Medical SchoolThomas Jefferson
FellowshipUCLA
325 Rolling Oaks Dr
Thousand Oaks, CA 91361
805-778-1122
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Rick Buyalos to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.9
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility & Surgical Associates of California to a friend?
1 IVF, Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
We did stimulated egg retrieval, ICSI, PGS/PGD, and hormone supported FET [with Dr. Rick Buyalos]. Before retrieval we had sperm analysis. During retrieval, saline ultrasound was performed, and before FET, endometrial biopsy was conducted...always took the time to listen to our concerns. He would greet us in the hall by name before we were even in a room. Only two of my visits were with other highly qualified partners.
1 IVF, Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Rick Buyalos at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Dr. Buyalos had experience with other couples seeking IVF with PGD/PGS to prevent the passing of genetic mutations. He was very familiar with the process. He was concerned about low ovarian reserve and the number of cycles that would be needed to find a genetically normal embryo to transfer. We got two healthy embryos from our first cycle. Only set back that occurred was that he thought I had a uterine polyp that he tried to surgically remove, but could not be found at procedure. Was believed to be an artifact seen on ultrasound at egg retrieval.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rick Buyalos at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Dr. Buyalos always took the time to listen to our concerns. He would greet us in the hall by name before we were even in a room. Only two of my visits were with other highly qualified partners.
Describe the protocols Rick Buyalos used in your cycles at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California and their degree of success.
We did stimulated egg retrieval, ICSI, PGS/PGD, and hormone supported FET. Before retrieval we had sperm analysis. During retrieval, saline ultrasound was performed, and before FET, endometrial biopsy was conducted.
Most of the nurses we worked with were great. Every so often there would be a nurse or two that seemed to fail in communicating things properly, or showed little compassion.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Do a lot of your own research on the overall costs. Some costs are upfront and others come down the line. It is hard to see the big picture in the beginning. Do as much research on your own as possible about all infertility treatments. If something doesn't seem correct, ask questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rick Buyalos at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Cash discount is $9500 for retrieval, storage - 1 year, and 1 transfer. Does not cover nurse anesthetist $400, medication $4000+, or PGS/PGD through external company. Any procedures that could be billed to insurance were. Cost does not include co-payments from insurance.
Describe Rick Buyalos's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Clinic strongly recommends only one embryo transfer at a time.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Santa Monica
I was never rushed, Dr took his time to explain protocols & procedures & answer any questions I have... Dr. Buyalos was thorough in explaining all of my options. He changed protocols when one didn’t work. He walked me through all procedures & answered all of my questions. His 24/7 availability was really important In my treatment since timing as we all know is most important. I love that he is realistic in his expectations & he makes you believe that things are going to work & he’s not going to stop till it does.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rick Buyalos at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Be patient...be optimistic, trust your Dr!
I have PCOS & have very slow growing follicles. Right away he started me off on a higher dose of Clomid, when that wasn’t working he switched to Femara. That worked! Unfortunately the IUI didn’t work. 2nd cycle he started on Femara, after a week on that we switched to high dose of Clomid & that worked. However the IUI didn’t work. Now my 3rd cycle we did higher dose of Femara for longer intervals & it worked. I’m currently in 2WW!
They are amazing. They all want this to work for you just as bad as you want it to work. They listen to Your concerns, calm your nerves & genuinely care for you. They explain your protocols thoroughly & even make you a calendar to help keep things organized
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Their strengths are that they are available 24/7. There are several Dr’s there to help you with your journey. The nursing staff is amazing. I really don’t have any negatives I’ve experienced so far in my journey
My monitoring is $150/ ultrasound & the IUI procedure itself was $255
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor
From our very first visit Doctor Buyalos was very informative and very enthusiastic to help us with our situation. He always was very thorough and detailed on what the next steps were. While in his office we saw that he even used some type of phone service to record what was decided in our first meeting with him and he would continue to use this every time we met with him. He called us within a few days of our first meeting and wanted to check up on us and see if we were taking proper steps needed to help eliminate other factors before jumping into IVF. At one time he called us when he was out of the country to check up on us and see how we were doing and to make sure that we being on schedule with the testing that he had recommended us to do. It was all very new to us and in our area the doctors are nowhere as thorough and informative as Doctor Buyalos. We do not mind the drive of three and a half hours from where we live in Hanford to Thousand Oaks because we know that every appointment with Doctor Buyalos will be informative and thorough and always focused on our needs and we love the fact that every test we need can be done in his office.
Do not be afraid to ask questions. Doctor Buyalos is very good at explaining everything and every step of the IVF process.
I felt that we were treated as humans because after the first visit he remembered our names and he was always very enthusiastic in the way he talked to us and he always treated kind and with respect.
First we had my wife checked out and he looked over her previous records and stated he was not concerned with endometriosis. He then had me do another sperm analysis. I was then refer to Dr. Zeitlin do to low sperm count. Here I did several tests; prostate check, ultrasound and he started me on medication. I began to take Anastrozole 1 mg daily and Clomiphene Citrate 50mg a half pill every other day. They continued to test sperm and added in CoQ10 to help as well. After using this for several months my results improved and Dr. Buyalos said IVF would be our best route. We then worked on getting money together and began to order meds and set up schedule. My wife was seen many times while on injections and blood tested as well. All meds were used and never adjusted as he said she was responding very well. On day of retrieval he projected 17 eggs and we were shocked to hear 30 eggs were retrieved. On day one of fertilization we had 22 on day 3 we still had 22 and both us and doctor were shocked. By day 5 we had 4 ready to freeze and possibly 5 more. We ended up with 7 embryos before PGS testing.
The nursing staff was very informative and always very warm and friendly. They always greeted us and after a few visits some even remembered our names and that made us feel like we chose the right place to help us with our procedure. Whatever questions we had they would answer for us they always wanted to make sure that we were doing okay and just like like Doctor Buyalos they were very enthusiastic to help and very positive that they can help us conceive our first child.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
The clinic is very clean and every person at the front desk is very welcoming and very helpful. They always greet you and they always offer you something to drink. Overall the clinic and its staff are amazing.
IVF was around $10,000, PGS testing $3,500 , meds were around $4,000 and extra cost of labs, and procedure between $1,000-$2,000.
Doctor Buyalos recommended that we only do 1 embryo for our first transfer because he did not want us to have any complications and informed us on how multiple embryo transfers can have more complications and be more difficult on the female patient.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
I left another clinic because I felt like a number and wanted personal attention. From our 1st apt, he [Dr. Rick Buyalos] spent over an hour with us, explaining the entire process of IUI and IVF, looking over our previous test results, getting background medical history, preforming US before making any recommendations. Several times he mentioned having to change treatment plans and set up phone calls since we were over 3.5 hrs away. He adapted his schedule so we could have later apts due to our drive. I do like that Dr B preforms all US, which I've learned is not always the case. Monitoring apts are VERY quick.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
I left another clinic because I felt like a number and wanted personal attention. From our 1st apt, he spent over an hour with us, explaining the entire process of IUI and IVF, looking over our previous test results, getting background medical history, preforming US before making any recommendations. Several times he mentioned having to change treatment plans and set up phone calls since we were over 3.5 hrs away. He adapted his schedule so we could have later apts due to our drive. I do like that Dr B preforms all US, which I've learned is not always the case. Monitoring apts are VERY quick.
Dr B is very knowledgeable and kind. He truly cares about you as a patient and wants the best outcome for you.
Everyone from the office staff, nurses and Dr. B. were concerned with me as a person and spent time with me to make sure I understood everything. They rearranged their schedule for apts since I was traveling 3.5 hrs to each apt and the nurses made me feel like I was a part of their family.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
The nurses here are the BEST! After monitoring apts, I would sit down with the nurses to go over meds, schedule other apts, and explain anything I wanted to understand. All phone calls were returned same day for any and all questions. I can't say enough about them!
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Open 365 days a year, with morning apts on weenends and holidays. This is VERY important when doing IUI and ER since they are time sensitive. There is an after hours phone service that takes messages and a doctor is on call all the time. I had some bleeding and one of the doctors returned my call a half an hour later on Easter Sunday. Also, the doctors cover foreachother for monitoring apts- although it is YOUR primary doctor that has the final say in your treatment.
IVF was $9600 FET was $3600
Single embryo transfers are preferred, but Dr B allowed us to transfer 2 since they were not PGS tested. Also he commented that I had a long torso and would be able to handle twins if both embryos implanted.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
He [Dr. Rick Buyalos] really took the time to understand our case and give us options. He didn't push us in a certain direction and was very candid with us about our situation. Very warm, intelligent, and caring...He spent a great deal of time with us when we first met with him and helped us understand our case. He was honest and warm. He's very skilled, very intelligent, and very passionate...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
He spent a great deal of time with us when we first met with him and helped us understand our case. He was honest and warm. He's very skilled, very intelligent, and very passionate. I cannot say enough good things about him.
Don't be afraid to ask him pointed questions; he's comfortable answering any questions.
Great bedside manner, didn't try to make money off of us. He really took the time to understand our case and give us options. He didn't push us in a certain direction and was very candid with us about our situation. Very warm, intelligent, and caring.
Clomid, Menopur and Bravelle for first egg retrieval (until Bravelle pulled from market), then Gonal-F. I actually like the Gonal-F better (much easier to inject with the pen). 3 egg retrievals and embryo biopsies. We didn't get many per cycle that were normal (1-2), so we did 3 rounds and ended up with 4 normals that were frozen. We wanted to do all egg retrievals first before transfers since it was a race against time with my eggs. Estrogen pills and Progesterone for transfer. I actually preferred the shots of progesterone even though they hurt because it was easier and less messy in some ways. I'm not sure about the rationales for everything (can't remember it all now), but the idea was that I didn't have a lot of eggs left that were great, so this maximized the number of good eggs that we got. Our healthy son was born last March.
You were with a different one each time, so we got to where we requested certain people (like Courtney!). Other nurses were not so great at presenting information.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Office isn't great and you can be on hold when you call a great deal. On the day I was waiting for my first pregnancy beta test, my doctor was out of town. The tech who drew my blood said they would call me soon. SIX hours and several frantic phone calls later, they finally said I was pregnant. I had had a panic attack by then. They are very busy, so expect to wait sometimes and for appointments to take a long time. Get to know the front office person, Angie, for better help.
$60,000 total for 3 egg retrievals and 1 transfer.
We told him about a friend of ours who transferred two and ended up with triplets (one split) and he said that he tries to avoid transferring multiple embryos these days because the testing is so much better and because it presents fewer risks to the mother to have only one.
2011 - 2014
Dr. Buyalos did every single ultrasound for every cycle I did. He takes a very hands on approach in his care. As busy as they are, he still really knows his patients and would remember things that I would never expect such a busy doctor to remember... I'm so happy Dr. Buyalos was my doctor. He always made me feel comfortable. He called me personally to discuss things, and made me feel like I wasn't "just a number."
2011 - 2014
Nothing I can think of.
Dr. Buyalos did every ulrasound. He took the time to discuss everything. He called to follow up. He went above and beyond to make me feel like I was under the best care possible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Arlene)
She was on top of everything. She went the extra mile for me whenever there was something she could do to help. I worked most closely with his nurses Terry and Arlene. I just adore them both.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
They were a breeze to schedule with. I came in sometimes as early as 7:45 or even 7:30 for ultrasounds so I could be at work by 9am. Dr. Buyalos did every single ultrasound for every cycle I did. He takes a very hands on approach in his care. As busy as they are, he still really knows his patients and would remember things that I would never expect such a busy doctor to remember. I worked most closely with his nurses Terry and Arlene. I just adore them both. The clinic is not a "factory" as I've heard other clinics be described. In a strange way, I felt like it was incredibly homey. From Angie at the front desk to the billing coordinator, to the nurses drawing labs, to the nurses managing the cycle and of course, my doctor Dr. Buyalos, everyone was just nice and very on top of things. I was in a bind once and needed a prescription called into a pharmacy immediately. The office was closed for lunch and my nurse still got my email and made it happen. When my transfers were successful, the nurses called me with the good news and Dr. Buyalos called me personally afterwards to offer me his congratulations. I had a million questions and emailed and called more than I felt comfortable but not once did any of the staff make me feel like I was a nuisance. We are forever grateful not only for our two miracles but also for the experience we had with them that helped bring them to us.
2008 - 2011
I was extremely pleased with my experience and with his treatment. I saw him at every visit and was able to get in touch with him after hours on one occasion early in my pregnancy, when I was experiencing some issues and was very worried...When I had my miscarriage, Dr Buyulos spent a lot of time answering all of my questions and reassuring me that I still had every reason to believe that I would get the outcome I was hoping for. When I was undergoing treatment with him, I lived two hours away and it was well worth all of the driving back and forth to have a doctor that I could trust to be honest and forthright.
2008 - 2011
European, Latino
I was extremely pleased with my experience and with his treatment. I saw him at every visit and was able to get in touch with him after hours on one occasion early in my pregnancy, when I was experiencing some issues and was very worried. He explained what he thought the issue was and put my mind somewhat at ease until I was able to go in for an office visit (I was out of town at the time, which made the situation even more difficult). Just as he had predicted, there was no major problem with the pregnancy and I went on to deliver twins.
Do whatever you need to do to use Dr Buyalos for your fertility treatment. When I was undergoing treatment with him, I lived two hours away and it was well worth all of the driving back and forth to have a doctor that I could trust to be honest and forthright.
Everyone at Fertility & Surgical Associates was very compassionate and kind. When I had my miscarriage, Dr Buyulos spent a lot of time answering all of my questions and reassuring me that I still had every reason to believe that I would get the outcome I was hoping for. Even after having my twins, I have still been able to call Dr Buyulos on several occasions to get follow up information.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
They are there seven days a week and all blood work and ultrasounds are done in house. All of the nursing staff I dealt with were RNs and had considerable knowledge and experience.
The cost was high because my insurance did not cover much of the treatment, but I don't think fees were higher than usual or customary. Dr Buyalos and his staff made every effort to help me find ways to minimize or defray costs, where possible. For example, they would let me know about any programs being offered by one of the drug manufacturers.
Santa Monica
Dr. Buyalos is the most wonderful caring man. He was the first fertility doctor to do an MRI on my pelvis finding a huge fibroid containing my entire uterine cavity. He said I had that fibroid for years and no other doctor would do an MRI.... The first protocol was that Buyalos said that my eggs are 10 years younger than me. But he wanted to an MRI on my pelvis and I had surgery by Buyalos on June 29th to remove a 3lb fibroid
Dr. Buyalos is. Known around the area to get women pregnant. The nurses are kind cute and they offer you Gatorade. Each nurse i had was gentle and treated me like a human. They got in quick and effortlessly.
Dr. Buyalos will figure the real reason your not getting pregnant the first time you see him. He made me get an MRI on my pelvis and low and behold no baby could grow in there. He’s very well known in our community for getting women pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Melinda)
They all have strengths. And they are all attractive too which doesn’t hurt. But they treat you like your their own family.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
There is absolutely no weakness in getting an appointment right away. This clinic is well known in the area for the best at getting women pregnant. They have a lab on site everything transfer is done on site.
I owe $575 right now and the first round of IVF is $9500
Prefer one embryo at a time
Thousand Oaks
I think he [Dr. Buyalos] is experienced and extremely professional...Dr. B is very polite and patient to me, and explained every concerns and questions I've raised in detail. He always make me feel relaxed...After consulting Dr. B, I felt Dr. B is very experienced and explained me the process that I would do even if I had former experience. He made every efforts to help me. I think he is experienced and extremely professional. I saw the difference of my experience! It is amazing. With Dr. B's treatment, I had 35 eggs and 7 normal embryos, including 4 A grade and 3 B grade embryo! I really appreciate Dr. B!...
According to my experience, I did my first cycle in other clinic and my result was very bad. I have PCOS. The first cycle that I did in other clinic resulted in 25 eggs and 4 embryos, but only 1 C-grade normal embryo. I don't want to use that embryo. Then I found FSAC through online searching. After consulting Dr. B, I felt Dr. B is very experienced and explained me the process that I would do even if I had former experience. He made every efforts to help me. I think he is experienced and extremely professional. I saw the difference of my experience! It is amazing. With Dr. B's treatment, I had 35 eggs and 7 normal embryos, including 4 A grade and 3 B grade embryo! I really appreciate Dr. B!
Trust him and take his advice.
I first use the birth control pills, and gonal-F,menupur omnitriop, cetrotide I rember. Then it is egg retrieval. I retrieved 35 eggs. and 7 embryo. Later I used birth control, estrace, doxy both my husband and me, endometrin for the embryo transfer. Dr. B advised to put just 1 embryo and I just pregnant!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
very nice and patient
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Strengths: professional Doctors Weakness: a little bit far away
more than 20K
2014 - 2017
Very kind and compassionate. I recommend him to anyone. Gave very thorough info. He explained our 'issues' in detail and didn't allow us to leave until we fully udnsersyood and had no more questions...I had 2 ivf cycles. First was a successf, 2nd was not. Clomid was on first and injections for estrogen and progesterone. 2nd was progesterone suppositories and oral meds for estrogen
Have questions ready
He cared deeply for helping us 'get a family'
Very helpful and kind. Always respectful of my time.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Very thorough and friendly, clean environment. They always remember me when I come in and I really like that. Not a fan of the lady that checks us out at the end. I don't know her name but she isn't friendly.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Appointments were usually on time. I had a few times they needed to reschedule but overall it was perfectly ok. My clinic was actually the Thousand Oaks office but it didn't give me that option.
I believe overall round 1 was about $20,000 and round 2 was about $7,000. Both round we paid cash as our insurance covers zero for ivf
He was fine with us transferring 2 each time
2013 - 2017
After our initial consultation I had restored confidence in the IVF process. I saw Dr B [Dr. Rick Buyalos] at every appointment, he performed every ultrasound and was extremely warm and compassionate every step of the way. He included my husband in on everything, remembered our names after our first visit, which really made me feel welcome. He's an amazing doctor and just really takes time to be there for each of his patients.
2013 - 2017
Dr B has been amazing throughout our IVF journey. I was unsuccessful 3 times with another doctor and wasn't feeling very confident when I walked into his office. After our initial consultation I had restored confidence in the IVF process. I saw Dr B at every appointment, he performed every ultrasound and was extremely warm and compassionate every step of the way. He included my husband in on everything, remembered our names after our first visit, which really made me feel welcome. He's an amazing doctor and just really takes time to be there for each of his patients.
If you aren't clear on something he said, speak up. He is more than happy to go over whatever it is you are not clear on.
Dr B would call me personally to talk to me about my cycle. After my first failed transfer with him he was so encouraging and positive. I've never had a doctor take as much time as he has on me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Teri)
Teri is no longer with this clinic but was an amazing support during our first 2 cycles at this office.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
The only problem I had was with staff returning my phone calls. If I didn't hear back I would call again. A little frustrating but I get it, this clinic is busy.
Dr B gave us the option to transfer 1 or 2 embryo's. He gave us the risks and benefits on all the possible outcomes.
2009 - 2016
Endometriosis, PCOS
He [Dr. Buyalos] was very understanding and worked hard on our behalf. He was careful to identify our individual and unique circumstances and address them. He always called himself if there was a concern rather than having a nurse call. He remembered details of my case two years later...We did PGD due to a genetic condition...Dr. Buyalos treated me like a human but other staff [at Fert & Surg Asso] sometimes made me feel more like a number.
2009 - 2016
Endometriosis, PCOS
He was very understanding and worked hard on our behalf. He was careful to identify our individual and unique circumstances and address them. He always called himself if there was a concern rather than having a nurse call. He remembered details of my case two years later.
Make sure to ask all of your questions as he will respond if he knows there are concerns.
Dr. Buyalos treated me like a human but other staff sometimes made me feel more like a number.
We did PGD due to a genetic condition and PGS our second cycle due to a miscarriage likely due to chromosomal abnormalities.
I worked with two different nursing teams. The first team in 2010 was more engaging, seemed more interested in my wellbeing and were more compassionate and interested in my care. At times it did feel like I was just a number both times but more so the second time around in 2016.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
The clinic is very busy but it is well organized and responsive to your needs. At times you need to be an advocate for yourself and request to see the doctor or speak to him.
It was around 15,000 with treatment PGD but that was several years ago.