6.7

3250 Fordham St
San Diego, CA 92110
1-800-290-5000

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Yoo is very to the point, direct, and gives you a lot of information. ... I only wish I had more time with him and didn't see different doctors during ultrasounds or IUI's. ... I have unexplained infertility and am moving on to work with him doing IVF. ... Basically he gives you the info and you decide what you want to do and show up call and do it. You hope it works then call again to meet with him to do another round of IUI or discuss next steps.
Strengths-It's [Kaiser Permanente] easy to get apts (apt center is great), Drs all know what they are doing and are efficient, the pharmacy is right next door and easy to get prescriptions. Billing is always straightforward ... Weaknesses-follow up and communication ... you can feel like just another number and like they are just following protocol. ... The nurse Debby was giving me a measles shot and she was very unprofessional. She handed me the wrong paperwork for me to sign, she did the shot in the hallway while I was standing up, and I was worried she didn't even have the right shot so I asked to check. The same nurse then forgot to fill my prescription we waited for half and hour then the pharmacy informed us the prescription wasn't put in. I had to walk back and forth twice to ask them to fill it.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo is a excellent Dr. and knows how to explain your options clearly. I have unexplained infertility and am moving on to work with him doing IVF. I didn't get to see him much though as he works through Kaiser and you see different Drs depending on who is working that day. If my insurance didn't cover my IUI's I'm not sure if I would've gone through him simply because of the lack of time with him and I didn't receive any follow up phone calls. Basically he gives you the info and you decide what you want to do and show up call and do it. You hope it works then call again to meet with him to do another round of IUI or discuss next steps.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I would just let them know if they want more communication they have to initiate it all and be an advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Yoo is very to the point, direct, and gives you a lot of information. I like they way he explains everything. I only wish I had more time with him and didn't see different doctors during ultrasounds or IUI's.
Describe the protocols Richard Yoo used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
The strategy was to do 3 natural IUI's (because I ovulate on my own). Then we moved on to clomid with the lowest dosage. I didn't respond well to clomid in that it thinned my uterine lining so I took estrogen. Then we did another round of clomid and I took estrogen right away and my lining got thicker that round. After 5 rounds I was physically and emotionally exhausted so I took about 6 months off. Now Dr. Yoo is suggesting I take stims and do a few more IUI's the I'm moving to IVF if that doesn't work. He gives you your options and you decide what you want to do.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
They seem very busy but they are quick depending on who you see. I think Deb retired but she was not very pleasant and was unorganized. Everyone else was good.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Strengths-It's easy to get apts (apt center is great), Drs all know what they are doing and are efficient, the pharmacy is right next door and easy to get prescriptions. Billing is always straightforward and I've never had any issues. Weaknesses-follow up and communication. It is up to you to call after a failed cycle and they you come back and jump right back in (at least that was my experience) you can feel like just another number and like they are just following protocol.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I have insurance through Kaiser so I paid a copay for each visit, each blood test, and receive a discount on meds. Some of the tests were out of pocket but not too bad.
Describe Richard Yoo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
We discussed this and he said he does single embryo transfer.
San Diego

Dr Yoo is kind and always made me feel comfortable and explained things clearly. He is a friendly and knowledgeable doctor. I get the feeling he might have a large patient load. I was able to communicate with him directly via email.... You can't speak with him unless you make an appointment but he will answer emails!... Dr Yoo is very clear and very understanding, the Kaiser System is what made me feel like a number because
Dr Yoo is very clear and very understanding, the Kaiser System is what made me feel like a number because it takes a long time to get questions answered... Kaiser functions like a factory. I needed a lot of answers on my first round of IVF and the communication was challenging to say the least. Its nearly impossible to get a phone consult with the doctor, you have to make an appointment and it could take a month. Strengths - when they cover you they cover you.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is very clear and very understanding, the Kaiser System is what made me feel like a number because it takes a long time to get questions answered and I get the feeling he has a lot of patients as he is one of 2 fertility doctors that Kaiser has for the San Diego area.
I can't recall my dosages, but I was on menopur and climid for IUI and then testosterone and Estrace for IVF. The IUI failed and the IVF was cancelled due to pregnancy and miscarriage
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Debbie)
Debbie sent every email in all caps which really bothered me. She didn't answer all the questions I had and was hard to get a hold of. She has retired.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My care was mostly covered by insurance.
Dr Yoo advises one embryo at a time. 2 can be challenging for the mother and the fetus.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I requested an egg retrieval through Kaiser, and just before I was to start my baseline they tell me its not possible through my insurance when previously they had. I am very concerned about time due to my age soI had to scramble to get a new doctor who could see me right away. They misquoted me on the cost of the retrieval by about 5k, so I had to have a challenging renegotiation of financial planning with my husband. They don't have their own doctors or facility to do the surgery.
San Diego

He is very rushed which gives the feeling of a number, but he is also personable so that kind of evened things out. ... Dr Yoo helped me through 5 courses of IUI through Clomid, Metformin, and Menopur. Doses varied depending on my level of tolerance and reaction. ... There were one or two occasions that I had to remind him of something he missed. He truly does want for the treatment to work and will make sure you understand what is happening.
One strength is their [Kaiser Permanente] connection to insurance. They are all very aware of the costs of procedures and what is due when. One weakness is their lacl of a room for patients to process. After a failed IUI, I would look for a place to process and cry, but there was no where to go except out and pay. That was extremely embarassing and difficult. ... They [nurses] were compassionate, sympathetic, and very helpful. They were above all the nicest people I have met.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr Yoo is someone who I would recommend to my friends. He is quick to adjust treatment, but with the speed comes the feeling he may have missed something. There were one or two occasions that I had to remind him of something he missed. He truly does want for the treatment to work and will make sure you understand what is happening.
Don't feel rushed as that is simply his speaking style. Ask questions as he is always willing to spend extra time to ensure you understand.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
There were no weaknesses I saw in the nursing staff. They were compassionate, sympathetic, and very helpful. They were above all the nicest people I have met.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
One strength is their connection to insurance. They are all very aware of the costs of procedures and what is due when. One weakness is their lacl of a room for patients to process. After a failed IUI, I would look for a place to process and cry, but there was no where to go except out and pay. That was extremely embarassing and difficult.
Approximately $3000/round of IUI.
None.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
I had to catch incorrect dosages once. My first round of IUI I was on a low dose and once it was increased it skyrocketed and was canceled. They said the next round would increase much slower. The first appointment back, I was told I would be beginning on a high dose. Once I had the dr look at my chart again he noted that it was a mistake and we should start lower.
San Diego
I feel like he's [Dr. Yoo] compassionate but will let you know unfortunate facts about your diagnosis and or treatments . ( hes a sensitive straight shooter ) He has never made me feel dumb in any way or got offended by me asking why does he do this when I hear other doctors do that ... YOO is a breath of fresh air compared to the others and with him I finally feel hopeful .I've been seen by 2 other doctors . He's the only one who took me seriously , listen and came up with a plan that fit my wants and needs .
Everyone [at Kaiser] acts like they care :D ... [Nurses] So far they're all sweet . I have not had any issues . I appreciate them calling me back in a timely manner when I had questions .... Luckily I have only had co payments...I feel like he's [Dr. Yoo] compassionate but will let you know unfortunate facts about your diagnosis and or treatments . ( hes a sensitive straight shooter ) He has never made me feel dumb in any way or got offended by me asking why does he do this when I hear other doctors do that .
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I feel like he's compassionate but will let you know unfortunate facts about your diagnosis and or treatments . ( hes a sensitive straight shooter ) He has never made me feel dumb in any way or got offended by me asking why does he do this when I hear other doctors do that . Like I've mentioned I've seen other doctors , YOO is a breath of fresh air compared to the others and with him I finally feel hopeful .
He listens , ask as many questions as you want .
My 1st round of clomid 150 , I made way too many follicles to do iui so YOO cut back on the clomid . Next month we did the clomid 125 , I didn't produce any :,( so we did another round , produced one , pulled the trigger than did an iui . 2 weeks later , I didn't get my period but I got an yeast infection . I called the clinic the nurse called me back , she put in for a hsg test and gave me information on treatment for my yeast infection . My hsg test was negative <1 . So now I'm waiting for my period so that I can start my next treatment ( hopefully iui with injectables ) YOO will always take what I want into consideration, if I want to do injectables and he finds it possible he will say yes .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Debra )
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Everyone acts like they care :D
Luckily I have only had co payments

2011 - 2012, Unsuccessful
Dr Yoo was awesome! He is a good teacher and explained everything so well. He was always candid with us and even after our failed IUI was very frank with us and spent a lot of time (probably an hour or so) going over our options in detail. He would give us printed out copies of journal articles if I wanted more info. He was amazing!... We first started a cycle with clomid that was going well, but the clomid made me start seeing things. We had to cancel the cycle and go to injectables (menopur) as a result.
Since it is Kaiser they aren’t open all weekend and IUI is done on different locations than IVF. They don’t have their own lab but share with another clinic. At the time (may have changed now) they were unable to do fresh PGS transfers as they had to send them to another lab for testing.... Dagmar was amazing! She always returned emails and phone calls right away. She was kind and compassionate. She remembered me every appiontment. You could see that she truly cared for us and wanted us to be successful.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Ask questions! He will give you the answers! But be sure to find out beforehand if he will be the on doing you IUI day of beforehand so you are not taken off guard. As it is a Kaiser clinic, Dr Yoo has little control over things like who works on the weekend.
Dr Yoo remembered us every time we saw him. His staff remembered me too. They were very careful to go over all the details of everything happening during the process. They even gave us an hcg shot in clinic and let us pay them back later as we had to trigger earlier than was expected.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Dagmar)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Our IUI cycle was covered by insurance. So all in all for our 2 cycles (one was canceled but we still did all the monitoring appointments and blood draws) we spent about $1900 total on testing, visit co-pays, and medication.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
I felt all my questions were answered, no matter how silly. In addition, our progress was very stop and go in the beginning while we try to figure out financial stuff, but even if it was 6 months later, he [Dr. Yoo] still responded to emails quickly and knew exactly what we were referring too. I felt he remembered our case and that is extremely valuable to me.... My husband and I are on the younger side, but I still felt he took us just as seriously.
We’ve just started treatment, but everyone so far (financial, Kaiser coordinating nurse, etc.) has been wonderful and full of information. At this time, we haven’t even signed the dotted line or paid a penny and everyone I’ve spoken to has given us great information about nutrition, supplements, etc. so we can be in the best shape once we start.... We’ve been given an estimate of $13,200 for the full IVF cycle (monitoring, retrieval, ICSI, embryology, freezing) and $3,000 for each FET.
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
My experiences so far have been great. He was kind and warm, but the information given was very straightforward. I always felt my questions were answered and that he was listening. My husband and I are on the younger side, but I still felt he took us just as seriously.
Never be afraid I reach out and ask questions, even through email. He always responds quickly, thoroughly and nicely.
I felt all my questions were answered, no matter how silly. In addition, our progress was very stop and go in the beginning while we try to figure out financial stuff, but even if it was 6 months later, he still responded to emails quickly and knew exactly what we were referring too. I felt he remembered our case and that is extremely valuable to me.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
We’ve been given an estimate of $13,200 for the full IVF cycle (monitoring, retrieval, ICSI, embryology, freezing) and $3,000 for each FET. Medications are separate and I was quoted about $3000-4000 for one IVF cycle and one FET. Embryo storage is $40/month for 2 years, after that it increases to about $60/month.
San Diego

Dr Yoo proved to know what he was doing with the results. He has a very kind and soft demeanor and is very helpful when it comes to explaining the process. He listened to all of our concerns and answered all of my silly questions. ... I didn’t feel like a number, I felt like Dr Yoo was invested in my story ... IVF with icsi was used, due to my young age he was not aggressive with the meds prior to the egg retrieval ...
Staff at the clinic [Reproductive Partners Fertility Center] were nice and helpful. ... I also was not very fond of the parking fees, however the facility is nice and they usually got me out fast so that I wasn’t paying a lot for parking ... My nurse was very kind and helpful when I asked for her help. She did a good job guiding me to what I needed to do. There were a few times I had to follow up and take initiative, but that’s to be expected since they have so many patients
How was your experience with Richard Yoo at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center?
I will use him again! Dr Yoo proved to know what he was doing with the results. He has a very kind and soft demeanor and is very helpful when it comes to explaining the process. He listened to all of our concerns and answered all of my silly questions. I also never felt pressured into anything with Dr Yoo.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Yoo at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center?
I didn’t feel like a number, I felt like Dr Yoo was invested in my story
Describe the protocols Richard Yoo used in your cycles at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Debbie)
Describe your experience with Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.
Staff at the clinic were nice and helpful. They were not as personable as Dr Yoo. I also was not very fond of the parking fees, however the facility is nice and they usually got me out fast so that I wasn’t paying a lot for parking
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Yoo at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.
Approx 30k if out of pocket
Describe Richard Yoo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Partners Fertility Center.
He was very set on only transferring one embryo due to my age
Reproductive Partners Fertility Center
La Jolla

2012 - 2013, Successful
Dr. Yoo was very thorough... He answered all of my millions of questions and helped me understand the process. I felt he gave me realistic expectations, but still remained hopeful and positive... I felt he really cared about me and wasn't just trying to make his money!
When I had to figure out the medications... I had my nurse's cell phone number and she encouraged me to call when I needed her. I had an incident where that happened, and she was very sweet to answer my call and guide me through the process.
Dr. Yoo was very thorough in explaining everything to me. He answered all of my millions of questions and helped me understand the process. I felt he gave me realistic expectations, but still remained hopeful and positive. He went out of his way to call and contact me during and after the process. To this day, I send him pictures of my daughter and am so grateful for all of his help.
Dr. Yoo knew all about my personal story of wanting to become a mother. He asked a lot of questions and was a great listener. I felt he really cared about me and wasn't just trying to make his money!
When I had to figure out the medications: mixing, stirring, injecting, it became very confusing once I got home and had to do it. I had my nurse's cell phone number and she encouraged me to call when I needed her. I had an incident where that happened, and she was very sweet to answer my call and guide me through the process.
Reproductive Partners Fertility Center