Medical SchoolU. of Miami
FellowshipLouisiana St
3250 Fordham St
San Diego, CA 92110
1-800-290-5000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Richard Yoo to a friend?

6.1

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente SoCal to a friend?
2017 - 2019
Dr. Yoo is very to the point, direct, and gives you a lot of information. ... I only wish I had more time with him and didn't see different doctors during ultrasounds or IUI's. ... I have unexplained infertility and am moving on to work with him doing IVF. ... Basically he gives you the info and you decide what you want to do and show up call and do it. You hope it works then call again to meet with him to do another round of IUI or discuss next steps.
2017 - 2019
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo is a excellent Dr. and knows how to explain your options clearly. I have unexplained infertility and am moving on to work with him doing IVF. I didn't get to see him much though as he works through Kaiser and you see different Drs depending on who is working that day. If my insurance didn't cover my IUI's I'm not sure if I would've gone through him simply because of the lack of time with him and I didn't receive any follow up phone calls. Basically he gives you the info and you decide what you want to do and show up call and do it. You hope it works then call again to meet with him to do another round of IUI or discuss next steps.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I would just let them know if they want more communication they have to initiate it all and be an advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo is very to the point, direct, and gives you a lot of information. I like they way he explains everything. I only wish I had more time with him and didn't see different doctors during ultrasounds or IUI's.
Describe the protocols Richard Yoo used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
The strategy was to do 3 natural IUI's (because I ovulate on my own). Then we moved on to clomid with the lowest dosage. I didn't respond well to clomid in that it thinned my uterine lining so I took estrogen. Then we did another round of clomid and I took estrogen right away and my lining got thicker that round. After 5 rounds I was physically and emotionally exhausted so I took about 6 months off. Now Dr. Yoo is suggesting I take stims and do a few more IUI's the I'm moving to IVF if that doesn't work. He gives you your options and you decide what you want to do.
They seem very busy but they are quick depending on who you see. I think Deb retired but she was not very pleasant and was unorganized. Everyone else was good.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Strengths-It's easy to get apts (apt center is great), Drs all know what they are doing and are efficient, the pharmacy is right next door and easy to get prescriptions. Billing is always straightforward and I've never had any issues. Weaknesses-follow up and communication. It is up to you to call after a failed cycle and they you come back and jump right back in (at least that was my experience) you can feel like just another number and like they are just following protocol.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I have insurance through Kaiser so I paid a copay for each visit, each blood test, and receive a discount on meds. Some of the tests were out of pocket but not too bad.
Describe Richard Yoo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
We discussed this and he said he does single embryo transfer.
San Diego

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Yoo was frank and we appreciated that. ... During a consult after receiving initial labs, another couple's information was being referred to. ... Dr. Yoo provided no direction in regards to nutrition other than take a prenatal and fish oil...brand or quality didn't matter. ... Dr. Yoo, when we saw him, treated us as a human. ... Both IUI's involved Menopur and a trigger shot, followed by progesterone for the two week window after each cycle.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo was frank and we appreciated that. We were somewhat limited considering this was the only health "coverage" for fertility that we had. For that I have to have realistic expectations in what that quality of care might look like. Attention to detail is huge in this industry. While our hospital bracelets and documents were always checked and cross-checked prior to any procedure there was a red flag for me during initial visits. During a consult after receiving initial labs, another couple's information was being referred to. This couple had "better" lab results than I did and so I questioned Dr. Yoo's take on our situation as I had already viewed our lab results and knew they were not as good as he'd indicated. He apologized and I get it...there are a lot more of us seeking fertility treatment than any of us think. It's easy to get confused. Dr. Yoo provided no direction in regards to nutrition other than take a prenatal and fish oil...brand or quality didn't matter.
Do your fertility homework. Read a couple of fertility books, and recent journal articles that talk about egg quality and both eastern and western approaches to fertility. Make a list of questions to be asked and diagnostics you want done. I suspect nothing is said regarding nutrition and supplements because of liability issues. Regarding any diet and nutrition guidance, you may be on your own on this one.
Dr. Yoo, when we saw him, treated us as a human. The staff generally did their part to make me feel like a human; however, the approach the clinic takes overall made me feel like a number. There was a bit of turnover during our first cycle with some warmer staff leaving and newer staff taking over that lacked the the same warmth and genuine sense of care. The greatest contributor towards feeling like a number at this clinic was during the medication teaching. There were 20+ women in the class and for the majority, this was not their first or second time with using Menopur for IUI. There were so many patients that it was hard to not feel like a number. The instructor did make every effort to answer questions. All patients in the class were being treated with the same drug (one box approach for all patients). Lastly, weekends or holidays impact cycles. We were directed to trigger possibly a day earlier as there were no clinic hours on Sundays. Considering the time/money/effort/stress, the feeling of the clinic trying to "fit" your cycle into their working hours also contributed to feeling like a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
Thorough and timely with responding to messages in detail.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
This was a Kaiser facility. The clinic feels like an average medical office on a medical campus. Nursing staff was detailed and did answer all of our questions. However, you have to know which questions you need to ask. We absolutely learned that we have to advocate for our own health.
Some medications were covered at 50% with insurance. Co-pays for each office visit were $25. Roughly $2000 for each IUI (including insurance).
San Diego

I feel like he's [Dr. Yoo] compassionate but will let you know unfortunate facts about your diagnosis and or treatments . ( hes a sensitive straight shooter ) He has never made me feel dumb in any way or got offended by me asking why does he do this when I hear other doctors do that ... YOO is a breath of fresh air compared to the others and with him I finally feel hopeful .I've been seen by 2 other doctors . He's the only one who took me seriously , listen and came up with a plan that fit my wants and needs .
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I feel like he's compassionate but will let you know unfortunate facts about your diagnosis and or treatments . ( hes a sensitive straight shooter ) He has never made me feel dumb in any way or got offended by me asking why does he do this when I hear other doctors do that . Like I've mentioned I've seen other doctors , YOO is a breath of fresh air compared to the others and with him I finally feel hopeful .
He listens , ask as many questions as you want .
My 1st round of clomid 150 , I made way too many follicles to do iui so YOO cut back on the clomid . Next month we did the clomid 125 , I didn't produce any :,( so we did another round , produced one , pulled the trigger than did an iui . 2 weeks later , I didn't get my period but I got an yeast infection . I called the clinic the nurse called me back , she put in for a hsg test and gave me information on treatment for my yeast infection . My hsg test was negative <1 . So now I'm waiting for my period so that I can start my next treatment ( hopefully iui with injectables ) YOO will always take what I want into consideration, if I want to do injectables and he finds it possible he will say yes .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Debra )
So far they're all sweet . I have not had any issues . I appreciate them calling me back in a timely manner when I had questions .
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Everyone acts like they care :D
Luckily I have only had co payments

2011 - 2012
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr Yoo was awesome! He is a good teacher and explained everything so well. He was always candid with us and even after our failed IUI was very frank with us and spent a lot of time (probably an hour or so) going over our options in detail. He would give us printed out copies of journal articles if I wanted more info. He was amazing!... We first started a cycle with clomid that was going well, but the clomid made me start seeing things. We had to cancel the cycle and go to injectables (menopur) as a result.
2011 - 2012
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Ask questions! He will give you the answers! But be sure to find out beforehand if he will be the on doing you IUI day of beforehand so you are not taken off guard. As it is a Kaiser clinic, Dr Yoo has little control over things like who works on the weekend.
Dr Yoo remembered us every time we saw him. His staff remembered me too. They were very careful to go over all the details of everything happening during the process. They even gave us an hcg shot in clinic and let us pay them back later as we had to trigger earlier than was expected.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Dagmar)
Dagmar was amazing! She always returned emails and phone calls right away. She was kind and compassionate. She remembered me every appiontment. You could see that she truly cared for us and wanted us to be successful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Since it is Kaiser they aren’t open all weekend and IUI is done on different locations than IVF. They don’t have their own lab but share with another clinic. At the time (may have changed now) they were unable to do fresh PGS transfers as they had to send them to another lab for testing.
Our IUI cycle was covered by insurance. So all in all for our 2 cycles (one was canceled but we still did all the monitoring appointments and blood draws) we spent about $1900 total on testing, visit co-pays, and medication.
San Diego

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Dr Yoo is kind and always made me feel comfortable and explained things clearly. He is a friendly and knowledgeable doctor. I get the feeling he might have a large patient load. I was able to communicate with him directly via email.... You can't speak with him unless you make an appointment but he will answer emails!... Dr Yoo is very clear and very understanding, the Kaiser System is what made me feel like a number because
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is very clear and very understanding, the Kaiser System is what made me feel like a number because it takes a long time to get questions answered and I get the feeling he has a lot of patients as he is one of 2 fertility doctors that Kaiser has for the San Diego area.
I can't recall my dosages, but I was on menopur and climid for IUI and then testosterone and Estrace for IVF. The IUI failed and the IVF was cancelled due to pregnancy and miscarriage
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Debbie)
Debbie sent every email in all caps which really bothered me. She didn't answer all the questions I had and was hard to get a hold of. She has retired.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser functions like a factory. I needed a lot of answers on my first round of IVF and the communication was challenging to say the least. Its nearly impossible to get a phone consult with the doctor, you have to make an appointment and it could take a month. Strengths - when they cover you they cover you.
My care was mostly covered by insurance.
Dr Yoo advises one embryo at a time. 2 can be challenging for the mother and the fetus.
San Diego

I felt all my questions were answered, no matter how silly. In addition, our progress was very stop and go in the beginning while we try to figure out financial stuff, but even if it was 6 months later, he [Dr. Yoo] still responded to emails quickly and knew exactly what we were referring too. I felt he remembered our case and that is extremely valuable to me.... My husband and I are on the younger side, but I still felt he took us just as seriously.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
My experiences so far have been great. He was kind and warm, but the information given was very straightforward. I always felt my questions were answered and that he was listening. My husband and I are on the younger side, but I still felt he took us just as seriously.
Never be afraid I reach out and ask questions, even through email. He always responds quickly, thoroughly and nicely.
I felt all my questions were answered, no matter how silly. In addition, our progress was very stop and go in the beginning while we try to figure out financial stuff, but even if it was 6 months later, he still responded to emails quickly and knew exactly what we were referring too. I felt he remembered our case and that is extremely valuable to me.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
We’ve just started treatment, but everyone so far (financial, Kaiser coordinating nurse, etc.) has been wonderful and full of information. At this time, we haven’t even signed the dotted line or paid a penny and everyone I’ve spoken to has given us great information about nutrition, supplements, etc. so we can be in the best shape once we start.
We’ve been given an estimate of $13,200 for the full IVF cycle (monitoring, retrieval, ICSI, embryology, freezing) and $3,000 for each FET. Medications are separate and I was quoted about $3000-4000 for one IVF cycle and one FET. Embryo storage is $40/month for 2 years, after that it increases to about $60/month.

2012 - 2013
IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr. Yoo was very thorough... He answered all of my millions of questions and helped me understand the process. I felt he gave me realistic expectations, but still remained hopeful and positive... I felt he really cared about me and wasn't just trying to make his money!
2012 - 2013
IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center?
Dr. Yoo was very thorough in explaining everything to me. He answered all of my millions of questions and helped me understand the process. I felt he gave me realistic expectations, but still remained hopeful and positive. He went out of his way to call and contact me during and after the process. To this day, I send him pictures of my daughter and am so grateful for all of his help.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Yoo at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center?
Dr. Yoo knew all about my personal story of wanting to become a mother. He asked a lot of questions and was a great listener. I felt he really cared about me and wasn't just trying to make his money!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Debbie)
When I had to figure out the medications: mixing, stirring, injecting, it became very confusing once I got home and had to do it. I had my nurse's cell phone number and she encouraged me to call when I needed her. I had an incident where that happened, and she was very sweet to answer my call and guide me through the process.
Reproductive Partners Fertility Center
La Jolla

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Richard Yoo at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.