6.1

National Institutes of Health

Ruben Alvero works at

1195 W. Fremont Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94087

For my case, Dr. Alvero believed in multiple embryo transfer. He was going to transfer as many embryos as possible...The conversations felt rushed, brief, and not open ended. I felt like I had to come ready with many questions, otherwise no extra information was going to be given to me. I never had any contact with [him] outside of the clinic, meaning the only way for me to have any follow up was to send the clinic an email and a nurse will get back to me...
The [Stanford University] clinic was clean, organized, and updated on technology. The receptionists were professional and nice, but just average. The financial counselor was the worst at managing my case. I had to reach out many times to get my questions answered because the follow up was poor. The only way to communicate with anyone with questions was to email my nurse and I will get directed from there
How was your experience with Ruben Alvero at Stanford University?
I was assigned to Dr. Alvero. He is the Medical Director of the Stanford Fertility and Reproductive Health clinic. Upon meeting Dr. Alvero, he met my stereotype of a doctor, very professional yet not "warm". The vibe I got was his time was limited. His communication was average. He only communicated the minimum necessary. He didn't elaborate unless I asked questions. I felt like I was constantly pulling for more information, but I always left the clinic with more questions. I felt like I was constantly looking for more answers. I never got a clear picture of what was the next stage. I would like to believe that Dr. Alvero made the medical decisions he did for me because it was right and in my best interest, but in retrospect, I was just a number.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ruben Alvero at Stanford University?
Go with all the questions you can think of, and ask why a lot.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ruben Alvero at Stanford University?
The conversations felt rushed, brief, and not open ended. I felt like I had to come ready with many questions, otherwise no extra information was going to be given to me. I never had any contact with my doctor outside of the clinic, meaning the only way for me to have any follow up was to send the clinic an email and a nurse will get back to me. When the nurse responds to me, it was also very short responses.
Describe the protocols Ruben Alvero used in your cycles at Stanford University and their degree of success.
I was given the antagonist protocol. I was never given the rationale for using this kind of protocol, and I never had the chance to ask because I never saw Dr. Alvero after the beginning of my treatment. I was put on Follistim & Menopur. I had a 3 day fresh cycle transfer. Dr. Alvero did not recommend genetic testing because he felt like I was not going to produce many eggs anyway so he didn't want me to spend money on genetics testing. He felt like a fresh cycle was more beneficial in my case because I did not yield many eggs. It just seemed to me that everything came down to having diminished ovarian reserve. I was presented with many odds up against me from the very beginning.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Stanford University.
I have never met my primary nurse. She was assigned to Dr. Alvero so she answered any questions I had over the patient portal. Her responses were timely which I appreciate. The only nurse I met in person was on the day of my egg retrieval. She helped me prepare for the transfer. That nurse seemed nice, warm, and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
The clinic was clean, organized, and updated on technology. The receptionists were professional and nice, but just average. The financial counselor was the worst at managing my case. I had to reach out many times to get my questions answered because the follow up was poor. The only way to communicate with anyone with questions was to email my nurse and I will get directed from there. When you truly want to feel like just a number, then this clinic will make you feel like one.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ruben Alvero at Stanford University.
Describe Ruben Alvero's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Stanford University.
What specific things went wrong at Stanford University?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Stanford University.
A medication I needed for the egg retrieval was not called in even though I was told it was and I had to make many phone calls between my pharmacy and the nurse to prove that in fact it was not called in. Meeting with the financial counselor was a joke. He just came out of training, and clearly was very green. He didn't know answers to many questions. It was like pulling teeth to try to get to the bottom of things. We were charged for things that we didn't get on the protocol.
Sunnyvale

I felt like I had to call in [to Stanford University] all the time. I was always unsure of what I was doing. Nothing was explained well. One nurse was very kind and helped me set my appointment at another facility for my scan. This clinic has little room to actually preform exams the day they are needed...I was never informed my scan results had arrived. I called in the day of my appointment to make sure they had. I was told they arrived but they could not be found. The nurse had to call the clinic where I got my test completed to obtain another result. I called a second time to ensure the doctor received the results. I was told they were unsure. I arrived and asked in person and was told the doctor had just received my results when I arrived. I was given erroneous information regarding my coverage. I had to request the financial advisor call my insurance once again to confirm her version. She was incorrect.
How was your experience with Ruben Alvero at Stanford University?
Initially I thought he was very informative and easy to talk to. However; upon explaining my test results he was very cold and matter of fact. I didn’t feel that he saw me as a person just another patient. I was given a very low percentage in regards to getting pregnant and I asked for an explanation especially since my test results had been received by the doctor minutes before my appointment. I was essentially told not to have high hopes in getting pregnant with very little explanation.
Go in informed. Be prepared to potentially be treated as a number and not a person. That’s terrible to say but true.
I went in on my own and I explained I wished to conceive but have never tried to do so. I was given somewhat high hopes in my first visit. I was sent for some tests. After completing said test I had to call back and schedule another appointment. During that appointment Dr. Alvero and Teo unknown doctors who were never introduced to me and I was never asked if I was okay with being present followed him into my room. I again was all alone. All three were straight-faced when Dr.. Alvero told me I could not conceive due to various reasons. I’m addition he said I shouldn’t waste my money in attempting an IUI and I should forget about using my own eggs and use donor eggs and even then with IVF my percentage to conceive is very low. I sat there in shock not wanting to cry as all three doctors stared at me coldly. It was as if they were saying “ok, now you know you can’t conceive on your own. Chose a method and get back to us.”
I went in having already had a few test completed by my obgyn. The results were not great. I was asked to complete them again. The tests included hormone levels, thyroid test etc. I was asked to conduct a scan as well during my first cycle due to symptoms I had exhibited. My tests results showed I had poor egg quality, a diminished ovarian reserve and Salpingitis isthmica nodosa.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Stanford University.
I felt like I had to call in all the time. I was always unsure of what I was doing. Nothing was explained well. One nurse was very kind and helped me set my appointment at another facility for my scan. This clinic has little room to actually preform exams the day they are needed.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
Strengths are the phlebotomist was very kind. One nurse was also kind and listened to me when I became emotional. Weaknesses, the financial coordinator was terrible. She misinformed me about my insurance coverage; she told me I had 100% coverage when I only have partial coverage. Good thing I called before hand. I was also given a treatment plan without having completed my exams and scan. The doctor I saw was not the most kind or informative. The front desk was also kind and cordial. The building was clean and there was plenty of parking.
I had to pay $500+ for a scan. Overall I believe I paid $500 for visits. There were few because I went to another doctor.
What specific things went wrong at Stanford University?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Stanford University.
Sunnyvale
My first visit he said, “first god and then me,” which was very comforting to me. I think Dr Alvero was too vague, I wanted more information. I felt each doctor visit, he was right to the point and I wish he was more empathic...I wish he did multiple embryo transfer so we could have a higher change of getting pregnant, but the state that I live in they don’t do that
[Women & Infants Hospital staff] They always call when they say they going to call. Also they make themselves very available for whatever you need. The staff were very friendly and always had a smile on their faces. If you had any questions, they would make a point to answer them...[nurses] They would hold my hand and give me encouragement words as I cried when I received bad news
How was your experience with Ruben Alvero at Women & Infants Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ruben Alvero at Women & Infants Hospital?
Ask questions, which I did that more
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ruben Alvero at Women & Infants Hospital?
During my egg retrial, I told they could not find any sperm from my husband’s sample. When I asked if he from any spent from the frozen sample that my husband’s prior sample. The doctor was surprised to know that we had reserve. When we went to our follow up, he was not able to explained what went wrong he just suggested that my husband would have to do a more intense procedure the next time we did ivf.
Describe the protocols Ruben Alvero used in your cycles at Women & Infants Hospital and their degree of success.
I think it was basic. There was always a doctor on call if you had any questions. He was also able to clam my nerves the day of the transfer
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Women & Infants Hospital.
I loved the nurses. They would hold my hand and give me encouragement words as I cried when I received bad news
Describe your experience with Women & Infants Hospital.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ruben Alvero at Women & Infants Hospital.
About 10,000 dollars
Describe Ruben Alvero's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Women & Infants Hospital.
Women & Infants Hospital