Vios Fertility Institute

Not available by direct line
Available by cell phone
Doctor personal cell phone
Medical School Ross U
ResidencyWayne State U
FellowshipWayne State U
1455 N Milwaukee Avenue
Chicago, IL 60622
773-435-9036
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Roohi Jeelani to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 66%Neutral: 34%9
9.7

6.9

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Vios Fertility Institute to a friend?
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Roohi Jeelani at Vios Fertility Institute?
Strengths: --Clear Communicator: As I've outlined before, I thought that Dr. Jeelani did an excellent job of helping me to understand the results of my baseline fertility tests, the processes of both the IUI, and IVF processes, and the decisions to be made around my miscarriage. Just in terms of being able to communicate complicated medical information to a layperson, I think Dr. Jeelani is exceptionally skilled. --Excellent Bedside Manner: Warm, compassionate, and appropriately optimistic and humorous. In every interaction I've had with her. --Very Transparent About Treatment Decisions and Willing to Pivot: Weaknesses: There are many decisions I've had to make in this process (i.e. moving from IUI to IVF, PGS or no PGS, D&C vs Misoprostel, Single vs. Double Embryo Transfer, etc). For each decision, Dr. Jeelani patiently explained all the details and was willing to follow my lead when I had intuition to lean one way vs the other (i.e. number of embryos to transfer, Lupron or none for FET). I always felt like Dr. Jeelani was willing to pursue the treatment course that medically made sense AND was the right course for me specifically. Weaknesses: --NONE: To the extent that one could be said to enjoy a process as expensive and emotionally arduous as fertility treatment, I have enjoyed being Dr. Jeelani's patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Roohi Jeelani at Vios Fertility Institute?
Don't be afraid to ask questions or indicate your preferences. Dr. Jeelani will listen and give you candid, clear information.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Roohi Jeelani at Vios Fertility Institute?
Dr. Jeelani was always well-updated on my case notes and there was a lot of continuity to our conversations even when they were 3 or weeks between the conversations. I didn't find myself having to repeat any details about my feelings or goals about the treatments. Dr. Jeelani also has a communication style that expertly blends combines personal warmth with professional clarity and directness. This means that I always know exactly what the relevant factors are in the decision at hand AND I always feel that Dr. Jeelani actually cares about the outcome. I especially appreciated this after I had my first miscarriage.
Describe the protocols Roohi Jeelani used in your cycles at Vios Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
We used Antagonist Protocol for the stimulation phase of my Freeze-all IVF cycle. We didn't discuss the why of antagonist vs agonist protocol, but here was my profile at the time: 38 y.o, unexplained infertility, history of fibroids (removed via myomectomy prior to beginning treatment**), AMH and FSH indicate relatively high ovarian reserve for age group. Dr. Jeelani explained that she wanted to do a freeze-all cycle with me because that would give her time to prep my uterine lining better for implantation without any complications from the ovarian stimulation. In her words, it was easier to work with one organ at a time. We froze five (5) day-5 AB blastocysts from that retrieval. We did the FET and acheived clinical pregnancy, but I miscarried at 8 weeks. That frozen cycle was also an elective-Single Embryo transfer. I hadn't PGS tested my embryos because of the cost---$5K and had strongly expressed to Dr. Jeelani that I did NOT want a multiple pregnancy so we were cautious. Medication List: For stimulation: We started with Menopur (150 IU), Gonal-F (300 IU), along with an antibiotic and a steroid for immuno suppression. I declined to take the steroid. We did Cetritide for the antagonist and HCG for the trigger shot. Don't remember the dosage. For FET: birth control and Lupron for suppression estrogen inserts and patches to fluff the lining progesterone shots, inserts, and oral pills to make the lining sticky **Dr. Jeelani also snipped some remaining scar tissue for me via hysteroscopy before I began treatment
Very compassionate, very accessible, very willing to communicate. There sometimes wasn't a lot of continuity in terms of some of the details (i.e. pharmacy location or my insurance doesn't cover THAT birth control), but I never had an issue that wasn't fixed promptly and with aplomb.
Describe your experience with Vios Fertility Institute.
The clinic overall is great. I LOVE their Mocktail Drug Mixing nights! Billing....was sort of a pain sometimes, but not because of the staff entirely. Part of it is just the way the cookie crumbles when trying to get insurance to pay for a chronic illness.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Vios Fertility Institute.
I only scheduled my appointments for first thing in the morning and never had a problem. Never felt like a 'cattle call'...lol, but I was in and out pretty quickly. The technicians always asked if I'd like to consult with a nurse before I left. I didn't often take them up, but appreciated the offer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Roohi Jeelani at Vios Fertility Institute.
My insurance covered a lot of my treatment including testing and labs and various monitoring fees, but here are a few highlights: IVF Meds: around $1200 for one cycle (insurance covered part) ICSI: $500 (insurance didn't cover because I used donor sperm) Assisted Hatching: $500/per hatch, if you are doing frozen be aware that they assist-hatch once before freezing and once after, so you pay $500 at freeze and $500 for each transfer if your insurance doesn't cover Anesthesia for Retrieval: don't remember cost but it was negligible FET Meds: about $400/cycle (insurance covered part)
Describe Roohi Jeelani's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Vios Fertility Institute.
Dr. Jeelani wanted to start with a single because of how I had responded to the stimulation and because of the lack of genetic testing. I agreed because I did not want a multiple pregnancy. Dr. Jeelani has advised me that the risk of multiple pregnancies greatly decreases with age, but it just isn't a chance that I'm willing to take. I'd rather spend the extra money to do single-embryo transfers.
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Roohi Jeelani at Vios Fertility Institute.

PCOS, Unexplained
I thought Dr Jeelani was a great doctor who was well versed in the medical literature and wanted us to know our odds of success with each treatment. I felt like she would work with me to help me understand my care and adjustment my treatment when I was concerned about the planned course. She always seemed rushed in our visits and I often felt like I gained more from talking to the nurses than to her, but I think that's just the reality of a lot of fertility clinics and I never felt like I got competing information from the nurses/doctor, just spent a lot of time being told the same thing by different people. ...
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Roohi Jeelani at Vios Fertility Institute?
In general, I thought Dr Jeelani was a great doctor who was well versed in the medical literature and wanted us to know our odds of success with each treatment. I felt like she would work with me to help me understand my care and adjustment my treatment when I was concerned about the planned course. She always seemed rushed in our visits and I often felt like I gained more from talking to the nurses than to her, but I think that's just the reality of a lot of fertility clinics and I never felt like I got competing information from the nurses/doctor, just spent a lot of time being told the same thing by different people.
Have your questions prepared and don't be afraid to ask if you are looking for something different than the standard course of care.
I always felt like my medical care would be tailored to my needs -- it wasn't uncommon for me to ask questions and have them make adjustments based on my goals and medical history. Most of the nurses and techs are really sweet and personable.
For IUIs, we used letrozole, 5 mg. For egg retrieval, we did a low dose antagonist protocol without bcp prior. My dose changed midway, but we started at 75 FSH/ 75 Menopur. The goal was to get us enough eggs to be likely to get to transfer, but without putting me at risk for OHSS, as that was my primary concern. Initially, she had wanted to start me higher and do a freeze all cycle, but since I was hoping for a fresh transfer (which was ultimately cancelled), we reduced the dose. I ultimately produced 11 eggs (8 mature) which resulted in 4 frozen embryos, which should be enough for our family building goals.
I loved most of the nursing staff. There was one nurse who I greatly disliked, and a few towards the end who were very young and inexperienced, but by and large the nurses were kind, knowledgeable and attentive. You regularly see nurses at every visit and they'll give you a provisional game plan until your next appointment. I appreciated having that regular opportunity to ask questions and prepare for what was next. When there were changes based on results/doctor's review, they always called to give you an update. They also were very compassionate.
Describe your experience with Vios Fertility Institute.
Strength: the medical team and the personalized level of care. Weakness: billing. As much as I love my care at Vios, I am concerning moving to a different clinic for additional transfers as I am routinely billed the wrong amount, rebilled for items already paid for, and will have billing codes for procedures I did not undergo. I've always been able to get it sorted out, but not without hours of phone calls and emails spanning several weeks. Their policy is that payment is due before an appointment, so I've been repeatedly asked to make a payment that I know I don't owe. This results in a detailed discussion about my bills in front of a crowded waiting room. I know from my experience there, I'm not the only one who has had this problem, as I've heard several other women refusing to pay a balance because they know they don't owe it. Additionally, there can be long wait times for appointments. They have set appointment times, but do not follow them and overbook people. It is not uncommon during a week that they are IVF cycling to wait more than hour past your appointment slot. They also have a policy to only allow OB ultrasounds from 10-noon, making it so partners are unable to be there for these appointments, which are some of the most important for couples to both be at. There is no flexibility in this, even when they are not busy.
My insurance largely covered my care. From looking at bills, they do charge more than the other clinics I had previously received care from. I know they charge $6,000 for PGS testing, which is why we ultimately didn't pursue it.
In early consultations, the doctor said that I could transfer 2 if I made a strong push but that they would greatly prefer a single embryo transfer with my medical history. I ultimately agreed with them, and as we moved towards transfer, there was no discussion of transferring more than 1. I was happy with that decision, but if someone was set on multiple transfers, they may have a harder time making that happen.
What specific things went wrong at Vios Fertility Institute?
St. Louis

PCOS, Other
Latino, Black or African-American, Other
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Roohi Jeelani at Vios Fertility Institute?
Dr. Jeelani is one of the newer doctor's at the clinic. Initially, during the initial consultation with her we felt it was rushed. Before meeting with the Doctor you and your spouse are required to fill out a long questionnaire containing important information needed for your meeting. I also provided the clinic with my Donors DNA expanded screening results to discuss with the Dr. during our consultation. The day of the consultation Dr. Jeelani did not seem prepared for our meeting. She did not have the electronic forms that were filled out prior to us meeting nor did she have the Donor results to discuss. She said it was not an issue and basically spent most of the time asking me and my wife all of the questions that we filled out via their portal. Dr. Jeelani was straight forward in our meeting. We felt she gave an explanation of things if questions were asked, however, if they were not, anything extra and important wasn't offered. It could be that most of our time was spent with her documenting all of our answers for their questionnaire that we had previously filled out. Being a New patient and not having much background or experience with Fertility Clinics we did not know the types of questions to ask and felt the conversation could have been guided a bit more by the Dr. When the process of my IUI began I was informed by Dr. Jeelani that I had PCOS. I was not aware of what PCOS actually was at the time and how it could affect my pregnancy. Dr. Jeelani never explained what it was in detail, nor did she make it seem it would be a problem throughout my process. Therefore, I trusted in that and did not see it as a major factor. It was recommended that I start my 1st process by taking Clomid, Ovidrel trigger shot right before insemination, and Endometrin after Insemination. I did have to go to my general doctor to get my bloodwork done and tested for sexual diseases and CMV. I was also advised of getting the same expanded DNA testing as my donor at the time. My spouse and I asked about tracking my ovulation and were told we could on our own, however, it wasn't necessary due to the way the timing worked with the fertility drugs. After my clomid I was told I'd be monitored and would be informed when it was a good time to take my trigger shot (Ovidrel). I decided to track my ovulation on my own before coming in for my schedueled monitoring due to hearing other women having had success doing so. The day of my schedueled monitoring Dr. Jeelani saw that a couple follicles were larger and possibly ready for ovulation. We also expressed to her that my Ovulation tracking mentioned I was peaking. Due to this she advised to take my trigger shot sooner than schedueled. We then schedueled my insemination for the day after I took my trigger shot. Thankfully I tracked my ovulation. The day of insemination we were not happy that Dr. Jeelani was not present and were not told about this until the day of. Luckily, we had a great Nurse. After the insemination and the long 2 week wait we did not hear from Dr. Jeelani in that time frame. I came in for bloodwork and did receive a call from Dr. Jeelani personally that same night letting me know that I was pregnant. After finding out I was pregnant Dr. Jeelani did provide her phone number and said I could reach out when needed. At one point I did begin to bleed and expressed this to be a concern. Dr. Jeelani mentioned as long as it wasn't excessive that it should not be a concern due to it stopping. In the end unfortunately we had a miscarriage due to the baby not having a heartbeat. During this process we did not meet with Dr. Jeelani until the nurses felt it wouldn't be a viable pregnancy. They told us to wait another week and the last week I met with another Dr. After this I did not hear from Dr. Jeelani again and only dealt with Dr. Beltsos. In my opinion as her patient I felt she could have been more involved and personable.
I would say Dr. Jeelani can be a sweet and soft spoken person. I was pleased with the fact that I did have a personal number on hand in case of an emergency. However, if you are looking for a very personable Dr. and someone who is genuinly compassionate about your process you wont get that. It's more of a business relationship and when you understand that up front you won't feel as dissapointed along the way. The end goal can still be obtained if you remain proactive with your process.
I can honestly say I have felt both at times. We've had positive and not so positive experiences with the staff and Dr. Jeelani that have resulted in us feeling this way. Initially, my wife and I had very high expectations and were super excited about going through our first IUI process ever with Vios Fertility. We feel that with such a sensitive and what should be an exciting (not stresssful) process that feeling human all of the time was unfortunately not what we felt. We do understand that the Doctors are stretched thin due to having several patients to care for at once and we can't expect to interact with them 100% of the time. However, we felt the team of Nurses and desk staff did not always offer that genuine concern, consideration, and compassion during the process as we expected they should. There were those few that were always a pleasure to see and communicate with when we dealt with them either via the portal or in person. They always smiled and greeted us by name or even if we didn't have an appointment with them that day they made it a point to stop and ask how everything was going in our process. That stood out to us and made us feel they genuinely cared about us and our process. Then there were others who were very serious and looked as if they weren't happy with being at work. One example is a particular nurse who performed my ultrasounds pretty regularly barely communicated with us during the ultrasounds. She would take photos and measurements without explaining anything to us. We would only receive a short explanation when we asked questions; very impersonable. In the initial phases, Vios could have explained the process to us more in detail and layed everything on the table to us in our initial New Patient Consultation with the Dr. It keeps the patient from guessing or searching for information on their own after the fact. As a new patient and being new to this entire process, we would have liked to know we would be working with a team of nurses and not just one particular Nurse/Dr., sticking to either giving us a call with results or posting them in the portal within the timeframe given and informed, and letting it be known that the doctor would not be the one we would see for most ultrasounds, etc. In our case, Dr. Jeelani was not there or did not perform our insemination process when we were told she would. We found out the day of insemination that a Nurse would be the one doing it (She turned out to be amazing). Before the insemination, I had surgery to have a polyp removed from my uterus. I was under the impression Dr. Jeelani would be present for this as well and found out day of surgery that she would not. The miscommunication and not having all of the proper information up front (before/after insemination fact or guideline sheets etc), not receiving timely updates after many bloodwork appts., receiving conflicting information via the portal on medications being prescribed/ordered, and having to ensure all prescriptions were being ordered and processed in a timely manner made this process very stressful. As anyone going through or having gone through this process knows it is very time sensitive. This is why I feel this is something that the Dr./Staff could've been on top of more. We feel if we weren't as Proactive in our own process with ensuring all the pieces fell into place, we probably would not have been as successful with our first IUI attempt. In regards to Dr. Jeelani alone, when we did speak with her she did have a very sweet demeanor about her. As a person, she showed compassion and seemed to want to be helpful. She even gave me her cell number and expressed if there were any concerns I could reach out to her. I did a few times which she responded to promptly. I could tell when meeting with her in person she seemed very busy, rushed, and on the go. At times this caused confusion in her responses. There were a couple of times she confused my case with others. For example the first day I met her she was convinced she had already met me and spoken to me on the phone, however, I explained that was not me and it was our first time meeting. Overall, the intent of wanting to be helpful was present. I just think maybe being busy with other cases she may have forgotten to communicate certain things to me or have information relayed via the staff and/or portal in a timely manner.
I mentioned previously that I was diagnosed with PCOS throughout my process. I was personally advised of using fertility drugs throughout my IUI process. I did not decline and trusted my Dr. in this. I felt that anything that could help my chances of getting pregnant the first time I would take. My spouse and I were not covered by our insurance in addition to having to get donor sperm for this process. This played a major factor in our decision to use fertility drugs instead of attempting naturally due to us having to pay out of pocket. I was initially given Clomid which had its side affects and during the time I was pregnant, I had huge cysts on each ovary. It is believed the Clomid may have caused this. After the Clomid I took my Ovidrel shot when peaking to help release my egg (possibly eggs) within 24 hours. 24 hours later I had my insemination schedueled. After insemination I was told to immediately start taking Endometrin (Progesterone) twice a day to help ensure the embryo attached itself to my uterine wall. After finding out I was pregnant, I was informed my HTC was not increasing as quickly as it should. A week later my Thyroid was tested and found to be higher than normal. Due to this I was prescribed Thyroid medication for an overactive thyroid. I believe a week after I was told my Vitamin D levels were low and I should begin taking a 2000mg supplement of Vitamin D. After the 6th week, my Progesterone levels began to drop and my dosage for Endometrin went from 2 to 4 times a day. Then unfortunately I did not have a viable pregnancy. Throughout the pregnancy process I only met with Dr. Jeelani one time and saw more of Dr. Beltsos until the end.
The nursing staff at Vios was not very informative. I did receive a lot of conflicting information throughout my process at the clinic via the portal and in person. I would be promised to be called with results from my bloodwork that was done in house and would not receive them until I followed up. When I did receive my results usually the next day it would be posted to the portal. I would receive a brief description of my results but nothing further. There were times where I would not receive an explanation on my levels and would only see my HTC and other numbers posted. Some of the nurses went out of thier way to congratulate us when finding out I was pregnant, while others were very impersonable about the process. Same as when finding out I would not have a viable pregnancy. Emily was one of the nurses that we appreciated the most due to being consistent and caring during our process. She made us feel as if it wasn't only about business and we were more than just a number. We could tell she genuinely loved her job and cared for patients. Overall, you are not consistently seeing one Nurse. I found myself having to explain things to different Nurses due to them not being familiar with me as a patient and my process. This aspect of the clinic felt impersonable.
Describe your experience with Vios Fertility Institute.
The clinic is like any other Doctor's office clinic. Initially I thought there would be a difference between a Fertility Clinic and a regular Doctors office clinic, however, there is no major difference. Each time we entered the clinic we did not feel very welcomed or compassion from the ladies behind the desk. It was impersonal each time we were there. One of the members even made an inappropriate comment to my spouse which we reported to the main Dr. of the clinic.
My overall IUI process was $1200 out of pocket due to my insurance not covering it. The $1200 did not include any fertility drugs. Luckily, our insurance helped cover a majkr portion of the medication.
This does not apply to my case and was not discussed with Dr. Jeelani.
What specific things went wrong at Vios Fertility Institute?
Chicago

She [Dr. Roohi Jeelani] is knowledgeable and helped guide me through this process from the beginning. She was available when I needed to speak with her...When my follicles weren't growing fast enough she increased my Follistim dosage... I had her personal phone number, which I did use for questions. She answered timely and willing to answer any question I had. Her bed side manners were great and I felt comfortable in her presence.
How was your experience with Roohi Jeelani at Vios Fertility Institute?
I was pleased with my experience at the clinic and with the doctor. She's knowledgeable and helped guide me through this process from the beginning. She was available when I needed to speak with her.
The advice I'd give is ask as many questions as you'd like.
I used Menopur and Follistim. When my follicles weren't growing fast enough she increased my Follistim dosage.
I saw the same staff for blood draw and ultrasounds for the most part. they were all welcoming and willing to listen.
Describe your experience with Vios Fertility Institute.
The clinic's strength is that you feel welcomed, heard and part of the team. The financial staff were very proactive in assisting with insurance information and letting you know ahead of time what to expect with possible costs. They also followed up unprompted. They have a portal that allows you to communicate with the office for questions and in return they can communicate with you for dosage information and action plans. The day of retrieval was easy and the operating staff i.e. anesthesiologist etc were the most welcoming group I have ever encountered. They asked me how my new kitty was and I was shocked they kept track or communicated with each other on purpose to bring it up so I would feel comfortable. I couldn't stop smiling as I was laying down in the operating chair.
My insurance covers IVF and therefore covered the egg retrieval. The cost to freeze the eggs was $1,200. I had a copay for each visit.
Chicago

She's candid, but kind. She [Dr. Roohi Jeelani] is always willing to go the extra mile to make me feel comfortable. This is especially important because I have anxiety and the procedures I've had are very hard to go through.... Gonal-f and menopur. We added HGH to get better quality eggs on the second retrieval. We tried an estrogen priming protocol for an FET that got canceled. We adjusted doses and tried again, but that was canceled. We then tried FSH instead and were able to proceed with a transfer, though unsuccessfully.
How was your experience with Roohi Jeelani at Vios Fertility Institute?
She's candid, but kind. She is always willing to go the extra mile to make me feel comfortable. This is especially important because I have anxiety and the procedures I've had are very hard to go through.
Listen to everything she says, but trust that she is open to you and your feelings. If you ask her what she would do, she is honest and will be candid, but very kind.
The first meeting we had she had reviewed everything from our previous clinic. Not only is she incredibly informative, she lets us make our own decisions on what direction we want to try. She likes to give us the information we need, but leaves it open to our wants and desires. In addition, she has incredible empathy for our journey thus far and has always approached us with compassion.
Everyone has been great so far. They are all very nice and compassionate. They are also willing to go the extra mile when issues come up, especially with medicine and pharmacy stuff
Describe your experience with Vios Fertility Institute.
The facilities are great. Only downside is the lab is in downtown Chicago, which means you have to deal with traffic and parking for retrievals and transfers. However it's not that bad to find parking
Covered by insurance
Since we PGS tested, we were advised to transfer just 1
Chicago

Be completely open and transparent with her [Dr. Roohi Jeelani]...Very caring and willing to explain and accommodate with extra time...Very knowledgeable, strong communicator, compassionate and caring. I felt valued and cared for, it was like a personal touch was given. She spent time addressing all my concerns and encouraged me when things seemed impossible...Communication and corresponding are strengths.
Latino, Black or African-American
How was your experience with Roohi Jeelani at Vios Fertility Institute?
Be completely open and transparent with her.
Very caring and willing to explain and accommodate with extra time
Nice, and accommodating.
Describe your experience with Vios Fertility Institute.
Communication and corresponding are strengths. The one and only issue I had was parking was TERRIBLE. The office is nice, personnel was friendly. Ultrasound was efficient and quick. I enhoyed my overall experience with Vios