Medical SchoolYale
Warrington
865 Easton Road Suite 290
Warrington, PA 18976
1-888-761-1967
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ryan Martin to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
Dr. Martin and his nursing staff are truly the best thing that I could have by my side during this process. He was always very calm, patient and explain things in times that I could understand. He never rushed our visit and always gave me the chance to ask questions.... For my first egg retrieval Dr. Martin placed me on an antagonist protocol. The reason we needed to seek IVF help was my husband suffers from male factor in fertility. Otherwise I have three healthy children from my previous marriage and no history of any issues conceiving.
European, Latino, Black or African-American
How was your experience with Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility?
As I have said in previous chances, Dr. Martin MD as a clinician is far more than I could ever expect from my doctor. I wish more doctors were like him. Whenever he saw that I was getting down in the process he will try to make sure to get me to laugh or smile and remind me that keeping a positive mindset is a big part of the process. He seem to always be involved in my care even after I was realeased from the clinic after my pregnancy. From the very first consultation when I met him and he sat down and drew a diagram out of what my care plan would look like to make sure that I understood everything that was going to happen to me I had a great feeling about him. Even after my husband’s job has relocate from Pennsylvania to New York three hours away I went to consultations with other doctors and did not find anyone that I felt transferring my care too and now decide to drive three hours each way to see him because I believe that much in him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do not be afraid to ask questions. He will answer every question and to him none are stupid questions. Give him the chance to allow you to feel comfortable
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Martin and his nursing staff are truly the best thing that I could have by my side during this process. He was always very calm, patient and explain things in times that I could understand. He never rushed our visit and always gave me the chance to ask questions. When my second embryo transfer resulted in a missed miscarriage Dr. Martin’s office staff reach out to me throughout the entire process And I was also shocked that he personally called me at least three times just to check on how I was doing mentally as well as physically. It was the most comforting feeling ever to know that I was not alone from a clinical perspective and even as human beings.
Describe the protocols Ryan Martin used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
For my first egg retrieval Dr. Martin placed me on an antagonist protocol. The reason we needed to seek IVF help was my husband suffers from male factor in fertility. Otherwise I have three healthy children from my previous marriage and no history of any issues conceiving. He explained to me that we would have to use IVF with ICSI because my current husband‘s sperm had to be surgically retrieved . During my first egg retrieval we used an hCG trigger however it caused me to overstimulate so now in my second egg retrieval cycle we are using lupron instead. After our miscarriage when we weren’t sure if we should proceed with IVF Dr. Martin explained that he felt we still had a chance because my body has proven that knows what to do in regard to my uterus, we just need a good embryo to implant. He said he felt as though the sperm was not a huge issue because we were able to get 3 embryos to blastocyst stage and highly recommended that this next cycle we utilize PGS testing to give ourselves the best cancelled of implanting a good embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Debbie Dancer)
Dr. Martin’s nurse Debbie, is like a ray of sunshine. She was always feed it to hold my hand, get me through the hard times and explain things to me. They were times that she would be off for the day but would still make sure to call me with my results because she wanted to be the one to provide them to me. You can tell that she has a genuine caring and compassionate spirit for her patients and it shows in everything that she does.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic has an amazing clinicals. Everybody that I encountered in regards to nurses and doctors were amazing. My only concern is the financial stand. It is hard to get them on the phone, they do not follow through with responses quickly and you have to make sure that you are on top of your benefits if using insurance or no exactly what you’re paying for so you can catch errors and get them correct The clinic has an amazing clinical staff. Everybody I encountered in regards to nurses and doctors were amazing. My only concern is the financial stand. It is hard to get them on the phone, through with responses quickly and you have to make sure that you are on top of your benefits if using insurance or know exactly what you’re paying for so you can catch errands and get them corrected. Do not be afraid to make a little noise to get the response that you need from the billing and financial department. Dealing with them is a pain but more than worth it to have the clinical staff on my side.
When I lived in Pennsylvania morning monitoring appointments when that hard for me. Once I move to New York however monitoring between 7 and 9 AM was a little more difficult to get to considering I was driving three hours each way to get the air. One time I arrived after 10 AM but I was able to drive to the Chesterbrook facility and still see my doctor as he was there that afternoon. They understood my trip and we’re more than willing to help accommodate.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility.
I don’t recall as my insurance covered everything except genetic testing. PGS testing is $3400
Describe Ryan Martin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
For my first transfer we only transfer the one embryo. My second transfer was two embryos because we only had to laugh and Dr. Martin MD is open to discussing this with me. I told him that my insurance only allows us three chances and I would rather him play at two and still have one more chance laughed to go through another egg retrieval. He helped me weigh all the options and was open to my feelings and agreed to transfer two embryos in the second transfer. I love that we came to that decision together
Chesterbrook
Dr. Martin and his nursing staff are truly the best thing that I could have by my side during this process. He was always very calm, patient and explain things in times that I could understand. He never rushed our visit and always gave me the chance to ask questions.... Whenever he saw that I was getting down in the process he will try to make sure to get me to laugh or smile and remind me that keeping a positive mindset is a big part of the process.
European, Latino, Black or African-American
How was your experience with Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility?
For my first egg retrieval Dr. Martin placed me on an antagonist protocol. The reason we needed to seek IVF help was my husband suffers from male factor in fertility. Otherwise I have three healthy children from my previous marriage and no history of any issues conceiving. He explained to me that we would have to use IVF with AC because my current husband‘s phone had to be surgically retrieve. During my first egg retrieval we used an hCG trigger however it caused me to overstimulate so now in my second egg retrieval cycle we are using a little brown sugar instead. After our miscarriage when we weren’t sure if we should proceed with IVF Dr. Martin explained that he felt we still had a chance because my body has proven that knows what to do in regard to my uterus, we just need a good embryo to implant. He said he felt as though the sperm was not a huge issue because we were able to get 3 embryos to blastocyst stage and highly recommended that this next cycle we utilize PGS testing to give ourselves the best cancelled of implanting a good embryo.
Chesterbrook
Dr. Martin has always made himself available to us for any questions that we may have. We just finished our IVF consult with him and we feel so confident in our understanding and ability to move forward. I feel very lucky that Dr. Martin doesn’t just see me for my lab values, but treats me as a patient. He is very straight forward but also has an excellent bedside manner...I have unexplained infertility. I ovulate on my own with regular cycles and my husband is healthy. We started with clomid plus trigger plus timed intercourse. But clomid overstimulated my ovaries and we ended up switching to femara plus trigger plus timed intercourse. This our fourth and final cycle of timed intercourse. If this cycle fails, we will move onto IVF later in the year.
How was your experience with Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Believe that he has your best interest in mind and trust his process.
Doctor Martin has always made us feel that he has our best interest at heart. He is interested in our lives and is determined to help give us the family we have always dreamed of.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Debbie)
The nursing staff is so kind and compassionate. I understand why they are so compassionate, however sometimes I felt like I was being handled with kid’s gloves. Which is not a bad thing at all because some women need that :)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It is very easy to contact the office and schedule appointments that fit your needs. They have always phoned with reminders of appointments and also send out helpful emails with different tips and success stories from past patients.
I am very lucky with the insurance that I have the costs have been minimal. However, IVF is not covered. Luckily we qualify for Shady Grove’s shared risk program which is very affordable.
Warrington
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Martin has excellent bedside manner. He always remains positive and tried not give unfavorable information in a kind way. He has been open to phone calls and visits, and never makes his patients feel rushed... funny, personable and kind. He works hard to try and lighten the mood and often makes jokes in the office. He is also gentle. Vaginal ultrasounds are not the most comfortable thing and he does a great job and easing that discomfort.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr. Martin is very funny, personable and kind. He works hard to try and lighten the mood and often makes jokes in the office. He is also gentle. Vaginal ultrasounds are not the most comfortable thing and he does a great job and easing that discomfort.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Ask your questions. He is more than willing to answer anything you throw at him and if he doesn't know the answer, hell get back to you. Don't be shy. Ask what you need to know and ask about risks.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Describe the protocols Ryan Martin used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
I believe I was on an antagonist protocol. I did the Estrogen patch followed by menopur and follistim for egg stimulation. Ganirelix was introduced to wards the end to prevent ovulation prior to egg retrieval. I was taking 450 ml of follistim per day (350 AM/ 150 pm), two vials & then three vials of menopur (one saline solution with the powder menopur) in the evenings and one syringe of the ganirelix. Not sure of the dosage of menopur or ganirelix but those were the instructions. I had appts every other day or so and sometimes daily. Bloodwork was obtained at every visit. I also had a saline sonogram twice during the course of treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Victoria Bennis)
Tori is very kind. She is sometimes unavailable but the other nurses do a good job of covering for each other. She seemed a bit less knowledgeable than our previous nurse, Debbie Dancer, but she was ok.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Shady Grove Fertility (SGF) is a very well run clinic overall. The staff is friendly and efficient, their facilities are clean and they seem invested in your success at becoming a parent. They only do procedures out of their Chesterbrook office which is not very convenient. There are times the Bala office has been closed unexpectedly which is inconvenient as well. The Chesterbrook office usually does well accommodating that. The decision board is less personable. They seem to treat patients more like a number in that they do not take into consideration contextual variables. They can and will drop you from the shared risk program if you do not conceive within two tries. They label it low ovarian reserve or response and do not consider that grief plays a role. They push the phrase, "you get up to six tries and you either get a baby or your money back." They do not spend a lot of time going over reasons you could be dis-enrolled from the program which is misleading. Also, the services are extremely expensive and there is little information offered about financial resources for patients.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Monitoring occurred between the hours of 7-9am daily. It was a well-oiled machine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Our total cost for the Shared Risk Program with the genetic testing for all embryos was $28,000. The cost of visits were included. We probably spent an additional $300-$400 on meds for those three trials of IVF. We spent about $300-$400 on IUI with the cost of visit co-pays and medication over six tries.
Describe Ryan Martin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
My doctor recommended one embryo be transferred but was ok with transferring two at most. That's how we got pregnant with our twins. After losing them, he recommends only transferring one at a time.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
2012 - 2014
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
We had a 2 unsuccessful rounds prior to conceiving our son - Dr. Martin always had a follow up plan for when we were ready to try again as well as words of encouragement...He was easy to talk to. He has an easy going personality that instantly made me feel comfortable.
2012 - 2014
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Ryan Martin at Yale University?
He was easy to talk to. He has an easy going personality that instantly made me feel comfortable. We had a 2 unsuccessful rounds prior to conceiving our son- Dr. Martin always had a follow up plan for when we were ready to try again as well as words of encouragement.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ryan Martin at Yale University?
It's difficult to offer advice having gone through this process. Every single situation is different, every reason for seeking fertility treatment is different and everyone seeking fertility has a different personality and emotional threshold. I could say relax and trust him! But relaxing is easier said than done.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ryan Martin at Yale University?
Dr. Martin and his nurse Kree made both myself and my husband feel like we were not just their patients but their friend/family. They were always concerned with our emotional well being through the fertility process. I still keep in touch with them even after our son was born. They both allowed me to cry, ask as many questions as I needed to, and contact them after hours with questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Yale University. (Assigned nurse: Lakresha)
When, after my third round of IVF I finally had a positive pregnancy test, I came in for an appointment Kree brought me into an exam room and gave me a huge hug and we jumped up and down together! It was enthusiastic as well as discreet(I would never want to flaunt my success in front of other women who may have not had good news that day). She made me feel special every time I went in.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Yale University.
The blood work appointments in the morning were the 1 thing I did not like. It was first come first served and you were a number then. The wait was never too long but having to wait with women going through this process is not pleasant. There was a lot of nervous chit chat that could turn competitive. I would wear headphones and tune it out.
Yale University
New Haven
Dr Martin has been very friendly and treated us like we were the only patients that he has. He ensured we understood ever step of the process and continues to keep us positive and moving toward our goal...He is extremely through so if you have questions don't be afraid to ask them...My wife had to use Clomid and a trigger shot for 4 TI cycles and the same for 1 IUI cycle. Each cycle the drugs were working as prescribed and we had no set backs just never got pregnant.
Dr Martin was phenomenal from the first time he met us and each and every time there after. He always made sure we knew what our next step in the process is/was and makes us feel comfortable like we have the same goal and not just a number.
He is extremely through so if you have questions don't be afraid to ask them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Hallie)
Hallie was very responsive even when we were frazzled or emotional about things not going our way. She ensured we were comfortable and always responded in a timely manner on all emails and phone calls.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
The overall clinic is great. They try to schedule appointments in the most convenient fashions so it does not interfere with your day. They have very clean facilities and work with you to the best of their ability.
Meds ranged between $25-100 and IUI procedure was $1800.
not applicable
2 IUI, IVF
Dr Martin was the first doctor to take all the time I needed to explain with compassion the treatment protocol, my last doctor experience was terrible, I'm so thankful for meeting the right doctor and group bc now I feel comfortable with fertility treatments...I am just starting the IVF protocol, so all the treatment strategies aren't determined yet. I was recommended IVF bc of my age and the fact that I had treatments in the past that failed.
2 IUI, IVF
Just listen to what he has to say ans how he explains it.
Tori was patient and followed up with me after I needed time to process the IVF decision. She's great!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
So far I have nothing bad to say. Truly! This experience has been hard but 100% supportive. Everyone at the clinic I go to has been wonderful, and has taken the time to educate me and answer all my questions.
24K and meds were seperate
Dr Martin highly recommends PSG testing and for that reason will only transfer one at a time. I am pleased with this.
4 IUI, IVF
He [Dr. Martin] made me feel confident his plans would be carried out as intended, even relating to what our insurance covered etc. Extremely informative, thoughtful, and candid. Very calm and direct.
4 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Ryan Martin at Yale University?
Doctors are mostly professional and caring at that level and in my limited experience. He did however have a way of communicating his questions and thoughts clearly which made me feel kconfident his plans would be carried out as intended, even relating to what our insurance covered etc.
Extremely informative, thoughtful, and candid. Very calm and direct. Interactive with other staff and very clear with instructions. Everyone is on the same page.
Yale University