Medical SchoolUCSF
ResidencyBaylor
FellowshipStanford U.
1195 W. Fremont Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ruth Lathi to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Stanford University to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality
When you can actually get an appointment with her [Dr. Lathi] she is personable, however, she is very hard to schedule with. She listens but is very set in her own ways and does not let you try other options nor is she open to different treatment plans. She is direct and NOT warm and fuzzy. She left me hanging for LONG weekends after both egg retrievals which each had 9 mature eggs retrieved had poor fertilization. I feel like a good doctor should reach out at such an emotional and painful time.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
Dr. Lathi is very smart and direct, however, she was so confident and then things went completely south so I lost faith in her very early on after our first egg retrieval. She tried to use ICSI for our 2nd round and was confident that was the issue, which it ended up not being. She was completely wrong about everything my body was doing so we had to switch clinics.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
Careful to trust her, she has a one track mind and doesn't deviate from her set plan. Maybe if you're an easy, straight forward case IVF will work for you under her care, it sure didn't for me and that was a surprise even to her, which doesn't build my confidence in her. IUI was a success so I would go to her for that.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
When you can actually get an appointment with her she is personable, however, she is very hard to schedule with. She listens but is very set in her own ways and does not let you try other options nor is she open to different treatment plans. She is direct and NOT warm and fuzzy. She left me hanging for LONG weekends after both egg retrievals which each had 9 mature eggs retrieved had poor fertilization. I feel like a good doctor should reach out at such an emotional and painful time. One was Thanksgiving weekend, the other Easter and no response from her.
Describe the protocols Ruth Lathi used in your cycles at Stanford University and their degree of success.
Both cycles used Menopur (150) and Follistim (300) for 10 days. She said I was a straightforward case with this protocol. It generated 9 mature eggs both cycles but the fertilization wasn't very good. ONLY ONE the first cycle - we did an investigation to see what went wrong but no one would speak up. Something was off. The 2nd cycle 8 mature eggs, 3 fertilized and made it to Day 3 (I wish I would've transferred them at that point) but not to Day 5.
They are just plain too busy. They ordered the wrong meds at times - ovidrel instead of ganirelix. Hold times on the phone have improved but they are always very rushed.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
Strengths - smart doctors, they will take almost any patient regardless of age or diagnoses. Weaknesses - VERY busy - the waiting room is always full, only offered Day 5 transfers with genetic testing for me, no Day 2 or 3. I felt more like a number and when it didn't work they were like..."Oh well"....I wished they had acted more like "What's next" since I still didn't have a baby.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ruth Lathi at Stanford University.
My insurance did pay for some of my care and that is why I went to Stanford. Meds were over $5000 both rounds.
Describe Ruth Lathi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Stanford University.
After my failed cycles she determined it was my egg quality but my results were much different when we switched clinics. She was only going to transfer one embryo. Stanford is very against multiples.
2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Dr. Lathi knows her stuff. If you are someone who needs a lot of emotional coddling, she may not be the doctor for you. If you are looking for someone who can explain the ins and out, where’s and whyfores of the process, a doctor who will be honest with you both clinically and emotionally, then she is a great choice.... Dr. Lathi is now helping me to decide whether I will do IVF, or continue with Follistim and IUI.
2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
As I mentioned earlier, Dr. Lathi is not warn and fuzzy, but with that said, she is very compassionate. She talks through her line of thinking in a very palatable/understandable way, she addresses all of my concerns in a thoughtful manner, and she really blew me away when I learned I was about to miscarry for the third time. There was no sense of being hurried along. She sat with me, listened to all of my sadness and fear, and really helped me through the moment, and the “what next.”
Dr. Lathi knows her stuff. If you are someone who needs a lot of emotional coddling, she may not be the doctor for you. If you are looking for someone who can explain the ins and out, where’s and whyfores of the process, a doctor who will be honest with you both clinically and emotionally, then she is a great choice. I think she’s also a great choice for medical professionals undergoing the fertility journey.
Dr. Lathi is definitely not the most warm and fuzzy doctor that I have seen at Stanford, and I’ve seen a lot of doctors there. I am in the medical field, and what I appreciate most is her candor, her willingness to talk through her thought process, citing current research, and then pausing to recognize that there is more to the fertility journey than numbers and logic. I recently experienced my third miscarriage, first discovered as an empty sac on ultrasound with her. She was so gentle, kind and compassionate. She really took the time to help me through the moment, to encourage me to be gentle with myself, and to be realistic, but never give up hope. I so appreciated her way of being with me. For a doctor that I never really associated with “warm and fuzzy,” she was really really wonderful when I needed her to be.
I never thought I would do IVF. I’m a “choice mom” (meaning I’m single and used donor sperm to conceive my son), and had very little difficulty the first time around. I conceived him on my 3rd IUI when I was 39 years old. The second time around, I’ve had three miscarriages and three doctors, and now, at 43, I’m considering IVF. We went from natural (0 BFPs), to Letrazole (2 BFPs, 2 miscarriages), to follistim (1 BFP, 1 miscarriage) all with IUI. Dr. Lathi is now helping me to decide whether I will do IVF, or continue with Follistim and IUI.
Each doctor at Stanford is assigned a team of med techs who do the rooming and set up for ultrasound. Their nurses do much of the phone work, at least, when you are undergoing IUI. I suspect you see the nurses in person when you’re undergoing IVF a little more frequently. They are always polite, courteous, and empathetic.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
I’ve been really happy with Stanford overall. I will say that if you are looking to have all of your care performed by the same physician, this may not be the clinic for you. There are a team of doctors here, and they all work together, so while you see your primary doctor as often as possible, it isn’t always your doctor performing insemination or ultrasound if they are not on duty when you require your specific treatment or intervention
My insurance doesn’t cover anything. About $345 per ultrasound. $600 per IUI. IVF with PGD testing is about 25K
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
she [Dr. Lathi] most always was on time. We went through two IUI’s and moved forward with ICSI next. When it was time for the FET my lining was not responding to the supplemental protocol so we cancelled. Dr. Lathi changed my protocol which worked wonders because I’m pregnant now. Definitely recommend!...She treated me more like a human than other doctors. Answered all my questions. Was upfront about any news. Always ended our appts by asking if I had questions.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
Dr Lathi met all our expectations and I will definitely see her again for future pregnancies. Her and the team were professional and she most always was on time. We went through two IUI’s and moved forward with ICSI next. When it was time for the FET my lining was not responding to the supplemental protocol so we cancelled. Dr. Lathi changed my protocol which worked wonders because I’m pregnant now. Definitely recommend!
Come prepared with questions. She’s always willing to answer.
IUI 1&2 - Letrozole 2.5 with hcg trigger IVF cycle- low stim for pcos witb follistim, Menopur, ganirelix. Trigger was a Lipton trigger to prevent hyperstimulation. FET #1 attempt- estradiol to quiet ovaries and thicken lining. Didn’t respond to the estradiol so canceled. FET success- Letrozole cd3-7 - 5mg, cd8-14 Menopur, ovidrel trigger cd 15. Transfer cd 21. Lining ended up at 8.4.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Stanford University. (Assigned nurse: Nadia)
I spoke to several nurses throughout my care but Nadia responded to most questions. She got me in for an emergency visit at one point and answered a lot of my questions. The weekend nurses filled in occasionally answered basic questions but Nadia was able to be more helpful to independent cases. Veronica the medical assistant was my life saver through this process. She laughed with me and cried with me. It makes such a difference when the staff is personable in a place like this. I would go back to this clinic just to visit Veronica. She is amazing!
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
Strengths- incredibly smart doctors. Short wait times. Quick responses via MyChart. Weaknesses- only negative experience was with Dr Agajonova. She made me feel like I never was going to be able to conceive more than once. At which point I switched doctors. I would have liked to know more about the behind the doors process with our embryos. What the embryologist did, what’s protocol was use to freeze and thaw?
We had 25k with insurance and went over the max between two IUI’s and IVF
Dr Lathi advised us to transfer one and gave the reasoning behind it. She told us our risks and let us make the final decision. After a lot of research, tons of time passing and listening to our gut we transferred two embryos.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Lathi was the only doctor who had me evaluated for endometritis, which I tested positive for... Dr. Lathi is an academic and obviously abreast of the latest research studies/papers. That's exactly what I wanted - I didn't need my RE to be my life coach or spend a lot of time talking about my feelings. What I needed was someone smart, thoughtful and could ultimately get me pregnant! That's not to say she wasn't empathetic. I felt like she really cared about me but was also action-oriented.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
Dr. Lathi's style was perfectly suited for me. After multiple pregnancy losses, I had seen a slew of doctors and run various panels. Everything looked "ok". Dr. Lathi was the only doctor who had me evaluated for endometritis, which I tested positive for. Although we'll never know if that was the real underlying reason for my infertility, it was the only anomaly that was discovered and she was the only doctor to identify it. Dr. Lathi is an academic and obviously abreast of the latest research studies/papers. That's exactly what I wanted - I didn't need my RE to be my life coach or spend a lot of time talking about my feelings. What I needed was someone smart, thoughtful and could ultimately get me pregnant! That's not to say she wasn't empathetic. I felt like she really cared about me but was also action-oriented. She was extremely efficient. Always on time for appointments, procedures with Dr. Lathi were quick and less uncomfortable than when other doctors did them, and she was direct in answering all my questions. I can see how some people may feel rushed, but my sense is that it's just her communication style. Also, both my husband and I loved how she was very forward looking. After each pregnancy loss, she was empathetic but also very positive about our next cycle. It was very much "ok, what's next", which was the push we needed. She also always had a plan - I felt like Dr. Lathi had the experience to adjust my protocol as needed, and based off of how my body was responding to the medication. Can't say enough how much I loved her and that I would highly recommend her to anyone suffering from Recurrent Loss.
Know that she is direct and to the point. Don't misinterpret that as cold.
Dr. Lathi spent a lot of time with me to walk through my history, diagnosis and IVF plan. I had recurrent miscarriages (5 pregnancy losses) and felt like she really took the time to read through my file, check prior test results through other doctors and then thoughtfully recommend other tests. She was always on top of my case file, even when I would sometimes forget certain events - after 3 years, even your personal medical history can get a little confusing. Her communication style is succinct, so I can understand why some may find her aloof, but I never felt rushed and she answered all my questions. With my 5th pregnancy, I had "graduated" from Dr. Lathi to my regular OB and then suffered another pregnancy loss at 16 weeks. I called Dr. Lathi and she took the time to call me during her lunch hour that same day.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
Front desk and call service was a hit or miss. Sometimes they were great (super efficient, prompt at calling back after I notified them of a certain event in my cycle). Other times, you would wait at the receptionist's desk for 30+ minutes. I also had a couple times where I would call to notify the beginning of a cycle or of a positive OPK test. I knew that a visit to the clinic was needed within X number of days, and I wouldn't get a call back. It added a lot of stress, where I would call multiple times in the next few days and still get the answering service. Everything worked out in the end but I do think it added a lot of unnecessary stress to an already stressful time. Separately, the main phlebotomist at the clinic is AMAZING. Super calming, sweet and every blood draw was painless & smooth (I have tiny/difficult veins). Loved her.
Dr. Lathi strongly recommended single embryo transfers. When I asked her the reasoning why, she said there were less complications and risks associated with it. I completely agreed and still am very thankful that we only did single transfers.
Other, Unexplained
I do believe that she [Dr Lathi] is a good doctor and cares about her patients she just isn't good at expressing it. It took the loss of the child that we conceived through IUI for her to show emotion. She is efficient when it comes performing procedures, I do trust her and she shows confidence. However, she doesn't explain the process or show what is happening on the screen often. She doesn't present the statistics or lab results in their entirety. When she does explain something it is quick and short. She gets in and gets out.
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
I do believe that she is a good doctor and cares about her patients she just isn't good at expressing it. It took the loss of the child that we conceived through IUI for her to show emotion. She is efficient when it comes performing procedures, I do trust her and she shows confidence. However, she doesn't explain the process or show what is happening on the screen often. She doesn't present the statistics or lab results in their entirety. When she does explain something it is quick and short. She gets in and gets out.
Research the infertility process prior to the visit, come with questions and don't let her leave till they are all answered so that you understand.
It took several visits for Dr. Lathi to warm up and have some bedside manner. For most every visit she was quick to get in and out. She didn't volunteer information about he process or ask if we had questions. When I did have questions she would answer them but I felt rushed and like it was a bother. She was often running late, I one E airhead 45 min in an exam room. If it weren't for my husband being with me to ask what was going on, I probably would have been forgotten, I don't recall being asked "how are you doing?" I think it's important for Dr.'s to check in with their patients.
For my first 3 IUI's we did them all natural, no hormones and no trigger shots. This was a decision by Lathi, myself and my cardiologist. I have congenital heart disease and we wanted to minimize the chance of twins. We also were diagnosed with unexplained fertility so didn't feel like there was a problem with my eggs or ovulation. After this produced no results we opted to try clomid and and ovidrel. This was my idea and I wanted to take the chance. This worked and we conceived twins.(She didn't perform this IUI) LOL! It worked, but I lost one twin at 8.5 weeks and the other at 20 weeks. I was in the care of my OBGYN when I lost at 20 weeks.
For the most part the nursing staff is great. However it seems to be a different nurse every visit. It would be nice if the nurse was the same nurse at least with the same doctor to begin to develop a relationship.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
He front reception staff is kind. Imani is the lead front desk manager and is amazing and a ray of sunshine! There is no financial consultation prior to treatment, they only give you a piece of paper breaking down cost without insurance. They have incorrectly billed for treatment several times and generally aren't very helpful, to their defense I think they only have 2 people in the billing department. Originally when we first started at the clinic it could take a 30 min wait on the phone to get through to a customer service rep to change an apt, ask a question, prescription issue etc. once you get the hang of how he call system works it goes a little faster. I did place a complaint and since then I have seen an improvement in wait time and question turn around time. There needs to be better communication between patient, nurse and Doctor. For example our last IUI my doctor (Dr. Shah) called to tell me my pregnancy results were negative. Later that evening a nurse called to tell me my results again. The next morning another nurse called to tall me my results were negative, 3 times of hearing negative is heartbreaking! For a new patient, don't expect to see the same Doctor every time. Don't expect to get a quick response for your questions, you will need to stay on top of people and advocate for yourself. Also don't hesitate to express your concerns they do listen and I have noticed improvements.
We have insurance that covers up to 50% of 6 IUI's. They didn't code my husbands lab visits correctly and we were billed 100%. I have yet to see a bill for our first 4 IUI's
Sunnyvale
Dr. Lathi is a good, friendly, competent doctor who would answer all my questions with one exception...If seeing the same doctor and having a strong rapport is important to you, perhaps there is a clinic that does it better.
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
Dr. Lathi is a good, friendly, competent doctor who would answer all my questions with one exception. No one at Stanford wanted to tell me my changes of successfully undergoing the process (I believe it is because my chances were good and they did not want to get my hopes up). In the clinic I saw a total of four other doctors when she was busy, so if continuity with the same doctor is very important to you, Stanford might not be the clinic for you. Wait times to see her would vary from 5 minutes to 45 minutes, which could be frustrating.
As I mentioned before there may be a wait to see the doctor, and depending on everyone's schedule you may not see her for important visits (she did neither my egg extraction or implantation), so again if seeing the same doctor and having a strong rapport is important to you, perhaps there is a clinic that does it better.
I do believe they cared about my outcome, and Dr. Lathi (and all the doctors I saw) were very happy when my progress went well. Again, I do not know what happens when things go wrong, which is when I think patient treatment is key. I was at times frustrated with the clinic as a whole because I at times felt my time was not all that important to them, but I did not feel that way when I spoke to any of the doctors.
The nurses were all very competent and very kind to me. Again I wanted to be informed and did not really want or care about being slowly lead through everything, so my desires may be very different than others. I got to know the receptionists and some of the nurses well and we would chat before I got to see the doctor, but in general they did their job (and did it well) but did not do anything extra (which is what I wanted).
2013
Dr. Lathi was efficient....Arm yourself with knowledge and coming with a list of questions. and also be ready to hear it bluntly... drs cant tell you they are going to get you pregnant.. they would not be doing their job if they did this. they can tell you what research says, and give % of success..
2013
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
Dr. Lathi was efficient. The entire practice was not very personable.
arm yourself with knowledge and coming with a list of questions. and also be ready to hear it bluntly... drs cant tell you they are going to get you pregnant.. they would not be doing their job if they did this. they can tell you what research says, and give % of success.
These clinics forget that we, the patients, do not understand every blood test number, every procedure, etc. They assume you understand exactly what is is happening, when you do not. They do not look at the individual... they move you through the clinic as quickly as possible.
they could not keep up with what medicines i was taking. very frustrating.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
The office was scattered... always asking me what supplements/current meds I was on. It was very frustrating. After my 2nd IUI, I called to say I would be taking a break from treatments and never heard back from the practice. Seemed like I was a number and not important. I am sure they are very busy, but it made it seem like my fertility plan was not customized to me.
Sunnyvale
Dr. Lathi has been understanding and also follows up quickly with my questions in MyChart after my initial consultation. She adjusted my medications after my AMH results came back, and recommended supplements to get my body ready for the retrieval....She listened to my questions and supported my decision to freeze my eggs.... Ask as many questions as you have and feel comfortable following up after the appointments.
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
She listened to my questions and supported my decision to freeze my eggs.
I am still in the process and will start the cycle in June.
They were organized, kind, professional, understanding, and helpful.
Describe your experience with Stanford University.
The clinic was clean, organized, professional, and timely. I felt like I was in good hands from the moment I walked in. I also really appreciated the kindness the lab technician showed me and how she supported me and made me feel at ease during the bloodwork.
My next payment is $8000 plus bloodwork and medications.
2013 - 2014
2013 - 2014
How was your experience with Ruth Lathi at Stanford University?
She is friendly, but a little impersonal. I never felt like we got to know her well nor did she get to know us. I bet if you said my name to her, she wouldn't remember me. I do think she knows her stuff medically speaking. She suggested, given our situation, to skip IUI and go straight to IVF. It took just two transfers and we now have an adorable 7-month-old.
She is efficient and capable. If you don't need someone to hold your hand and make you feel better, then she is a good doctor to consider.
Stanford in general felt a little like a puppy mill. They had a process that I was pushed through. For the most part it worked, but I did not feel there was much warmth.
they put together a written plan of what hormones to take when which was really helpful. they were also available on call for emergency phone calls when I had some light bleeding post transfer.