9.8

Richard Schmidt works at

2500 Hospital Dr
Mountain View, CA 94040
650-325-6682

[Dr. Richard Schmidt] decided for us to be on clomid for both of the IUIs under his care...He was thorough and kind. Hopeful. He cared to spend the time in the consult with us. Though we did not see him more than the one time, he left us in good hands. He allowed us to ask all of our questions, and we had a lot...The first time they did an ultrasound to make sure there were no cysts. They also drew blood the first time to test my hormone levels. After measuring the size of my eggs that developed, the first time they decided day 14 and the second time day 13. I only had 1 egg develop the second time, but they didn’t want to give a chance for two more to develop big enough to risk 3.
I came in [to Nova IVF] for a blood draw and then they took me back to a room to change and said they were going to do an ultrasound. I was not prepared and was not told they needed to do one that day. They said they called in the clomid and when I showed up to my pharmacy it was about to close and did not hear from the doctor. I needed to prescription that night, so it was stressful to try and get them on the phone and then have them call in another pharmacy that would be open later. They said they would give me my ultrasound at next appointment and the next appointment they did not have it. The financial counselor said I could do as many ultrasounds as I wanted, but then when I started treatment she said I could only do more if the doctor required it.
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
Come in knowing some of what you hope for in the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
They were kind, thorough, and gave plenty of time for questions
Describe the protocols Richard Schmidt used in your cycles at Nova IVF and their degree of success.
They decided for us to be on clomid for both of the IUIs under his care. The first time they did an ultrasound to make sure there were no cysts. They also drew blood the first time to test my hormone levels. After measuring the size of my eggs that developed, the first time they decided day 14 and the second time day 13. I only had 1 egg develop the second time, but they didn’t want to give a chance for two more to develop big enough to risk 3.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Nova IVF.
I appreciated the care of the technicians on Monday mornings when I would go in for a scan. The second time around though I asked to keep the ultrasound of my follicle, and they said they could print it at the next appointment. The next appointment they printed a copy but it was only if the two smaller eggs that weren’t going to be large enough in time. They said the computer doesn’t save more than one page worth of images, so then I was unable to get a picture of the follicle they would be released and potentially an embryo if fertilized. This was disappointing at spending $2,500 per IUI. They also gave no instruction for my husband for collection. He wasn’t sure if he needed to come to the clinic, if they even had a room for him, or if he would have to bring in the specimen. This made him uncomfortable and not thought about in the process. At the consultation, one nurse (or financial counselor) told me that the IUI was so expensive because I could get as many ultrasounds as I wanted during the wait to watch the follicle develop. When I asked her during the time of my IUI cycle she acted like it was an absurd question. She said she meant that if needed and if it was the doctor’s protocol I could get more ultrasounds. This was disappointing and made it seem like $2,500 was not worth it when other clinics charge $1,000.
Describe your experience with Nova IVF.
They are friendly and do care about you. You don’t feel like a number because the clinic is so small. You meet both doctors so you know them both and aren’t surprised by who will do the procedure. The financial part is confusing and fast during the consultation. The cost does not make sense from one clinic to another. But if we are to do IVF I feel like I would feel more comfortable at this clinic taking care of my embryos and more wary at another clinic at this point, but for more than double at $22,000 we are very unsure what to do.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF.
$2,500 which includes the price of purchasing clomid and the HCG on our own. There were tests outside of this that were required as well prior to treatment, and those cost a lot.
Describe Richard Schmidt's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Nova IVF.
None
What specific things went wrong at Nova IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Nova IVF.
I came in for a blood draw and then they took me back to a room to change and said they were going to do an ultrasound. I was not prepared and was not told they needed to do one that day. They said they called in the clomid and when I showed up to my pharmacy it was about to close and did not hear from the doctor. I needed to prescription that night, so it was stressful to try and get them on the phone and then have them call in another pharmacy that would be open later. They said they would give me my ultrasound at next appointment and the next appointment they did not have it. The financial counselor said I could do as many ultrasounds as I wanted, but then when I started treatment she said I could only do more if the doctor required it.
Mountain View

1. [Dr. Schmidt] Does not go into details unless asked 2. Does not call with updates at times 3. Not always open to new approaches. I wanted to try a natural cycle but was told that was not an option. My only option is medicated cycle. 4. Seems very compassionate 5. Knowledgable about his discipline ... Single embryo transfer is safer for mom and baby since the end goal is to take home baby.
The clinic [Nova IVF] is always clean and very well organized. It's like a well oiled machine with everybody having their function in the machine. Office staff is always super friendly and answers questions without problems. ... They have a " no voicemail policy" so every time you call somebody answers. ... Always fast and very informative, however only ever saw the PA or nurse practitioner. ...
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
1. Does not go into details unless asked 2. Does not call with updates at times 3. Not always open to new approaches. I wanted to try a natural cycle but was told that was not an option. My only option is medicated cycle. 4. Seems very compassionate 5. Knowledgable about his discipline
Be patient.
everything started out great however as the clinic got busier the care became less personalized.
Retrieval #1 Folliculatr phase stimulation. Used BCP for 3 weeks. After that started Follistim BID as well as micro hcg and Ganirelix. Triggered with Novel 2, 000 IU and Lupron. Retrieved 17 eggs and ended up with 9 embryos. Retrieval #2 Luteal phase stimulation. Started stimulation medication after ovulation. Used Follistim, micro hcg, and Ganirelix. Also used Letrozole oral tablets. Retrieved 10 eggs with 4 embryos.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Nova IVF.
Most communicate very well and fast. They have a " no voicemail policy" so every time you call somebody answers.
Describe your experience with Nova IVF.
The clinic is always clean and very well organized. It's like a well oiled machine with everybody having their function in the machine. Office staff is always super friendly and answers questions without problems. Very easy to work with.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Nova IVF.
Initial cycle 20, 000 ICSI 1,900 Embryo transfers 4,900 PGS testing 6,750
What specific things went wrong at Nova IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Nova IVF.
One time my birth control pills didn't get call into the pharmacy.
2016, Unknown Success
It is my first time of IVF cycle [with Dr. Schmidt] and not completed yet. I basically just follow what the doctor told me to do. I would like to set expectations before the treatment and they often say the doctor will decide based on this experience. Now the information is not complete and he will know better next time when blablabla. Then I have to hold my question until the next visit. But I would like to know first different scenarios that they failed to tell the patient in advance...The waiting list for Dr. Schmidt is very long. We don't have a chance to get the first consultation and make an appropriate evaluation first...
They [at NOVA IVF] are generally responsive and show compassion...13,000-14,000 for one time frozen embryos transfer IVF...The waiting list for Dr. Schmidt is very long. We don't have a chance to get the first consultation and make an appropriate evaluation first...
How was your experience with Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF?
It is my first time of IVF cycle and not completed yet. I basically just follow what the doctor told me to do. I would like to set expectations before the treatment and they often say the doctor will decide based on this experience. Now the information is not complete and he will know better next time when blablabla. Then I have to hold my question until the next visit. But I would like to know first different scenarios that they failed to tell the patient in advance.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Nova IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dami)
They are generally responsive and show compassion.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Schmidt at Nova IVF.
13,000-14,000 for one time frozen embryos transfer IVF.