6.6

3250 Fordham St
San Diego, CA 92110
1-800-290-5000

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Undergoing IUI with male I fertility factor, Dr Yoo was focused mostly on getting the timing right for ovulation. ... He suggested giving IUIs a go, since they were covered by insurance but also advised IVF with ICSI may be required (our next step). ... Dr Yoo is great at coming up with analogies to help you understand treatment. He will personally call with important news, but is slower to respond to email.
Poor communication between clinic [Kaiser Permanente] and pharmacy. Infertility Nurse advised me I likely had kidney stones and NOT a miscarriage, which turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy. Menopur “training” really just a long warning about “what you’re getting yourself in to” and the outrageous complexities of scheduling tests and lab work at multiple locations with inflexible hours. ... The clinic hours and scheduling are horrendous.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is great at coming up with analogies to help you understand treatment. He will personally call with important news, but is slower to respond to email. He is positive and good natured. He is a little too laid back however and doesn’t always explain the science. He does try to be a good listener, though.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
He will answer all your questions, despite the time it takes. So don’t feel pressured to rush through your appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is friendly and easy to work with. He called me directly with very important news. However his staff is terrible. If asked to rate his staff, I would say they make me very much feel like a number not a human.
Describe the protocols Richard Yoo used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
Undergoing IUI with male I fertility factor, Dr Yoo was focused mostly on getting the timing right for ovulation. I thankfully responded well to chlomid and never needed my medication adjusted. He suggested giving IUIs a go, since they were covered by insurance but also advised IVF with ICSI may be required (our next step). He also provided care and follow up related to my ectopic pregnancy that resulted from our 4th IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Foust)
Danielle Foust rushed through injectables “training”. She does not exude a kind, patient or compassionate bedside manner. As the advice nurse at the clinic, she reassured me I was not having a miscarriage when in fact I was having an ectopic pregnancy. Worst yet, when I was advised by ER OB to follow up with my RE after diagnosis, she was a direct barrier to me seeing Dr Yoo. She literally wouldn’t allow me to make the appointment. During the most stressful time in my life, she compounded my anxiety and stress.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
No strengths other than Dr Yoo. The clinic hours and scheduling are horrendous. The pharmacy is small, slow and the staff are not kind or patient. Most staff besides Dr Yoo treat you like a number and are not sensitive or compassionate to the needs of a couple undergoing something very hard and stressful. I’m an easy going and patient person, but I have come to wholeheartedly detest this clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
We stuck with a clinic we detested because IUIs and chlomid were covered under insurance. So costs were low copays.
Describe Richard Yoo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
He is pro single.
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Poor communication between clinic and pharmacy. Infertility Nurse advised me I likely had kidney stones and NOT a miscarriage, which turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy. Menopur “training” really just a long warning about “what you’re getting yourself in to” and the outrageous complexities of scheduling tests and lab work at multiple locations with inflexible hours. C
Richard Yoo

2012 - 2013, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Yoo] was professional and knew what he was doing. That’s all anyone in my situation can ask for. He explained the different processes and allowed us to make our decision on which path to take first. We laid out our plan together. After a couple of failed IUI treatments he recommended we try IVF. This is not a decision taken lightly, especially considering the cost. But he explained the process thoroughly and walked us through.
New patients should know that you may start off at the Kaiser clinic but then the actual IVF treatment is done elsewhere. A lot of the medicine you can get at the Kaiser pharmacy which is conveniently next door. ... We paid In installments ... The nursing staff were very compassionate during times throughout the entire process. Especially during the negative tests results.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
To be honest, if the IVF procedure worked of course he would have gotten a better score. So please take my rating with a grain of salt. He was professional and knew what he was doing. That’s all anyone in my situation can ask for. He explained the different processes and allowed us to make our decision on which path to take first. We laid out our plan together. After a couple of failed IUI treatments he recommended we try IVF. This is not a decision taken lightly, especially considering the cost. But he explained the process thoroughly and walked us through.
Come with questions regarding success rate and more importantly, personal questions regarding your health and the health of your partners and how it may affect the success rate. Tests may need to be done before even considering IUI or IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
New patients should know that you may start off at the Kaiser clinic but then the actual IVF treatment is done elsewhere. Kaiser does not pay for a lot of the treatment or even the recommended acupuncture appointments. At least they did several years ago. A lot of the medicine you can get at the Kaiser pharmacy which is conveniently next door.
We paid In installments
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Richard Yoo