Medical SchoolU. of Tennessee
300 State St. Suite 103A
Erie, PA 16507
875 N. Hermitage Rd. Suite 3
Hermitage, PA 16148
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Robert Collins to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UPMC Magee to a friend?
He [Dr. Collins] was able to explain items in common terms, however did not appear to always state all the steps to the process. Twice he approved for nurses to order drugs for the next step prior to testing being complete, this resulted in me paying over 1,000 in drugs that I can't use...He discontinued my metformin after having a blood sugar test, and stated I did not need it. He uses letrazole for ovulation for PCOS, as he stated that Clomid does not work well with PCOS.
How was your experience with Robert Collins at UPMC Magee?
He was able to explain items in common terms, however did not appear to always state all the steps to the process. Twice he approved for nurses to order drugs for the next step prior to testing being complete, this resulted in me paying over 1,000 in drugs that I can't use.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Collins at UPMC Magee?
Make sure you know your nurses name. They are the most important.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Collins at UPMC Magee?
The nursing staff was thorough whenever the face to face visits were being completed. However, we had decided not to do IVF at the time in November. My husband was awaiting a semen analysis after having his Hep C cured. We received the results via online portal. The Doctor's office never called. I called them to ask if it would be possible to do another IUI. I feel that they should have been checking the results and calling with further information. Also, I was told in Jan 2017 that IVF would be covered with my insurance. I didn't change insurance or jobs, and then in Nov 2017, the office rep in charge of insurance stated that it was not covered.
Describe the protocols Robert Collins used in your cycles at UPMC Magee and their degree of success.
He discontinued my metformin after having a blood sugar test, and stated I did not need it. He uses letrazole for ovulation for PCOS, as he stated that Clomid does not work well with PCOS. They have changed to a different drug for IVF, so they can control when you have your period, as they only have embryologists on certain weeks in Pittsburgh/Magee now. They used to use Ganirelex. He uses pregnyl, follistim, progesterone oil/injections for IVF.
Since I was there over many months/years I had multiple different nurses. The first one I had was the best, but she was not there when I went back in November. They always call back same day or next morning with any questions comments or concerns. They are the best part of the office.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
The nurses are wonderful, the office is always busy and has difficult hours for anyone that works full time. If doing IVF you will have to go to Pittsburgh for it. The nurses answer all questions the day or day after you call and leave a message. They have a rep that works on the insurance aspect, but you can't always trust their answers.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Collins at UPMC Magee.
My IUI was covered with insurance. IVF would cost 12,000 for a single cycle with ICSI.
Describe Robert Collins's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UPMC Magee.
He prefers single embryo transfer for decreased risk of miscarriage.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Collins was able to pin point what went wrong with my previous doctor. My previous doctor had not mentioned that I could have PCOS and based on my egg retrieval numbers (done with previous dr) he said there was no way I don't have it and was able to adjust the plan he originally thought we'd do to compensate for that. He's a very smart guy and maybe not the most personable (kind of quiet) but I don't care as long as you get the job done
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Robert Collins at UPMC Magee?
Make sure you ask him anything you're thinking. He might not always answer your concerns outright, but if you ask him about it he definitely already has considered it (at least in his head) and can give you a good answer/plan.
Dr. Collins sat down with us for as long as we wanted each time. He was genuinely (or at least seemed genuinely) happy when I got pregnant and made sure we knew each and every step. I was pretty distressed coming into his clinic fresh off a miscarriage from my old doctor and he made sure to tell me what he thought my old doctor had missed and he was right because I was able to get pregnant
I did a FET. He kept me on birth control for 2 months then we moved to gentle stimulation with estradiol. He used PIO for my progesterone as he didn't want to risk it with crinone or endometrin (not being as effective).
The nurses in the office were sweet and attentive and I always felt like they were just waiting for me to get there to help me out (I understand that's not the case but I was the first appointment of the day, usually, so it always felt like the whole thing was for me). They answered all my questions, let me cry when I needed to cry, and celebrated when we needed to celebrate
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
The nursing staff is great. Dr. Collins is a really intelligent guy who definitely knows what he's doing. My notes of caution would be that you do need to be prepared to ask anything if you're not sure and that because they work with the MaGee clinic in Pittsburgh, the hours can be kind of crappy, especially around the holidays. I was bumped back a whole month because they basically only work the first half of December (obviously not dr collins fault but it definitely sucked)
The transfer itself was ~$4000. Ultrasounds & Appointments came in around $1000. Medication was ~$6000
My last cycle before Dr Collins was a fresh, single embryo. I (probably/definitely) had OHSS but my previous dr had implanted anyway (at my request since it was my last day living in that state/being on that insurance). I miscarried. Dr. Collins allowed me to do 2 embryos and we were able to get one live birth
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
He [Dr. Robert Collins] often would refer me to his nurse to answer my questions...He would never remember our names, what cycle we were on, or any of my medical history...never spent more than 5-10 minutes with us...I was never really given a reason why we chose the proceures we did. I just knew we would try three cycles of iui with meds and monitoring and after that move on to IVF.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Robert Collins at UPMC Magee?
My 2 friends recommended him and had success with him so I had high hopes. They said he had poor bedside manner but they were pregnant. I felt like just a number and not human. I felt confused and like my questions were not answered. He often would refer me to his nurse to answer my questions and they gave sketchy responses. I feel like he is a very inelegant man and knows what he is doing but needs to tell his patience what that is. I was very confused most of my appointments and often expressed my anxiety and was teary eyed. Never once did he suggest therapy or resources to help me cope. I felt like he was rushing through treatment and I was excited to start but also felt overwhelmed and did not fully understand the process.
If you are an easy fix, you will like him but if you are unexplained and would like to know details of your cycle he is not the doctor for you. He lacks compassion. I remember him saying "sperm count is very low under 2,000 oh well lets hope this works." In my fertility support group, I have heard similar stories
He would never remember our names, what cycle we were on, or any of my medical history. He would often ask, now what cycle is this? never spent more than 5-10 minutes with us
I was never really given a reason why we chose the proceures we did. I just knew we would try three cycles of iui with meds and monitoring and after that move on to IVF. I remember crying and feeling hopeless after the first cycle. I had no idea that fertility drugs were such an emotional roller coaster.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UPMC Magee. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
she was good about emailing me back promptly and was friendly.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
strengths: small, easy to get in weakness: unprofessional receptionist, very long wait even when we were the first appointment of the day, billing issues, unorganized
it was very high, double what I am paying now. We constantly told him we were paying entirely out of pocket and feared we couldn't afford to continue. He offered no ways to help and money was upfront
We did not get this far. I left for another doctor
2014 - 2018
He was always professional and optimistic. The first RE I ever saw at 27 years old mentioned IVF at the very first visit, before running any diagnostic tests. I had met with Dr Collins several times before he even mentioned IVF. I feel as he is determined to figure out what is wrong with me before jumping to conclusions.... I don't ovulate regularly, and Clomid doesn't work for me. So we started with 3 cycles of Letrazol and Pregnyl, followed by timed intercourse. After that, 2 cycles of IUI with the same drugs. After taking an extended break, we are trying another ~2 cycles of IUI before moving on to IVF.
2014 - 2018
How was your experience with Robert Collins at UPMC Magee?
Be prepared and ask questions. He is fairly quiet and doesn't necessarily provide all the information upfront, so ask questions if you need clarification.
Everyone in the clinic has been very nice to me and communicated at all steps of the way.
Always friendly and professional. Prompt in returning phone calls. Gave me a snack when I forgot to eat breakfast before a blood draw. The only nurses that can draw blood without making it sting.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
By being part of UPMC, I can get access to quality care and advanced technology in a small town. The clinic is comfortable and easy to find. I'm always treated well at this office. I appreciate being able to get appointments first thing in the morning- often before 8am.
My insurance didn't cover any procedures, so I was given a "cash discount." IUI cycles were approx. $1000 each, not including drugs.
Endometriosis, PCOS
We completely trust and respect Dr. Collins. We have had some unexpected events happen to us which was out of Dr. Collins hands. We have met with him multiple times to discuss the next steps. At our egg retrieval we found out our 2 vials of donor sperm from Fairfax cryobank had no motility and severe abnormalities. The transfer was cancelled and I am back on birth control starting lupron injections this week. Dr. Collins has walked us though every step.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Everyone is different.
IUI - day 1 period baseline ultrasound and labs. Day 3-7 oral letrozal. Day 11-15 ultrasound/labs. Trigger shot 36 hours prior to IUI IVF - birth control. Baseline ultrasound/labs with period. Day 3 begin stims. Ultrasound day 5 of stims and every few days until ready for retrieval. Menopur mornings. Follistim evenings. Trigger shot 36 hours prior to retrieval
Describe your experience with your nurse at UPMC Magee.
We love all of the nurses in the office. They answer all my questions every time. (Which is ALOT of questions- phone calls, emails)
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
Everyone in the office has your best interest in mind. Even though you might not get the results you want as fast as you would like, everyone is rooting for you. Do your research as far as grants, financial assistance. The office will give you information about all your options.
$27,000 all costs including donor sperm. 4 IUIs. IVF and all meds. Surgery laparoscopy/hystoscopy covered by insurance.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Colin’s is very knowledgeable and made sure to explain everything. He would ask what we thought about the next options. He is very invested in helping us start a family. When I needed to have surgery and possibly have my tubes removed he listened to my concerns about having them removed and since leaving them in wouldn’t cause any problems he left them in for me.... After we found out my tubes were blocked he directed us towards ivf and explained everything in amazing detail.
European, Black or African-American, Native American
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Robert Collins at UPMC Magee?
He is amazing listen to his advice.
The dr and staff was wonderful. They always remembered my name my husbands name the issues we were having. They would call to check up and see how the medications were going and after surgery when we got bad news sent a very sweet card.
They are wonderful and very caring they take time to answer my many questions and never make me feel like a bother.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
The clinic is beautiful well layed out and very welcoming. The waiting rooms are comfortable and clean. The check in process is the easiest I’ve ever had. It’s kind of far from our house and they always take that into consideration when setting appts.
The cost is expensive only because insurance doesn’t cover treatments
He was open to inplanting two embryos bc of our age and eagerness to start our family.