REACH

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of North Carolina
ResidencyCarolinas Med Ctr
1524 East Morehead Street
Charlotte, NC 28207
888.551.0874
19475 Old Jetton Road
Cornelius, NC 28031
888-551-0874
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Richard Wing to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend REACH to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
Dr. Wing was exactly the doctor that we needed. Even though he has a ton of patients and at times I felt like more of a number, the truth is that his care over me was excellent. His review of my history was thorough, as was his diagnostic procedures. I felt like he left no stone unturned and did everything possible to set us up for success with our first IVF. His work is excellent and he is a brilliant doctor. He is also kind and warm. No doctor is perfect, and even if I can pinpoint little things about him or the clinic that I may not have preferred, I would not have traded the care I received for anything else. He knows his stuff and does everything he can to succeed. He is also knowledge and on-top of recent cutting edge research and tests in the field, so I felt like the care I got was top notch and in line with best practice. We loved Dr Wing and hope to use him again for our next transfer!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Wing at REACH?
Hmm the only thing I can think of is to ask a lot of questions and if you have the urge to question what he is doing, try to trust that he really does know his stuff and closely paying attention to your case even if you didn’t see him in person at any given appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Wing at REACH?
Appointments felt quick. Repeat appointments sometimes reviewed the same info we had gone over the prior session.
Describe the protocols Richard Wing used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
I did 3 ovulation induction cycles with clomid or letrozole + ovidrel trigger shot, and once used Gonal F; 1 out of 3 resulted in a pregnancy, but unfortunately it ended up being an early miscarriage. With IVF, we did a Receptiva Dx biopsy which came back positive and therefore I was put on Lupron for 3 months prior to our frozen transfer. I don't remember all the stimulation drugs for IVF, unfortunately. Once transfer time came, I was given intralipid infusions 4 times before and after the transfer; I was also placed on 1mL intramuscular injection of progesterone in oil, 0.1mg estradiol (estrogen patches); heparin injections twice per day, and baby aspirin, as well as extra folic acid and vitamin D (in addition to my PNV).
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Denise and Sue)
These nurses new me by name and were very patient with my questions and anxiety. They were also very compassionate when I experienced my pregnancy loss early on, and also rejoiced with us when we first heard the heartbeat of this current (healthy) pregnancy. At times, I felt like I need to ask further questions in order to get more details (but that could just be me wanting to know everything), and sometimes I felt that some of the nurses weren't aware of the specifics of my situation. I did appreciate their prompt responses to all my phone calls and portal messages. I will miss them greatly!
Describe your experience with REACH.
It's a well-oiled machine - they know what they are doing and seem to be current on all the newest research and technology. At times, I felt that the clinic was mildly disorganized and busy (they see SO many patients), but otherwise I was very pleased with how efficiently they run their clinic in order to help as many people as possible. NO place is perfect, and we were very pleased with this clinic! The receptionists were always very warm and friendly!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
They were a very efficient and well-oiled machine. I never had to wait super long, even if there were a lot of people there for monitoring as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
Our insurance didn't cover any fertility interventions, so it was quite expensive for us. However, it was helpful to have things packaged under one bundle, whether that be our Ovulation Induction Cycle or IVF package - this way we mostly just paid a one-time lump payment and that included all the monitoring and bloodwork, so we rarely got additional bills to worry about.
Describe Richard Wing's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
My doctor suggested we do 1 embryo transfer since I'm still semi-young (under 35) and we have no reason to think it won't be successful. I'm sure if this pregnancy fails (I'm 10 weeks now), and/or for future transfers as I get older, he may want to transfer more than 1 to increase our odds of success. Our clinic's goal is to give us "one healthy baby", rather than multiples which increase chances of complications.
What specific things went wrong at REACH?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Wing is great at explaining everything in detail. He breaks everything down into terms that my husband and I can understand. Dr. Wing is also very realistic and has been honest with us of his opinion on how likely we are to conceive with different treatments.... Dr. Wing has a great bed-side manner. While under his care, we found out that I have endometrial cancer. Dr. Wing was very optimistic and did a great job of keeping my hopes high.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
Keep all of your records from any previous fertility treatments/doctors. Dr. Wing is able to look at those records and possibly see things that other doctors did not see.
I have not gone through a cycle with Dr. Wing yet due to him finding that I have endometrial cancer during a surgery that he performed to remove a polyp on my ovary. We planned on doing an IVF cycle using my own eggs right after the surgery. Sadly, I wasn't able to do a cycle right away because the cancer had to be treated first. The cancer has now been treated and my oncologist has given us 6 months to try to get pregnant before having to have a hysterectomy.
The nurses that performed the blood work and ultrasounds were fantastic! They were all very friendly and made me feel very comfortable.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Overall the clinic is great! They use all of the latest technology and can do a lot of the tests right there in the office rather than having to send them off for results. The only downfall is that they are constantly busy so it can be hard sometimes to get an appointment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
Dr. Wing performed the surgery to remove the polyp on mg ovaries which was very costly (around $6k out of pocket). I have paid a co-pay for my other appointments with him. The cost for my IVF treatment was estimated at $14k, plus the cost of medications (which could not be determined until the time of treatment).
2013 - 2016
PCOS, Other
I rarely got to see my own physician [Dr. Richard Wing] for monitoring at REACH. This resulted in me having questions that either went unanswered or that I had to directly email Dr. Wing about...After two failed cycles, I felt like Dr. Wing left more of the decisions up to us vs. what he recommended, which isn't necessarily what I want while navigating fertility treatment...Dr. Wing doesn't have the best bedside manner, but if you can look past that and try to connect with him about anything, it will likely be worth it.
2013 - 2016
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
Dr. Wing has a mountain of experience, which is invaluable when going through fertility treatment. He is a good surgeon - I had a successful hysteroscopy for a septate uterus as well as one egg retrieval with him. When I first started pursuing fertility treatment, the treatment plan was very clearly laid out. When cycles continued to be unsuccessful, Dr. Wing was actionable about moving to a different protocol or procedure altogether. After my first successful pregnancy, I resumed treatment with Dr. Wing when trying to conceive another child. However, FETs were not successful and I kept having allergic reactions to one of the medications used, but we could not figure out which one. After two failed cycles, I felt like Dr. Wing left more of the decisions up to us vs. what he recommended, which isn't necessarily what I want while navigating fertility treatment. There were two occasions where Dr. Wing was out of town for 2-3 consecutive weeks and I had something bad happen - an ectopic pregnancy requiring methotrexate and a chemical pregnancy after an FET. Both times, I felt like I was passed from doctor to doctor in the practice, at a time when I needed my doctor most. I provided that feedback to Dr. Wing, and he did try to make an effort to see me personally for monitoring (vs. sending me through the normal monitoring shop), which made me feel like he cared about me as a patient.
I rarely got to see my own physician for monitoring at REACH. This resulted in me having questions that either went unanswered or that I had to directly email Dr. Wing about. When I did call the nurses with a question, I often felt like my questions were not welcome. Additionally, REACH charges extra fees called "cycle management fees," which are not billable to insurance, even if the patient has insurance. Over the 4 years I was at REACH for treatment, the fees increased and were added to procedures that previously did not have cycle management fees. Despite the fact that I have paid every bill in a timely manner, I had an impromptu IUI which was scheduled by Dr. Wing canceled because the cycle management fee hadn't been paid (I only had two days notice and was waiting to see if insurance would pay for the IUI before I paid the extra fee). When I discussed this with the head financial person after the fact, she said they are not able to make an exception for me despite my history of prompt payment over the four years I have been a patient. This definitely made me feel like a number.
My first cycle was letrozole only, but was cancelled because I did not respond and ovulated prematurely. My second and third cycles were letrozole + follistim + ovidrel + IUI + crinone and were both unsuccessful. My next cycle was a birth control + gonadotropin + ganirelix IVF cycle that resulted in retrieving 25 eggs and freezing 8 embryos. All embryos were frozen to prevent OHSS. My first frozen transfer (birth control + Lupron + estrogen patches + progesterone shots + crinone + doxycycline + medrol) was successful and resulted in a singleton pregnancy and live birth. A year and half later, my next transfer following the same protocol resulted in a negative pregnancy test and severe allergic reaction for me. Two months later, my next transfer (which eliminated crinone and used Cipro instead of doxycycline) resulted in a chemical pregnancy and another allergic reaction. I wanted to take time off from FETs and had one natural cycle IUI, which was not successful and then one injectable intercourse cycle, which resulted in pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Denise or Mary H.)
Denise (non-IVF nurse) was awesome. She did a good job relaying information to me and going back to Dr. Wing when I had questions. Mary H. (IVF nurse) was a little more challenging to deal with. I felt like I had to stay on top of her to send prescriptions to my pharmacy, I felt like my questions were not always received well, and often times, she would have another nurse call me back (I'm assuming because she is the nurse manager and was busy, but I would've preferred consistency).
Describe your experience with REACH.
REACH has several good doctors with a lot of experience. Most lab results are provided same day, as the lab is in house. However, I feel like they have too many patients and have set policies/procedures that make patients feel like a numbers vs. an individual. Monitoring is usually not performed by your own doctor and there are extra fees called "cycle management fees" which are not billable to insurance even if you have insurance. It is hard to get financial questions answered, and the financial counselors often would not call me back unless they needed to collect money from me. Billing was a nightmare at REACH, I received several incorrect bills, and there was even an incident of my insurance company being charged for a visit with another patient.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
I did not enjoy monitoring. I felt like a number and rarely got to see my own doctor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
Everything was billable to insurance according to my plan, except cycle management fees. These fees are $160 per cycle for ovulation induction and/or IUI, $600 for fresh IVF, $425 for a FET.
Dr. Wing considered my unique situation when recommending eSET. I have a repaired septate uterus, which is not shaped like most women's uteruses, so he felt transferring one embryo was best.
What specific things went wrong at REACH?
Charlotte
Richard Wing has great bed side manner and explain the process to me. I felt nervous my first visit and he help calm my nerves. You can tell he knowsaid what he is doing. The only thing I would say was his weakness was he did not check or explain to me what I should do next after my first IUI failed...Dr wing said that my insurance doesn't include infertility treatments so he gave me a discount of 1 IUI for Lil over 1000 dollars. Not including labs appts. Or ultrasounds
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
You maybe listed as his patient but I saw 3 other doctors more than I saw him during my IUI process.
Dr. Wing was great but to be honest I only seen him 2 visits.....but when it came to do the iui...someone I never seen before did it. Which I get the on call process but I felt they didn't explain that to me then. I saw three doctors total but Dr. wing wasn't involved in the initial process....but his bed side manner was great. Just wish I had him during my actual IuI.....the nurse did my actual IUI and I felt like she was ok its done, stay her 15mins and you can go....which made me feel more like a burden then someone they was trying to help.
He put me on clomid and I had lab and ultrasounds to see if my eggs was mature. Once that all check out a nurse came in to do it and really didn't explain to me what she was doing she said ok it's done wait 15mins and you can leave.
Dr wings nurse was great not sure of her name but I could call her with questions and if she didn't know she called me back with an answer....she showed compassion and held my hand during my first appt....but when you start going through the process you get whoevers on call...and the nurse that was on call the day of my IUI treated me like I was someone she needed to check off her list.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths are the The overall Doctors seem to know what they are doing.....all seemed more then qualified. Some of the staff needs a better attitude though. I work in the health care field as a CNA at a birthplace. So I get to see women deliver all the time . If your not careful you get caught up in saying this is just another delivery. So I check my heart often and make sure this is the best experience ever. Why because though Ive seen thousands of deliveries they havent. This is Thier child and they shouldn't be treated like their baby is a check off list. This is a special moment for them. I think some of Reach nurses need to understand that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
Over Dr wing said that my insurance doesn't include infertility treatments so he gave me a discount of 1 IUI for Lil over 1000 dollars. Not including labs appts. Or ultrasounds