Midwest Fertility Specialists

Nurse available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolIndiana U.
317-571-1637
2514 E. Dupont Rd.
Fort Wayne, IN 46825
260-490-3456
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Robert Colver to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Midwest Fertility Specialists to a friend?
2013 - 2018
Dr Colver was really invested in helping my husband and myself achieve a pregnancy. We conceived our daughter on our first IUI. We've been trying to conceive a second child and done three IUIs with no successful pregnancy yet. Dr Colver was happy to send us on to another clinic that had a lower cost IVF. Even though he would no longer be following our care, he wanted us to get pregnant regardless of it was under his care or not.
2013 - 2018
How was your experience with Robert Colver at Midwest Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Colver has a wonderful bedside manner. I will say I felt like I really had to stay on top of my treatment details, but I think a large culprit of that was that I was treated at my local obgyn office for ultrasounds as well so information was filtered to his office. Dr Colver's biggest goal was to get me pregnant whether that was with his practice or somewhere else. That says a lot about a doctor and his goals for his patients vs. just treating everyone as a number.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Colver at Midwest Fertility Specialists?
Be on top of your treatment details. Keep a datebook of protocol/treatment. Ask questions if you don't understand something.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Colver at Midwest Fertility Specialists?
Describe the protocols Robert Colver used in your cycles at Midwest Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
Dr. Colver used a combination cycle of 7.5 mg femara and 112.5-187.5 Gonal F for 4-7 days for my IUI cycles. This protocol worked for our doctor so we continued it trying for our second child. His rationale was it worked previously and I was consistently producing 1-3 mature follicles so we continued. The first two IUIs I had a chemical pregnancy. The third IUI cycle I actually started ovulating on my own so we had to do an emergency IUI 1-2 days earlier than expected. I truly believe I would have gotten pregnant had a been given medicine to prevent early ovulation. It may have also allowed me to produce more eggs. Because of my PCOS diagnosis, I may have several eggs that aren't truly healthy so producing a few more eggs wasn't off a big concern to me as I've always product several and only had a Singleton tegnwncy carry to term.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Sherri Papps)
The nurses truly cared for their patients in my experience. I will say sometimes it took quite a while to get an answer back if you left a message. But when you called they always followed up and f they didn't know the answer they asked the doctor. Sherri really cared about the success of her patient's cycles.
Describe your experience with Midwest Fertility Specialists.
This clinic cared about its patients achieving pregnancy. They treated you as more than a number. A weakness was due to the sheer volume of patients they treated they would sometimes have to be reminded about the details of your cycle. I also felt like sometimes they hesitated to try a different protocol. Typically the only changes in my cycles would be increased doses of medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Colver at Midwest Fertility Specialists.
I believe bloodwork to test my estrodial number was approximately $200 and my IUI procedure was $500.
Describe Robert Colver's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Midwest Fertility Specialists.
Not applicable as I had IUI cycles
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Robert Colver at Midwest Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Colver reviewed my file and identified some oddities in my test results that both of my previous RE's missed. After 18 months of treatment, including 6 months of clomid and 2 miscarriages, I became pregnant on my first cycle with him with a single healthy baby. I am still shocked at how quickly things worked out once I switched doctors. I wish I would have come to Dr. Colver from the beginning. I like that Dr. Colver is a stats guy, he gives the "odds" that various treatment tactics will work and the odds of miscarrying at certain times. This really helped me process and understand the nature of my treatment. He is very compassionate and an overall nice guy.
Go see him. If you are at all unhappy with your current doctor, go see him right now! I wasted 18 months and had 2 miscarriages before I switched and I am so glad we finally made the leap.
Dr. Colver is very compassionate and caring. He PERSONALLY called me with the results of my HCG blood draw.
Dr. Colver noticed that my LH and FSH numbers were not what you'd expect for someone with diminished ovarian reserve. Since I had done 6 unsuccessful cycles of clomid and had 2 miscarriages, he suspected there might be an egg quality issue. He recommended trying a menopur protocol with a Ovidrel trigger to force ovulation since I have a short luteal phase. He was very conservative with my menopur dosage since we did not want to overstim. We then did an IUI since menopur is a relatively expensive drug and we wanted to make sure that we had the timing exactly right. I am now pregnant with a single baby.
I really appreciate how quick they called with test results. They always took time to discuss the results and answer any questions I had. Some of the nurses have even been through infertility themselves, which is great because they understand how the patients feel.
Describe your experience with Midwest Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is very private and not located in the same building as a regular OB, so you do not have to worry about seeing pregnant women. The decor is very neutral, I like how they do not have photos of babies and silly saying about "achieving dreams" anywhere. They are quick with test results and the staff is absolutely great.
My insurance does not cover any infertility treatment. My Menopur was around $800 out of pocket. They charge around $2500 for an out of pocket IUI cycle, which includes all monitoring, ultrasounds and of course, the actual IUI. Once I had a positive pregnancy test, insurance kicked in and I was covered.
How was your experience with Robert Colver at Midwest Fertility Specialists?
We met with Dr Colver because we are experiencing secondary infertility, and had sought fertility treatment via my OB in our former state. We told him what our issues were, showed him test results and explained former procedures, and asked him what his thoughts were. He took the whole picture of our situation into account when he made his recommendation as to how he would proceed, and it didn’t feel like a sales pitch, it felt like he wanted us to get pregnant in a way that we felt comfortable with and that we would also be successful with. He was willing to use logic and reasoning based on former test results and pregnancies to determine what, if any further testing was needed. When I went in for a baseline scan, the tech noticed that my c section scar was thin. Dr Colver personally came into the consult room to explain things to me, because I was freaking out, and reassured me that everything looked fine to proceed with injections and IUI.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions about what you want.
When we met with Dr Colver, we felt that he really listened to us and what we wanted out of a cycle, what our goals were, and tried to understand our reasoning. Never once were we pushed into a treatment suggestion that we were uncomfortable with. He answered all of our questions, never made us feel dumb or self conscious about the questions, and we left feeling like we had a clear treatment plan that we could feel confident about.
We are currently doing a femara/injection/IUI cycle. Dr Colver stayed that since I have been pregnant twice before, but struggle to ovulate on my own, that this was an appropriate treatment protocol vs going straight for IVF. He stated that since our only issue is PCOS, he feels confident that this method will be successful for us. Since this is our first round with his clinic, I understood that this cycle could be more diagnostic in nature. He started me out with 2.5 mg of letrozole, added on 50iu Follistim, and bumped that up to 100iu to get a good response. I have ovidrel as a trigger when my follicles and estrogen reach the appropriate level.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Sherry)
Sherry is a very thorough nurse. During injection training she made sure I understood what I was doing as it was my first time. She worked with me on the price of medications and found a pharmacy that cost more than $1000 less than what my insurance wanted. She calls when she says she will, she answers all of my questions and deals with anxiety-fueled over chattiness with ease. She always hugs me at the end of our appointments, and makes me feel really positive about the potential outcome.
Describe your experience with Midwest Fertility Specialists.
It seems to be feast or famine at this office...it’s either really busy and you have to wait 15-20 mins past your scheduled time, or you are the only person in the waiting room and get in early. The u/s techs and phlebotomist are great, very gentle and understanding.
I’m not completely done with my cycle yet, but far my costs have been $32 consult $114 per ultrasound $700 medications
None
Carmel
Truly, we had a great experience with Dr. Colver, but with him covering several offices, he wasn't always there to meet with after ultrasounds, blood work etc....I feel he gave us ample time when he was in the office. He was very detailed...Although, at times we didn't meet directly with Dr. Colver we always heard from the nurse after she would talk with Dr. Colver. Although, at times we didn't meet directly with Dr. Colver we always heard from the nurse after she would talk with Dr. Colver.
How was your experience with Robert Colver at Midwest Fertility Specialists?
Truly, we had a great experience with Dr. Colver, but with him covering several offices, he wasn't always there to meet with after ultrasounds, blood work etc. I feel he gave us ample time when he was in the office. He was very detailed but I am a researcher and always came with questions, comments etc.
Asks questions -- Be flexible -- Don't be afraid to call with questions.
Although, at times we didn't meet directly with Dr. Colver we always heard from the nurse after she would talk with Dr. Colver. They would call back with-in the day with answers to any questions we had.
Cycle One (which ended up being canceled due to low response) we started out with Menopur, Follistim, Ganarelix but I wasn't responding despite increasing dosage of Menopur and Follistim so Dr. Colver canceled it. Cycle Two -- we began with Lupron and then added in Follistim and Menopur. We triggered the day before transfer with pregnyl. I ended up needing a suppository as well. I responded much better - although I had 11 follicles, they were only able to reach 8 of them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Sherry )
I only had one bad experience with phlebotomist but it was more related to not being able to get a vein due to dehydration and being poked repeatedly. But overall, no complaints. Very friendly, showed compassion. The day of retrieval and transfer I had the best experience. The nurse that works in the ART lab was absolutely phenomenal - my husband and I felt like royalty.
Describe your experience with Midwest Fertility Specialists.
I feel the first appointment is very overwhelming - I just wish they would go into more detail about payment options etc. Once you commit, we didn't realize everything was due in full. We were not prepared for that. Strengths: Friendly, Welcoming, Good Communicators. Weaknesses: Busy Office, At Times Long Waits, You Don't Always Get To See Your MD
The pharmacy costs are high and when medication changes there wasn't a refund - total medication costs: $7,000. IVF - 12,000-13,000 with $3500 for frozen transfer. PGS costs were around 700...
Dr. Colver would only transfer one embryo due to an existing heart condition. But I only had one viable embryo after PGS.
Carmel
Dr. Colver is kind, however I believe that he made a mistake in not diagnosing my endometriosis before proceeding with treatment...Apparently getting a pos OPK on CD10 means you produced too many follicles... Okay... No call from the doctor himself, just a brusque call from the nurse on a Friday afternoon telling me I should have called earlier in the morning and my cycle was cancelled. I did one IUI and that failed. I moved on from this clinic because I decided that I wanted more consultation and I didn't have the money to continue treatment.
How was your experience with Robert Colver at Midwest Fertility Specialists?
Dr.Colver is kind, however I believe that he made a mistake in not diagnosing my endometriosis before proceeding with treatment. Since seeing Dr.Colver in early 2015, I was diagnosed (by an OB) and treated for moderate/severe endometriosis. I was recommended to do IUI right off the bat by Dr.Colver. My first cycle with letrozole was cancelled without being seen by the doctor or having a scan to check my follicles. Apparently getting a pos OPK on CD10 means you produced too many follicles... Okay... No call from the doctor himself, just a brusque call from the nurse on a Friday afternoon telling me I should have called earlier in the morning and my cycle was cancelled. I did one IUI and that failed. I moved on from this clinic because I decided that I wanted more consultation and I didn't have the money to continue treatment.
Do your homework. Be informed and ask questions. Unexplained infertility is rarely ever that.
I only spoke with Dr.Colver once in consultation. He looked at my past history and basically automatically concluded that I should be pregnant by now because there was no reason I shouldn't be pregnant. I know now (after seeing a different doctor and getting laparoscopy) that I was presenting with Endometriosis which is my chief reason for infertility. Dr. Colver explained IUI was my best bet at that point, of course that cycle failed. He was very kind, but I did feel somewhat like a number because it was like " just do this expensive procedure up to 5 times and you'll get pregnant, there's nothing wrong with you."
IUI with letrozole- rationale : unexplained infertility - result: failed cycle
Most of the nursing staff was kind, but I had one issue with a nurse on a Friday late morning when I called in to tell her I had a early positive OPK. When she spoke with Dr. Colver and called me back, she said they were cancelling the IUI and that it was too early for me to get a positive and probably had too many follicles. When I asked if I could still come in for a scan just to see, she said no, you should have called earlier in the morning and we go home early on Friday's. Well, that's not very compassionate to an infertile woman who desperately wants a baby, is it? So my cycle was cancelled without so much as a scan or call from my doctor. I felt like a number, not a person.
Describe your experience with Midwest Fertility Specialists.
Overall, I didn't have a great experience. I felt like a number and I didn't think I was evaluated fully or accurately. Most of the staff are kind and compassionate, with the exception of one nurse who conveyed her inconvenience on a Friday afternoon when she wanted to go home. I would say that you should be very informed if you visit this office and be prepared to advocate for yourself more than you would like. Unfortunately in Fort Wayne, this is the only RE office so there are limited options.
$800 for IUI
2012
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
He [Dr. Robert Colver] called me numerous times himself to personally check up on me, to give me results, and explain things. He did not run my body like a machine, instead he learned how my body individually worked and based my treatment off of what was best for me...He met with us individually, wrote many hand written notes to us, and made numerous personal phone calls to us. He is one of the most compassionate, well rounded, selfless doctors I have encountered.
2012
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Robert Colver at Midwest Fertility Specialists?
I described most in one of the first questions. He lead his treatment and whole practice with compassion. He cared first about the well-being of the patient. He communicated well. He gave wonderful wisdom with room to ask questions. He met with us individually, wrote many hand written notes to us, and made numerous personal phone calls to us. He is one of the most compassionate, well rounded, selfless doctors I have encountered.
Be willing to ask questions and learn from Dr. Colver. If you have any set backs or concerns be sure to work through them with him. He is wonderful.
Dr. Colver cared about the well- being of the patient first. He listened with compassion and care to our needs, desires, questions, and concerns. He called me numerous times himself to personally check up on me, to give me results, and explain things. He did not run my body like a machine, instead he learned how my body individually worked and based my treatment off of what was best for me not to reach selfish numbers or percentiles for himself. He had a pure motive to serve, lead, and give wisdom to us as patients and people! I would refer him over and over again with outstanding reviews!
We knew from my first cycle with another doctor that I was at high risk of OHSS. Looking into and studying my past history he made good discernment to give me a significantly lower dose of meds and watched me carefully to do his best to prevent chances of OHSS occuring again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Sherri)
She was prompt to call back. She always made herself available. She went out of her way to accommodate our needs.
Describe your experience with Midwest Fertility Specialists.
They can be hard to get in because they are busy as I remember. Other than that they worked with us, showed compassion, were successful, efficient, clean, and most of all patient focused!
They were expensive but normal comparatively.
He wanted to make sure that we were okay with putting two embryos in and understanding the risks. He gave us all the info and allowed us to make the decision with His wisdom if we wanted it along the way.
What specific things went wrong at Midwest Fertility Specialists?
Other, Unexplained
Dr. Colver explained everything to me and my husband fully. He answered all questions and took as much time as needed. We never have felt rushed. When we had setbacks, he personally called to answer all our questions....Dr. Colver personally called me to further explain any test results after I spoke to the nurse. He and his nurse always knew my name and my history.... Dr. Colver started me on injections with a trigger shot and IUI.
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Robert Colver at Midwest Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Colver personally called me to further explain any test results after I spoke to the nurse. He and his nurse always knew my name and my history. Even if I had to see another doctor's nurse, she always had all the information on my past history from my chart, so I didn't have to go through explaining everything again.
Before seeing Dr. Colver, I had gone through several cycles of Femara without success. Dr. Colver started me on injections with a trigger shot and IUI. My first cycle I overstimulated so we could not proceed with IUI. I then had cysts left over, so we had to skip a cycle. The next cycle my injections were adjusted and we were able to complete IUI, but did not receive a positive pregnancy test. I had a cyst left after that cycle, so I'm currently skipping a month before hopefully trying another cycle of IUI with injections.
Dr. Colver's nurse is always compassionate and remembers my history. When I see other nurses, they too have a full understanding of my history. The phlebotomist at Midwest Fertility is amazing. She is there 7 days a week and helps in the front office as well!
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Clover is very friendly and sympathetic. He listens to your concerns and questions and doesn't rush you... optimistic, but sometimes a little too optimistic. He takes his time and really cares about you. As a Dr. I was very confident in his abilities. Like most doctors he doesn't explain things in detail unless you ask.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Robert Colver at Midwest Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Colver is very friendly and optimistic, but sometimes a little too optimistic. He takes his time and really cares about you. As a Dr. I was very confident in his abilities. Like most doctors he doesn't explain things in detail unless you ask.
Be open about your questions and concerns.
The nurses were wonderful! They always returned calls quickly and didn't make me feel silly for asking a million questions. All the nursing staff are caring and helpful.
Describe your experience with Midwest Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is nice and comfortable. If you go to the clinic in Fort Wayne for your treatment you will still have to make trips to Indianapolis for egg retrieval and transfer. The clinic in Fort Wayne is located in the same building as a pediatrician and it can be emotional seeing little ones when you are going through fertility treatments or a miscarriage.
4 rounds of IUI -Insemination, donor sperm,medication over $10,000 with no insurance coverage. 1 IVF- medication, monitoring,icsi, retrieval, and transfer- $11500 For IVF and icsi plus medications. I had insurance that covered almost everything so my total cost was about $2000. Plus the cost for my husband to have sperm retrieved through PESA
Dr. Colver approached is based on the individual patient. I had three embryos transferred, with his recommendation. Normally he recommends only one or two, but he felt it was the right move in my case. I delivered a healthy singleton.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Dr. Colver took time to explain everything in detail to us and answer all questions we had. We never felt rushed or like just a number or paycheck. He even called us back directly if we had additional questions that needed to be answered...The fact that our donor male had a disease show up on his labs was not released to us until transfer time and we found out from our surrogate. I had to call the office to request more info...Dr. Colver was always upfront with us and took time for us
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Robert Colver at Midwest Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Colver was always upfront with us and took time for us unlike other drs we have used in the past.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Midwest Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl)
Sometimes I felt a little left out because of the fact that we were using a gestational surrogate. I felt that at times the nurses or coordinator could have contacted with me first and better than she did.
The costs associated with our donor embryos and transfer were inexpensive in comparison to previous clinics. We felt they were priced right. I wish they had offered discount on multiple transfer though.
We always transferred multiple untested embryos because of multiple failed cycles at previous clinics.
What specific things went wrong at Midwest Fertility Specialists?
2012 - 2016
5 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
He is kind. He's honest about treatment, but always takes the time to schedule an appointment or call/talk to you on the phone if you need to speak with him. He shows a great deal of empathy....I think he's the best (and is clinic) is the best in the state. I've recommended him on a number of occasions to other friends and colleagues and have nothing but good things to say about him.
2012 - 2016
5 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
The entire staff at the office is wonderful - caring, compassionate and takes the time to answer any and all questions and listen to your concerns.
We did the Attain program, so I think it was 26k for a set number of cycles plus meds which were about 2000
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
When I first went to see Dr. Colver, he thought that he was going to be able to use artificial insemination without any issues. Then when my tests results came back, he diagnosed me with depleted ovarian reserve. He was very kind and understanding and worked very hard to come up with an alternative plan for me.... The nurses are all very friendly and easy to talk to. They are always willing to answer any questions and take their time with you.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Robert Colver at Midwest Fertility Specialists?
Ask questions! He is very knowledgeable and happy to answer any questions.
Dr. Robert Colver is very patient and kind. He truly cares about all of his patients and wants the best results for them. My baby girl is truly a miracle thanks to him.
I am not sure.
I don't remember all the details.
Dr. Colver preferred to transfer two embryos at a time for better results (higher success rate).