5.3

Roohi Jeelani works in 1 office at

Chicago - Wicker Park
1455 N Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60622

I thought Dr Jeelani was a great doctor who was well versed in the medical literature and wanted us to know our odds of success with each treatment. I felt like she would work with me to help me understand my care and adjustment my treatment when I was concerned about the planned course. She always seemed rushed in our visits and I often felt like I gained more from talking to the nurses than to her, but I think that's just the reality of a lot of fertility clinics and I never felt like I got competing information from the nurses/doctor, just spent a lot of time being told the same thing by different people. ...
They've [Vios] lost paperwork I've given them a few times. ... Weakness: billing. As much as I love my care at Vios, I am concerning moving to a different clinic for additional transfers as I am routinely billed the wrong amount, rebilled for items already paid for, and will have billing codes for procedures I did not undergo. ... They have set appointment times, but do not follow them and overbook people. It is not uncommon during a week that they are IVF cycling to wait more than hour past your appointment slot.
How was your experience with Roohi Jeelani at Kindbody (formerly Vios Fertility Institute)?
In general, I thought Dr Jeelani was a great doctor who was well versed in the medical literature and wanted us to know our odds of success with each treatment. I felt like she would work with me to help me understand my care and adjustment my treatment when I was concerned about the planned course. She always seemed rushed in our visits and I often felt like I gained more from talking to the nurses than to her, but I think that's just the reality of a lot of fertility clinics and I never felt like I got competing information from the nurses/doctor, just spent a lot of time being told the same thing by different people.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Roohi Jeelani at Kindbody (formerly Vios Fertility Institute)?
Have your questions prepared and don't be afraid to ask if you are looking for something different than the standard course of care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Roohi Jeelani at Kindbody (formerly Vios Fertility Institute)?
I always felt like my medical care would be tailored to my needs -- it wasn't uncommon for me to ask questions and have them make adjustments based on my goals and medical history. Most of the nurses and techs are really sweet and personable.
Describe the protocols Roohi Jeelani used in your cycles at Kindbody (formerly Vios Fertility Institute) and their degree of success.
For IUIs, we used letrozole, 5 mg. For egg retrieval, we did a low dose antagonist protocol without bcp prior. My dose changed midway, but we started at 75 FSH/ 75 Menopur. The goal was to get us enough eggs to be likely to get to transfer, but without putting me at risk for OHSS, as that was my primary concern. Initially, she had wanted to start me higher and do a freeze all cycle, but since I was hoping for a fresh transfer (which was ultimately cancelled), we reduced the dose. I ultimately produced 11 eggs (8 mature) which resulted in 4 frozen embryos, which should be enough for our family building goals.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kindbody (formerly Vios Fertility Institute).
I loved most of the nursing staff. There was one nurse who I greatly disliked, and a few towards the end who were very young and inexperienced, but by and large the nurses were kind, knowledgeable and attentive. You regularly see nurses at every visit and they'll give you a provisional game plan until your next appointment. I appreciated having that regular opportunity to ask questions and prepare for what was next. When there were changes based on results/doctor's review, they always called to give you an update. They also were very compassionate.
Describe your experience with Kindbody (formerly Vios Fertility Institute).
Strength: the medical team and the personalized level of care. Weakness: billing. As much as I love my care at Vios, I am concerning moving to a different clinic for additional transfers as I am routinely billed the wrong amount, rebilled for items already paid for, and will have billing codes for procedures I did not undergo. I've always been able to get it sorted out, but not without hours of phone calls and emails spanning several weeks. Their policy is that payment is due before an appointment, so I've been repeatedly asked to make a payment that I know I don't owe. This results in a detailed discussion about my bills in front of a crowded waiting room. I know from my experience there, I'm not the only one who has had this problem, as I've heard several other women refusing to pay a balance because they know they don't owe it. Additionally, there can be long wait times for appointments. They have set appointment times, but do not follow them and overbook people. It is not uncommon during a week that they are IVF cycling to wait more than hour past your appointment slot. They also have a policy to only allow OB ultrasounds from 10-noon, making it so partners are unable to be there for these appointments, which are some of the most important for couples to both be at. There is no flexibility in this, even when they are not busy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Roohi Jeelani at Kindbody (formerly Vios Fertility Institute).
My insurance largely covered my care. From looking at bills, they do charge more than the other clinics I had previously received care from. I know they charge $6,000 for PGS testing, which is why we ultimately didn't pursue it.
Describe Roohi Jeelani's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kindbody (formerly Vios Fertility Institute).
In early consultations, the doctor said that I could transfer 2 if I made a strong push but that they would greatly prefer a single embryo transfer with my medical history. I ultimately agreed with them, and as we moved towards transfer, there was no discussion of transferring more than 1. I was happy with that decision, but if someone was set on multiple transfers, they may have a harder time making that happen.
What specific things went wrong at Kindbody (formerly Vios Fertility Institute)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kindbody (formerly Vios Fertility Institute).
They've lost paperwork I've given them a few times. This was particularly problematic with my carrier screening, as they insisted I do it again at a great cost despite me giving them a copy of my results 3 times. I've had prescriptions not sent in when they said they would and in one case, the wrong one ultimately sent. I've also gotten consents for a procedure minutes before a time-sensitive procedure was set to start. That issue was addressed and I believe they resolved the glitch that caused that to happen. My biggest issue has been with billing who is often unresponsive and cannot tell you how your payments have been applied. Prior to our IVF cycle, it took 2 weeks of asking, daily phone calls and finally a threat to leave the clinic before someone would tell me the cost of my procedure. Since then, I've had many issues with being billed incorrect procedure codes, asked to repay for balances already paid, and a failure to credit my insurance's payments to my account.
St. Louis

It was impersonal each time we were there [at Vios Fertility Institute]...Each time we entered the clinic we did not feel very welcomed or compassion from the ladies behind the desk...We do understand that the Doctors are stretched thin due to having several patients to care for at once and we can't expect to interact with them 100% of the time. However, we felt the team of Nurses and desk staff did not always offer that genuine concern, consideration, and compassion during the process as we expected they should.
Dr. Jeelani is one of the newer doctor's at the clinic. Initially, during the initial consultation with her we felt it was rushed. Before meeting with the Doctor you and your spouse are required to fill out a long questionnaire containing important information needed for your meeting. I also provided the clinic with my Donors DNA expanded screening results to discuss with the Dr. during our consultation. The day of the consultation Dr. Jeelani did not seem prepared for our meeting. She did not have the electronic forms that were filled out prior to us meeting nor did she have the Donor results to discuss. She said it was not an issue and basically spent most of the time asking me and my wife all of the questions that we filled out via their portal. Dr. Jeelani was straight forward in our meeting. We felt she gave an explanation of things if questions were asked, however, if they were not, anything extra and important wasn't offered. It could be that most of our time was spent with her documenting all of our answers for their questionnaire that we had previously filled out. Being a New patient and not having much background or experience with Fertility Clinics we did not know the types of questions to ask and felt the conversation could have been guided a bit more by the Dr. When the process of my IUI began I was informed by Dr. Jeelani that I had PCOS. I was not aware of what PCOS actually was at the time and how it could affect my pregnancy. Dr. Jeelani never explained what it was in detail, nor did she make it seem it would be a problem throughout my process. Therefore, I trusted in that and did not see it as a major factor. It was recommended that I start my 1st process by taking Clomid, Ovidrel trigger shot right before insemination, and Endometrin after Insemination. I did have to go to my general doctor to get my bloodwork done and tested for sexual diseases and CMV. I was also advised of getting the same expanded DNA testing as my donor at the time. My spouse and I asked about tracking my ovulation and were told we could on our own, however, it wasn't necessary due to the way the timing worked with the fertility drugs. After my clomid I was told I'd be monitored and would be informed when it was a good time to take my trigger shot (Ovidrel). I decided to track my ovulation on my own before coming in for my schedueled monitoring due to hearing other women having had success doing so. The day of my schedueled monitoring Dr. Jeelani saw that a couple follicles were larger and possibly ready for ovulation. We also expressed to her that my Ovulation tracking mentioned I was peaking. Due to this she advised to take my trigger shot sooner than schedueled. We then schedueled my insemination for the day after I took my trigger shot. Thankfully I tracked my ovulation. The day of insemination we were not happy that Dr. Jeelani was not present and were not told about this until the day of. Luckily, we had a great Nurse. After the insemination and the long 2 week wait we did not hear from Dr. Jeelani in that time frame. I came in for bloodwork and did receive a call from Dr. Jeelani personally that same night letting me know that I was pregnant. After finding out I was pregnant Dr. Jeelani did provide her phone number and said I could reach out when needed. At one point I did begin to bleed and expressed this to be a concern. Dr. Jeelani mentioned as long as it wasn't excessive that it should not be a concern due to it stopping. In the end unfortunately we had a miscarriage due to the baby not having a heartbeat. During this process we did not meet with Dr. Jeelani until the nurses felt it wouldn't be a viable pregnancy. They told us to wait another week and the last week I met with another Dr. After this I did not hear from Dr. Jeelani again and only dealt with Dr. Beltsos. In my opinion as her patient I felt she could have been more involved and personable.
I would say Dr. Jeelani can be a sweet and soft spoken person. I was pleased with the fact that I did have a personal number on hand in case of an emergency. However, if you are looking for a very personable Dr. and someone who is genuinly compassionate about your process you wont get that. It's more of a business relationship and when you understand that up front you won't feel as dissapointed along the way. The end goal can still be obtained if you remain proactive with your process.
I can honestly say I have felt both at times. We've had positive and not so positive experiences with the staff and Dr. Jeelani that have resulted in us feeling this way. Initially, my wife and I had very high expectations and were super excited about going through our first IUI process ever with Vios Fertility. We feel that with such a sensitive and what should be an exciting (not stresssful) process that feeling human all of the time was unfortunately not what we felt. We do understand that the Doctors are stretched thin due to having several patients to care for at once and we can't expect to interact with them 100% of the time. However, we felt the team of Nurses and desk staff did not always offer that genuine concern, consideration, and compassion during the process as we expected they should. There were those few that were always a pleasure to see and communicate with when we dealt with them either via the portal or in person. They always smiled and greeted us by name or even if we didn't have an appointment with them that day they made it a point to stop and ask how everything was going in our process. That stood out to us and made us feel they genuinely cared about us and our process. Then there were others who were very serious and looked as if they weren't happy with being at work. One example is a particular nurse who performed my ultrasounds pretty regularly barely communicated with us during the ultrasounds. She would take photos and measurements without explaining anything to us. We would only receive a short explanation when we asked questions; very impersonable. In the initial phases, Vios could have explained the process to us more in detail and layed everything on the table to us in our initial New Patient Consultation with the Dr. It keeps the patient from guessing or searching for information on their own after the fact. As a new patient and being new to this entire process, we would have liked to know we would be working with a team of nurses and not just one particular Nurse/Dr., sticking to either giving us a call with results or posting them in the portal within the timeframe given and informed, and letting it be known that the doctor would not be the one we would see for most ultrasounds, etc. In our case, Dr. Jeelani was not there or did not perform our insemination process when we were told she would. We found out the day of insemination that a Nurse would be the one doing it (She turned out to be amazing). Before the insemination, I had surgery to have a polyp removed from my uterus. I was under the impression Dr. Jeelani would be present for this as well and found out day of surgery that she would not. The miscommunication and not having all of the proper information up front (before/after insemination fact or guideline sheets etc), not receiving timely updates after many bloodwork appts., receiving conflicting information via the portal on medications being prescribed/ordered, and having to ensure all prescriptions were being ordered and processed in a timely manner made this process very stressful. As anyone going through or having gone through this process knows it is very time sensitive. This is why I feel this is something that the Dr./Staff could've been on top of more. We feel if we weren't as Proactive in our own process with ensuring all the pieces fell into place, we probably would not have been as successful with our first IUI attempt. In regards to Dr. Jeelani alone, when we did speak with her she did have a very sweet demeanor about her. As a person, she showed compassion and seemed to want to be helpful. She even gave me her cell number and expressed if there were any concerns I could reach out to her. I did a few times which she responded to promptly. I could tell when meeting with her in person she seemed very busy, rushed, and on the go. At times this caused confusion in her responses. There were a couple of times she confused my case with others. For example the first day I met her she was convinced she had already met me and spoken to me on the phone, however, I explained that was not me and it was our first time meeting. Overall, the intent of wanting to be helpful was present. I just think maybe being busy with other cases she may have forgotten to communicate certain things to me or have information relayed via the staff and/or portal in a timely manner.
I mentioned previously that I was diagnosed with PCOS throughout my process. I was personally advised of using fertility drugs throughout my IUI process. I did not decline and trusted my Dr. in this. I felt that anything that could help my chances of getting pregnant the first time I would take. My spouse and I were not covered by our insurance in addition to having to get donor sperm for this process. This played a major factor in our decision to use fertility drugs instead of attempting naturally due to us having to pay out of pocket. I was initially given Clomid which had its side affects and during the time I was pregnant, I had huge cysts on each ovary. It is believed the Clomid may have caused this. After the Clomid I took my Ovidrel shot when peaking to help release my egg (possibly eggs) within 24 hours. 24 hours later I had my insemination schedueled. After insemination I was told to immediately start taking Endometrin (Progesterone) twice a day to help ensure the embryo attached itself to my uterine wall. After finding out I was pregnant, I was informed my HTC was not increasing as quickly as it should. A week later my Thyroid was tested and found to be higher than normal. Due to this I was prescribed Thyroid medication for an overactive thyroid. I believe a week after I was told my Vitamin D levels were low and I should begin taking a 2000mg supplement of Vitamin D. After the 6th week, my Progesterone levels began to drop and my dosage for Endometrin went from 2 to 4 times a day. Then unfortunately I did not have a viable pregnancy. Throughout the pregnancy process I only met with Dr. Jeelani one time and saw more of Dr. Beltsos until the end.
The nursing staff at Vios was not very informative. I did receive a lot of conflicting information throughout my process at the clinic via the portal and in person. I would be promised to be called with results from my bloodwork that was done in house and would not receive them until I followed up. When I did receive my results usually the next day it would be posted to the portal. I would receive a brief description of my results but nothing further. There were times where I would not receive an explanation on my levels and would only see my HTC and other numbers posted. Some of the nurses went out of thier way to congratulate us when finding out I was pregnant, while others were very impersonable about the process. Same as when finding out I would not have a viable pregnancy. Emily was one of the nurses that we appreciated the most due to being consistent and caring during our process. She made us feel as if it wasn't only about business and we were more than just a number. We could tell she genuinely loved her job and cared for patients. Overall, you are not consistently seeing one Nurse. I found myself having to explain things to different Nurses due to them not being familiar with me as a patient and my process. This aspect of the clinic felt impersonable.
Describe your experience with Kindbody (formerly Vios Fertility Institute).
The clinic is like any other Doctor's office clinic. Initially I thought there would be a difference between a Fertility Clinic and a regular Doctors office clinic, however, there is no major difference. Each time we entered the clinic we did not feel very welcomed or compassion from the ladies behind the desk. It was impersonal each time we were there. One of the members even made an inappropriate comment to my spouse which we reported to the main Dr. of the clinic.
My overall IUI process was $1200 out of pocket due to my insurance not covering it. The $1200 did not include any fertility drugs. Luckily, our insurance helped cover a majkr portion of the medication.
This does not apply to my case and was not discussed with Dr. Jeelani.
There have been quite a few mishaps by the clinic. When having to send prescriptions or send my medical files to my primary doctors office it did not happen right away. I had to make phone calls myself to ensure paperwork was being sent or received and ensure medications were prescribed as needed.
Chicago - Wicker Park
Dr. Jeelani is a brilliant RE who makes herself available to her patient. She does a great job at reviewing your results with you, make sure you understand them, recap the previous one, provides her opinion and looks for feedback...[she] is a busy Doctor, make sure you have your questions ready...[she] empathized and even shared her own journey with IVF
The [Vios Fertility Institute] clinic is very well organized especially in COVID times. I always feel very safe going in with the new protocol. The wait is also very small since everyone is scheduled. It is hard to plan since one day you can get an appt at 9 and the next at noon. The results are not shared with you until later on in the afternoon when your nurse calls you with next steps. Communication is not consistent - some doctors provide their direct contact information, others require you go through their assistant.
Dr Jeelani is a busy Doctor, make sure you have your questions ready
She made herself available to me, empathized and even shared her own journey with IVF
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kindbody (formerly Vios Fertility Institute). (Assigned nurse: Kathleen)
Kathleen was great at communicating. Her counterpart Weronika was also excellent and they made the best team. They were both available on one email account so I always got a response quickly
Describe your experience with Kindbody (formerly Vios Fertility Institute).
The clinic is very well organized especially in COVID times. I always feel very safe going in with the new protocol. The wait is also very small since everyone is scheduled. It is hard to plan since one day you can get an appt at 9 and the next at noon. The results are not shared with you until later on in the afternoon when your nurse calls you with next steps. Communication is not consistent - some doctors provide their direct contact information, others require you go through their assistant.
Chicago - West Loop