Medical SchoolUSC
10 Post
Irvine, CA 92618
720 Lomita Blvd
Torrance, CA 90505
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Rifaat Salem to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Pacific Reproductive Center to a friend?
2013 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
He [Dr Rifaat Salem] went on to to many more egg retrievals and transfers as well as other procedures during the multiple cycles we did. He knew us personally and always made me feel at home at that office. I always trusted his expertise as well as his staff, he has a lot of experience and keeps the best staff on hand to treat his patients with him.... personally appreciated his cander with us on what we needed to do and how things were going. You can ask himanything and he will take the time to make sure you understand.
2013 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
I first net doctor Rifaat Salem for my first egg retrieval, he cane to see while I was getting prepped and introduced himself and explained the procedure. He went on to to many more egg retrievals and transfers as well as other procedures during the multiple cycles we did. He knew us personally and always made me feel at home at that office. I always trusted his expertise as well as his staff, he has a lot of experience and keeps the best staff on hand to treat his patients with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
He may seem matter of fact but I personally appreciated his cander with us on what we needed to do and how things were going. You can ask himanything and he will take the time to make sure you understand.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Dr. Rifaat Salem performed all of my procedures (hysteroscopy, egg retrievals, embryo transfers, polyp removal and endo scratch). Each and every time he saw me he knew who I was, spoke to me using my first name before each procedure he always came to say hi and check on me. He was always up front and honest with me about how things were going.
Describe the protocols Rifaat Salem used in your cycles at Pacific Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
All of my fresh cycles have been the Long Lupron Protocol with Follistim & Menopur and then trigger with Pregnyl (HCG). All of my fresh cycle we have done AH, ICSI and PGS testing with a fresh day 5 transfer of 2 embryos. My first IVF cycle worked and I got pregnant with my son in 2013, he was born 2014. In 2015 we did an FET with embryos from the 2013 cycle and had a CP. Prior to start of FET we did a hysteroscopy which showed uterus was clear from scarring and polyps. We then did a fresh cycle after which also resulted in a CP. We added Cabergoline this cycle to reduce risk of OHSS because I'm a high reposnder and e2 tends to get a bit high. For the next fresh cycle we did an RPL panel and checked NK cells, the results came back pretty normal except Vitamin D slightly low so I started a D3 supplement. We also repeated hysteroscopy and did endo scratch. Hysteroscopy revealed a polyp and scar tissue which was removed. During the stim cycle we added Heparin until 12 weeks gestation and intralipid infusions during stims, at embryo transfer and after positive pregnancy confirmed with 2 beta HCG blood tests. This cycle and these changes resulted in twin girls which are due October 2016.
The nursing staff here is absolutely amazing. During all my procedures they made me feel so comfortable, they explained everything they were doing and what would be done. They also took time to talk to me and get to know me personally. They shared good things they noticed during each of my cycles and they shared in my joy when the cycles worked and my pain when they didn't. They were always positive and optimistic.
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
The strengths of this clinic is everyone on staff is very compassionate, great at communicating and invested in the patients which is vital with this type of medical care. They have top of the line embryologist, nurses and doctors. They perform PGS in their lab so a fresh transfer is an option. They are also willing to listen to your input and take your thoughts on the cycle into consideration. Only weakness would be that they only have one facility that it equipped to do procedures so when you have them there is some traveling needed. I personally stayed at a hotel near that locations to take the stress out of travel with time specific procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center.
Our FET cost about $7000 including all medication. The fresh cycles ranged from $20,000-$25,000 which included all procedures, office visits, monitoring, medication, ICSI, AH & PGS testing.
2013 - 2015
He listened to my questions and explained things in a way I could understand.... He was compassionate and very confident. He was willing to talk when I had questions and he was very positive. He gave us another consultation after we had our first daughter and wanted to try again and really explained our chances with the remaining embryos we had.... For my fresh cycle with Dr. Salem I took metformin all throughout and I was on birth control for 19 days
How was your experience with Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
He was a great doctor and explained things really well. He was compassionate and very confident. He was willing to talk when I had questions and he was very positive. He gave us another consultation after we had our first daughter and wanted to try again and really explained our chances with the remaining embryos we had.
Come prepared with questions
He listened to my questions and explained things in a way I could understand.
For my fresh cycle with Dr. Salem I took metformin all throughout and I was on birth control for 19 days, 14 days in I started Lupron 10 U shots. I did the Lupron shots for 18 days. CD2 I started taking prenatal vitamins, started Follistim 150 shots, Menopur shots, medrol 16 mg/day, and a baby aspirin. I had about 30 eggs growing on each ovary so we scaled down the medications from about CD7...I can't remember exactly what they had me do, but I think I skipped a dose of Follistim. I took all of that for 7 days. On CD12 I had an HCG trigger shot. I had my egg retrieval CD 13. That day I started progesterone injections 1 mL/day, doxycycline (just for 5 days), and delestrogen (0.3 mL twice a week). I continued the prenatal, baby aspirin, and medrol. On CD18 I had my embryo transfer. As far as blood work and ultrasounds: I had blood work and ultrasounds done CD1, CD7, CD9, and CD11. We transferred 2 embryos to increase our chances of at least one implanting. Then I was on bed rest for 3 days. Ten days after the transfer I had a blood test to see if I was pregnant, then two days later I had another test. And i was! Then when I was 7 weeks along I had an ultrasound to make sure there was a heartbeat and then had an ultrasound again at 9 weeks and then I was released to my regular OB. For the Frozen embryo transfer we did about 2 years later I was on metformin all throughout and BC for 16 days. 10 days in I started Lupron 15U shots. I took 15U for 11 days and then we took it down to 10U. On CD2 I started prenatal vitamins daily, baby aspirin daily, and delestrogen .5 mL injections twice a week until CD13. On CD14 I started medrol 16 mg/day and progesterone .50mg shot. Throughout that time I had blood work and ultrasounds on CD1 and CD11. And just blood work on CD8. The embryo transfer was CD19. We transferred 2 embryos again. After the transfer I stopped the Lupron, but started the progesterone vaginal capsules daily, and continued the rest of my medication (progesterone injections, prenatals, baby aspirin, medrol, and delestrogen). Seven days later I had my first blood draw to check to see if I was pregnant and to 2 days later had another. That one ended up being a chemical pregnancy.
Our first cycle with PRC was fantastic. The nurses were so helpful and available. However, for the FET I got very frustrated, they took a long time to get back to me when I called. All of that I could have overlooked, but when I was waiting for my results I had a horrible experience! So they told me that I was pregnant because my blood work showed that I was pregnant, but then it didn't double like it should have, so they had me get my blood drawn again the next day. However, they kept having some difficulties getting my results and wouldn't call me back. I had to call 14 times to finally find out that I was no longer pregnant and actually just had a chemical pregnancy. It was emotional and very frustrating.
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
The clinics strengths are that the doctor is wonderful want the surgery staff is fantastic! Weaknesses would be that sometimes getting information from the nurses is very frustrating. When I was trying to get the result as to whether or not I was pregnant both the nurses and the receptionist claimed they couldn't check the fax machine (that's where the results would be)... Apparently it was some unknown person that checked it and emailed it to them... Finally they must have figured out who checked it or how to do so because I finally got the results to my FET...BFN. However, during my fresh cycle everyone was wonderful... So maybe it was a fluke the second time ...
It was about $10000 plus medications which were about $3000
What specific things went wrong at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Glendale
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr Salem never had a good bedside manner but that didn't matter to me. He got the job done for my cycle in 2013 but when I returned in 2016 for a failed FET and later a miserable fresh cycle, he was completely uninterested...Then because I had so few follicles growing and they were small, he had he continue to stim for too long, likely compromising egg and embryo quality. I was devastated at the results of that egg retrieval and fresh transfer and immediately sought a new doctor.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Dr Salem never had a good bedside manner but that didn't matter to me. He got the job done for my cycle in 2013 but when I returned in 2016 for a failed FET and later a miserable fresh cycle, he was completely uninterested. He was working on opening a clinic in Dubai and not paying any attention to his work. I didn't lose confidence in him after my failed FET because things happen and no fertility treatment guarantees success so I agreed to do another fresh cycle. That cycle was a nightmare, he barley glance at my ovaries during ultrasounds while I was on stims, only measured ONE follicle so he never increased my dosage when I wasn't responding well. Then because I had so few follicles growing and they were small, he had he continue to stim for too long, likely compromising egg and embryo quality. I was devastated at the results of that egg retrieval and fresh transfer and immediately sought a new doctor.
Choose another doctor. Dr Salem doesn't care about his patients.
Dr Salem never remember what was going on in my cycles when he was examining me or asking me questions. He didn't bother to glance at my chart to find out which cycle day I was on and he would ask the same questions at every visit, not remembering me from even 2-4 days prior.
Dr Salem prescribed menopur and follistim. He did not properly monitor my follicle growth for my fresh cycle in 2015 like he did in 2013. I needed severa dosage adjustments the first time around. The second time he never bothered to measure my follicle sizes and never increased my dosage throughout the cycle.
The nursing staff at the Irvine office were far more genuine and caring than those at the Torrance location. I wish they could have handled the procedures instead of just monitoring.
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
This clinic is owned and operated by Rifaat Salem and I strongly recommend against anyone using their services.
My first cycle was a two cycle package (only used one to get pregnant) was $15,000 without medication. I qualified for a reduced rate for a second single cycle later and it was $8500 without medications.
What specific things went wrong at Pacific Reproductive Center?
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS
He [Dr. Rifaat Salem] was kind and compassionate. He went into great detail on a plan he thought would work. We chose to continue with a FET due to finances but he suggested a fresh would be better for our situation...He spent a good amount of time looking at our chart to try to figure the best next thing. I felt like he cared and wanted to succeed. He wasn’t always available because his main office was at the Torrance location.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Rifaat Salem at Pacific Reproductive Center?
If you start at the Corona office keep in mind to do almost all the procedures you have to travel to Torrence. This was not told to us at first so it was a bit of a surprise.
He was kind and compassionate. He went into great detail on a plan he thought would work. We chose to continue with a FET due to finances but he suggested a fresh would be better for our situation.
This was a FET. Lupron was used.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Don’t remember )
The main nurse was very kind. She was very knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Pacific Reproductive Center.
Clinic was in a good location. And I a nice building. There isn’t always someone manning the front desk so i has to wait around a few times. There is a separate room for blood draw. And another room for ultra sounds. The nurse had her own office.
$5000
Describe Rifaat Salem's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Reproductive Center.
He was comfortable doing 3.
Corona