6.7

Richard Yoo works at

3250 Fordham St
San Diego, CA 92110
1-800-290-5000

He [Dr. Richard Yoo] used real life examples to compare diagnoses or treatment plans. I perceive that his weakness is not suggesting additional treatment plans or tests. I let him know my concerns and which tests other women have used to diagnose that, and he would shut it down immediately by saying it is not necessary for me. I feel that I know my body best. He speaks textbook, but it is not all textbook...Be your own ADVOCATE. Do not let Dr. Yoo tell you to do a year of clomid if that is not what you are comfortable with.
Nursing staff [at Kaiser Permanente SoCal] was great! They were compassionate, they demonstrated interest in my journey, and they were encouraging throughout...IVF is out of pocket (~$20000)...Strengths: speedy getting me checked in and finding appointments as needed. When I called with a question for the Dr, they passed on the message promptly, and got back to me within an acceptable time limit...4 cycles of IUI and Clomid 50 mg. 1. 1st day of cycle- call to get a preliminary ultrasound. 2. After preliminary ultrasound, take Clomid for 5 days, usually cycle day 3. 3. Come back for mid cycle ultrasound 4. Trigger shot depending on follicule size 5. IUI 6. Progesterone test 1 week after IUI 7. Pregnancy test 2 weeks after IUI He did not want to give me more than 50 mg of Clomid because he stated that Clomid can make the uterine lining thin.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo was great at breaking down the terminology, and answering the questions in simple terms. He used real life examples to compare diagnoses or treatment plans. I perceive that his weakness is not suggesting additional treatment plans or tests. I let him know my concerns and which tests other women have used to diagnose that, and he would shut it down immediately by saying it is not necessary for me. I feel that I know my body best. He speaks textbook, but it is not all textbook.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Appointments felt rushed. When I asked a question, Dr. Yoo explained it or answered it in an annoyed tone. When I suggested a different treatment plan, I felt unheard. It had to be his way or no way.
Describe the protocols Richard Yoo used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Nursing staff was great! They were compassionate, they demonstrated interest in my journey, and they were encouraging throughout.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
With my insurance, all I had to pay was a copayment ranging from $5-$50. IUI and Clomid are covered under my insurance, except IVF which is the next step. IVF is out of pocket (~$20000).
Describe Richard Yoo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Na

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Throughout treatment, I had few appointments with Dr. Yoo. In retrospect, this is okay, because I really like the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar, better....Dr. Yoo probably has a very large caseload, making him less available and much less invested in your particular case. He is blunt and pessimistic. This is what you need to an extent, of course, but he really did little to change protocol or tailor treatment.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Honestly, I think that being the the only Kaiser fertility clinic in San Diego, Dr. Yoo probably has a very large caseload, making him less available and much less invested in your particular case. He is blunt and pessimistic. This is what you need to an extent, of course, but he really did little to change protocol or tailor treatment. He also failed to warn me of a condition with my tubes that could seriously impact my fertility. It wasn't until another doctor reviewed his medical records that I was made aware of the complication. I spent over a year before finding out.
You will have to be your own advocate. Research everything. Ask, sometimes repeatedly, for specifics about your case. If you have DOR, are a "poor responder" to meds, or are older, he is definitely not a good fit. After three failed IUIs, and his failure to alert me to a tubal issue I had, he went straight to telling me I need to give up or go with donor eggs.
Throughout treatment, I had few appointments with Dr. Yoo. In retrospect, this is okay, because I really like the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar, better. Dr. Yoo did not seem invested in my case and he did not spend much quality time looking into things or discussing with us our case. He typically spoke just in general terms.
The first two IUIs were with Clomid, lower doses that were slightly increased. For the third IUI, I was switched to Menopur, again low dose, to finally maxed out. Throughout the treatement I had one Clomid cycle canceled and one Menopur cycle canceled due to poor response. After that, Dr. Yoo told me to quit trying or use donor eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
The person who I enteracted with most was the Nurse Practitioner, Dagmar Platzer. She was incredibly empathetic and has a great bedside manner. She was always very upfront about my prognosis, but also always offered hope and was willing to talk at length about my particular situation.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser first and foremost is a large private insurance company, so expect to be treated like a number. The San Diego clinic is busy and you have to go by their availability, which can sometimes interfere with your cycle. Everyone is friendly, but it takes a long time for some of them to recognize you, even when you are going frequently. Again, I think this is due to the high volume of patients. If you have anything particular about your case, you're going to have to be your own advocate and research on your own quite a bit.
My insurance covered IUI and related medications. I just had small copays. However, IVF is not covered whatsoever.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
In the hysterosalpingogram procedure, they told me one tube was "a bit abnormal" but that it was not blocked, so it was not a concern. Through reading my medical record, they recorded a hydrosalpinx, which even when not causing blockage, it often causes fertility issues. I did not find this out until I switched doctors. My new RE said I need to have that tube fixed and that in the current condition, IUIs were very likely going to fail, so IVF should have been the recommended treatment, after fixing the tube. Kaiser only vaguely mentioned this issue to me, even though they are the ones who diagnosed it. They never discussed the impact on fertility it has or that there was a procedure that could fix it. I wasted a year on trying IUIs that were most likely going to fail without knowing there was much better treatments I could be doing. At my age, losing a year is not something I can afford.
San Diego
Dr. Yoo was frank and we appreciated that. ... During a consult after receiving initial labs, another couple's information was being referred to. ... Dr. Yoo provided no direction in regards to nutrition other than take a prenatal and fish oil...brand or quality didn't matter. ... Dr. Yoo, when we saw him, treated us as a human. ... Both IUI's involved Menopur and a trigger shot, followed by progesterone for the two week window after each cycle.
This was a Kaiser facility. ... Nursing staff was detailed and did answer all of our questions. However, you have to know which questions you need to ask. ... The staff generally did their part to make me feel like a human; however, the approach the clinic takes overall made me feel like a number. ... We were directed to trigger possibly a day earlier as there were no clinic hours on Sundays. ...
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo was frank and we appreciated that. We were somewhat limited considering this was the only health "coverage" for fertility that we had. For that I have to have realistic expectations in what that quality of care might look like. Attention to detail is huge in this industry. While our hospital bracelets and documents were always checked and cross-checked prior to any procedure there was a red flag for me during initial visits. During a consult after receiving initial labs, another couple's information was being referred to. This couple had "better" lab results than I did and so I questioned Dr. Yoo's take on our situation as I had already viewed our lab results and knew they were not as good as he'd indicated. He apologized and I get it...there are a lot more of us seeking fertility treatment than any of us think. It's easy to get confused. Dr. Yoo provided no direction in regards to nutrition other than take a prenatal and fish oil...brand or quality didn't matter.
Do your fertility homework. Read a couple of fertility books, and recent journal articles that talk about egg quality and both eastern and western approaches to fertility. Make a list of questions to be asked and diagnostics you want done. I suspect nothing is said regarding nutrition and supplements because of liability issues. Regarding any diet and nutrition guidance, you may be on your own on this one.
Dr. Yoo, when we saw him, treated us as a human. The staff generally did their part to make me feel like a human; however, the approach the clinic takes overall made me feel like a number. There was a bit of turnover during our first cycle with some warmer staff leaving and newer staff taking over that lacked the the same warmth and genuine sense of care. The greatest contributor towards feeling like a number at this clinic was during the medication teaching. There were 20+ women in the class and for the majority, this was not their first or second time with using Menopur for IUI. There were so many patients that it was hard to not feel like a number. The instructor did make every effort to answer questions. All patients in the class were being treated with the same drug (one box approach for all patients). Lastly, weekends or holidays impact cycles. We were directed to trigger possibly a day earlier as there were no clinic hours on Sundays. Considering the time/money/effort/stress, the feeling of the clinic trying to "fit" your cycle into their working hours also contributed to feeling like a number.
Thorough and timely with responding to messages in detail.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
This was a Kaiser facility. The clinic feels like an average medical office on a medical campus. Nursing staff was detailed and did answer all of our questions. However, you have to know which questions you need to ask. We absolutely learned that we have to advocate for our own health.
Some medications were covered at 50% with insurance. Co-pays for each office visit were $25. Roughly $2000 for each IUI (including insurance).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
There are changes that can be made in diet/nutrition and supplements that can significantly improve the outcomes of some fertility treatments. Even when asked about these areas specifically nothing was mentioned about DHEA or Ubiquinol for women with DOR.
San Diego
Dr. Yoo was nice, but I felt like he had a set protocol that he uses on everyone. He didn't really make any recommendations on diet or supplements, we had to find out more about those things on our own. ... At one consultation, Dr. Yoo pulled up the chart for a different patient and started to go over their results with us before he noticed the mistake. ... Menopur for stimulation, then progesterone suppositories.
The staff [Kaiser] was pretty awesome, very friendly and went out of their way to help us. ... Strengths: The nurses are great. Large, well trained company. Weaknesses: Standardized protocol for everyone. Long line at pharmacy. Even though the IUI itself was covered under insurance, the medication is still expensive. ... They [nursing staff] were really positive and I felt like they were really doing their best for us. One nurse even gave us her personal cell number, just in case, even though she was retiring in a few weeks!
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Keep your expectation low, IUI is not a high percentage procedure.
The staff was pretty awesome, very friendly and went out of their way to help us.
Menopur for stimulation, then progesterone suppositories.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
They were really positive and I felt like they were really doing their best for us. One nurse even gave us her personal cell number, just in case, even though she was retiring in a few weeks!
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Perhaps $2000 for the medication, everything was covered under insurance.