6.1

Sunnyvale
1195 W. Fremont Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94087

2020, Unknown Success
We went to Dr Alvero after having had 2 failed egg stimulations with [another doctor]. We really felt something was “wrong “ and “ “missing”. Dr Alvero found that my thyroid levels were really poor and did my first ever saline infused sonogram- and found an endometrial polyp- which could have caused my infertility or miscarriages. The polyp was removed and then he proceed with a much more aggressive stimulation protocol then the other doctor, which led to 28 eggs retrieved.
All of the nursing staff there [at Stanford Fertility] are very compassionate, professional and well versed in infertility treatments...The strengths are organization, well spaced appointments, cleanliness , state of the art equipment and protocols that process patients quickly. The only weakness is that they are very busy and because of this maybe there is less privacy in the waiting room.
How was your experience with Ruben Alvero at Stanford University?
As stated earlier my husband and I were both very happy with his care. We also live 3 hours away from the clinic and he kept that in mind when making our appointments and also to accommodate us with some tele conference calls. This was super beneficial.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ruben Alvero at Stanford University?
Just know your medical history well and be prepared to make copies of all of your infertility documents if you started with another clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ruben Alvero at Stanford University?
Dr Alvero has a fantastic bedside demeanor, kind, patient, and never seems like he is in a rush. I also felt that he always knew US and our medical history. I’m addition, he never pressures you to make a decision or makes you feel like there is only his opinion. He’s great!
Describe the protocols Ruben Alvero used in your cycles at Stanford University and their degree of success.
We went to Dr Alvero after having had 2 failed egg stimulations with Dr Alex Steinleitner. We really felt something was “wrong “ and “ “missing”. Dr Alvero found that my thyroid levels were really poor and did my first ever saline infused sonogram- and found an endometrial polyp- which could have caused my infertility or miscarriages. The polyp was removed and then he proceed with a much more aggressive stimulation protocol then the other doctor, which led to 28 eggs retrieved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Stanford University. (Assigned nurse: Erica )
All of the nursing staff there are very compassionate, professional and well versed in infertility treatments.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ruben Alvero at Stanford University.
I really can’t remember off the top of my head. I do remember about $5,000 for egg stimulation medications, $1200 for endometrial polyp removal, all with insurance.
Describe Ruben Alvero's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Stanford University.
Due to my age, we were advised to do genetic testing ( something Dr Steinleitner did not recommend), and if we had had a genetically viable embryo, he would have transferred only that one. That made sense to us, after having had 2,2,2,3 embryos transferred with Dr Steinleitner with no genetic testing, that led to no pregnancies or miscarriages. We felt it was a ton of money wasted and extra emotional pain .
Stanford University
Sunnyvale

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr Alvero is patient and clearly explains the reasoning for choosing a particular treatment. He respected my opinions and assessed my comfort level with the treatment at every visit. When I had questions or concerns in between appointments he returned my calls promptly.... He is very willing and comfortable discussing the reality of the situation and the steps that we will take to address the issues... I did eset for insurance reasons.
Communication! Not being able to call directly is frustrating. On the weekends I’ve had to send a fax to get the attention of the clinic staff [Women's & Infants Hospital] because their answering service answers the phone. The coordinator did not check to see what I needed in terms of my insurance company before proceeding with my last round so I had to change my plan to complete a test required by the insuranc. This set me back another month. Communication is poor at best.
How was your experience with Ruben Alvero at Women & Infants Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ruben Alvero at Women & Infants Hospital?
Bring a notepad. Write down questions as you think of them during treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ruben Alvero at Women & Infants Hospital?
Describe the protocols Ruben Alvero used in your cycles at Women & Infants Hospital and their degree of success.
3 letrozole 3 iui Ivf
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Women & Infants Hospital.
Some of the nurses are excellent. Go above and beyond - one spent hours on the phone helping me deal with a prior authorization issue over a weekend that would’ve resulted in a cancelled cycle. Some of the others are less compassionate. They’ve done it a million times and forget that as a patient I may not have done this before.
Describe your experience with Women & Infants Hospital.
Communication! Not being able to call directly is frustrating. On the weekends I’ve had to send a fax to get the attention of the clinic staff because their answering service answers the phone. The coordinator did not check to see what I needed in terms of my insurance company before proceeding with my last round so I had to change my plan to complete a test required by the insuranc. This set me back another month. Communication is poor at best.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ruben Alvero at Women & Infants Hospital.
I’m unsure of the costs, my insurance has paid for everything so far.
Describe Ruben Alvero's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Women & Infants Hospital.
I did eset for insurance reasons.
What specific things went wrong at Women & Infants Hospital?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Women & Infants Hospital.
I had an issue with prior authorization for drugs. And then when I had my retrieval a different doctor questioned the meds that I took, even after I confirmed them with the staff. This doctor then told me I wouldn’t be having a fresh transfer while I was in the recovery room. My doctor called me later to confirm I took the correct meds and was having a fresh transfer.
Women & Infants Hospital
Providence
We tried the antagonist protocol twice [with Dr. Ruben Alvero] , the second time being with higher doses of meds. The last cycle, we did estrogen priming protocol due to my poor response...always made me feel important and that my feelings mattered. He always made me feel like I could ask any questions I had or share all my concerns...did everything he could to try to figure out what was causing our unexplained infertility. Each IVF cycle gave us more information and as hard as it all was for me to hear, he always did a great job explaining everything and giving us all our options. He never pressured us into anything but gave his expert advice and what our chances were for each cycle.
Although we decided to stop treatment, if we decide we are going to pursue treatment again, we will 100% return to this facility [Women & Infants Hospital] and under the care of Dr. Alvero. Communication was great and I never felt like I annoyed anyone when I called to ask a silly question. I loved this facility. They made a very difficult time in our lives a little bit easier... My husband and I were pleased from start to finish.
How was your experience with Ruben Alvero at Women & Infants Hospital?
Dr. Alvero did everything he could to try to figure out what was causing our unexplained infertility. Each IVF cycle gave us more information and as hard as it all was for me to hear, he always did a great job explaining everything and giving us all our options. He never pressured us into anything but gave his expert advice and what our chances were for each cycle.
Choose him for your doctor!
Dr. Alvero always made me feel important and that my feelings mattered. He always made me feel like I could ask any questions I had or share all my concerns.
We tried the antagonist protocol twice, the second time being with higher doses of meds. The last cycle, we did estrogen priming protocol due to my poor response.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Women & Infants Hospital.
The nursing staff was absolutely AMAZING. I cried my last appointment simply because of how compassionate they had been to me. When they called with updates, they always made a personal connection and made me feel like they truly cared about me and the outcome of our cycles.
Describe your experience with Women & Infants Hospital.
I think the clinic is a great place to seek infertility treatments. My husband and I were pleased from start to finish. Although we decided to stop treatment, if we decide we are going to pursue treatment again, we will 100% return to this facility and under the care of Dr. Alvero. Communication was great and I never felt like I annoyed anyone when I called to ask a silly question. I loved this facility. They made a very difficult time in our lives a little bit easier.
We are lucky to have great health insurance in Massachusetts. The costs were mostly covered by insurance, which the exception of medications and some of the surgery costs.
Women & Infants Hospital