time in the world to answer our questions. We never felt rushed. Sometimes his verbiage would go over our heads so we didn't always clearly understand the information. We saw him for all major points (retrieval and transfers) which we appreciated. He personally called to give us embryo updates as well. All around he exudes confidence and compassion.
Ask questions even if you think they are dumb.
They take time to know your name and remember details about your life. These things mattered a lot to me. They are kind, compassionate, and sincere.
For IVF we did a luteal stimulation protocol which was less medications than traditional IVF. I found it to be pretty easy on my body. This is what NOVA explained about it: Luteal stimulation has several benefits. After ovulation occurs progesterone levels rise in your body. It is these natural progesterone levels that will keep you from ovulating during the cycle as we want to time your ovulation with the egg retrieval. This increases the response of ovaries as we do not have to add any negative feedback (or medications) to suppress the ovaries to prevent ovulation. An added benefit of this protocol is that your estrogen levels remain lower than in traditional IVF so it minimizes the discomfort and risk for ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). This protocol makes it a freeze all protocol. We froze 10 embryos and are preparing for the transfer this coming month.
They are warm and personable. They really care about you as a person. They are also very patient and do not make you feel bad for asking lots of questions or calling at weird hours. I did have to remind them a few times to email me things or respond to emails.
Describe your experience with Nova IVF.
Again very warm and inviting just like the staff. They take your picture on the first day so they put a face to the name. There is always nice music playing and I've never waited more than 20 minutes for an appointment. The waiting room is never really busy which I like and it is a peaceful and tranquil environment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF.
We did a package which allowed for 2 retrievals, unlimited FETs, one year of embryo storage. It was 20,000. No hidden costs.
Mountain View
I felt cared-for and informed. Dr. Schmidt is honest about outcomes and progressive in his treatments. He was reasonably reachable for questions and explained treatments/guidelines/the science thoroughly...My initial hormone levels were very good for my age (41). He started me on birth control pills to regulate my cycle, then Letrozole to stimulate ovulation, and a trigger shot.... Dr. Schmidt was would respond personally, if requested, in a timely manner
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
Get on his waiting list as early as possible! Attend a seminar, I don't know if he still does this, but I was able to get an initial appointment right away because I had attended one of his informational seminars.
First appointment was a personal meeting with him (as well as a meeting with a financial specialist to discuss potential costs). I was invited to call or email with any questions and was responded to in a timely manner. Dr. Schmidt was would respond personally, if requested, in a timely manner. Friendly, engaging staff.
My initial hormone levels were very good for my age (41). He started me on birth control pills to regulate my cycle, then Letrozole to stimulate ovulation, and a trigger shot. I got pregnant on my first IUI, but miscarried. He then suggested I move to injectables to make the most of limited time. I was hesitant, but agreed. Second IUI failed to create a pregnancy. Third IUI with injectables resulted in a live birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Nova IVF. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Zak)
Danielle, my primary nurse, was great. Very responsive on email. Very upbeat and empathetic. The entire staff was always very friendly and positive (maybe a little weirdly so!:)). I always felt welcome there.
Describe your experience with Nova IVF.
Great clinic, top-of-the-line equipment, comfortable facilities, friendly and communicative staff, easy scheduling once I had my initial consultation. I've said everything else in the previous sections!
I don't remember.
2013
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
He [Dr, Richard Schmidt] is very nice. I met mostly with Nurses, but never felt like I couldn't speak with him directly (which I did on one occasion). He handled by egg retrieval and embryo transfers personally. In both cases he explained clearly what was to happen without ever sounding patronizing.... There is no single nurse assigned to you, but everyone knows your name and your story. They are all compassionate and kind.
2013
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
He is very nice. I met mostly with Nurses, but never felt like I couldn't speak with him directly (which I did on one occasion). He handled by egg retrieval and embryo transfers personally. In both cases he explained clearly what was to happen without ever sounding patronizing. When he checked for baby's first heartbeat and found it, I got overwhelmed with happy emotions. He was sweet and left me to weep happily in the room on my own for a bit, no rush.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. He will never make you feel bad for asking, and always makes himself or the right nurse available to answer them.
The entire office was warm, welcoming. They knew me by name and sight, in person or over the phone. The finance department gave me helped me spread out payments on an ad-hoc schedule. The nurses coached me through hard moments, and gave me time alone in the room to happy-sob after seeing the first heartbeat. I was never rushed or pressured. They occasionally still ask about my daughter and I have sent them photos which they put up on the wall.
There is no single nurse assigned to you, but everyone knows your name and your story. They are all compassionate and kind. When I became pregnant, there were hugs all around.
Describe your experience with Nova IVF.
I was worried because they are expensive, but the finance department worked with me every step of the way. They submitted initial blood work to my insurance to minimize out of pocket for me. They also set up a payment plan and *clearly* outlined costs of my different options. I have had absolutely no surprises. They even worked with me to jigger timing of my first payment so that I could afford it AND not miss my fertility window to begin.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF.
Can not recall cost of egg harvest. Frozen embryo transfer is 4500$. Annual cryo embryo storage is $600. There is also an annual storage fee for leftover sperm which I don't recall. Medication is not paid through them.
He will not allow a pregnancy of more than 2 at a time as he feels it is too risky to mom and baby's health. If you opt to transfer more than two, you must sign a waiver that, in the event of 3+ implantations, you agree ahead of time to terminate all but two.
PCOS, Unexplained
He is the greatest doctor I have seen. Over my 8 year journey I have seen many doctors and I have never felt more comfortable or trusting of a doctor. I know that he is the doctor for me and he will do all that he can to figure out my issues.... Antagonist protocol using birth control, Gonal F, HCG, Ganirelix and a trigger of either Lupron or Novarel. I have done one retrieval with Dr. Schmidt, 2 frozen transfers, and am in the process of another retrieval with the some protocol as last time.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
He is the greatest doctor I have seen. Over my 8 year journey I have seen many doctors and I have never felt more comfortable or trusting of a doctor. I know that he is the doctor for me and he will do all that he can to figure out my issues. I feel very confident in him and his office!
Go see him! Worth the waitlist and the money!
The BEST clinic I have ever been to! I went to 3 clinics in Utah and moved to CA and have felt the best about Nova by far! They all know me, know my name, say Hi to me whenever I am there, they know about my personal life. They have the best staff and Dr Schmidt is amazing and knows his stuff! I feel so comfortable with him and I know that if anyone can get me pregnant it will be him!
So nice, helpful, personal and knowledgable. Love them all!
Describe your experience with Nova IVF.
I truly am so happy with this clinic - from the front desk staff, accounting and insurance people, nurses, the doctors, etc. Very impressed. They are efficient, friendly, personable. The clinic is very nice, updated, clean.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF.
Fortunately for our 2017 rounds we had Progeny insurance through my husband's employeer.
Mountain View
Dr. Schmidt is GOLD I would recommend him to everyone. He is a father of 4 himself. He is caring. He is honest. He is competent. I grew up in the Palo Alto area with the best medical care and as a young adult he was the best infertility Doctor for me....We began a search within the bay area for a fertility specialist. As far north as San Francisco and as far south as Los Angeles.
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
We began a search within the bay area for a fertility specialist. As far north as San Francisco and as far south as Los Angeles. We interviewed only two Doctors and the second was Dr Schmidt. We knew we would likely only have one shot with the amount of eggs I made. Meaning when fertilized, all embryos would be used and placed in my uterus and none would be frozen for later. Anyone reading this DREAMS of the phone call my husband and I got at 2:05 pm one day after implantation and a subsequent pregnancy test. "Congratulations! You are pregnant!" Dr Schmidt told us over the phone. When I went in to the office for a check up the following week the kind nurse who assisted the partner of Dr Schmidt said "I knew one of the embryos the compactor was the one." She had been literally mother hen-ing my babies for me. Tears. I don't know why I couldn't get pregnant without Dr Schmidts help. I may never know. All I know if I am grateful for him and his team and the nurse who looked after my babies and helped my husband and I get pregnant. Our daughter who we think cleared the way for our two other healthy children are absolute gifts and continue to teach me to be patient and present and appreciate what is right here and now in front of me. The mystery, miracle and subsequents joys in my life happen on their own time and it's almost never right when I want it and that's ok.
Go to see him first.
Competence
Mountain View
They [Nova IVF] had excellent communication and care for us. They consistently walked us through the steps of our journey easing any fear or concern. They were positive and encouraging, giving us clear instructions through the process... I took drugs before retrieval. Gave myself shots and then had to take medications during the process. My DH took antibiotics for 2 weeks prior. They retrieved the eggs and then 3 days later they implanted while I took shots.
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
They were a great team and held our hand through the whole process. I recommend them to everyone. Nurse team was great and supportive . Overall they are amazing and have so much knowledge. Even the on call nurse was efficient and called back right away . Very professional all around from when you first get there till they hand you of to you Obgyn.
They amazing and so supportive you want to go through there clinic.
They held are hand through it all .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Nova IVF.
They were amazing. Always caring and held our hand through the journey, encouraging us to stay positive.
Describe your experience with Nova IVF.
They had excellent communication and care for us. They consistently walked us through the steps of our journey easing any fear or concern. They were positive and encouraging, giving us clear instructions through the process.
2013 - 2014
6 IUI, IVF
2013 - 2014
6 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
Dr. Schmidt and the Nova team were the best I've encountered in the business. It is definitely hard to book them as they have a long wait list but the wait is worth it. Dr. Schmidt is attentive, diagnosed our problem right away and had a solid plan. I knew I was in good hands and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Even though they are out of network for my insurance, I still went with them and the staff helped me get some reimbursement back from my insurance. The only improvement I would ask of them is their communications. It was fine and I wasn't overly anxious throughout but I know some women want every single detail of their labs and scans and ASAP. They would sometimes be a few hours late in calling me back with the results. I didn't care that much though. I would recommend Nova to anyone who is considering IVF.
Put yourself on the waitlist ASAP.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Nova IVF.
they were all very friendly although my coordinator changed in the middle and there were some miscommunications due to it.
4 IUI, IVF
He [Dr. Schmidt] will exude positivity and confidence. Just go in there an ask your questions, voice your concerns but also allow him to do what he is excellent at.
European, Latino
4 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
He had an amazing energy and was very positive. He listened to my concerns and was considerate of my feelings. I was always happy to go to my appointments because Dr. Schmidt would make me feel like I could conquer this obstacle. He was very honest about my chances which was helpful.
I would just tell anyone who goes to see him that he is a remarkable doctor who uses state of the art treatment. He will exude positivity and confidence. Just go in there an ask your questions, voice your concerns but also allow him to do what he is excellent at.
The team knew me as a person. They would ask me questions about my dog Apple and my family and my life. And the best part is they remembered everything I would tell them. They would answer every single email that I sent to them and call me as well. I felt like we were friends; they really cared. The nurses would hug me everytime I left their office. It was honestly the best experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Nova IVF.
They seemed to understand my struggle and were very sensitive to my needs. I am a big communicator and they never made me feel bad about asking so many questions. They were so sweet and loving as well as professional and intelligent.
2012 - 2015
None, Unexplained
Dr. Schmidt has a long wait list now so get on it! His clinic is small because he is the only doctor but that means a very personalized experience.
2012 - 2015
None, Unexplained
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Schmidt and his Nova clinic. He exudes caring and confidence and I put complete faith and trust in him. His SAART numbers back him up as he has excellent results. His clinic is small because he is the only doctor but that means a very personalized experience. Someone always answers the phone. The front desk staff knows all the patients. The atmosphere in his office is soothing. His embryologist is excellent and they have worked together for many years.
He has a long wait list now so get on it! But the reason his wait is long is because your treatment will be very personal with Schmidt directing things and you seeing him frequently.
I always felt very well cared for by everyone at the clinic but especially by Dr. Schmidt himself. I truly felt they cared about my outcome. I always get prompt and thorough responses to emails or phone calls
Describe your experience with your nurse at Nova IVF. (Assigned nurse: Taryn)
Friendly and easy to talk to. Well organized. Good at doing blood draws and injections
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
PCOS, Other
He [Dr. Schmidt] was wonderful from the very beginning. He walked us through each step of retrieval, genetic testing of the embryos and implantation. We got pregnant on the first try. He and his staff are so compassionate...He is kind, knowledgeable and compassionate. We always felt cared for and comfortable with each step and level of skill being provided...
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
Call immediately as there can be a wait to get in.
He was wonderful from the very beginning. He walked us through each step of retrieval, genetic testing of the embryos and implantation. We got pregnant on the first try. He and his staff are so compassionate.
The RNP and PA were awesome! Caring and competent.
Describe your experience with Nova IVF.
We experienced nothing but the best care. I highly recommend them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF.
We had insurance coverage but he waived some fees since we had to do more than one egg retrieval
IUI, 1 IVF
It is my first time of IVF cycle [with Dr. Schmidt] and not completed yet. I basically just follow what the doctor told me to do. I would like to set expectations before the treatment and they often say the doctor will decide based on this experience. Now the information is not complete and he will know better next time when blablabla. Then I have to hold my question until the next visit. But I would like to know first different scenarios that they failed to tell the patient in advance...The waiting list for Dr. Schmidt is very long. We don't have a chance to get the first consultation and make an appropriate evaluation first...
IUI, 1 IVF
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
It is my first time of IVF cycle and not completed yet. I basically just follow what the doctor told me to do. I would like to set expectations before the treatment and they often say the doctor will decide based on this experience. Now the information is not complete and he will know better next time when blablabla. Then I have to hold my question until the next visit. But I would like to know first different scenarios that they failed to tell the patient in advance.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Nova IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dami)
They are generally responsive and show compassion.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF.
13,000-14,000 for one time frozen embryos transfer IVF.