Medical SchoolU. of Miami
FellowshipLouisiana St
3250 Fordham St
San Diego, CA 92110
1-800-290-5000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Richard Yoo to a friend?

6.2

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente SoCal to a friend?
2016 - 2019
Undergoing IUI with male I fertility factor, Dr Yoo was focused mostly on getting the timing right for ovulation. ... He suggested giving IUIs a go, since they were covered by insurance but also advised IVF with ICSI may be required (our next step). ... Dr Yoo is great at coming up with analogies to help you understand treatment. He will personally call with important news, but is slower to respond to email.
2016 - 2019
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is great at coming up with analogies to help you understand treatment. He will personally call with important news, but is slower to respond to email. He is positive and good natured. He is a little too laid back however and doesn’t always explain the science. He does try to be a good listener, though.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
He will answer all your questions, despite the time it takes. So don’t feel pressured to rush through your appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is friendly and easy to work with. He called me directly with very important news. However his staff is terrible. If asked to rate his staff, I would say they make me very much feel like a number not a human.
Describe the protocols Richard Yoo used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Undergoing IUI with male I fertility factor, Dr Yoo was focused mostly on getting the timing right for ovulation. I thankfully responded well to chlomid and never needed my medication adjusted. He suggested giving IUIs a go, since they were covered by insurance but also advised IVF with ICSI may be required (our next step). He also provided care and follow up related to my ectopic pregnancy that resulted from our 4th IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Foust)
Danielle Foust rushed through injectables “training”. She does not exude a kind, patient or compassionate bedside manner. As the advice nurse at the clinic, she reassured me I was not having a miscarriage when in fact I was having an ectopic pregnancy. Worst yet, when I was advised by ER OB to follow up with my RE after diagnosis, she was a direct barrier to me seeing Dr Yoo. She literally wouldn’t allow me to make the appointment. During the most stressful time in my life, she compounded my anxiety and stress.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
No strengths other than Dr Yoo. The clinic hours and scheduling are horrendous. The pharmacy is small, slow and the staff are not kind or patient. Most staff besides Dr Yoo treat you like a number and are not sensitive or compassionate to the needs of a couple undergoing something very hard and stressful. I’m an easy going and patient person, but I have come to wholeheartedly detest this clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
We stuck with a clinic we detested because IUIs and chlomid were covered under insurance. So costs were low copays.
Describe Richard Yoo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
He is pro single.
San Diego

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

2017 - 2019
Throughout treatment, I had few appointments with Dr. Yoo. In retrospect, this is okay, because I really like the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar, better....Dr. Yoo probably has a very large caseload, making him less available and much less invested in your particular case. He is blunt and pessimistic. This is what you need to an extent, of course, but he really did little to change protocol or tailor treatment.
European, Latino
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Honestly, I think that being the the only Kaiser fertility clinic in San Diego, Dr. Yoo probably has a very large caseload, making him less available and much less invested in your particular case. He is blunt and pessimistic. This is what you need to an extent, of course, but he really did little to change protocol or tailor treatment. He also failed to warn me of a condition with my tubes that could seriously impact my fertility. It wasn't until another doctor reviewed his medical records that I was made aware of the complication. I spent over a year before finding out.
You will have to be your own advocate. Research everything. Ask, sometimes repeatedly, for specifics about your case. If you have DOR, are a "poor responder" to meds, or are older, he is definitely not a good fit. After three failed IUIs, and his failure to alert me to a tubal issue I had, he went straight to telling me I need to give up or go with donor eggs.
Throughout treatment, I had few appointments with Dr. Yoo. In retrospect, this is okay, because I really like the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar, better. Dr. Yoo did not seem invested in my case and he did not spend much quality time looking into things or discussing with us our case. He typically spoke just in general terms.
The first two IUIs were with Clomid, lower doses that were slightly increased. For the third IUI, I was switched to Menopur, again low dose, to finally maxed out. Throughout the treatement I had one Clomid cycle canceled and one Menopur cycle canceled due to poor response. After that, Dr. Yoo told me to quit trying or use donor eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
The person who I enteracted with most was the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar Platzer. She was incredibly empathetic and has a great bedside manner. She was always very upfront about my prognosis, but also always offered hope and was willing to talk at length about my particular situation.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser first and foremost is a large private insurance company, so expect to be treated like a number. The San Diego clinic is busy and you have to go by their availability, which can sometimes interfere with your cycle. Everyone is friendly, but it takes a long time for some of them to recognize you, even when you are going frequently. Again, I think this is due to the high volume of patients. If you have anything particular about your case, you're going to have to be your own advocate and research on your own quite a bit.
My insurance covered IUI and related medications. I just had small copays. However, IVF is not covered whatsoever.

2017 - 2019
Dr. Yoo is very to the point, direct, and gives you a lot of information. ... I only wish I had more time with him and didn't see different doctors during ultrasounds or IUI's. ... I have unexplained infertility and am moving on to work with him doing IVF. ... Basically he gives you the info and you decide what you want to do and show up call and do it. You hope it works then call again to meet with him to do another round of IUI or discuss next steps.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo is a excellent Dr. and knows how to explain your options clearly. I have unexplained infertility and am moving on to work with him doing IVF. I didn't get to see him much though as he works through Kaiser and you see different Drs depending on who is working that day. If my insurance didn't cover my IUI's I'm not sure if I would've gone through him simply because of the lack of time with him and I didn't receive any follow up phone calls. Basically he gives you the info and you decide what you want to do and show up call and do it. You hope it works then call again to meet with him to do another round of IUI or discuss next steps.
I would just let them know if they want more communication they have to initiate it all and be an advocate for yourself.
Dr. Yoo is very to the point, direct, and gives you a lot of information. I like they way he explains everything. I only wish I had more time with him and didn't see different doctors during ultrasounds or IUI's.
The strategy was to do 3 natural IUI's (because I ovulate on my own). Then we moved on to clomid with the lowest dosage. I didn't respond well to clomid in that it thinned my uterine lining so I took estrogen. Then we did another round of clomid and I took estrogen right away and my lining got thicker that round. After 5 rounds I was physically and emotionally exhausted so I took about 6 months off. Now Dr. Yoo is suggesting I take stims and do a few more IUI's the I'm moving to IVF if that doesn't work. He gives you your options and you decide what you want to do.
They seem very busy but they are quick depending on who you see. I think Deb retired but she was not very pleasant and was unorganized. Everyone else was good.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Strengths-It's easy to get apts (apt center is great), Drs all know what they are doing and are efficient, the pharmacy is right next door and easy to get prescriptions. Billing is always straightforward and I've never had any issues. Weaknesses-follow up and communication. It is up to you to call after a failed cycle and they you come back and jump right back in (at least that was my experience) you can feel like just another number and like they are just following protocol.
I have insurance through Kaiser so I paid a copay for each visit, each blood test, and receive a discount on meds. Some of the tests were out of pocket but not too bad.
We discussed this and he said he does single embryo transfer.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Yoo was frank and we appreciated that. ... During a consult after receiving initial labs, another couple's information was being referred to. ... Dr. Yoo provided no direction in regards to nutrition other than take a prenatal and fish oil...brand or quality didn't matter. ... Dr. Yoo, when we saw him, treated us as a human. ... Both IUI's involved Menopur and a trigger shot, followed by progesterone for the two week window after each cycle.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo was frank and we appreciated that. We were somewhat limited considering this was the only health "coverage" for fertility that we had. For that I have to have realistic expectations in what that quality of care might look like. Attention to detail is huge in this industry. While our hospital bracelets and documents were always checked and cross-checked prior to any procedure there was a red flag for me during initial visits. During a consult after receiving initial labs, another couple's information was being referred to. This couple had "better" lab results than I did and so I questioned Dr. Yoo's take on our situation as I had already viewed our lab results and knew they were not as good as he'd indicated. He apologized and I get it...there are a lot more of us seeking fertility treatment than any of us think. It's easy to get confused. Dr. Yoo provided no direction in regards to nutrition other than take a prenatal and fish oil...brand or quality didn't matter.
Do your fertility homework. Read a couple of fertility books, and recent journal articles that talk about egg quality and both eastern and western approaches to fertility. Make a list of questions to be asked and diagnostics you want done. I suspect nothing is said regarding nutrition and supplements because of liability issues. Regarding any diet and nutrition guidance, you may be on your own on this one.
Dr. Yoo, when we saw him, treated us as a human. The staff generally did their part to make me feel like a human; however, the approach the clinic takes overall made me feel like a number. There was a bit of turnover during our first cycle with some warmer staff leaving and newer staff taking over that lacked the the same warmth and genuine sense of care. The greatest contributor towards feeling like a number at this clinic was during the medication teaching. There were 20+ women in the class and for the majority, this was not their first or second time with using Menopur for IUI. There were so many patients that it was hard to not feel like a number. The instructor did make every effort to answer questions. All patients in the class were being treated with the same drug (one box approach for all patients). Lastly, weekends or holidays impact cycles. We were directed to trigger possibly a day earlier as there were no clinic hours on Sundays. Considering the time/money/effort/stress, the feeling of the clinic trying to "fit" your cycle into their working hours also contributed to feeling like a number.
Thorough and timely with responding to messages in detail.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
This was a Kaiser facility. The clinic feels like an average medical office on a medical campus. Nursing staff was detailed and did answer all of our questions. However, you have to know which questions you need to ask. We absolutely learned that we have to advocate for our own health.
Some medications were covered at 50% with insurance. Co-pays for each office visit were $25. Roughly $2000 for each IUI (including insurance).
San Diego

I feel like he's [Dr. Yoo] compassionate but will let you know unfortunate facts about your diagnosis and or treatments . ( hes a sensitive straight shooter ) He has never made me feel dumb in any way or got offended by me asking why does he do this when I hear other doctors do that ... YOO is a breath of fresh air compared to the others and with him I finally feel hopeful .I've been seen by 2 other doctors . He's the only one who took me seriously , listen and came up with a plan that fit my wants and needs .
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I feel like he's compassionate but will let you know unfortunate facts about your diagnosis and or treatments . ( hes a sensitive straight shooter ) He has never made me feel dumb in any way or got offended by me asking why does he do this when I hear other doctors do that . Like I've mentioned I've seen other doctors , YOO is a breath of fresh air compared to the others and with him I finally feel hopeful .
He listens , ask as many questions as you want .
My 1st round of clomid 150 , I made way too many follicles to do iui so YOO cut back on the clomid . Next month we did the clomid 125 , I didn't produce any :,( so we did another round , produced one , pulled the trigger than did an iui . 2 weeks later , I didn't get my period but I got an yeast infection . I called the clinic the nurse called me back , she put in for a hsg test and gave me information on treatment for my yeast infection . My hsg test was negative <1 . So now I'm waiting for my period so that I can start my next treatment ( hopefully iui with injectables ) YOO will always take what I want into consideration, if I want to do injectables and he finds it possible he will say yes .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Debra )
So far they're all sweet . I have not had any issues . I appreciate them calling me back in a timely manner when I had questions .
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Everyone acts like they care :D
Luckily I have only had co payments

2011 - 2012
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr Yoo was awesome! He is a good teacher and explained everything so well. He was always candid with us and even after our failed IUI was very frank with us and spent a lot of time (probably an hour or so) going over our options in detail. He would give us printed out copies of journal articles if I wanted more info. He was amazing!... We first started a cycle with clomid that was going well, but the clomid made me start seeing things. We had to cancel the cycle and go to injectables (menopur) as a result.
2011 - 2012
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Ask questions! He will give you the answers! But be sure to find out beforehand if he will be the on doing you IUI day of beforehand so you are not taken off guard. As it is a Kaiser clinic, Dr Yoo has little control over things like who works on the weekend.
Dr Yoo remembered us every time we saw him. His staff remembered me too. They were very careful to go over all the details of everything happening during the process. They even gave us an hcg shot in clinic and let us pay them back later as we had to trigger earlier than was expected.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Dagmar)
Dagmar was amazing! She always returned emails and phone calls right away. She was kind and compassionate. She remembered me every appiontment. You could see that she truly cared for us and wanted us to be successful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Since it is Kaiser they aren’t open all weekend and IUI is done on different locations than IVF. They don’t have their own lab but share with another clinic. At the time (may have changed now) they were unable to do fresh PGS transfers as they had to send them to another lab for testing.
Our IUI cycle was covered by insurance. So all in all for our 2 cycles (one was canceled but we still did all the monitoring appointments and blood draws) we spent about $1900 total on testing, visit co-pays, and medication.
San Diego

He is very rushed which gives the feeling of a number, but he is also personable so that kind of evened things out. ... Dr Yoo helped me through 5 courses of IUI through Clomid, Metformin, and Menopur. Doses varied depending on my level of tolerance and reaction. ... There were one or two occasions that I had to remind him of something he missed. He truly does want for the treatment to work and will make sure you understand what is happening.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is someone who I would recommend to my friends. He is quick to adjust treatment, but with the speed comes the feeling he may have missed something. There were one or two occasions that I had to remind him of something he missed. He truly does want for the treatment to work and will make sure you understand what is happening.
Don't feel rushed as that is simply his speaking style. Ask questions as he is always willing to spend extra time to ensure you understand.
There were no weaknesses I saw in the nursing staff. They were compassionate, sympathetic, and very helpful. They were above all the nicest people I have met.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
One strength is their connection to insurance. They are all very aware of the costs of procedures and what is due when. One weakness is their lacl of a room for patients to process. After a failed IUI, I would look for a place to process and cry, but there was no where to go except out and pay. That was extremely embarassing and difficult.
Approximately $3000/round of IUI.
None.
San Diego

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Dr Yoo is kind and always made me feel comfortable and explained things clearly. He is a friendly and knowledgeable doctor. I get the feeling he might have a large patient load. I was able to communicate with him directly via email.... You can't speak with him unless you make an appointment but he will answer emails!... Dr Yoo is very clear and very understanding, the Kaiser System is what made me feel like a number because
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is very clear and very understanding, the Kaiser System is what made me feel like a number because it takes a long time to get questions answered and I get the feeling he has a lot of patients as he is one of 2 fertility doctors that Kaiser has for the San Diego area.
I can't recall my dosages, but I was on menopur and climid for IUI and then testosterone and Estrace for IVF. The IUI failed and the IVF was cancelled due to pregnancy and miscarriage
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Debbie)
Debbie sent every email in all caps which really bothered me. She didn't answer all the questions I had and was hard to get a hold of. She has retired.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser functions like a factory. I needed a lot of answers on my first round of IVF and the communication was challenging to say the least. Its nearly impossible to get a phone consult with the doctor, you have to make an appointment and it could take a month. Strengths - when they cover you they cover you.
My care was mostly covered by insurance.
Dr Yoo advises one embryo at a time. 2 can be challenging for the mother and the fetus.
San Diego

I felt all my questions were answered, no matter how silly. In addition, our progress was very stop and go in the beginning while we try to figure out financial stuff, but even if it was 6 months later, he [Dr. Yoo] still responded to emails quickly and knew exactly what we were referring too. I felt he remembered our case and that is extremely valuable to me.... My husband and I are on the younger side, but I still felt he took us just as seriously.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
My experiences so far have been great. He was kind and warm, but the information given was very straightforward. I always felt my questions were answered and that he was listening. My husband and I are on the younger side, but I still felt he took us just as seriously.
Never be afraid I reach out and ask questions, even through email. He always responds quickly, thoroughly and nicely.
I felt all my questions were answered, no matter how silly. In addition, our progress was very stop and go in the beginning while we try to figure out financial stuff, but even if it was 6 months later, he still responded to emails quickly and knew exactly what we were referring too. I felt he remembered our case and that is extremely valuable to me.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
We’ve just started treatment, but everyone so far (financial, Kaiser coordinating nurse, etc.) has been wonderful and full of information. At this time, we haven’t even signed the dotted line or paid a penny and everyone I’ve spoken to has given us great information about nutrition, supplements, etc. so we can be in the best shape once we start.
We’ve been given an estimate of $13,200 for the full IVF cycle (monitoring, retrieval, ICSI, embryology, freezing) and $3,000 for each FET. Medications are separate and I was quoted about $3000-4000 for one IVF cycle and one FET. Embryo storage is $40/month for 2 years, after that it increases to about $60/month.

2012 - 2013
He [Dr. Yoo] was professional and knew what he was doing. That’s all anyone in my situation can ask for. He explained the different processes and allowed us to make our decision on which path to take first. We laid out our plan together. After a couple of failed IUI treatments he recommended we try IVF. This is not a decision taken lightly, especially considering the cost. But he explained the process thoroughly and walked us through.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
To be honest, if the IVF procedure worked of course he would have gotten a better score. So please take my rating with a grain of salt. He was professional and knew what he was doing. That’s all anyone in my situation can ask for. He explained the different processes and allowed us to make our decision on which path to take first. We laid out our plan together. After a couple of failed IUI treatments he recommended we try IVF. This is not a decision taken lightly, especially considering the cost. But he explained the process thoroughly and walked us through.
Come with questions regarding success rate and more importantly, personal questions regarding your health and the health of your partners and how it may affect the success rate. Tests may need to be done before even considering IUI or IVF.
The nursing staff were very compassionate during times throughout the entire process. Especially during the negative tests results.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
New patients should know that you may start off at the Kaiser clinic but then the actual IVF treatment is done elsewhere. Kaiser does not pay for a lot of the treatment or even the recommended acupuncture appointments. At least they did several years ago. A lot of the medicine you can get at the Kaiser pharmacy which is conveniently next door.
We paid In installments
San Diego

Dr. Yoo was nice, but I felt like he had a set protocol that he uses on everyone. He didn't really make any recommendations on diet or supplements, we had to find out more about those things on our own. ... At one consultation, Dr. Yoo pulled up the chart for a different patient and started to go over their results with us before he noticed the mistake. ... Menopur for stimulation, then progesterone suppositories.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Keep your expectation low, IUI is not a high percentage procedure.
The staff was pretty awesome, very friendly and went out of their way to help us.
Menopur for stimulation, then progesterone suppositories.
They were really positive and I felt like they were really doing their best for us. One nurse even gave us her personal cell number, just in case, even though she was retiring in a few weeks!
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Strengths: The nurses are great. Large, well trained company. Weaknesses: Standardized protocol for everyone. Long line at pharmacy. Even though the IUI itself was covered under insurance, the medication is still expensive.
Perhaps $2000 for the medication, everything was covered under insurance.
3 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF
Dr Yoo proved to know what he was doing with the results. He has a very kind and soft demeanor and is very helpful when it comes to explaining the process. He listened to all of our concerns and answered all of my silly questions. ... I didn’t feel like a number, I felt like Dr Yoo was invested in my story ... IVF with icsi was used, due to my young age he was not aggressive with the meds prior to the egg retrieval ...
3 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center?
I will use him again! Dr Yoo proved to know what he was doing with the results. He has a very kind and soft demeanor and is very helpful when it comes to explaining the process. He listened to all of our concerns and answered all of my silly questions. I also never felt pressured into anything with Dr Yoo.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Yoo at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center?
I didn’t feel like a number, I felt like Dr Yoo was invested in my story
Describe the protocols Richard Yoo used in your cycles at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Debbie)
My nurse was very kind and helpful when I asked for her help. She did a good job guiding me to what I needed to do. There were a few times I had to follow up and take initiative, but that’s to be expected since they have so many patients
Describe your experience with Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.
Staff at the clinic were nice and helpful. They were not as personable as Dr Yoo. I also was not very fond of the parking fees, however the facility is nice and they usually got me out fast so that I wasn’t paying a lot for parking
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Yoo at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.
Approx 30k if out of pocket
Describe Richard Yoo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.
He was very set on only transferring one embryo due to my age
Reproductive Partners Fertility Center
La Jolla

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Richard Yoo at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.

IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr. Yoo was very thorough... He answered all of my millions of questions and helped me understand the process. I felt he gave me realistic expectations, but still remained hopeful and positive... I felt he really cared about me and wasn't just trying to make his money!
IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr. Yoo was very thorough in explaining everything to me. He answered all of my millions of questions and helped me understand the process. I felt he gave me realistic expectations, but still remained hopeful and positive. He went out of his way to call and contact me during and after the process. To this day, I send him pictures of my daughter and am so grateful for all of his help.
Dr. Yoo knew all about my personal story of wanting to become a mother. He asked a lot of questions and was a great listener. I felt he really cared about me and wasn't just trying to make his money!
When I had to figure out the medications: mixing, stirring, injecting, it became very confusing once I got home and had to do it. I had my nurse's cell phone number and she encouraged me to call when I needed her. I had an incident where that happened, and she was very sweet to answer my call and guide me through the process.
Reproductive Partners Fertility Center